[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't we just become monks? I keep listening to talks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: unnamed_2.jpg (35 KB, 414x288) Image search: [Google]
unnamed_2.jpg
35 KB, 414x288
Why don't we just become monks?

I keep listening to talks by monks, and they seem genuinely happy.
>>
Post some talks by monks please. Do you mean Buddhist or Christian?
>>
>>26630638
Buddhist. I've only ever met Christian priests, and they aren't any happier than normal.

Youtube search Ajahn and then look at the suggestions for different speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_76yYwYygQ
This is a interesting intro.
>>
>>26630777
Buddhist monks aren't supposed to be happy. If they're happy then they're doing it wrong.
>>
>>26630805
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7n5CpmWRM

Happiness is common word to use.
>>
>>26630857
Buddhism is about just not giving a fuck about anything and focusing purely on yourself and removing yourself from existence.

It's a horribly selfish philosophy. And by purely wanting to be a part of it, you break it.
>>
>>26630441

Buddhism? Stay the fuck away from that.

When western people talk about Buddhism, its always this passive happy give no fucks kind of religion.

In reality its all about power and just the same shit with the other religions. Buddhist monks are racist as shit. They literally fight over the right to go back to the old ways, to the golden days of Buddhism monk tyranny, slapping peasents and robbing them blind.
>>
>>26630881
I would love for that to be the new first line on wikipedia for Buddhism lol.
>>
>>26630441
i dont need to follow some faggy dogma, i do my own shit and i gave up on self help/self improvement memes a long time ago
>>
>>26630881
well put
original post desu
>>
File: happy-friars.jpg (81 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
happy-friars.jpg
81 KB, 640x427
Countering with Franciscan Friars.
>>
Are there even any monks for non-religious reasons?
>>
>>26631217
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYz9hy5hi8

Not that I know of.
>>
File: 1453146231435.jpg (108 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1453146231435.jpg
108 KB, 601x601
>>26630441
Are you the friend in that other thread that wanted to go to some monastery?
You said
"this could be us senpai" or something, but then I had to leave.
Is the dream alive ?
>>
>>26632050
I might have posted a thread like that, but it would of been months ago.
>>
>>26632190
I can't recall how far back it was, but I think less than a week.
Are there three of us monk-wannabes here?
>>
>>26630857
I think they like to define themselves as 'content' rather than happy
>>
For anyone who doesn't believe in god... if you're trying to become a monk, yeah, you'll have to feign belief at some point. But remember, seclusion is a thing.
>>
>>26632273
a rich robot should start up a secular monestary, where you do monk shit but you don't have to actually be religious.
>>
>>26632240
They do, but, you know, this is 4chan. I didn't think about my post very hard.
>>26632205
>>26632050
The more I think about it, the more I start to realize it's the only way I'm going to be satisfied.
>>
>>26632294
Totally into it. I really dig solitude. If I ever get rich, that is happening.
>>
>>26630441
because you've been stimulated as FUCK since before you can even remember. i don't think you realize quite how boring it is to be a monk
>>
>>26632349
...and we're all miserable. Probably would be good for us don;t you think?
>>
>>26632294
>>26632344
No it won't. Reality is that 90% of us could make our lives better except we are all extremely lazy. I'd say the topic of making our own community must have been brought up a million times of this board. It's never going to happen.
>>
>>26632322
I've started daydreaming of it at least once / day.
I want to try to be happy as a monk, at least.
>>
>>26632432
it would be like drug withdrawal. imagine being plugged in to electronics and sugar for your entire lifetime up to this point and then all the sudden it's all gone and you're in the woods somewhere with fuck all to do. the sheer lack of stimulation would probably make a westerner go insane
>>
>>26632549
I suppose reading would be permitted? And most places you'd have quite some things to do.
>>
>>26632549
Some types make you work constantly.
>>
Life isn't worth living without desire. I need to struggle, overcome, and possibly meet my desires.
>>
>>26632975
You're like Shakespeare, yo.

Epic insight.
>>
>>26630441

MGTOW evolved

>>26607950
>>
>>26632294

You mean like a University, a school

YES

>>26633016
>>
I'd do it f a m
>>
>>26630441
Monks main objetive is reaching the nirvana which basically means no longer existing. Such a depressing pointless religion. I do think life in this world os mostly suffering as well but buddhism is not the answer
>>
>>26630441
The idea of being a monk always seems so fucking silly. Pacifists man... It's not that they don't do anything, it's that they go through life working hard to practice useless shit for the purpose of pursuing some mystical mumbo jumbo nonsense.

I want a secular monastery that's like the French Foreign Legion but with the true dedication you see in monks. It's a secretive organization of people who pledge to never leave and vow abstinence of hedonistic pleasures. It's all about teaching people to become fitter, smarter and better fighters and it legally acts as a private military contractor group. I want this to be something where people can come from anywhere and pledge complete loyalty to the group. We could train the perfect fighters.

Now that is a dream worth having, not just sitting around and thinking about the universe or some useless shit.
>>
>>26633034

I think r9k would be well suited in academia if to spend their time getting smarter

monks brewed beer, they experimented with gardening and breeding, they developed language and handwriting, some pursued science
>>
>>26633199
Gregor Mendel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel
>>
Women are literally underprivileged in this regard. Of all the institutions that could make women relevant to science, so few nunneries seem to cultivate that sort of direction. Nunneries are all about cleaning, cooking, caring for children/homeless, crafting, and praising the lord in that order.
>>
>>26633285

I should have mentioned that the female nuns did this to themselves, but it's because they do not want any of the nuns to achieve more than them. Achievement is vanity. I'm sure some of the spectacularly intelligent monks were secretly maligned by their peers for the same reason so why is this so pervasive in nunneries?
>>
>>26632549
thats total bullshit

I lost power for like 13 days a few years back, I was taking icy cold showers and reading books by lantern or listening to diff am radio stuff.

I didn't miss electricity that much
>>
>>26633285
>>26633345
>>26633199

perhaps the reason why "academia" is not the answer is because schools are overrun with degenerates, they are not secluded they are forced and exclusionary, they are not protected and hell the better ones are expensive

It is very wishful though
>>
>>26633408

its the closest thing people have, not to mention someone mentioned that maybe some rich guys could start a school
>>
>>26630805
Happy doesn't have to mean bouncing off the walls and dancing.

It can just mean satisfied and at peace.
>>
>>26632691
You would read buddhist texts thats what they mostly do
>>
No pussy, music, drugs etc. forget it.
>>
>>26630777

holy shit this is boring

what is he talking about?
>>
>>26635087
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is my point.

Most of us don't get pussy, ever.

>>26635253
His teacher.
>>
Taoism is pretty cool, don't know how common their monasteries are though.
>>
>>26630881
You have a very basic knowledge of Buddhism and are misinterpreting it, but that is ok, since you are just on r9k.
>>
>>26635394
Taoism is very hard for me to understand or even try to read canonical things of. It never seemed fleshed out.

Like Taoism was the ideas of 4 people squished together or something.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.