[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did gamergate do wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: 1453849858289.jpg (295 KB, 1500x800) Image search: [Google]
1453849858289.jpg
295 KB, 1500x800
What did gamergate do wrong?
>>
>>26930059
literally everything, especially pretending to be about ethics in gaming journalism, or ethics in anything at all. it was just WOMEN GET OUT REEE! Game journalism was a big ol toilet for years and decades now, gamergate never gave a shit back then. They just got mad at the girl with blue hair who made a game and the girl who makes youtube videos.

Also your pic is retarded, it's fucking Nintendo for Christ's sake. They make games for babies and soccer moms, of course they're going to take titties out of games.
>>
>>26930059
>>26930173

I watched the drama from the sidelines and occasionally provoked people, to my amusement.

I still don't really get what the whole thing was about, but I was surprised when /pol/ and /r9k/ went against /v/. I mean, come on, we all don't like putting women on a pedestal, and sometimes we enjoy insulting women on the Internet. That is who we are.
>>
>>26930059
It mutated.
GamerGate was originally a pushback against social justice faggots trying to push their ideology where it wasn't wanted, trying to demonise men etc. Some people were overly aggressive, because it's the internet. It is worth noting that no reports of harassment by the "targets" of GamerGate, as far as I know, actually were proven to be part of GamerGate. Lots of egg accounts.

Over the past year or so, Sargon of Akkad tried to turn it into ethics in game journalism. It turned into eceleb hero worship, and there was a divide over the purpose of GamerGate. Lots of infighting. And they paraded the #Notyourshield gang, ironically using them as shields even though one of the big ones, Alison Prime, was a dude.

Basically GamerGate has been in its death throes for a long while. The harassment patrol died out when Twitter stopped responding to reporting abusive tweets, too much infighting, eceleb bs and people looking to further their own goals (Milo Y looking for right wing fanboys and influence, far too many charity drives that became "donate to muh patreon" etc.)

What GamerGate did wrong is existing too long.
Its members now are not the ones who formed it.
>>
They tried to go against Zionist Occupied Media.
>>
Care about videogames.
>>
It was hilarious watching /v/ and /pol/ kiddies get butthurt.
>>
>>26930220
We hate women, retard

It was because they tried to be anti-sexist. The whole thing was full with redditors anyways
>>
>>26930223
>It is worth noting that no reports of harassment by the "targets" of GamerGate, as far as I know, actually were proven to be part of GamerGate.

That's only because 2xchan warned people to not harass Anita Sarkeesian and Zoey Quinn or dox people with their main accounts or any account that mentioned gamer gate.

Also you have your history on backwards. The supposed ethics in game journalism came first with Depression Quest, then it devolved into general women-hating
>>
>>26930446
The ethics was part of it, but it was never "the" thing until 2015.
>>
>>26930059
Gamergate was retarded on both sides

Fems want control of stupid shit
Manchildren upset a WOMAN paid for HER shit to be shilled with sex instead of currency ( apparently they all READ game reviews not wait for some guy on YouTube )

What an atrocity..
>>
>>26930571
Why DO you CAPITALIZE random WORDS in YOUR reply?
>>
File: 1454738732019.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
1454738732019.gif
2 MB, 316x213
>>26930059
>Nobody knows about Anita before Gamergate
>After gamergate Anita turns into one of the most well known figures in videogame history
There is no such thing as bad attention
>>
>>26930665
Because they're taboo.
>>
>>26930712
I think /v/ losing their shit over Anita predates gamergate
>>
>>26930429

I hate women too. But it seems like stormfags and robots rejected gamergate because of "muh misogyny". Are you really trying to tell me that what I saw was Ledditors in disguise?
>>
File: b89.png (100 KB, 680x425) Image search: [Google]
b89.png
100 KB, 680x425
GO HOME GAMER GIRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EogjXitgw0

http://putlocker.is/watch-law-and-order-special-victims-unit-tvshow-season-16-episode-14-online-free-putlocker.html
>>
nothing, unless you think that the right idea would be to stand back and let all tits and asses get censored just because ugly feminists get jealous
>>
File: 1456952859190.gif (2 MB, 265x257) Image search: [Google]
1456952859190.gif
2 MB, 265x257
>>26930446
It was never about women hating, this is speaking from a fag who dropped out of it a year or two in. GG supporters will say it's about ethics, but it was mostly just about screencapping tweets the big 3 made (Zoe, Anita, and Brianna Wu) and making fun of them. That's not misogyny, that's not women hating, that's making fun of them for being shitty, stupid human beings and attention seekers. They've made thousands of dollars on Patreon so why WOULDN'T they want more attention? I wouldn't be surprised if they faked more than a few of their supposed death threats.

They continue to whine about GG so the money doesn't stop, it's that simple. Do you know what popular Youtubers do when they get death threats? They ignore them and move on, report them to the police if they're credible. All Zoe, Anita, and Wu did was post the threats on their twitter so their horde of white knights would give them sympathy and money.
>>
>>26930855
>implying that muppets like TheAmazingAtheist and GarkonofWhateverhisnameis didn't milk GamerGate for Patreon money as well, but it's okay for them to do it because they're anti-SJW and I agree with them.

and yes they did report threats to the police,
>>
>>26931194
I was refuting his point only, I don't disagree with you. That was actually one of the many reasons why I left.
>>
>>26930059
it did its job which was to convert a number of New Left faggots to more fashy/libertarian viewpoints
GGtarians isn't really a new thing it just has a new memey label
glad breitbart was able to cash in on the opportunity
>>
It never should have been coordinated on 4chan. There were too many legit sexist nazi types that the feminists could point their fingers at and say "see? they're all like this!". And then it only got worse with the vivian james cringefest over on /v/. The SJWs just had superior PR and we were making it very easy for them to smear us. They've managed to convince everyone that they're the good guys and that they're the voice of reason. Look at the gamergate wikipedia page. This is supposed to be a neurtral website, but it's clearly biased in favour of the SJWs. The article makes a big deal about all of the harassment and threats coming from the gamergate side, but fails to mention that the SJWs were doing the exact same thing.

It failed.
>>
>>26931326
that's funny, all it did was make feminists even more feminists and MRA even more MRA.

Not like some vaguely leftist college kid read some tweets and was like "huh... Why didn't I ever think of that? Anita Sarkeesian DOES deserve black cock!" and became an Objectivist.
>>
>>26931339
>ll of the harassment and threats coming from the gamergate side, but fails to mention that the SJWs were doing the exact same thing

Except that they didn't. No one ever made bomb threats if TheAmazingAtheist put out more videos.
>>
>>26931411

Ha! The threats were never legitmate. Come the fuck on.
>>
>>26931445
>come on bro

Excellent argument, nothing less to be expected from a gobbleygoober.
>>
>>26930059
Fail to realize their case shouldn't have been 'Ethics in gaming journalism' but 'Professional gaming journalism is redundant in the internet age'

Want opinion? /v/, blogs, Reddit et al.
Want reviews? /v/, Reddit, Steam reviews, etc.
Want official game press release material? Company Twitter account, Company website.
Want news about practices in the industry? blogs, 'Proper' news sites (in this case regrettably even including something like Buzzfeed.)

There's no need to have say, Kotaku when everything it provides is available elsewhere (and in 3/4 of those cases, ad-free and done by volunteers with far less risk of corruption.)

Which is if you assume 'ethics in journalism' was always the aim, from my experience it was just an attempt to whip up a shitstorm in the beginning. Honestly I don't care at this point, though. It's sort of faded into the background noise, occasionally resurfacing with a 'oh hey, is that still a thing?'

It did do ONE good thing though: Lawl and Order, special snowflake unit.
>>
>>26930777
Checked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Man1oy4Xh_0
fucking kek
>>
File: anita popcorn.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
anita popcorn.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>>26931649
>he thinks it was about gaming journalism at all
>>
>>26930313
This.

They tried to make a 'serious' anti-feminist social movement thing out of video games. Not just video games, but fucking video game journalism. And they called it 'Gamergate'. What the hell were they thinking? It's like trying to start a communist revolution base around manga-drawing tutorials and calling it the Kawaii Civil War.

The whole thing was like a bad joke. Just imagine trying to describe the movement to someone in 2012, imagine how fucking autistic it would sound.

It was a fucking stupid shitty meme.
>>
I love how so much of Gamer Gate was mad that Anita Sarkeesian was saying that there should be more and better representation of women in video games, saying shit like WHY DOESN'T SHE CARE ABOUT THE FEMINISTS IN MUSLIM COUNTRIES? and then they turn around and cry that Nintendo making kid-friendly games is "censorship". Not giving a shit about North Korea's state media.
>>
Gamergate is good.

Women should legitimately not be allowed to play video games, it's a mens only hobby.

Women should stick to throwing up on chads couch and getting fucked by Tyrone.

Video games are our escape from normies
>>
>>26932786
>play Grand Theft Auto Online and Call of Duty and DOTA and Nintendo games

BOY AM I GLAD THERE AREN'T ANY NORMIES ON HERE
>>
>>26932179
anita is quite hot
>>
>>26930059
Not much, it just went on for too long and lost its clarity over time. In the beginning, there were email campaigns to gaming journalist website sponsers, and those were effective to an extent. Apparently Gawker lost up to seven figures of ad revenue, and OP baby seal played some part in that happening.

I'd say it accomplished some good things. It clearly sent a message to journos, but it lost its focus with that whole harassment patrol thing which was stupid, and trying to disprove claims made by SJWs that GG is about harassing women instead of just completely ignoring them and instead, taking a good deal of energy and effort in explaining themselves even though they didn't have to answer to a pack of angry professional victims that didn't add anything of relevance to the discussion and instead pushed their bs false narrative of GG being a group of misogynists hellbent on destroying those pesky females in the gaming industry because reasons.

Basically gamergate didn't retain its focus and tried to do too many things at once for a "movement" its size, getting derailed and turning into an absolute shitshow.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.