[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here losing interest in gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12
File: vYWLL9P36dGs.jpg (38 KB, 373x521) Image search: [Google]
vYWLL9P36dGs.jpg
38 KB, 373x521
>Only contemporary console I own is a 3DS.
>Own less than 10 games for it, and looking forward to nothing in the future for it.
>Last gen, only contemporary consoles were Wii, DS, and PSP.
>Had all the major consoles in gen before that (PS2, GameCube, Xbox, Dreamcast, GBA)
>Had PS1, N64, Saturn, and GBC
> Had SNES, Genesis, GB
> Had NES

I can't even get interested in what they are releasing now. I just find myself going back to older shit from the 90's and 00's.

>Realize eventually I will be done playing through everything there soon enough

Anyone else have this? I am trying to replace my vidya hobby with something else, and I can't seem to get interested in anything else.
>>
Me too anon, nothing interests me anymore.

I still game a little but its more just a time filler than something I do because I genuinely get enjoyment out of it, I guess we just grew up.

I've been trying to find something new to do but just can't get into anything, nothing appeals to me at all and yet I don't feel depressed at all.
>>
Feels lonely man.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 340x260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 340x260
>recently played both nier and vanquish
>could only push myself to play in ten minute bursts before shutting it off
>feel guilty every single second when I play videogames
>>
videogames are basically a drug
/r/stopgaming
>>
File: 1455738075260.gif (395 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1455738075260.gif
395 KB, 500x500
I'm not sure if it's because I grew up or because gaming got worse but hardly anything holds my attention for long anymore it seems to either be
>This game is fun as hell (run out of stuff to do in 100 hours)
or
>This game is fucking mundane (Able to play infinitely i.e LoL)
The only games I can think of recent years I got a whole lot of hours in and had solid fun in is probably Borderlands 2, Terraria and Kerbal Space Program, I mean a lot of triple A titles I got 100ish+ hours in but the decline in fun is really steep after you beat main campaigns and start to get your character decked out well. I'd say that's the issue with gaming now is that budgets are too high for it to be profitable to make a game with tons and tons of playability whilst also being enjoyable so one of those factors loses out in favor of the other
>>
I only ever play CSGO now. I try to reach out and play the other 300 games on my Steam list but nothing really interests me enough to get me to play more than a couple of hours. I'm barely interested in CS anymore as well I only play a couple games a week with friends. I think it involves being burnt out from school. I just want to go home and veg out and vidya just takes so much energy even when I play on my couch with a controller.
>>
File: sadbedpepe.png (87 KB, 684x576) Image search: [Google]
sadbedpepe.png
87 KB, 684x576
>>26618090
For the past few years I have been doing a lot of "re-visiting", starting a new play through of a game I really loved growing up. I did this already with much of the games I already really enjoyed.

In a few years I will pretty much be done with this even. I want some new interests, however, anime doesn't interest me, and no normie shit does either (tv, movies, sports).
>>
i would say yes but im 100% going to buy the new dark souls game so i guess i have at least 1 more in me. but no other game that i know of seems that interesting to me
>>
>>26618259
iktf anon, I spend a lot of time just exploring WoW zones I played during my child/teen years

Gym/exercise is good and I do that most days because you can say its a health thing not a hobby thing and in my experience you learn to like it, I've been getting into calisthenics lately but desu I need something proper, all hobbies just seem so lame tbqm senpai
>>
Another one with this "problem" here. I also have to find a way to fill this gap in my free time.
I'm afraid that this has been a natural process and that I'm supposed to have spent this time the last years taking care of, and raising, the children I don't have.
My more autistic friends don't let this nagging feeling get to them. They are man-children and do the stuff they couldn't do when they were actual children, like buying all current gen consoles, driving sport cars and watching every R-rated movie they can get their hands on.
>>
File: dominospepe_3.png (1 MB, 1359x816) Image search: [Google]
dominospepe_3.png
1 MB, 1359x816
It's hard to move from gaming to another hobby, because pretty much every hobby besides gaming requires some degree of discipline. Learning a language, learning an instrument, making art, gardening, woodworking, etc.
>>
>>26618205
Certainly a mix of both.

In the past, games were a smaller industry, so when devs developed things they had a lot more freedom and you could actually feel, while playing, "wow, they really cared about this part".

But now, like so many other things, games are mass-produced shits meant to generate the highest profit and fuck everything else. Creativity is dead, it's all about pushing it as fast as possible.

The only thing I've actually been able to enjoy as of late is tabletop RPG gaming, and even then we just use home brewed systems and make our own everything. Every single time I got hyped for a game, it turned out extremely disappointing. I want to kill myself simply for buying Dragon Age Inquisition.I knew I shouldn't have, but I still did it and there's no going back now, it's bought. I couldn't even play more than half an hour of that crap...
>>
>>26618335
Nah.

My normie fitness instructor friend spends a ton of money on his rig and plays games everyday.

He's totally not obsessed about it, though. He just plays crap he likes. That's the real difference between a problem and just being a normie.
>>
>>26618289
I am actually hoping to get into the gym and exercise soon. Hopefully with some physical activity I will be able to branch out into other things.
>>
>Waiting for open Pyra
>hoping it will rekindle my love for games
>hoping I'd actually be motivated enough to dev for it
>tfw you know you will only play on it instead
>tfw missed the pre-order
>>
>>26618359
>tfw ADHD
>>
File: firewatch-2.jpg (960 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
firewatch-2.jpg
960 KB, 3000x1688
I just play short and easy games, like Life Is Strange and Firewatch.
>>
I haven't really played video games for a few years. I never really liked the gameplay portion of them much so it was just natural to drift away.

I tried playing a bit of Dragon Age but got bored after about 4 hours.

But if you want to count VNs where you don't even make choices as games, then I've technically been playing Higurashi regularly.
>>
I've been playing BnS lately but I'm losing my interest in everything. I'm just bad at everything that I'm supposed to be good at. It's killing my drive honestly
>>
It's because modern games are SHIT.

It's like how when you go back to movies made between 1940 to 2000, when movies were made for their subject matter.

Post 2000, movies development skips the middle guy and they pour money into making the movie appealing instead of making a good movie about x thing.

Post 2010, they don't make good games, they make games that sell well by going 20% dev money, 80% marketing.

Anyone who says 'wah wah nostalgiafag' can go suck dicks. This is just the natural evolution of capitalism. Instead of producing useful products that sell based on that merit - it is less risky and more efficient to directly purchase appeal via marketing while delivering a shit product.
>>
>>26618672
Movies peaked during the brief period after the silent era and before the code took over

Also they went to shit in the 80s as shitty sequels began to dominate and ambitious directors were all but driven out of the high budget realm.
>>
Have you tried the Nanashi no Game games?

They're brilliant.

And if you like old-school RPGs, I can highly recommend the Etrian Odyssey games.

My main console is my DS. I think the DS is the greatest console ever since the SNES era.

But I'm a "nostalgia" guy so whatever I guess. But I just can't get interested in modern games.

Haven't played even a single game released within the last 5 years.
>>
>>26618727
>My main console is my DS. I think the DS is the greatest console ever since the SNES era.
fistbump. i can trust your judgement. top 5 NDS games? any i missed?
>>
>>26618672
Producing good games is also quite counter-productive. For everyone.

The Arkham series, for example, meant the end of easy to sell super hero games. People noticed that super hero games didn't have to suck balls, and now that was no longer acceptable. Lots of easy money down the drain simply because Rocksteady didn't want to conform.

Raising the bar is the last thing they'd ever do. It's probably the reason why EA keeps buying developers who are starting to get good and then destroy and discard them. They are making sure the bar is still low enough for profits to be high and easy.
>>
Hey, anons, I see some of you are looking for fun stuff to do.

Try some of these if you haven't already:

>surfing or surfing-for-cucks (bodyboarding)
>rock climbing
>woodworking (find a woodworking guild/shed/whatevertheywanttocallit near you - quite cheap to join)
>hiking. not just walking on some shitty walking path. find a nice area you want to explore, plot a course, pack a map, compass, food, emergency supplies and go
>skateboarding. go to a skatepark at non-normie hours if you don't want people to be there
>learn a marketable skill. coding is a good choice as it's useful in many fields.
>reading
>board games or DnD-esque games. find people in your area via a website like meetup. most people aren't so bad
>reading. i don't mean reading dank memes on r9k. pick up some decent fiction or non-fiction

About a bajillion others.
>>
I had all the major consoles up to ps2, and then... just stopped.
>>
VR will save us, famalam
>>
>>26618826
>woodworking
I have a forest and this shit is just exhausting. So much to do, such heavy labour. Even the easy parts like clearing birch gets hard because you gotta lug around a big sawblade and motor. In heat while wearing safety gear (as to not void insurance).

I don't think I'd ever do that for fun.
>>
>>26618727
The most recent game I own is Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, which was released back in October 2014. Nothing on the horizon I am looking forward to.
>>
File: mosaic.jpg (614 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
mosaic.jpg
614 KB, 920x920
Instead of working on my backlog I keep replaying my favorite games.

The only game in recent memory that I somewhat enjoyed was Bloodborne.
>>
>>26618828
Last home console I got was the Wii. The freaking Wii, and I mostly got past games on it (off the Virtual Console). I only got 10 or so actual games for the Wii.
>>
I stopped gaming when I discovered Magic: the Gathering
>>
Play some Yakuza.
>>
File: 111holo.jpg (91 KB, 564x1305) Image search: [Google]
111holo.jpg
91 KB, 564x1305
I used to OP. But sometimes great and fun games come out

Get Bravely Default and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon OP. They are alot of fun, you won't regret it
>>
>>26619509
No PS3/PS4

>>26619553
Tried the demos. Wasn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
RuneScape is and has been dead, even OSRS is dead.
>>
>have a 3ds with gateway on for unlimited free games
>only use it when I'm not busy at work

>play battelfront with a friend of 8 years on xbl for some fun
>play gears 3 on my own for fun.

That's pretty much all I play. I've had consoles as old as the commodore 64 and I think I'm finally losing interest in games. I saw it happen to my brother and it made me sad a bit and it's happening to me.
>>
Me, I am tired of all video games, and they give me no excitement. Nothing really gives me excitement anymore, but I never noticed myself being happy (fake illusion) with anything.
>>
File: gamers.png (346 KB, 768x1677) Image search: [Google]
gamers.png
346 KB, 768x1677
It is better that way OP or you end up like this (picture related).
>>
>>26620136
Exactly, be a good goy and get out there earning shekels for your overlords instead.
>>
>>26620270
Nobody stated to go and be a wage slave.
>>
>>26620270
>earning shekels for your overlords instead.

You're doing the same for your "game developers" who could give a shit about you (they only like your money). Keep being a pawn.
>>
>>26618030

new games are decieving, they have awesome graphics but are just recycled trash with a different skin,

i've gone back in time playing all the games i had missed out on due to playing mmos for 10 years
>>
>>26618368
>In the past, games were a smaller industry, so when devs developed things they had a lot more freedom and you could actually feel, while playing, "wow, they really cared about this part".

>so much this
>>
>>26618672

i haven't paid for a single game in 10 years, i just pirate shit now, and play older games lol
>>
also i'm playing call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth

having fun, but i guess ill complete it soon then be bored again
>>
>>26618030
yeah i have. i've got over 1.5k hours in a couple of older games (l4d, chivalry) but after their comp scenes died i just lost interest and didnt move on to anything else.

now i spend most of the time i would have been gaming on either playing online poker or streaming tv series/movies. can't say i miss it that much though.
>>
>>26620136

this got me right in the feels :(

i wasted a tonne of time on anarchy online, dungeons and dragons online and lotro, only to then find out how people are cheating FUCKING HARDCORE, not just duping but some people had like a bag with all the items in the game stacked up 10k times, wtf?

like there were corrupt devs

i saw this, it's not just 'suspecting' i was with them and benefited from their cheating, (althought it made me quit the games in disgust)
>>
>>26620681

also the 'main' people in each mmo, who had the biggest guilds that 'hosted' all the raids / controlled the games pve and raids

were massive ASSHOLES, fat ugly beta boys playing their female chars, who would HARDCORE white knight any stupid slut that was on the game and spoke on voice chat

i saw so many beta cucks on anarchy online who basically built a roastie whores character for her lol
>>
My primary gaming console nowadays is the 3DS. However, this will probably be my final year playing it extensively. It will probably have a few more notable releases in 2017 though.
>>
Just start lifting heavy shit
>>
>>26618030
It's not that you're losing interest in gaming its that the games coming out either suck or have no replay potential.

For me I usually and binging on League of Legends or actually playing other games.
I feel guilty because my backlog ain't getting shorter when I play 10 hours of league.
>>
this year so far i played undertale, plague knight and the first ace attonery
i would say videogames are and will always be enjoyable to me, only in smaller dosis.
But thats ok, there wasnt a single year were more than 4 good games came out and im done wasting entire weekends on bad ones
>>
>>26618030
Me too anon. That's why i stick whit retrogaming, expecially rpg.But i have to admit that nothing can keep me busy for months like the good old days...At max like 2 weeks if it's a very long and good game, but after that i lose interest and i don't even want to finish the game multiple times like i usually did back in the days.
>>
File: 1455688544308.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1455688544308.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
>tfw you think this is happening to you
>tfw that one special game comes along and manages to completely revitalize your interest in the hobby
God bless you, Bayonetta 2
>>
>>26621593

you just listed 3 trash games

gg
>>
I've dropped it all except for csgo.
At least I'm like top .5% at it
>>
already quit gaming while having 80+ stream games that I've never played, a PS3 that I've played one game on, and a Vita that I've played one game on.
>>
>>26618030
Thank god I'm not

I'm not into newer games too, most of the games I play are 2005-2012 and feels great to have plenty of vydia in my Steam, at least helps me to cope with sadness
>>
>last console I "legitimately" played was PS2
>brother was the console whore
>when he left, I never played consoles again
>moved on to PC
>played less than like 50 mainstream games to "completion" over a decade
>so many games are just absolute trash repetitive timesinks or are boring and dull normalfag interactive movies
>thought it might be just me, even though I'm sure games are shit
>get Postal 2: Paradise Lost
>burn through that shit, super fun
>it's not me, games are actually turning to shit
I think what I hate more is how Autistic the gaming "scene" is now, mostly due to the hyperabundance of children. With a game like Team Fortress 2, ok, the children can be bad, but many are trying, and the game works like that, you cooperate.

With craft-types, they're just so shit. Terraria at least has scaling, and a good amount of it. You have to have some knowledge of what you want to excel (i.e. certain things are only from certain biomes, you need to fight bosses in effective ways). Then you get to like, Minecraft or Seven Days to Die and they're just absolute trash. Ironically, as shit as Minecraft is, there's at least an "end-game" and you can be done. With most of these crafting games, there's nothing. Seven Days to Die is such absolute shit, I seriously have something fucked in my brain beyond repair for trying to get fun out of it for thirty hours. It's complete garbage, but you look at the reviews and you'd think it'd be fine. I literally would have bugs that meant I had to erase my character, that existed for months, and kids still rate the game A+++
>>
One thing I don't like is how gaming has gotten faggy. Just look at NeoGAF and how SJWs have taken over Western RPGs.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.