[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily Buddhism Thread - DBT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: happymonk.jpg (26 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
happymonk.jpg
26 KB, 500x599
We should all literally become Buddhist monks.

>Wake up
>Do some chores
>Go for a walk and ask for donations
>Eat
>Meditate in a quiet place
>Listen to your teacher give a talk
>Go to sleep

Imagine after 10 years of being a monk how happy you would be.
>>
>>26648665
That sounds boring af
>>
>>26648665

Except its not like that.
>>
>>26648700
What's it like? ORIGINAL COMMENT WOOT 1231212121215 psakdfwalaw
d
>>
>>26648665
Like >>26648687 said, it may look relaxing at first,but it will become very boring.Also you omitted a lot of other things that monks do
>>
If you're happy as a Buddhist, then you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>26648665
Monk life is the best life.

I can't make myself believe though and it's hard for me to do something I don't believe in.

And it's not only sunshines and rainbows either.
Many monks travel around a lot to give talks, prepare ceremonies and stuff like this.
Sometimes it's really hard physical labour.

If anyone is interested in monks life I recommend looking up Ajahn Brahm YouTube.
In his talks he often speaks about life of a Buddhist monk.
>>
File: 1212112.jpg (67 KB, 591x563) Image search: [Google]
1212112.jpg
67 KB, 591x563
>>26648726
What did I admit? Giving talks?

I was under the impression new monks don't usually give talks.
>>
File: 1456018914057.jpg (59 KB, 700x390) Image search: [Google]
1456018914057.jpg
59 KB, 700x390
I'm planning on becoming one actually.
I don't see the point in trying to chase success and money. I've had everything i wanted in my early life and it never made happy. I always had to have the next and the next thing.
Meditation and mindfullness is the only thing that truly brings you happiness and i'm sure you would make many great friends in a zen monastery

I would much rather make my own church where we work for each other and help each other and dance and meditate and enjoy life to the fullest like pic related. also i don't want to miss sex as a monk but that doesn't seem to be a problem for most of you here
>>
>>26648809
Sometimes they do for training. I remember two stories.
One where monk was not good in Thai and had to give talk in Thai which led to many laughs for the audience.
Other one where teacher chose one of his monks for a talk.
His talk was terrible of course and made many people leave.
He was so happy when his time was running out but his teacher said "One more hour."
This made the talk even more boring and by the end of second hour his teacher said "Another hour."

They often do shit like this to young monks.
>>
The problem with buddhism is that every institution of it is a glib facsimile of the original teachings.
all forms are heavily cultural and ritualised.

so my advice is to go to the forest alone and do it by yourself because groups a shit.
>>
Who else is just lurking here waiting for the anon that spergs out over Buddhism?
>>
>>26648665
Buddhism is shit

>all life is precious
>if you do bad things you'll be a frog
>but I'm already a frog
>uhh be good and youll go beyond human heh

Siddhartha starved himself to near death, but instead of finding mystic enlightment he thought "wtf am I doing this is retarded give me rice cunt".

The monks living in mountains are cool but Buddhism achieves nothing lol.
>>
>>26648759
I think Brahm had a talk about faith in Buddhism.

It might have be Ajahn Jeneroso (Can't spell his name lol). It was one of the lectures in a university.

>>26648983
I remember that story. But wasn't he a monk already for like 2 years?

>>26649004
Let's try to avoid that.
>>
>>26649004
>spam buddhist threads
>an anon argues with you
>HAHAHA, ARE YOU MAD YOU FUCKING AUTIST?
>>
>>26648809
Yes, but it's not like you imagine, that timetable is inaccurate since its doesn't show exactly how much time you will spend on each activity.You will have to do a lot of praying, talks and teachings.It will eventually get boring, praying everyday.(If you're more curious, google '' Liturgy of Hours'')
>>
>>26649010
Plus the purpose of life is passing on memory, not goodwill.

Still better than Atheism though.
>>
>>26649032
I imagine that's the point that it's seemingly boring. Don't you think?
>>
>>26648886
I also feel like in a monastery you would make amazing friendships.
>>
>>26649025
>being this new

Smdh tbqh family
>>
>>26649084
Well you got a point here, it depends on each person,some people enjoy this kind of lifestyle, some absolutely hate it.
>>
>>26648665

Buddhism is fucking gay though
>>
File: unnamed_2.jpg (35 KB, 414x288) Image search: [Google]
unnamed_2.jpg
35 KB, 414x288
>>26649151
Nice banter my friend! >ORIGINAL COMMENT SAFEGAURD 12132ji3awnd
>>
>>26649021
I don't think complete novices are giving talks but still it's not easy to go and do it even after 2 years.
It takes a lot of time to let go of your emotions and ego, many old monks are still getting angry, jealous etc.
Personally I think it's a good life though I would not recommend it to anyone who thinks it's all easy.
You need to take into account that you will have to go beyond your comfort zone many times.
Layman has laymans suffering and monk has monks suffering.

About the faith it's that I have a different beliefs than Buddhism that's it.
I like a lot of things about many religions but dislike a lot about them as well.
Otherwise I would probably become a monk.

Oh, and if you want to become a monk have some money saved.
Many monasteries can't afford to give food and shelter for every new monk so at the beggining you have to support yourself.
>>
this thread is the epitome of buddhism in the west.
fuck face whiteys always gotta convert others.
as if monasteries want fucking mentally ill 4chan losers
>>
Ignore the Buddhism and practice meditation and mindfulness instead. It's one of the few reasons why Buddhism has some staying power in modern society, because they're proven to be beneficial on your mental stability and overall happiness. However, there are aspects of Buddhism that are pretty retarded unless you're already prone to subscribing to the ideals, because fundamental beliefs in Buddhism include; vegetarianism, reincarnation, and prayer. If you do not believe in a higher power or you like eating meat, these are obviously not something you would find appealing.
>>
>>26649231
Also if you're an ambitious person that just can't give up your desires to be rich, successful, and fuck mad pussy, you are not compatible with Buddhism unless you're willing to give all of that up.
>>
thats why buddhism attracts society's rejects.. they already can't be successful at money or pussy so they pretend to give it up.
>>
>>26649270
Desire is a liar.

:D
>>
>>26649306
Maybe that's true.

But, when I look at my Grandpa, very successful (ran the biggest hotel in Toronto), lots of money, I'm sure he had enough pussy.

But he's above 80, and he doesn't seem super satisfied.
>>
File: Untitled.png (37 KB, 240x258) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
37 KB, 240x258
I don't know if this had been successful thread.

I'm not sure.
>>
>>26649586
It's a buddhist thread, it does not concern itself with being successful.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.