[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you believe there exists intelligent life forms on other planets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10
File: 1309282390832.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1309282390832.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
Do you believe there exists intelligent life forms on other planets?
>>
I'd say it's a possibility, but they aren't intelligent enough to have us know about them or their home is too far away from the Milky Way Galaxy
>>
Yes, I highly doubt their language would be anything near ours, though, we'd probably have to find another way to communicate with them
also hope we colonize mars
>>
File: Untitled (2).png (71 KB, 167x217) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (2).png
71 KB, 167x217
Definitely. The planet that they come from is a very peaceful place. It's quite nice and a very happy place. Every one of them has a smiling face.
They hardly ever walk, instead they mostly dance.
They hardly ever speak, instead they mostly sing.
We sure could learn a lot from those folks in outer space.
>>
Yes. The universe is so huge that it would be very unlikely if there were none.
>>
They exist somewhere but not anywhere close to here. Either that or we're the first intelligent species.
>>
File: Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_NICMOS.jpg (838 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_NICMOS.jpg
838 KB, 1600x1600
There are approximately 100 billion galaxies in the (visible) universe. That's a big number - 100,000,000,000 - the largest galaxy we know of contains approximately 1 TRILLION stars , an even bigger number - 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 - by comparison the milky way contains 100 billion stars. The numbers are astronomicaly good for there to be intelligent life other than us (we are not that intelligent). So yes, if you don't believe there are aliens out there but you still buy lottery tickets, you're a moron.
>>
>>26661999
these trips speak the truth
>>
>>26661999
that's not even all the math but it's 4.34 am so cut me some slack
>>
It's more likely than not.

At the moment we don't really know how much life in general is out there. Once we confirm life exists elsewhere independently from us, then the likelihood because very high. If we can come to fully understand the conditions for intelligent life, then we can get a pretty good idea of the answer.

Unfortunately we will never actually know. Space is fucking massive, there could be a billion other intelligent species out there and we would still be 99.99999999999999999999999% likely to never even see a trace of them.

tl;dr probably but it doesn't matter anyway
>>
File: litupnightsky.png (2 MB, 999x748) Image search: [Google]
litupnightsky.png
2 MB, 999x748
>>26661999
This is from a game but this is supposed to be a picture of what the night sky might look like 1000 years from now.
I think it's beautiful.
>>
>>26661999
>we are not that intelligent

What do you base this on? Humans are the most intelligent known creatures by a very large distance. Our accomplishments are very large.

I get that SF tends to downplay the intelligence of humans, but there is no real reason to believe that.
>>
>>26662339
it can look sort of like that, it all the depends on the thickness of the atmosphere obscuring your view.. you should travel to a mountain very far outside the city to really become awestruck by the sight of the milky way and the cosmos unfolding behind it.

this is also a nice picture

>>26662418
because we have atomic weapons pointed at ourselves. Because our decision making is crippled by a primal political hierarchy. Because we are savage beasts behind the image we portray to society. We are by far the dominant life form on this planet, but based on our actions our supposed intelect is relative to what we see around us. We have created many wonderous things for certain we have long way to go.
>>
>>26662339
Does the sky ever really look like that when viewed with the naked eye? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.
Can barely see any stars most nights, have to really focus to notice them.

Is it all because of light pollution or something?
>>
The universe has been here for 13 and some billion years, the planet for 4 and a half billion, modern humans for ~100,000 and civilization for only ~12,000. Wpuldn't take much for us to die off within another few thousand years. I would expect there to have been intelligent life in the past, or there to be some in the future. I dunno about right now though.
>>
>>26662557
>because we have atomic weapons pointed at ourselves.

I'd say the sheer level of intelligence required to make those atomic weapons says more than us using them against each other.

I guess my problem is you're using a made up ideal to base your statements on, rather than some kind of concrete marker. It's like saying the average IQ should be 200 and then calling everyone a moron.
>>
>>26662557
I want to do this one day. I live in a flatland suburb so I'd have to leave this place.
>>26662575
I think it's supposed to be the view from earth in the future where the night sky is lit up even brighter from more starlight reaching us. I don't really know if it's possible.
>>
>>26661744
intelligent lifeforms don't even exist on this planet. Just a bunch of breeders begging the question ad-nauseum
>>
File: Sky.jpg (48 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
Sky.jpg
48 KB, 620x400
>>26662690
Yeah, I know it's supposed to be the view a thousand or so years from now, but you see similar pictures which are supposed to be contemporary.
I was just never really sure if they're supposed to be representative of something you could actually see without a telescope or something.
They seem to be presented that way in a lot of fiction but it could just be artistic licence.
>>
>>26662673

Your reading comprehension only serves my original statement.
>>
File: 1386391686404.png (356 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1386391686404.png
356 KB, 572x380
Imagine all of the very precise little things that had to happen in our galaxy to facilitate just one planet with "intelligent life." Now imagine the likelihood of that ever happening again.

The answer is no, there's no chance of intelligent life existing elsewhere.
>>
>>26663002
I understood your post perfectly fine, I just disagreed with its conclusions
>>
File: drake.png (60 KB, 439x304) Image search: [Google]
drake.png
60 KB, 439x304
>>26661744
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlikCebQSlY

from cosmos where sagan assumes that 1% of planets with life develop intelligent life. That seems on the insanely high side. One in a million seems more reasonable which would mean, other than us, there's zero intelligent life in our galaxy.
>>
>>26663039
>Imagine all of the very precise little things that had to happen in our galaxy to facilitate just one planet with "intelligent life."
Why don't you list them?
>>
>>26662889
I think in a sense it really does look lit up like that but because of light pollution and distance some spots appear dark. Maybe in the future it will look brighter with the naked eye once those spots get filled up by more light reaching us.
>>
File: 1555575534444.png (330 KB, 603x452) Image search: [Google]
1555575534444.png
330 KB, 603x452
>>26661744

No idea. We have virtually no information on this with which to come to a conclusion.

Really, I'm not sure what is worse, that we can at any moment be wiped out by some unknowable horror from the stars, or that we are completely alone in the universe.
>>
>>26663039
1/10 text was too obvious but the reaction image got you a point because no doubt one or two people will take it seriously
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.