[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here take MAOIs? How are they treating you? I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: MAOI.png (6 KB, 431x250) Image search: [Google]
MAOI.png
6 KB, 431x250
Does anyone here take MAOIs?

How are they treating you?

I am aware that they are rare these days, but I am curious.
>>
>>26935550
I took an maoi with 3 grams of mushrooms once. I'll never do that again
>>
>>26935576
What happened, exactly, if you do not mind?
>>
>>26935603
I tripped like I aye 10 grams and haven't really been the same since
>>
Come on MAOI friends!
>>
>>26935624

Was it just an amplification, or did it alter the trip in other ways? On erowid and on other places, the trip reports sound nightmarish.
>>
>>26935946
>check the trip reports
>someone takes MAOI's with mushrooms and has an uncomfortably intense experience
>"oh, it was because I took too different kinds of mushrooms and that's SPIRITUALLY WRONG"
Fuck psychfags.
>>
>>26936065
maoi's aren't a different kind of mushroom. They're a compound that's used in combination with DMT containing substances (as in ayahuasca) to allow it to be orally active.
>>
>>26936123
I know. This person took two different types of psilocybin containing mushrooms in addition to an MAOI, which they didn't even know anything about, and then when they had extreme results they completely discounted the MAOI and blamed it on using two kinds of mushrooms purely because that's some kind of spiritual violation.
>>
>>26935550
Holy shit that cyclopropyl group is turning me on.
God bless big pharma.
>>
>>26935550

During one of my deeper depressions I tried to see if I could get a psychiatrist to prescribe something other than different SSRIs and SNRIs (which do nothing for me).

They tried all sorts of other agents, some of which did interesting things, but none really took care of the depression all that much. But they absolutely refused to even consider MAOIs, not even the selective reversible ones.

Eventually I struck out on my own and figured out something on my own, but that's another story.
>>
>>26936470
Why were you opposed to them?
>>
>>26936470
What did you self medicate with? Were they open to TCA's?
>>
Yes I am on MAOIs, an extremely high dose that can not be lowered. Crying is laughing, laughing is crying. That is all I can say, you will not know the feels.
>>
>>26936547
Is that bad, if you would not mind elaborating?
>>
>>26936547
Essentially I was a bad case, and put on triple the maximum dose, and have been on it too many years that missing a dose gives seizures. As I said, you learn laughing is crying and crying is laughing, it is so fucked up but its been so many years I don't remember the difference.
>>
>>26936636
Would you recommend them for someone for which all else has failed?
>>
>>26936600
I am on triple the maximum dose and taking it away causes seizures and the heart stops beating. Crying and laughing feel the same, it's very strange. I don't know real happiness, I just know when the chemical is in my blood and when it's not.
>>
>>26936670
Did you try ECT before going on MAOI's?
>>
>>26936663
I would say that missing a dose is the leading cause of suicide in current society. It is something that needs years to work, but if you were already suicidal and do not miss a dose, and keep it at below the max, I don't see it as an issue. Some people are disturbed by the fact the outside world has no influence.
>>
>>26936690
No, I did ECT after my first regimen. I was put on another regimen after.
>>
>>26936502
>Why were you opposed to them?
SSRIs and SNRIs? I wasn't, I tried a whole pile of them for varying lengths of time. Some of them for months, some for years. Didn't do a whole lot for me which is not surprising, the clinical efficacy of the entire class is rather low. The only real reason they are considered first line is their safety in massive overdose situations.

>>26936538
>What did you self medicate with?
Very low-dose methoxetamine, chosen based on the anti-depressant research conducted on the structurally-similar ketamine.

>>26936538
>Were they open to TCA's?
They were not, although we ended up trying mirtazepine, which has some structural similarities to TCAs. I actually found that somewhat helpful, although its appetite-stimulant side-effect caused some weight-gain problems.
>>
>>26936690
Generally they would try MAOIs before ECT.
>>
>>26936727
No, I meant the MAOIs. Why were you opposed to them?
>>
>>26936734
Yeah, I thought they only went to it after pretty much all meds had failed, though from how this guy has described MAOI's I think I would rather do ECT.
>>
>>26936734
which is what I said. ECT did nothing by the way. It was a bit of a let down. I know somebody who did ECT and it helped a lot but they lost all memories of things like sexual abuse from the family, and forgot the family completley it is strange. My issue was not keeping the bad from the good, it was just all bad. Like no human relationships.
>>
>>26936727
Do you still take the MXE? I know it's gotten quite a lot rarer and more expensive than it was when it first hit the scene.
>>
>>26936751
>No, I meant the MAOIs. Why were you opposed to them?

I think you mis-read my post, I attempted to persuade them to prescribe MAOIs as I thought they might benefit me. They refused.

>>26936778
>Do you still take the MXE?
Not in some time, I only plan to restart if the depression returns, and this has probably been my longest remission from depression in many years.
>>
>>26936897
What dose were you taking? Did you get any real disassociation with the amount you were taking, or was it unnoticeable?
>>
>>26936897
Oh, sorry about that.

I'm a bit nervous become I'm starting a MAOI tomorrow.
>>
>>26936945
>What dose were you taking? Did you get any real disassociation with the amount you were taking, or was it unnoticeable?

About 10mcg, and I usually took it just before bedtime so I'd be asleep by the time the effects started.

I have little interest in hedonistic pleasures or psychonaut adventures. For me, it is just another medication.
>>
>>26937060
Micrograms? Not milligrams? I had no idea it was active in such minuscule quantities.
>>
>>26937104

Sorry, you are correct. Milligrams.
>>
>>26937150
That makes a bit more sense. Well, too bad you had to wade through SSRI's, MAOI's, and other meds to get there.
>>
>>26937008
>I'm a bit nervous become I'm starting a MAOI tomorrow.

Good luck anon, hopefully they will do you some good. And remember that the Final Boss is your own self. Antidepressants just buy you some time and breathing room, so you can fix the things by the sweat of your own hard effort.
>>
>>26936726
>No, I did ECT after my first regimen.

How was the ECT? Any benefit?
>>
I take 90 mg/day Nardil. Saved my fucking life.
>>
The problem is, MAOIs have an exaggerated reputation for being dangerous in overdoses and in drug interactions. Generally, a psychiatrist will only prescribe them if they think you have the odd combination of being severely depressed, yet not suicidal. Oh, and at the same time being sufficiently alert and organized to avoid accidental interactions. \
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.