[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did any of the popular philosophers rationalize and promote living
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_3074%20(1)[1].jpg (292 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3074%20(1)[1].jpg
292 KB, 768x1024
Did any of the popular philosophers rationalize and promote living by yourself, with little contact with family or friends, never finding a romantic partner, and overall being a robot?

Or is this idea so fucking moronic that nobody ever promoted it?
>>
Diogenes and Schopenhauer.
>>
>>26670666
Diogenes abandons too much. No internet, no books, no blanket, just your naked ass on the naked earth.
Cant take him seriously other than as a mental exercise.

Schopenhauer isnt like that at all. He is for companionship and socializing, and thinks relationships are important.
>>
File: 1390103826046.jpg (76 KB, 576x446) Image search: [Google]
1390103826046.jpg
76 KB, 576x446
>>26670606
if you're working towards a goal that brings you face to face with another human, your work isn't entirely pointless. if you're attempting to put into action the ideas of another person, you aren't really alone. but realistically you still have to be able to support yourself.

philosophy is macro-scale. how kings should conduct themselves. what works for the highly functional won't apply as well to a dysfunctional man.
>>
File: 11-04-03-Ming-Painting-Met[1].jpg (121 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
11-04-03-Ming-Painting-Met[1].jpg
121 KB, 640x480
>>26670606
Epicurus recommended retreat from the world, though he also recommended that you do it with friends.

What you described is essentially the hermit lifestyle, whether Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, or some other religion.
>>
>>26670996
>Epicurus recommended retreat from the world, though he also recommended that you do it with friends.
Yeah, I know his clubhouse idea got bastardized to create the monasteries.

>religious hermitage
But I am an atheist. Seriously, the only way to justify how I live would be religion, and I cant belief.
>>
virginia woolf
>>
Nietzsche said to do this, but that you would eventually try to return to society regardless. You should read Zarathustra.
>>
>>26671269
You should suck Myawanga.
>>
>>26671283
quality post tbqhwyfamdamnly
>>
>>26671240
>Woolf suffered from severe bouts of mental illness throughout her life, thought to have been what is now termed bipolar disorder, and committed suicide by drowning in 1941 at the age of 59.

Not exactly someone who's advice I'd follow to be quite frank.
>>
>>26670606
Plotinus died alone, isolated from friends and family. He had a principle of wisdom from 'one alone to one alone'. You should check that guy out, bitches seemingly wanted him, but he was all like: naw, gon' live muh isolated lyfe.
>>
>>26670606
Henry David Thoreau
>>
Hermit Christian monks did I forget who the main guy was tho
>>
Nietzsche said that talking about "Free Spirits" and the new Philosophers, he was actually talking about himself and the robots
>>
>>26671269
Well i'll say its like "you should live amongst the people but isolate yourself"
>>
>>26670690
Well in more broad of terms, Cynicism is less about abandoning things and more about controlling desire. The abandoning is a method of teaching yourself about the pleasures of the most simple acquisitions, I.e., water and just enough food to keep you going. It was through this minimalism that they actually came to find the most basic parts of life can be the most pleasurable parts of life.

The isolation was there, but it was an isolation brought by wanting to turn on their heads the accepted values of the society that they despised. So rather than completely fucking off to the middle of nowhere, they stayed in society's shadow to engage it and argue the wrongs in it.

I really believe most robots are Cynics to some extent and it is the philosophy that fits this board the most rather than the usually spouted nihilism.
>>
>>26671034
It depends on the school, but in Buddhism the idea is that you arrive at insight through practice, it doesn't demand you believe straight away.
>>
>>26671818
Can you really call me a cynic, when I spend most of my time indulging in eating unhealthy food, masturbating, watching movies and posting on 4chan, things that I want to do, rather than things that I have to do?

Most people here are rather failed hedonists, who want to live for pleasure, but circumstances conspire against them.
>>
>>26672057
>to some extent

The point being with a little effort they would realize how well their views align, and it would give them a lot of happiness in turn. Being a failed hedonist is exactly why robots would make such good Cynics. You have to obviously learn it to actually follow it, but the beauty of Cynicism is that not every Cynic believes in going as far as Diogenes and you can tailor it to your interests.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.