[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here wants to live in seclusion from society in general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
Who here wants to live in seclusion from society in general?
I do.
>Get CDL and get job as interstate truck driver, live in small flat and save up
>Save up more
>Get a small house in the mountains
>Grow my own weed up there
>Only have to drive to work once or twice a week since i work for a a week or two at a time, so i can afford to drive a couple hours
>Take up hobbies and activities, i.e.; playing music, blacksmithing, leatherworking, fishing and hunting
>Don't have to deal with society's trivial bullshit
>Can still get internet so i can play vidya when im bored enough
What do you think, robots? Is that a sound enough plan?
>>
>>26831376

Working as a truck driver is hardly qualifies as "seclusion from society"
>>
>>26831411
No, but i dont think i could live completely off the land. Plus, if you're simply driving all day, there's not much interaction among people.
>>
>>26831376
Sounds fine. Living frugally like that costs very little. Women, children and large house mortgages are the things that eat your cash.

Also if you have any way to make money online, try and hash it out. (website for a niche interest/market, selling a product, selling an e-book if you have any particularly useful/interesting knowledge)
>>
>>26831376

This is my goal aswell. Im advancing my plans and i will start looking for land in a couple of months when the winter is over. Plans are to move in summer 17'.

Money will come from investments and renting out cabins in the summer. Might do some cano or hiking items rent out etc.
>>
I'm aboriginal Canadian and I built a cabin down the river from my reserve a bit.

It's nice, though bragging about it seems silly.
>>
>>26831376
I'm also thinking if i learned glass blowing or something I could just sell home made bongs and if i get good enough at blacksmithing I could sell home made items for extra cash.
And i did a good bit of reading and there's plenty of utility and internet providers that can cater to you if you live up in the mountains, but i'd probably would go with solar panels instead.
>>
>>26831376
Sounds good.
I just hate driving and would be wary of leaving my home alone for periods of time.

And you want a woman or kids it's a terrible idea. It's doable otherwise.
>>
>>26831376
I'd love to live in seclusion from society, I just want to find a woman who feels the same way but is absolutely crazy about me. Someone who would love me so much that she would be happy to abandon the world just to spend more time with me.

yeah I know it's impossible, but that's the dream.
>>
>>26831376
Sounds beautiful.That's honestly pretty inspiring.

>>26831411
>Working as a truck driver is hardly qualifies as "seclusion from society"
It's up there with "sole-staffmember-on-site overnight security guard at a warehouse where stuff that nobody cares about is stored" as far as jobs where you don't talk to people ever. So sure, he's still financially dependent on industrialized society, but as far as social exclusion it's hard to get any further-removed than that.
>>
>>26831666
It's not bad to dream, just as long as you dont become obessed with it.
>>26831582
Have any pictures?
>>26831637
I've given up on the idea of a relationship, and the thing is it wouldn't be anywhere near impossible to find someone even in my current state, but i have no desire for relationships. I have nothing against the people that want them, but to me they're useless.
>>26831729
Inspiring how?
>>
>>26831990
honestly, pretty obsessed with it. the kind of "my life will never be truly happy without it" obsessed.
>>
which is better for woods living, wisconsin or michigan?
>>
>>26831990
>Inspiring how?
Because I fantasize about going full hermit like that. I'd love to build my own house, too, which is honestly what I'll probably end up doing because it'll be so much cheaper.
>>
>>26832026
I would say Wisconsin. Climate and landscape they're pretty identical considering they're only separated by one of the great lakes, but with all the failing cities in Michigan it probably has a large effect on the state's economy as a whole
>>
>>26831376

You should read up on Earthships. It's a pretty hippie-type thing, but they're basically houses that are highly self-sustaining and would thus allow you to more easily live off the grid. It also includes electricity; not sure how comfortably it supports excessive vidya or whatever you want. Worth some research though.
>>
>>26832026
They both get cold as fuck, they both seem pretty bad because it really is difficult and/or expensive to keep a house warm up there. Even if you've got an electric setup and generator/panels/whatever, it's both relatively expensive and if it fails you're pretty much boned unless you've also got a wood-burning stove to keep you from freezing before it's fixed.

I don't know, though. I guess people did it back in The Day. I always thought somewhere further south with more moderate winters would be better for innawoods. SoCal of course is right out for taco-related reasons, but NorCal and southern Oregon have some really promising mountains. Don't know much about Midwest or the East Coast.

Source: Have worked outside until after sundown when the *high* was about 10 degrees (F) in several feet of snow. People who lived up there before reliable electric/gas heating were absolute madmen.
>>
>>26832038
What's stopping you from doing it, or at least working at it to do it?
If you already know how to build it, maybe take a loan and get the materials to build it? And you can do what >>26831502 mentioned. Just have a small online market to pay off your loan and buy anything you cant produce yourself.
>>
>>26832090
what about property taxes, permit/zoning laws, and hunting?

those seem to be the big issues for innawoods cabin living
>>
>>26832118
I've read up on them before. Not sure if i would be able to manage that because i'd want a garage for my hobbies.
>>
>>26832129
Moving to the pacific northwest would be my dream scenario but right now the Great Lakes region is more realizable so I'm fantasizing about that.
>>
What are some other jobs?
>>
>>26832147
Even if i cant build my own house, there is a market out there for them. Albeit small, there is a market out there for secluded homes, and i dont see property taxes varying too much from places in less secluded areas.
And as for hunting it depends on how much land i own, if i dont have any, ill just hunt what's in season, but if i have enough i can hunt anything on my land as long as it isnt endangered.
>>
>>26832227
merchant marine
>>
>>26832137
>What's stopping you from doing it, or at least working at it to do it?
Money, and the fact that I'm not sure exactly where I want it yet. I want West Coast, but I also want warm temperatures, and the further south you go the more normie-infested Cali becomes. Plus, the closer you get to the coast, the more expensive land gets. Out in Nevada you can get ten acres for five or six thousand, by the time you're on the Cali side of the Sierra Nevadas it's close to a hundred times that even for real ugly-land, middle-of-nowhere stuff.
>>
>>26832227
Im guessing you're asking about any job that would allow you to live a life like this, aside from living off the land?
I would say anything that you can do online if you have the internet. You could open up a small online store or work online for a site or a company.
I also suppose if you had an off shore job you could do that, like if you worked on a boat or an oil rig. Pretty much anything that requires you to work several days or a week plus at a time, because otherwise it would be a hassle to drive several hours to and from work depending on how far you lived.
>>
>>26832245
Try the east coast or maybe the landlocked mountain states?
North and South Carolina as well as Virginia have very manageable climates. Tennessee is also pretty good, just gotta deal with the hicks, which would be no problem for me considering that I already live in Alabama.
Most states would work, just depends on what climates you want.
>>
File: 1446750231870.png (881 KB, 933x916) Image search: [Google]
1446750231870.png
881 KB, 933x916
>You will never be a billionaire with a big ass house filled up with maids on a big ass plot of land filled up with pot belly pigs, doggos, horses, flower and vegetable gardens and fruit trees
>>
>>26832198

I don't think that'd be hard to add on since it doesn't need to be heated or anything, you basically just add a shed and maybe an automated garage door to everything else.

Plus, they're supposed to be good at natural insulation.
>>
>>26832129
I grew up in a house which only had one radiator which we rarely used. We used three wood stoves to heat up our large house and it isn't uncommon for the temperature to drop to -20 degrees Celsius during winter here. You only have to spend some time during summer preparing a wood supply and then go out to get firewood once or twice a week. We didn't pay a dime for heating in twenty years.
>>
>>26832307
>Try the east coast or maybe the landlocked mountain states?
Nah, I'm already here and I've lived in a landlocked state before. Never again. And I have a thing for coastline.
Also, I think high altitude bugs me more than most people. I don't feel sick or anything, but when I go down a few thousand feet I suddenly realize "holy shit, I feel so much better than I did a few hours ago." Something something altitude density chemtrails Illuminati etc.

>most states would work
Sadly, for my overly specific demands, anything outside northern Cali and southern Oregon would really be a pain. I'd only consider Texas because I have a ton of family out there, but the Texas coast is so drab and boring that I'd have to get a smoking hot job out there to make it worth it to me.
>>
>>26832369
>three wood stoves
Even running my single (fairly new) woodstove gets old some days. Granted, I use pine because that's what's on my property so it burns a lot faster, but three stoves is crazy.
And there's nothing like the depression of stepping out of the shower and realizing there are no more logs on the rack by the front door when it's raining/snowing outside.
>>
>>26832589
My dad handled the stove in the kitchen and his room while I handled the one in my room. You just put five minutes each morning getting it started followed by checking on it a couple of times until it gets warm and cozy. I don't know, maybe the fact that I grew up with it makes it easier for me.
>>
>>26832641
I grew up with it too. Like I said, if you're burning hardwood, that probably makes it a lot easier. Seasoned pine can burn from a log down to coals in less than an hour sometimes.
Not difficult to keep up, just needs constant attention especially if it's cold outside (lots of large, old windows in my house.)
>>
File: 1440946178997.png (27 KB, 473x252) Image search: [Google]
1440946178997.png
27 KB, 473x252
>>26832834
You have to admit it gets pretty cozy hearing the wood crackle while a blizzard rages outside though.
>>
>>26832980
It's a nice feel.
>>
>>26832980
what's your picture from?? pls respond
>>
>>26834018
Gunsmith Cats
>>
>>26834210
thank you so much dude. i've seen that picture posted all over the place and you're the first person to ever tell me what it's from. i hope you have a really good day.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.