[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm bored and procrastinating. Ask a senior year math major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 1456614964241.png (2 MB, 694x927) Image search: [Google]
1456614964241.png
2 MB, 694x927
I'm bored and procrastinating. Ask a senior year math major anything. Picture unrelated.
>>
>>26827722
I want a pizza and coke now.

Why are you a math major anon?
>>
>>26828020
I used to be in business but I felt a career in finance would be unfulfilling. The material was also not challenging. I switched to math because I like solving problems and doing mathematics. I also like teaching.
>>
>>26827722
>graduated with math summa last year
>still no job

what do you plan on doing after school?
>>
>>26828035
Thats kind of funny. I use to be a business major too until it hit me that I don't need a degree in business to do business and that the curriculum was a joke of just stretched information that could otherwise be learned in under a year. Heres to filling out data graphs and reading statistics as 1/3rd of the final exam in second year, right?

Does this mean you're aiming to be a math teacher?
>>
>>26827722
Oh shit nigga you fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>26828113
Graduate school. I've got summer research in 3/4 years. I'm writing a bachelor thesis. I'd say I'm pretty okay at math. Not great, but okay. Definitely going for a Master's Degree.

>>26828189
No, I'm aiming to be a professor. Doing research and teaching at a university. I'd take an industry job if it paid a lot, though.
Yeah, a lot of curricula are a joke at school. Business is especially bad.
What do you do now? What courses have you taken?

>>26828377
What meme would that be?
>>
>>26828475
I heard it takes 10 years to be a professor. Is that true?

After realizing all that, I got a certificate in web design. Then went onto to make a living through e-books, personal websites with adsense, indie games on steam, and now I'm looking into and learning about stocking and investments. So I guess became entrepreneur in the end.

Its amazing how much more you earn today through e-marketing.

If by courses taken you mean for business, then:
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Business 101
- Business Theory
- Accounting
- Business Law (elective)
- Intermediate Algebra
- Statistics
>>
>>26828774
That's not always true. If by become a professor you mean get a teaching job, then mostly but not always: you need 4 year of undergrad, and then 4-5 years of graduate school. Then you become a post doc and already teaching is part of your duties. But there are cases of really smart people like Saul Kripke becoming professors, or teaching classes, before getting their undergrad done... and then not even bothering to go on to do postgrad work.

That's quite admirable. I should learn that stuff to make money while in college. Where'd you get your certificate from? Did you learn all the stuff you used on your own or through your certificate?
>>
>>26828910
I had meant regarding college/university professor. For what its worth, I hope you wind up like Saul Kirpke. Have you applied for any
internships and the like? That might help your employ-ability quicker as a Professor.

I got my certificate from a community college. The criteria was about 30 credits mainly riddled with electives for about 6/10 of the courses.

I learned everything on my own, savor the web-design which just taught basic html and css which came to help a lot. Turns out you can learn it even easier by yourself too, so I wish I'd of done that instead of paying a few thousand to. If you're going to web design that then I recommend using notepad++ as your software choice in design since it has exports for css, htm, html, php, javascript, and various others. You can also customize it and it helps structure things a bit better for you.

Html is a just a bunch of <tag>'s</tag's>, css can be organized just as easily too. To integrate adsense, all you need to do is really copy and paste the code they provide you depending on which adsense service you go to.
>>
>>26827722
Is your major really that broad? Where do you study?
>>
>>26829237
Unfortunately, I'm probably as far from Saul Kripke intellectually as a gopher is from me. :)
But I know it'll happen. I'm in the top 3 in my year and have a pretty easy time with school. It's just a matter of time and effort for me at this point. Just going to start my Master next year and then do my PHD.

To be honest, I know some coding - I'm exposed to a lot of it because of my degree. But even before, as early as high school, I loved coding. I'm just always pressed for time so its hard to get started learning how to apply the knowledge I have. I'll give it a check sometime though.

How much would you say you make a month on average?
>>
>>26829309
Well, it's an undergraduate degree. There's not much specialization. I go to school in Canada. How much different is it where you are? I can't imagine much.
>>
Threads like these obliterate me.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do with my life.
>>
>>26829373
Here in Australia, I'm doing a bachelor's of Mathematics where i dual major in Applied and Computational mathematics, Statistical science and minor in Discrete mathematics
>>
>>26829422
Nobody knows. You do a lot of things and narrow it down.

>>26829449
Honestly, although your program has a fancier name, there's probably not much difference between the actual content.
When I graduate, I will have a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. I think you'll have the same.
Do you go to UNSW?
>>
>>26829517
You are most likely correct with the actual content in the course.
I go to QUT which has a dedicated Bachelor of Mathematics unlike most universities here.
>>
>>26829316

You can do it anon. Hardwork pays off, even more so if you socialize and make connections with the academic department and staff in your college. Its a gateway to succeed.

If you love coding then you'll probably excel in web-design. I myself suck at coding but still find enjoyment seeing my stuff operate.

For my websites I earn about 2.5K-3.5K.

Games kind've vary. I've earn as little as 2K, and as much as 20k(usually during sales) so I can't give you an average on that.

E-books are about 600-1.2K.

So I'm looking around 7.5K monthly, discluding the steam sale months with an extremely rough estimate.

Last year I made about 140k after taxes.
>>
>>26829316
What area of mathematics do you want to pursue research into?
>>
>>26829576
The degree designation is basically pretty arbitrary. Not many places do a dedicated bachelor of math. University of Waterloo and Carleton University do here. It doesn't really matter, though. It's all about the content.
I was wondering about where you went because Norman Wildberger is a professor at UNSW. If you don't know about him, I implore you to go visit his youtube page and just listen to 10 minutes of him. He's nuts.

>>26829578
Of course. I've got profs in my pocket and research experience. I'm writing a thesis I think I mentioned. The connections are set. It's really only a matter of time. Thanks for the well wishes, though.

You actually make much more than I thought. Can I see some websites you made? What about the games? I find it so hard to believe someone could make so much money so easily.
>>
>>26829610
Applied math. I'm learning as much ODE, PDE, real and complex analysis as I can as well as some fourier analysis and calculus of variations on the side.
>>
>>26829628
I'll link you and provide some screens of the income when I get home, since I can't really do much while I'm out here. Plus anyone could just say names and give links, right?

In the words of my professor, you only make as much as you market. The websites were the hardest to ground, and to get attention I had to branch out and spend money for adspace on websites that I felt related to my own.

The games were easier due to the let's players that want content to play and would happily review your games, the fact steam advertises your game as per agreement, and the fact that everyone plays games.

Game design isn't easy at all, and web-design is time consuming.

In game design you have have to consider engine policy, programming, art, music composition, story direction, level design, writing, and loads of other things. It usually cost you some good money if you don't know anyone and have to pay out to fufill those areas. Its honestly not to be underestimated.
>>
>>26829803
Alright, I'll keep the thread open and wait for some sites.
>>
300k starting any job that you want?
>>
>>26829834
That would be the life!
>>
>>26828035

>not majoring in math and going into finance as a quant at a bulge bracket bank and making mad money

why?
>>
>>26829917
I don't really care that much about money.
I don't live anywhere near NYC and wouldn't really want to live close to there just to work as a quant.
The environment I'd have to work in, the people I'd have to deal with, even the work I'd have to do would be shitty. It's not for me.
>>
I'm a math grad student in Canada. Been studying convex analysis all day.
So OP, why do you want to spend your 30s as an eternal post-doc?
>>
>>26830156
Because I like teaching, I like doing math, and I want to be a professor more than I'd hate being a post-doc. Once the post doc bullshit is over with, when I've reached the end of that stage, the rest of my life I have a cushy job where I get paid lots of cash but don't have to do anything.
>>
>>26829917

>tfw this is exactly what you want to do
>tfw you need a PhD to do it
>>
>>26830203
Have you ever actually tried teaching?
>>
>>26830241
I have tried teaching. I'm a TA and a private tutor. Professors don't even teach - they lecture. That's even BETTER than teaching. That's what I want. Lecture a couple hours a week, collect my 13k a month paycheck, and do nothing but be smart, and be paid to work on math problems I find interesting/study fields of math I want. That is the life.
>>
Why is calculus 2 harder than calculus 3 ? A lot of freak out about it >_>
>>
File: ohno.png (35 KB, 216x109) Image search: [Google]
ohno.png
35 KB, 216x109
>>26829917
>there are people who think life is about getting big numbers for the sake of it
You are a child right? You have to be
>>
>>26827722
Hey. I did well in calculus in college but want to 'really' learn it by going back with a mature perspective. I'm going to be using Kline's calculus text. What's your opinion on this for self teaching?

I only have until August to get through it, I start med school in the fall. So it is likely the last exposure to interesting math I'll have in a long time. Probably trivial compared to what you're used to, but I really felt a spark during those semesters in undergrad.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.