[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone else fucking love learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.jpg (139 KB, 919x464) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
139 KB, 919x464
anyone else fucking love learning
>>
That's one of the reasons why i love the internet. So much informations and stuff to read and learn.
>>
>download gigabytes of info
>don't even look at it
help...
>>
>>26761222
Interesting variety of subjects m8
>programming
>fighting
>gardening
>massage
>sound editing
>some survival handbook

I have a shit attention span though so I never get around to reading whole books.
>>
>>26761222
What do you read it on? I hate reading shit on a computer screen
>>
File: 1456252653196.png (58 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
1456252653196.png
58 KB, 436x425
>hasn't even learned what's wrong with utorrent
>>
>>26761329
uh oh the client elitist has arrived
>>
>>26761348
>uses utorrent unironically
stop triggering me
>>
>>26761364
it makes no difference
>>
>>26761375
>Tixati is objectively better
stop trying to rape me
>>
>>26761348
Normally I would agree but in this case qbitorrent is objectively better than utorrent 2.2.0 or whatever the last useable release was.

You owe it to yourself to not use utorrent.
>>
What's wrong u and bittorrent? It's no longer a bitcoin miner, correct?
>>
>>26761394
alright well i'm just going to use utorrent
>>
>>26761297

i read PDFs on an old HP touchpad from the fire sale. I put android on it.

for ebook formats, I bought a kindle paper white when Amazon has them for $29 a couple years ago
>>
just fucking use qbittorrent you niggers
>>
how to learn? i just forget everything after i read it
>>
> loving learning
seems OP desu
>>
>tfw I don't have the atrium span to read
>tfw on rare occasions when I do manage to read, I can't remember anything

reading long form stuff is pretty much the worst way to learn ever.
>>
>>26761412

is it not? that's why i stopped using it

i switched to frostwire because it makes me feel 2005 chiq
>>
>>26761222
>still has the capacity for love
>>
JUST USE TRANSMISSION-QT
IT JUST WORKS
NO BULLSHIT NO STALLED CRAP LIKE QBITTORRENT
NO ADS LIKE CURRENT UTORRENT NO VULNERABILITIES LIKE 2.2.1

TRANSMISSION-QT
>>
>>26761486
Consistency, application, motivation

Consistently continue learning the skill
Apply the skill practically (i.e. cooking instead of just reading recipes)
Keep motivated, use previous successes and future goals to keep you going.
>>
Yup, got tins of books inside folders inside folders inside folders inside folders on an external hard drive. Probably never gonna be able to read them all.
>>
>>26761222

So you want a manual for every fucking thing you do anon ? Stop this shit and be a man
>>
>>26761635
>stalled
I don't get this meme, never gotten it
>>
>>26761222
What torrent client is that?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (135 KB, 931x465) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
135 KB, 931x465
>>26761635
why are you shilling?
>>
>>26761635
qbit has never stalled for me, I can't imagine what that even looks like or what causes it.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (127 KB, 920x458) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
127 KB, 920x458
>>26761994
it's utorrent
>>
>>26761994
It's the one with ads that cooperates with ISPs to limit your download speed.

aka utorrent
>>
>>26762000
>1,117 Game Boy Color ROMS
My nigga
>>
>>26761506
I think books like these are useful for getting enough basic knowledge to form an interest

If something truly sounds interesting to you you will know it pretty quickly. From there on you kind of need more than just a single book, but a book is by no means a bad starting point.
>>
>>26762000
you're using a shit tier torrent client that is inferior to something that takes 2 seconds to download off sourceforge.

youre like the kid in school trying to show everyone he has a high pain tolerance instead of being a normal person and not hurting yourself
>>
>>26762000
>>26762038

What appeals to you so much about reading all of this stuff? i'm a uni student who is having trouble reading the stuff i'm interested in and you seem to be doing shit just for fun? was it always like this?
>>
>>26762067
Maybe he should've downloaded a book on downloading
>>
>>26762071
Not him, but I just love the idea of being able to learn

It's kind of like writing. Once you get into the habit, you go from thinking "that'd make a nice story" to "I can start writing that right now"

Even if the story is shit and even if you don't get as far as you want, you've still achieved something.

It also really helps when there is zero pressure and nothing to lose but time.
>>
>>26762071
its a better use of my time than video games or anime. i just enjoy learning about things that interest me. i'm a NEET
>>
>>26762071
>>26762101
As for "was it always like this?"

No, not at all. For a long time I just spent my time shitposting and wishing I was good at something. I found that I wanted the skill rather than wanted to learn. Why was everyone good at something when I'm mediocre to terrible at everything? Why didn't I attend a club when I was in school? Why can't I just do it?

Then I started learning one thing and got that feeling of progress, so I kept doing it.
>>
The Complete Encyclopedia Of Minerals - Description of over 600 Minerals from around the world
by Petr Korbel, Milan Novak
Grange Books | July 2001 | ISBN-10: 1840134046 | PDF | 296 pages | 28.6 mb
http://www.amazon.com/Minerals-Description-Over-Around-World/dp/1840134046

Encyclopedia of Minerals is a book for all people interested in the beautiful world of minerals. They can find here hundreds of photographs of beautiful crystals and crystal aggregates, together with a list of classic and new occurrences for each mineral species. Minerals are arranged into chapters according to the mineral system.

CONYENTS
Introduction 7
1. Elements 9
2. Sulphides 19
3. Halides 67
4. Oxides 75
5. Carbonates 113
6. Borates 131
7. Sulfates 137
8. Phosphates 155
9. Silicates 193
10. Organic compounds 281
11. Rocks, meteorites and tektites 285
Recommended literature 291
Index 293
noice
>>
>>26762154
Are you being 100% legit? your not fucking me around, are you?
>>
>>26761447
Enjoy mining bc and all the adware
>>
>>26762289
okay thx
>>
share some of the stuff you robots are learning and where you downloaded it from
>>
>>26761222
I would argue that learning and mental illness has a negative correlation desu senpai desu sempai chan. Look at all the Uni's in America and to a lesser extent the UK, they either turn out demented rich people who go on to be blood thirsty capitalists and politicians or SJW's.
>>
>>26763055
The idea that learning should only be associated with universities is dumb anyway. We live in an age where there is a "for complete morons" guide to nearly anything you could want to learn. You don't even need to read half the time because there are videos too.
>>
>>26761329
>MUH CLIENT IS BETERER THAN YOUR!!!

they get in my download file all the same
>>
I love learning and have a variety of interests, but I can't get myself to stick with a topic to properly learn it.
I get annoyed or impatient by my lack of skill too easily, ending up no longer working on the topic for the time being. I'm also fairly easily distracted, attention span is sub-par.

Being a perfectionist is my downfall in this though, as it's bloody hard to accept things simply won't be even remotely close to perfect or "good enough" when I just start out with a craft/skill. When it's not good enough for my taste or isn't as I had pictured, I lose motivation and end up taking a break from the craft/skill for days to weeks.

Anyone with an idea or different perspective or state of mind on how to deal with this? "Just keep going" is sadly not something that works for me at the moment, though your approach, reasoning or train of thought to similar issues leading to just doing it might.

I kind of miss learning.
>>
>>26763055
wish i could have kept bein da maths prodigy i wuz as a kid but now i mostly play music and read literature cuz i got lazy as a motherfucker u feel
>>
>>26763055
idk why i quoted ur post sorry dawg
>>
>>26763552
Well for one thing, don't attach labels like "perfectionist" to yourself

Telling yourself that you are an X person who is good at X but will never be great at X just makes everything harder. Go in with an objective goal in mind and try to shut out the "this isn't good enough" thoughts.

I think the very very basic step is to realize that skills aren't binary and every bit of progress is an achievement, but maybe that falls into the "just keep going" thing.
>>
>>26763552
I udes to worry about the same things, but I changed some perspectives...

1) Do not picture anything, just submerge yourself into the topic without expectation of performances
2) Read ONE book about the topic, all of it, just one, then you can see all the other books only the chapters that interest you, but you first need ONE full book down in your brain, even the "For Dummies" it's good.

3) If you lose interest anyway, don't worry, thare is no pressure and you will eventually get back to it, I do usually have 3 or 4 technical books around and I advance on them bit by bit, I do have an Organic Chgemistry book at 40% and it took me like 2 years to get there, but there is time in life, anon.

This is for fun!
>>
>>26764652
Makes sense. I do try to shut out the "this isn't good enough" and am able to use actual rational arguments like the fact I just started with a skill and expecting to excel at it already is plain silly, but it takes at least a day normally before I can get back to continuing whatever I was attempting. Especially whenever I try to make something out of materials and it seems imperfect I worry continuing will just ruin it all, taking more time to force myself back to it (think things like making clothes, origami, woodcarving, etc.).
It's a "just keep going" thing, but with feedback on how to possibly do so, which is exactly what I was hoping to get some help with. So thank you, Anon.

>>26764658
#1 is a tough one, I'm quite imaginative as in trying to get an idea of how things I learn could be applied and such before actually needing it. It's an issue of mine trying to learn C++ for instance. A lot of information, but for a lot of it I can't imagine what practical use they have yet, as all I've worked with so far are the basic things that require nothing advanced what so ever. I do love those moments I learned something and I can apply it though, it's this moment of "Eureka!", the satisfying sensation, that makes learning even more fun.

#2 is something I read about recently, or kind of a similar thing that is. Something about trying to learn every day for 30 days, no slacking, no days off, just learning. That way you'll gather some knowledge but also make it a "habit" to learn or practice whatever you're doing, which should help making it more feasible continuing. This is something I'm going to try starting this Monday.

#3, agreed, though time is less abundant for me but that doesn't matter.
>I do have an Organic Chemistry book
Nice, same here. Read it years ago at Chemistry college, had to drop out, decided to start reading again to recollect the stuff. I'm at 20% or something.
Useful stuff, thank you Anon.
>>
>>26765073
1 more question:
Any tips on how to keep the motivation when you're at the point of needing a lot of repetition to improve? E.g. I play the bass guitar and need to work on my finger control to improve enough to actually start learning new or more advanced stuff, but its so dull that I often ended up postponing it altogether and not play the bass guitar at all for weeks on end. Now I just jam and do simple improv a few times a week to at least do something, but I won't improve without that dull finger practice. Same goes for other skills/crafts where repeating for improvement is wise or necessary, I'm too easily bored it's nothing new and the improvement is not directly visible I guess?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.