[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any robots here make music to pass time? If so what kind? do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13
Any robots here make music to pass time? If so what kind? do you get paid for your work? how long have you been doing it?
>>
me recent mix; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79_xiUoBSc
>>
>>26712778

Yes. I play simple improvised keyboard music. I don't know how to read music, but over the last 15 years, I've learned which notes sound good when you play them together.

It's a pleasant escape. Not to mention, two hand independence is like crack for autists.
>>
classical, i get paid for game soundtrack stuff sometimes (just small stuff)

Why E major?
>>
>>26712865
>Why E major?
It was just the first music related picture I could find.
>>26712855
Nice. Do you just do solo things or have you played with bands before?
>>
>>26712865
cool, do you self publish your work or have a BMI?
>>
yo i made music instead of going to class all through high shcool and somehow managed to get into calarts

contemplating whether or not i'm willing to basicaly rob my dads hard earned cash to screw around with a bunch of creative resources for 4 years

would you do it? i have a super shitty gpa so i didn't get into any actual academic universities anyway
>>
>>26713066

I just play in my bedroom. I don't really mention it to anyone, so I've never been in a band.
>>
Yup. I'm in an indie band, and i record music in my bedroom about s&m and unsolved murders.

The band doesn't play much, so it doesn't pay much, but it's a great way of appearing social without actually having to have charisma. And nobody expects hygiene, interpersonal skills or sobriety from musicians anyway.
>>
>>26712865
It's the second best scale, after e minor
>>
I'm supposedly a musical person but the only position I could ever imagine fulfilling in a band is the role of a vocalist, and/or lyricist. I used to play piano and guitar with a teacher but quit both years ago. People tell me my voice sounds very pleasant though.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 250x187
>>26712778
>Theatre Organ
>Get paid to play concerts
>Been playing for around 10 years
>Working on first recording.

Pic related
>>
>>26713089
no im just learning

>>26713358
haha no fucking chance G/e and D/b for life
>>
I too am a music person. I could play trombone in my jazz and concert band when I went to community college and tried majoring in music. After awhile I realized I was total shit and was just a mediocre retard trying to fit in with these classically trained geniuses. Than I just made little electronic music with a DAW for awhile and it sounded ok. Than I learned guitar and thats mainly what I play now. People will always compliment me on my skills but in reality my skills could hardly land me any type of monetary compensation. I think I could join a band singing or playing guitar if the people were really patient and friendly. But in all honesty I could never find that and I'm probably not even good enough at music and should probably quit that too because I really want a gf. And gf's only after cool musicians that make money and go to shows and have friends. I'm just really shitty and play in my room alone all the time. I really love music though and now that I'm losing that too due to my depression and everything really sucks.
>>
>>26713549

It's ultimately about your enjoyment. Don't sacrifice your hobbies to get a gf. You still need to be a whole person. Someone worthwhile will appreciate your abilities.
>>
Anyone got a good book to learn how to music theory?
>>
>>26713606
What's the point of learning something or doing something if I'm never going to get a gf though. I enjoy it but I'm not working 12+ hours a day for years like how most good musicians do. This is also the reason why me and a lot of other robots want to go on welfare because even having any type of job wouldn't land them a gf.
>>
>>26713621
Like ultra basics?
Just look up your countries like, main music education body (RCM for canada idk for the states) and see what they use for "rudiments"
>>
>>26713621

The Danhauser one. You Can find it on kickass torrent
>>
>>26713637
Because there's more to life than having a girlfriend. What do you think you're going to do when you're not with her? What will you talk to her about? You need genuine interests to be a complete person worth spending time with. I say this as someone who has been with the same girl for almost 4 years. My interest in a relatively obscure instrument and my love of music is part of the reason she's with me. It's a huge part of my personality.
>>
>>26713549
Play open mics. Its where i met my girlfriend, and i'm about as cool as... I dunno, something uncool. It's late and i'm bad at comparisons.

But seriously, if you don't mind women who play black keys covers on the ukelele and hearing the same fucking dylan and neil young songs all the time, it's a decent scene. Google some bars in your city. You'll find a band/gf/friends within a couple of weeks.

I'm in toronto, and you can play three different bars a night. Don't know what its like where you're from.

But if you are in toronto, you might run into jody, from the band "jody and the friendzone," a dude whose whole schtick is not getting any action. His shit might resonate with you.
>>
>>26713637
And also, I haven't spent 12+ hours a day practicing and have still done very well, though studying with one of the top living theatre organists has helped with that.
>>
>>26712778
I play guitar a lot and started making my own shit that sounds like Explosions in the Sky or Do Make Say Think, kind of just messing around but might actually right some down and record at some point
>>
I would but I don't have the motivation to learn and get better at it.
>>
Talented guitarist, trained for ~7 years been playing for 12. I just play for myself now, gave up a long time ago
>>
what a cool hobby

seriously

if you write and make your own music you are fucking cool

i'm so jealous, i played the cello for like 5 years but i was never good at it and i ended up selling it, i'd love to be a pro musician
>>
>>26713782
Why get better? Learn three chords, write lyrics about fucking hedgehogs or donald trump or zombie trannies or some shit.
>>
>>26713832
Worked for Wesley Willis
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9WcPSE_Q7c
>>
>>26713809
I'm kinda jealous of you, familia, always thought cello was sick. You should find a drummer and a bass player and make some crazy drone punk. Provided you get your gear (and possibly your mojo) back.

Do people still say mojo? Do i mean swag?
>>
>>26713860
Thanks for the new ringtone, anon.
>>
File: Audioengine_A5_5.jpg (972 KB, 1200x1282) Image search: [Google]
Audioengine_A5_5.jpg
972 KB, 1200x1282
>>26712778
can brobot please advise me on some good bang for your buck studio monitors?
budget: trying to save some bucks for living
>>
>>26713909
He has literally hundreds of songs just like that. He was schizophrenic and wrote them to disgust the demons so they'd stay away.
>>
>>26713949
Behringer b2031a, or at least they work well for the mid-high stuff in my virtual organ setup.
>>
>>26713976
thank you
also do speakers generally have a flatter response than headphones? its the whole reason im getting them
>>
>>26714002
I think so, but I'm not positive. I don't know much about audio beyond what I need to for my setup. You can find the behringers on eBay for well below MSRP.
>>
File: 7d1.jpg (49 KB, 600x649) Image search: [Google]
7d1.jpg
49 KB, 600x649
>>26712778
trying to learn guitar but Iam shit.
>>
Play some piano, cello, and percussion with emphasis on marching snare and bass. Yea I was a marching band kid.
>Muh F# minor
>>
File: 1442296735855.jpg (249 KB, 1059x1410) Image search: [Google]
1442296735855.jpg
249 KB, 1059x1410
Check out this sweet chord progression I came up with

C major
A Minor
Bb major 6
G Minor 6
>>
i envy you all. i love music and spend hours just listening to it when i can. usually late at night/early morning. i have no education, formal or otherwise about it though, so i can just barely describe how it sounds or the comprising parts.
i really gotta learn. if i can't be book smart i just want to be as creative as possible. i don';t want to be worthless anymore
>>
>>26713714
https://youtu.be/UVBHQT3eCKQ
>>
if i've never touched an instrument is it possible to become proficient as an adult?

i'm untalented and clumsy but i'm willing to put the time in.

if i'm a fucking loser NEET, i might as well do something creative and constructive.
>>
>>26714089
If you're going from C into Gm, try substituting a D7 or D9 for the Bb6. You can also make that Am7 into an Am7(b5)
>>
>>26714127
nigga just get internet to teach you.
I was the same and if i had started earlier id be much better at what i do. browse forums start anywhere. theres so much shit to learn
>>
>>26714176
Fo sho. We have too many myths about music, and one of the biggest ones is that its ever too late to start. Pick up an instrument, and just suck at it for six months. If you are truly as much of a "fucking loser neet" as you claim to be, you'll have the time it takes to keep playing. Just don't be discouraged when the first thing you play doesn't sound like zeppelin or whatever. Eventually, you'll be at a place where you like what you hear. But i stress that it will take time and you will probably hate yourself (though if you're posting here, that shouldn't be too much of an issue)
>>
>>26714176
If you want to do it just go for it. Before you go out and buy some hugely expensive instrument just look up basic rhythm and how note are aligned on a staff (I'd recommend treble first) But just look for something that you are interested in and if you try to understand it you can get it. I learned as a 4th grader so you can learn as an adult. Music isn't a passing opportunity it's an always open door to those willing to try it
>>
I play classical guitar, and make enough money performing/teaching to afford an apartment.
>>
File: 1455630932946.jpg (104 KB, 1038x1476) Image search: [Google]
1455630932946.jpg
104 KB, 1038x1476
To anyone who wants to learn basic music theory the way I did it is I had like a cheap kids keyboard that played accompanying chords for you

so like if you played the c note it would play c major and on the screen would show all the notes that make up c major

so i memorized c and then I went up to d

and like i played those two chords a bunch until I could play them comfortably

I also found out my favorite chord progression is literally just D->C

then I went to E, F, G, etc.

eventually I knew all the major chords

and then you figure out minor chords are the same as major chords but the middle note is just slightly lower

so you got all your majors and minors figured out

then you can figure out chord progressions you like

If C is 1, D is 2, E is 3, F is 4, so on

you'll find that 1 4 5 is a very common chord progression

my favorite chords are usually like 1/5/6/7 sort of stuff I stay away from 2/3/4

but yeah it's a cheap hobby

I'm no braniac at it but it's literally just fun to sit down at the piano and play chords and try to make up melodies
>>
>>26713959
That's really cool. He kept fighting, even though he was fighting his head. Something a lot of robots could take something from
>>
File: swingset.jpg (110 KB, 595x577) Image search: [Google]
swingset.jpg
110 KB, 595x577
OC incoming

https://soundcloud.com/basementvacation
>>
>>26712778
yes do
>>
>>26714914
Really liked bad habits, senpai
>>
File: 1455563988410.jpg (152 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1455563988410.jpg
152 KB, 600x600
soundcloud.com/the-savage-detectives
>>
I have been making seldomly making tunes on Ableton for a few years. I got a digital piano a month ago and I'm really enjoying actually learning to play, even though I can only play a shitty rendition of Brahms Lullaby at the moment. I try to make sure I practice every day but I usually am only on for 30-60 minutes. How long do you real musicians think one should practice for?
>>
>>26714431
You sound cool, I'd love to watch you sit down and make up melodies. I guess I have a romantic idea that the relaxed personality I projected onto you from your anonymous post would come through in your musical ideas. Thanks for the post.
>>
>>26714176
Just do it. I've been playing bass for over a year and having fun with it. I like playing some funky songs, don't care if the bass line is simple or not, as long as it is groovy I like to play it. I've also been chipping away at sheet music with a metronome and getting better with slap and popping on the bass as well. Go for it and have fun.

Personally I really like going to this song, it is just so damn catchy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44
>>
>>26713340
You're a bit funny anon but I hate you just because
>indie band
idk, sorry
>>
What are some nice grade 2/3 pieces for piano? Tired of Bach
>>
>>26716767
>tired of bach
Find a new instrument

Look up the clementi sonatinas though, i know the first one and im only level 4
>>
I've been playing guitar for almost 10 years. However, I've only recently started making music. I've written three songs. One is a solo piece for guitar, and the second one's a piano sonata that I wrote for my music theory class. The third one is a pop-rock song. I wish I got paid for it, but I don't really have time to make a career out of music because I'm in college right now, although I kind of wish I could just drop out of college and do something with music.
>>
>>26717050
Me too, im in uni but i spend all my free time working on music obsessively. I would never take a risk like that though. But it hurts everytime i hear about people in music programs or professional musicians or whatever
>>
>>26716663
It's okay anon. I hate myself too. And "indie" is just how you describe "rock music that doesn't sound like the red hot chili peppers or nickelback" where i'm from.
>>
>>26716626
hey dude, glad to hear theres another bassist. ive been playing for 2 years, in a more "guitar-ish" style (like mike kerr of royal blood or arctic monkeys stuff)
>>
me and my dude play guitars and bass together, sometimes ill walk over to the drums and tap the bass drum in some rhythm. we mostly play like hardcore punk
>>
>>26717079
What inspired you to pick up the bass? Before I'd just casually listen to music and mostly hear the guitars and drums but really never got a good idea for what the bass really sounded like. Then I saw a video on the bass portion of the Unlimited Saga battle theme and thought it was pretty damn awesome. I really dug the sound.
>>
>>26712778
I play in a local pub band, we normally play punk, some sort of alt rock stuff (think pixies or white stripes, always get a good reaction) on top of our own stuff.

Get paid if we get gigs, and I occasionally get a bit for session work, but it's not a source of income for me, and it mostly just funds more guitars or gear, I mostly just do it because I enjoy playing.

About a year or so, been playing with the group for about 2 though.
>>
File: what i learned in music theory.jpg (906 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
what i learned in music theory.jpg
906 KB, 2688x1520
G scale master race
>>
>>26713549
I played trombone freshman year, apparently I was really good. I didn't find it fun so I just quit. I don't understand why people are so passionate for band
>>
>>26714176
I can already tell you are going to give up the moment you feel like its too much to learn an instrument. I'm a musician myself and I can tell you from learning that the first 4 months were fucking hell. You'll be playing one note at a time and your fingers are going to be extremely tired and you will constantly feel like giving up. but a man pushes through that shit and learns what he wants to learn.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (683 KB, 1855x697) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
683 KB, 1855x697
The poor and lonely person's makeshift band.
>>
>>26717352
how are you in a punk band that plays white stripes and pixies?
ive noticed almost all the local bands in my area also put the word punk next to them despite any actual musical relevance to punk
>>
>>26712778
I play guitar really well. No I don't get paid for it. Yes I write my own songs.
>>
>>26717594
>F A G

kek
>>
>>26712778
Does writing lyrics count?
I have some decent barz, but can only write when I'm high
>>
>>26717716
white stripes and pixies are totally punk

nah man good charlotte is
>>
File: 1355505979580.jpg (634 KB, 1040x1074) Image search: [Google]
1355505979580.jpg
634 KB, 1040x1074
>>26717825
if by punk you mean alternative
>>
>>26717872
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqelcupWcPg

am I doing it rite/
>>
I'm a bass player, electric and upright bass, with a couple different bands. I play gigs fairly often, maybe 7/8 shows in a light month, up to 15 in a busier one.

If anyone wants to just perform a lot bass is your best option, everyone needs a bass player.
>>
>>26717973
I keep hearing this, how did it become that bassists are in such demand?
>>
File: DFA1979.jpg (961 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
DFA1979.jpg
961 KB, 2560x1536
>>26717998
because no one in their right mind would play a 4 stringed guitar that called a bass when they can play a real guitar
>>
>>26717998
It's because every style of music needs one, and there just aren't as many good bass players out there. If you learn how to play a couple different styles well you'll be in demand.
>>
>>26717934
idk but when we play punk we play a cover of doom's relief and sore throats alcoholics unanimous
>>
>>26718042
Well I'd assume drummers would be in demand as well and I doubt there would be as many people able to play as a drummer unlike a bassist.

Though it does sound fun to do different styles depending upon the gig.
>>
I just started keyboard yesterday. Any resources or tips famindingalingos?
>>
>>26718085
qwerty or something else?
>>
>>26718068
Drummers are definitely in high demand, if one of my first two calls is busy I sometimes have trouble hiring someone. Drummer availability is a little more dependent in style though. A lot more people wanted to play drums than bass as kids, so in more popular styles you end up finding a lot of drummers. But If I'm playing a jazz gig or something like that it can be pretty hard.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.