[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>watch Death Note for the first time >suddenly feel inspired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (73 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
73 KB, 480x270
>watch Death Note for the first time
>suddenly feel inspired by the mental chess game between Light and L
>research how to further develop cognitive abilities
>turns out you can't

Who /stupid/ here?
>>
me, but dont worry it could be worse
>>
>>26769186
Not to be edgy, but if you're not the best, you're the worst, just like how anything after 1st place still counts as a loss.
>>
>>26768848
I'm stupid because I couldn't understand who was double-crossing who and who's special plan was actually a cover up for the back up plan near the end

Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt
>>
>>26768848
>turns out you can't
just get fast at mental arithmetic, make a habit of imagining manipulating shapes in 3 dimensions, and start reading books
intelligence correlates highly with quick reflexes, superior processing speed, expansive "inner worlds" and tolerance for ambiguity
if you're not a diagnosed retard you can learn to be smart as fuck
>>
>>26768848
>suddenly feel inspired by the mental chess game between Light and L
yeah, you're stupid
>>
>>26769349
>if you're not a diagnosed retard you can learn to be smart as fuck
Maybe at reading or arithmetic or whatever else you're practicing, but not smart in general. The way L and Light battled wits is something that can't be learned. There is hard evidence to support that.
>>
>>26769349
This. I got into a habit with not using a calculator. Feels like I'm more calculated and better at estimating sizes
>>
>>26769411
because it's fucking scripted and not real. "I knew you were going to think that" usually goes 1 step deep. In death note they predict like 8 fucking moves ahead. Outside of chess, that rarely happens.

Wanna get good at chess? Play a fuck load of chess. I bet you haven't even played 20 games in your life. How many do you think a grandmaster has?

How many waking hours do you think terrence tao has spent on math? Wanna get good at math? Spend that much time. You may not be terry tao's level, but you will have a PhD.
>>
>>26769313
What the fuck are you talking about? There is only one person throughout the whole story who's double-crossing anyone.
>>
planning is pretty easy if you know the person well enough to know what action they will take. death note fascinated me as well, and it goes to show how well L did his job considering Light needed a literal god to fuck his shit up, but convincing a god to sacrifice themselves for a human was pretty smart as well

being able to think on your feet is a much more valuable asset because when a heavily detailed plan fails in the first few steps, the rest of the plan falls apart.

do what that other anon said and practice getting mentally sharp and being able to think quick on your feet
>>
>>26769450
>I bet you haven't even played 20 games in your life.
I've played more than that in the past 2 days, actually. Either way, chess doesn't correlate to real world stuff. It correlates to chess. I wanted to be able to do the whole 8 moves ahead thing, but like you said, it's all scripted and doesn't work in real life.
>>
>>26769221
Drugs help with this reality
>>
>>26769450
actually in chess, most masters only think about 2 moves ahead.
>>
>>26769527
That's just it, though. There is no real way to strengthen quick, elaborate decisions in general.
>>
>>26769579

I don't know much about brain games, but those combined with doing a bunch of math problems certainly can't hurt.
>>
First, understand it's not a chess game in Death Note, it's cat & mouse.
>>
>>26769609
It's funny, because what I was reading earlier said the same thing almost verbatim, followed by "Unfortunately, it won't help you either."
>>
>>26769661

>it won't help you either

Yes, it will. Much more than sitting around watching anime.
>>
>>26769707
Do you have any solid evidence that supports your argument? Here's a video to help explain what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/ADLPNnld_nk
>>
>>26769652
Can you go into further detail about this?
>>
>>26769562
t. Someone who has never played chess in their life
>>
>>26769542
You're 15, aren't you
>>
>>26769852
No. Quit the ad hominem and get to what you're talking about.
>>
>>26769772
One of the key elements of chess is absolute knowledge. Both opponents know as much as there is to know about the game state. There are no random elements, "hidden" pieces or secrets. All information is available for everyone to see.
That obviously doesn't apply to DN. It's full of secrets and hidden information.

Also cat & mice applies better because for one, it's very similar in its "get the other before he gets you" nature to the battle between Kira and L and it also represents the unequal nature of their battle.
Kira has all the information and power and as a result is generally more straight-forward in his killing approach, he's the cat. L is super weak in comparison, but he has a team and a more tactical approach to make up for it. He's the mice.
>>
>>26769752

>does that mean brain training doesn't work?
>not exactly

That video pretty much proves my point
>>
>>26769917
What it's saying is doing those brain games like sudoku or simple arithmetic help you get better at sudoku or simple arithmetic, not general mental cognition.
>>
>>26769951

If you're trusting a random youtube channel telling yourself you're going to be retarded for the rest of your life, I have no choice but to agree, as to keep you down in the world.

One less person I'm in competition with :^)
>>
I found "n-back" training to be useful. I used to be a fucking loser at math (literally failed grade 10 math) because I would always lose track of shit halfway through a problem. Say I wanted to find the first 3 intersects of a trig function. I'd forget how to figure out when sinx = 0 or how to figure out a period or remember what coefficient does a vertical stretch or a horizontal stretch.

Now I've completed calc 3, linear algebra, differential equations, and am considering doing a math undergrad.
>>
>>26769869
>ad hominem
Not even arguing with you pham. Ever heard of Chuunibyou? That's what you're going through. Death Note, much like Code Geass, or any other show, or book, that portrays unrealistically intelligent characters. is just that: unrealistic. Literally nobody can process information the way Light does, and then use it to predict L's next move, it just doesn't happen. Death Note fuels Chuunibyou in teens, as he did to me when I was 15. But I got over it as soon as I realised that it was bullshit, and you should too. Play chess. It doesn't relate at all to real life situations, but it improves your cognitive function. Like doing bicep curls in order to win an arm wrestling match, chess trains your brain so that you can manipulate people, and predict what they're going to do. Never more than 1 or 2 steps ahead though.
>>
>>26770001
But they speak logically. Are there any studies that say otherwise? Trust me, I want to be a genius, but how do I do that? You just can't, because the world is filled with secret variables that we can't get good at.
>>
>>26770062

Well, look up some basic social engineering tactics. Learn to get what you want out of people, it's a much more direct way than trying to become smarter in the way you're speaking of
>>
>>26770056
Explain to me this. What is it irl detectives do? Is it a mental thing, or is it really just "We have guns. We're gonna shoot anyone who gets in our way"? If anything, just to help me understand.
>>
>>26768848
light really should have gotten his worshippers to storm the place and kill everybody in there, or blow it up or something

but nooooo he had to win with his wits and his pride, which was his downfall. he didn't want to just be kira, he wanted to feel superior while doing it
>>
>>26770168
my brother is a detective. Thanks to the digital world, crime pretty much solves itself. Slap a GPS and a microphone on their car, get access to their phone's GPS, wirelessly activate the microphone, or have it record video in the background. Criminals are literally retarded and don't know that cops can do this shit. There's a few "undercover" tactics that have been around for decades. Change your shirt, change your hair, and people will never notice they were just talking to you 5 minutes ago. But honestly being a detective is one of the easiest ways to clear 6 figures and belong to a union.
>>
>>26770218
If he had his fans try to break in, the mission would have been compromised. They would have had to rearrange the meeting, which would put even more suspicion on Light.
>>
>>26770168
They find clues, interrogate people relevant to the crime, gather suspects, find out as much as they can about them and then match their clues to them. It does require deductive reasoning, but nowhere near the level found in Death Note, or any Sherlock novel.
>>
>>26770270
i really do think it could have been resolved if light got some people, maybe even just 10 to storm the place and kill everybody who wasn't him, and then he could write those 10 peoples names down and he would have won. but he had to get super complicated

why not just tell mikami to tear a page off and put it in his pocket so he could bring it to the warehouse and write the names down on THAT? you know?
>>
>>26770168
As >>26770264 touched upon, most, and I mean the vast majority, criminals aren't Kira masterminds; they're simple people who can be easily tracked and convicted. And of course, technology makes it piss easy
>>
>>26770274
But how does one get better at deductive reasoning? Is it possible? Is it just studying a buttload of philosophy? That's what I really liked about L. He didn't need to figure out the future as much because due to his deductions, he knew what was going on in the present.
>>
File: Light_Yagami-Kira.jpg (28 KB, 530x375) Image search: [Google]
Light_Yagami-Kira.jpg
28 KB, 530x375
>>26768848
Light is an idiot.
His ego was too big.
Why not just kill people here and there?
Seriously why not just go to like watch dog and write everyones name down and kill them all at once? Or anything? It seems dumb to "test out" the thing. The whole show is pretty fucking stupid. Light is hot though.
>tfw want to dress like Misa
>>
>>26770327
What if the FBI came across Kira, though? How does one become Kira? Inb4 find a shinigami.
>>
just a reminder that Death note was actually pretty good up until L dies
>>
>>26770311
>why not just tell mikami to tear a page off and put it in his pocket so he could bring it to the warehouse and write the names down on THAT?
Either way, the pages he had were fake. He would have no way of knowing that his notebook had been tampered with.
>>
>>26770397
It was good up until Misa and Light gave up their notebooks. Then it became, "I knew that five years from now, you'd adopt a cat and go around your neighborhood when it went missing. That's when I'd be waiting to steal your files."
>>
>>26770427

Yeah, I meant like keep a page on him at all times, like light does.

Fucking mikami going against lights word and going into his bank box twice in one day. yes im mad.
>>
>>26768848
I dislike "battle of wits" in anime because the Japanese have no idea how it works. Animes like Kaiji and Death Note are entertaining as fuck, but the battle of wits part of them is highly contrived. Their decisionmaking is nonsensical and relies on some magical mindreading that simply doesn't work in reallife.

Honestly the fact that you were awed by Death Note goes a long way in telling how mediocre you are. If you weren't born smart and it wasn't immediately obvious to you nor to anynoe else, then you're very likely not in the range of developing your cognitive abilities to the levels you'd like.

However I'll say this; if you're really motivated start reading about geopolitics and game theory. Witness and understand the biggest game of chess with the most participants and sides the world has ever seen, and understand it. Very few do.
>>
>>26770613
Said 'understand it' twice absolutely intentionally.
>>
>>26770334
You should stop trying to compare yourself to fictional characters. I did philosophy at A-Level, and rationality came naturally to some, while others just couldn't grasp it. They didn't know how to think logically. I'm not sure whether it can be learned or not, to be honest with you. What I did was play mind games with people all throughout my A-levels. I wasn't really friends with anyone, so I would just lie to people, and try to keep the lie up, and then change some of the information and convince them that they were wrong all this time. You have to learn to be an observer, and get a firm grasp on how certain people act before you can use your deductive reasoning to predict their actions. I'm being really vague because this isn't something concrete, you know, there are so many variables.
>>
>>26770613
To be fair, I was referring specifically to the deductions they used to find out more about each other, like how L deduced that Kira lived in Japan. I'll definitely be sure to look into geopolitics and game theory as well as social engineering, though. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>26770664
So you're saying hour philosophy classes helped you in social engineering?
>>
>>26770675
Yes that was one of the best parts in the entire anime.

What's your understanding of strategy?
>>
>>26769349
You're only getting marginally better at specific tasks here. It's called practice but you can't practice simultaneously at everything in life.

Related to the topic, there are 2 kinds of intelligence, fluid and crystalized. Fluid basically is your ability to learn, understand, and reason with no previous knowledge if the subject, call it pure wit if you wish. Crystalized is your knowledge, experience and ability to relate things in your hear with goals in mind.

You cant improve your fluid intelligence with anything other than specific drugs like nootropics and even then the gains are minimal. As someone who couldnt get past Calculus and somehow passed Trigonometry in middle school without learning shit this depresses me to no end.

Forget your typical /r9k/ whining reasons, im literally dumb, stupid and slow. No wonder everyone in life overtook me without me noticing until they were 100 miles ahead. We're doomed.
>>
>>26770675

to be fair, he didn't know kira was living in japan, if kira didn't kill the person on the television L would have been clueless to his location since L was broadcasting it in one country at a time
>>
>>26770728
I've never actually studied strategy itself. Anything cool you can teach me?
>>
>>26770803
But he used the information he had to work with. We can rearrange what happens, but that doesn't necessarily lead to a different result.
>>
>>26770708
My social engineering "skills" came from the fact that I was a loner, and would spend the majority of my time observing people in the library, or in the study room, or wherever I went. I would spend my time just watching people, seeing how they act, because it intrigued me more than anything. After 2 years of doing that I became pretty good at reading people, and manipulation became so easy. I never harmed anyone though, I just did it to feed my ego. It made me feel great, knowing that I had control over others.
>>
>>26770813
Not really since it came naturally and intuitively for me since I can remember.

Tough shit lel.

I'm just masturbating at this point. I'll stop now.
>>
>>26770869
So basically practice lying to people and see how they respond? So simple, but it sounds effective.
>>
File: katana.jpg (128 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
katana.jpg
128 KB, 900x675
>>26770869

>im playing chess while everybody else is playing checkers. humans are just a game to me.
>>
>>26770040
Hope youre still here. Got any more tips or info to share? I know about this and tried it for like 5 times and honestly my brain hurts after that, best I can get is 3n-back and that is really pushing myself to the absolute limit. And I have no idea how I do it, my brain is on auto pilot mode when I do. Really I cant consciously recall any of the previous images. Also what software are you using? I use dual n back by tyrske for android, but I'd like something using other than audio for one of the series since im not a native english speaker. Color+position would work for me.
>>
>>26770922
Start small though, you don't want to get caught straight away. Gain their trust, and be sure to take note of their personality, their tendencies etc. Don't get attached, that'll fuck everything up

>>26770972
You dare reply to my comment, scum?
>>
>>26771040
I was thinking about trying it out on strangers and seeing if I could find some way to influence them. For instance, "You're Republican? I'm Republican too! I was on my way to vote for Trump, but then I found out that he wants to keep abortion legal to prevent corporate tax cuts. I'm thinking of voting for Sanders now, but I dunno..."
>>
>>26771040
You sound like a fag living out his fantasies.
>>
>>26771040
Get a load of this guy. Great posting m8
>>
>>26771555
>>26771700
Woah, nice numbers there!
>>
>>26771744
Not doing so bad yourself.

But you've still got a long way to go. Check these.
>>
File: 1362361958694.jpg (136 KB, 920x791) Image search: [Google]
1362361958694.jpg
136 KB, 920x791
>>26771789
You fucked up, friend.
>>
>>26770343
Are you a woman fampai?
>>
Learning to play an instrument has been proven to boost performances in all other school subjects in children. Children to play instruments typically score higher on IQ tests than children who don't play instruments. The part of the brain that correlates with musical intelligence, partially overlaps with the part of brain that correlates with mathematical intelligence. Learning to play an instrument combines delicate coordination, discipline and immersion, engages your senses of touch, sight and hearing, all while making you more attractive to other people.
>>
>>26770664
There is nothing *special* about logic. It is literally the simplest thing you can learn. Retards just can't learn it because they can't learn anything from how the pieces in chess move to multiplying 1 digit numbers without a calculator.

Those kind of people do not belong in a philosophy class, or any post-middle school class for that matter. Actually no one belongs in a philosophy class because philosophy classes suck big black cocks.

>hurr everyone is right :))))
>hurrr subjective opinions ;DDD
>dur I am smarter than all of the philosophers I teach because they all thought that they are right but I know that everything is subjective xD
>>
>>26771821
>scores a flush
>gets told he fucked up
You're not even on my plane of the universe.
>>
One simple way to improve your cognition is try and learn new things. Simple as that. No, don't practice until you're perfect, just learn enough to be decent, then move on to something else. Otherwise you're just forcing it to specialize in a single task because the brain loves efficiency. It's a muscle after all.
>>
>>26769542

>The whole 8 moves ahead thing

This will never happen. Sure, you can make 8 predictions, good predictions, but the chance that ALL of them will be true or take place is lower than 1%. It impossible to correctly predict the next 8 moves of your opponent and be 100% correct.
>>
File: 1446004615571.png (164 KB, 544x323) Image search: [Google]
1446004615571.png
164 KB, 544x323
>>26769221
"Bein' number two is just bein' the first to lose."
- Drake
>>
>>26770334
>But how does one get better at deductive reasoning?
Learn math to understand what deductive reasoning is. If/then statements narrow shit down until you reach your conclusion.

Once you learn that, learn to people watch.
>>
>>26768848
You how I realised I was stupid?Video games.Most games have a ranking sistem, and I failed to reach a high rank in a game and I spent my whole life playing them.
Dota best rank after 7 years of playing- 2600
CS GO-Best rank after a year - LE(before the derank fest)
Hearthstone best rank - 4

I just dont have what it takes to be good at anything.My mental capacity is just inferior.
>>
>Who /mediocre/ here ?
It literally is the worst.
Standards high enough not to be entertained by trivialities and so you can't enjoy your life like every other retarded normie.
Not smart enough to really succeed at anything, in the end you'll live a shitty life while being incapable to enjoy the little things that all the retards do.
Of course, as an autist you won't even get those so you can forget about friends, girlfriends, love, acceptance and all that shit.
>>
>>26772069

Because a video game determines real life skill.
>>
>>26770613
Havent watched DN yet but Kaiji wasn't that far fetched in my opinion. He was losing on everything most of the time anyway and his plans often involved putting himself in insurmountable pain and risk. Maybe the second season could be thought as what you say, but he had good reasoning and his plan was just a hair short of failing. And technically it did because he forgot to take into account the vile people he surrounded himself with.
>>
>>26772097
It does. Life is a competition, so are video games.
If you can be best at games, you can be successful in life.
>>
>>26769542
>It doesn't relate at all to real life situations
>hess doesn't correlate to real world stuff

You're really fuckin stupid if you cannot turn game-related knowledge into fluid intelligence.
>>
>>26769450
I actually played thousands and thousands of chess games, and I'am still shit.My ELO is 1400,not much higher then it was when I started playing chess.
>>
>>26772137

Video games may be able to expand your mental knowledge on the subject, but they can't fully prepare you nor can they physically prepare you.

Let's say you playing a racing simulator for 2 years as training then you're thrown into a Porsche GT3 to participate in a race. The race starts, and you step on the gas (assuming you can get it out if neutral) and next thing you know, you "can't" stop so you end up rear ending the person in front of you because you weren't PHYSICALLY prepared. Looks like your vidya didn't help as much as you thought.
>>
>>26772123
Honestly the cruise ship part was the best.

I really really really hoped the entire anime would be set on that ship, with people moving up and down in levels and shit as a metaphor for society. To see what kind of people would fall below and what kind would rise, and why.

As it was, however, the rock, paper, scissors was the most clean cut part of the anime. The rest became increasingly arbitrary. Like fuck they tried to strategize fucking throwing dice. Also it went over dramatic and started posing nonsensical philosophical drivel.

That aside as I said, it was still entertaining and overall the general message and strategy aspect was okayish.
>>
>>26772069
>>26772097
>>26772137
Videogames are bullshit because they involve technical skill ie mechanics. You won't be able to play SCII well regardless of how good you are at strategies if you lack the technical side of it and are unable to multitask and perform mechanically difficult tasks.

Such things, although trainable, aren't indicative of the mental capacities of the players.

This is why board games will beat videogames on the most part.
>>
>>26772212
You are totally off the point here.
People have certain characteristics and traits, that make them successful. Those are concentration, reflexes, hand-eye coordination, memory etc. If your traits are poor, you are gonna be bad at everything you do.
Hard work is useless without talent, and I learnt it the hard way.
>>
>>26770972
I'm laughing so much at this post lol
>>
>>26772344

My point is, vidya does NOT prepare you for what you want to do. You have to actually do it if you want to get good at it. You might be #1 on the leaderboards on the game, but in real life you'll always last until you get some experience under your belt.
>>
>>26771846
feminine peniss
>>
>>26772490
From my experience, people who are good at games are also pretty successful in life.Just look at twitch steamers, they make a shit ton of money playing games.
I personally being bad at games am also bad at everything else.I'm bad with women, in school, socially etc.
>>
>>26772490
Every single competitive game will teach you things. A game involving swordfighting won't teach you how to use swords however it will teach you about discipline, tilting, predicting your opponent, gaming your opponent and so on.

Similarily a strategy game won't teach you how to deal with unruly generals, how to speak infront of a public, how to instill discipline nor how to organize a chain of command. However it will teach you strategies.

You're just too myopic to see beyond the shallow layer of quasi obviousness.
>>
Just because something is uncomfortable for you doesn't mean you're not made for it. You just haven't gotten used to it. You gotta get through that uncomfortable phase before you can get good. We only change when we are outside of our comfort zone.
>>
>>26772638

Yes. It will teach you mentally but not physically, like I said before. You know with your MIND but not with your BODY.

>>26772625

The somewhat true in my experience too. I went go karting for the first time and I played forza and GT for years (and watched some racing) so I knew a lot more than them. I didn't perform anywhere near the best but I did better than them. Also, It's possible to make money off of being bad at vidya. Just look at titty streamers.
>>
>>26772782
So you've backpedaled yourself into saying gaming won't better your motor memory in doing unrelated things?

Really?

I'd say you're disproven at this point.

You're also doing a mistake in viewing games as separate from the "real world". A sort of false dichotomy of you either "play silly games" or "learn the real stuff".

They both exist in one world. Games are just a learning experience like any other. No experience prepares you for everything.

You're either even more shortsighted than I thought at first or your ego is really not letting you admit you were wrong.
>>
Death note is just inspiring. Watching Light stimulated me to be more narcissistic.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 1076x743) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 1076x743
>>26772300
>reflexes and mechanical skill should not be part of any game
>board games are superior

Vidya is objectively superior. If you don't like the fast fingers and reflexes elements you can have games without turn based games with mechanical skill with hundreds of times better art and animations and much more complex rule sets.
>>
>>26772890

Video games are indeed different from the real world. Despite how Dice portrays Battlefield as "realistic", it actually is not realistic. Video games and real life are 2 different things. You do know that there are people who are god tier at video games but failed at doing it in real life so they continue to do it only in the video games, right? Video games can be and are programmed to behave a certain way. You can't program real life. Video games have limitations, real life does not.
>>
>>26772625
>twitch streamers
>successful
LOL

>playing videogames makes money in a job where you get paid to play videogames
You don't say?
>>
>>26773009
Well firstly I never said mechanics and technical knowledge doesn't have a place in vidya. I merely said it won't contribute to your cognitive capabilities.

>and much more complex rule sets.
And here's another thing - complexity does not add depth. Plus the more complexity is added, the more specific and less fluid the knowledge/experience becomes. Meaning less translatability into other ("real world") applications.

Does chess have a complex ruleset? Shit no. The beauty of it is in the abundance of nearly countless of possible strategies utilizing/focusing on the various resources the game offers.

Technical knowledge has little to do with cognitive abilities.

>>26773070
Okay you really ousted yourself as batshit retarded and missed the point by miles by posting that misguided and borderline irrelevant tangent. There's really no point in replying to you anymore.
>>
>>26772638
Name a single game that teaches about anything in the real world at more than 10% of the speed you would learn it by practicing the thing or watching YouTube videos about the thing or reading books about the thing.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that kids who play games in moderation become smarter because they use their imagination and general problem solving skills, but if you try to use a specific strategy from a videogame irl you will get shitstomped every time.
>>
>>26772890
Literally the whole point of videogames is that they are a simulation of an imaginary world. The whole of videogames is that they are distinct from irl.
>>
>>26773198

I think you either misunderstood what I said, or you're just stuck believing that video games completely correlate to real life.

>>26773215

This might help.
>>
>>26773215
It is not any specific strategy per se. It is the concepts and the ability to juggle them into fitting real world scenarios. Needless to say the latter is dependent on the person and isn't a 'skill' you could really develope or better to any remarkable extent.

Someone with a good understanding of chess and merely basic knowledge of how wars were/are fought will have immensely easier experience at understanding the decisionmaking process behind strategies used.

>>26773252
God fucking damnit did you just remove your trip and kept on shitposting hoping to get more replies?
>>
>>26769221
Following this mindset means that you should give up on anything you can't be the best at because it's literally impossible to be numba wan at everything you do. There is always someone better than you.

People thinking having a mindset like this means having a winner's attitude but it's the exact opposite. You're setting the standards too high and you're going to give up faster because you can't meet your unrealistic expectations.

IMO it is better to stay rational and push your limits and see where you end up. Work up from there and try to overcome your past self every time. In the end you are your greatest enemy.

>cheesy but tru senpai
>>
>>26773294
No you're just shortsighted. Something I pointed out way before. You don't comprehend the abstract as well.
>>
>>26769450
>outside of chess that rarely happens

yo come see me in any fighting game
>>
>>26773198
>complexity does not add depth. Plus the more complexity is added, the more specific and less fluid the knowledge/experience becomes. Meaning less translatability into other ("real world") applications.

I never said that complexity = depth. There is no difference in learning a deep game or a shallow one. Until you hit bottom you are still learning and solving problems and getting better.

>Does chess have a complex ruleset? Shit no. The beauty of it is in the abundance of nearly countless of possible strategies utilizing/focusing on the various resources the game offers

Fun is important to neurotypicals. If you want to play chess, or even better shitty Go, for thousands of hours then have have at it.
>>
>>26773325

You have it backwards. Do you even know how real life works? I'm absolutely certain that being able to do it in a video game won't mean you can do it in real life like you implied here:

>however it will teach you about discipline, tilting, predicting your opponent, gaming your opponent and so on.

I understand that "It's a learning experience", but real life will always better better choice. Video games are just basic learning tools to get you started with the subject.
>>
>>26773298
>Someone with a good understanding of chess and merely basic knowledge of how wars were/are fought will have immensely easier experience at understanding the decisionmaking process behind strategies used.

They have an immensely easier experience than who? A baby? A giraffe? A five year old? A woman? Of course they will.

But a general who has studied actual history and real world strategy will always always ALWAYS BTFO SOMEONE WHO HAS PLAYED STARCRAFT FOR EVEN ONE HUNDRED TIMES AS MUCH AS HE STUDIED THE REAL THING.

>God fucking damnit did you just remove your trip and kept on shitposting hoping to get more replies?

No I'm a different guy, but I actually wrote both posts you are replying to.
>>
>>26773438
>I never said that complexity = depth.
Then why would you mention the option of higher complexity to counter my saying board games > vidya in the context of mental stimulation?

>If you want to play chess, or even better shitty Go, for thousands of hours then have have at it.
Man I did not reach my conclusions without putting thousands of hours into vidya first.

>>26773501
>still going on about the "real life" meme
>you go "virtual" when playing videogames
Let me try this, maybe this way you'll understand:

Game, just as life itself, is problem solving. The more you do, the better you become at it.

You will be thrown all sorts of complex problems, but the more you've solved previously, the more easily you'll be able to split the huge clusterfucks down into smaller, recognizable and previously familiar blocks. This way you can solve yourself all the way from 25 yo khv NEET into the president of the US!

Get it now?
>>
>>26773587
>They have an immensely easier experience than who?
Than someone without chess experience? You realize I put the "good understanding of chess" characterization into there specifically for the exact purpose of letting you know who we're comparing this hypthetical person with.

>But a general who has studied actual history and real world strategy will always always ALWAYS BTFO SOMEONE WHO HAS PLAYED STARCRAFT FOR EVEN ONE HUNDRED TIMES AS MUCH AS HE STUDIED THE REAL THING.

Well firstly I already voiced my opinion on CSII as a heavily technically/mechanically focused game. This is not what you're supposed to be looking for if you're trying to better yourself.

Secondly your example is misguiding. Of course a person who studied the warfare of a specific era and participated in it will beat someone with a good understanding of chess and merely a basic knowledge of warfare.

However is such knowledge and experience the general accumulated available for everyone? Is it for our hypothetical chess player?

Thirdly will that general be able to adapt as well as the chess player into different scenarios? Lets say both the general and the chess player are from the 19th century. What if we put them into a hypothetical battle taking place in the 3rd century BC? Who would win then? Who would have better fluid knowledge? The man who ingrained his mind into this one specific timeframe and the strategies, tactics and methods used then? Or the guy who has more of a generalized knowledge and an overall understanding of strategy?

OR, what if we change the scenario completely; put them both into politics. Who will be able to adapt better? The military "what doesn't obey nor surrender must probably be shot" kinda guy, or the guy with an easily adaptable knowledge base that isn't specified too much for military?

Or if we put them into a corporate world?

You get it.
>>
>>26773726
MORE COMPLEXITY
BETTER GRAPHICS
MORE FUN

say it with me

MORE COMPLEXITY
BETTER GRAPHICS
MORE FUN

Just because you have never experienced fun doesn't mean that neurotypicals don't have it it.
>>
>>26773726
>the more easily you'll be able to split the huge clusterfucks down into smaller, recognizable and previously familiar blocks. This way you can solve yourself all the way from 25 yo khv NEET into the president of the US!

This is a basic understanding and an exaggerated meaning. We are taught these things when we are kids and even our entire lives. If it was that simple, do you think anyone would be on /r9k/? Like I said before, that's just the basics.

>>26773726
>still going on about the "real life" meme
>you go "virtual" when playing videogames

You fucking said vidya determines real life skill, which it does not.
>>
>>26773877
But I asked only about complexity, not graphics.

And what has fun to do with bettering your cognitive abilities?

>>26773906
>This is a basic understanding and an exaggerated meaning. We are taught these things when we are kids and even our entire lives. If it was that simple, do you think anyone would be on /r9k/? Like I said before, that's just the basics.
??

What was the point made in this paragraph?? Did you not understand how I explained being familiar with problems will give you the ability to break down bigger, more complex problems?

>You fucking said vidya determines real life skill, which it does not.
>again the real life meme
Again, firstly I'm not talking about only vidya here. Secondly problem solving is a skill that is relevant everywhere.

Games consist of problem solving. Real life consists of problem solving.

How much more do you want me to dumb it down for you to finally comprehend it?
>>
>>26773847
>Thirdly will that general be able to adapt as well as the chess player into different scenarios? Lets say both the general and the chess player are from the 19th century. What if we put them into a hypothetical battle taking place in the 3rd century BC? Who would win then? Who would have better fluid knowledge? The man who ingrained his mind into this one specific timeframe and the strategies, tactics and methods used then? Or the guy who has more of a generalized knowledge and an overall understanding of strategy?

You think that 18th century warfare is less like 3rd century warfare than moving plastic pieces around on a piece of cardboard. You are DELUSIONAL. Against a real general a chess player's army would be BUTCHERED and the chess player would get STOMPED and PISSED on and the general would use his corpse as an ONAHOLE.
>>
>>26774087
>Games consist of problem solving. Real life consists of problem solving.

Right. We all know this. It's basic. With the way you're putting it, you're saying "this is the basis of my entire argument" and saying that games are more than basic tools to teach you the basics. Games are nothing more than that.
>>
>>26774202
Indeed he'd have an advantage simply because he has the experience in leading. He knows how to control generals, how to make sure his men obey him and so on.

This goes under "technical knowledge" because this isn't really something that can be taught/learned without having experienced it first.

Similarly the general would get his ass handed to him in a match of SCII simply because he doesn't have the technical knowledge nor skill.

An arcitect wouldn't be able to build a house either. His theoretical knowledge wouldn't fair well against the practical experience of construction workers. Would you still say his knowledge is less useful than that of the construction worker?

One is simply more abstract. Similarly while a general may have the practical experience and knowledge of how to lead men and the basic maneuvers, it is the chess player who has an overall better understanding of strategy. Coupled with experience equal to that of the general, he would surely surpass him.
>>
>>26774221
So do you not agree with the notion that games immensely help improve ones problem solving by familiarizing him with scenarios he otherwise wouldn't have encountered if he had to rely only on his "real life" experiences?
>>
>>26774448

I do to a degree. I wouldn't say it "immensely" help but it does help. If I was using your example, video games would not "immensely" help someone on the battlefield more than actually being on the battlefield. Games do not prepare you for everything.
>>
>>26774649
Yeah now take into account that not everyone has access to battlefield experience. Nor would everyone who had it survive the relatively risky affair. Games, however, are available to nearly anyone and nobody risks their life playing a game.

Do you think someone who grew up in an upper middle class family would've learned what hard work means for him if he didn't bust his scrub ass off for months trying to get better at some specific game? Do you think this experience can be disregarded simply because it wasn't experienced in his "real life"?
>>
>>26770397
Yes, but not necessarily because of L's death itself, but because it coincides with the team learning about the death note.
I always thought the best parts was seeing how L and his team work around their very obvious lack of information regarding just how exactly Kira kills. People generally dislike the company arc and I agree that is has some length, but its conclusion is the best part of the series for me because it's just so very entertaining to see L rack his brain around that very lack of information - in real time. Like they have complete surveillance of the guy and don't even realize he just killed at first, they're confused why his sudden urgency turned into calmness and who is talking to when he is talking to Rem. It's great. The tension is awesome.

The whole Near not being as compelling as L is true as well and the fact that things got really contrived once you take the plot to a really global level didn't help though.

>>26770466
I don't think that's something you can bitch about. The assumptions were that the best way for Light to prove his innocence is if he actually turned into an innocent person and that an innocent Light would do anything to stop Kira which leads to him eventually finding the notebook again.

These are not far-fetched assumptions.
>>
File: 480353_1370935889099_500_281.jpg (20 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
480353_1370935889099_500_281.jpg
20 KB, 500x281
>>26768848
>watch big dick porn for the first time
>suddenly feel inspired by the physical chemistry between the performers
>research how to further develop penis size
>turns out you can't

Who /tinydick/ here?
>>
>>26774759

This is where you correlate 2 different things. Life and games. Knowing how to do something (from a game) does not translate into actually knowing how to do it (from the experience) as well as you think.

If I spend 3000 hours on a flight simulator video game, working my ass off to be good at it, then apply for my pilot's license, do you think they'd accept "3000 flight hours on flight simulator video game" as a viable source of experience?
>>
>>26768848
>research how to further develop cognitive abilities
>turns out you can't
but that's completely false.
Unless you're implying you literally cannot learn. Learning is the brain changing itself.
>>
>>26774924
A flight simulator isn't a competitive game.

If you pay attention I said I was talking only of competitive games.

And yet again your shortsightedness shows.

As I said earlier a sword fighting game does not make you a better sword figher. Instead it developes the traits I mentioned.

A game will NEVER teach you technical skills you need in real life. I already said that (sword) games won't develope your (swordfighting) motor skills, you utter fucking imbecile.

A game however will make you understand concepts.

Strategy in itself isn't a technicality. It's a concept. A concept that finds its applicatino both in real world warfare, just as in games with specific rulesets. It is a very fluid concept in that being good at a strategic game will most certainly imply you'd also be good at making strategical decisions in a war, assuming you have the technical knowledge.

Now fuck off. Like I said there was no point in me replying to you. Everything I said so far got either deflected by your thick skull or entered one ear and exited the other. You've been running in circles this whole time.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.