[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was pre-9/11 America like, /r9k/? >inb4 underage. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
What was pre-9/11 America like, /r9k/?

>inb4 underage. I'm 18
>inb4 two towers more
>>
>>26611649
PS2 hype was real. School didn't totally suck ass for me yet. That's about all I remember.
>>
not american, but pre 9/11 world is very hard to describe. It's more of a feeling than anything.
>>
America was great
>>
Not much different. I didn't even know that it happened when it happened.
>>
>18 year olds no longer know what the feeling of true hope and optimism for the future feels like

welcome to life 2.0
>>
File: nintendo-power.jpg (88 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-power.jpg
88 KB, 500x493
>>26611649
30 year old here, I'm Canadian but we listen to American music and watch American TV shows and wear American (made in China) clothes and eat American food and visit American websites, so we may as well be American.

Besides the airport security and sudden interest in bombing brown people, there actually wasn't much of a difference in the pre-9/11 and post-9/11 world that was actually cause by 9/11.

I can tell you all about the mid-late 90s, everything back then was much edgier, if only in a corporate sort of way. You had shit like Rage Against The Machine and Korn that played on top 40 pop radio, mascots for food were all "cool" and wore sunglasses and backwards baseball caps, WWE (WWF) wrestling was full of crazy shit in its storylines (Satanic cults and kidnappings, 80 year old women getting pregnant, incest, WAY more racism, a whole team whose slogan was "suck it", etc.) and people were setting themselves on fire and jumping on barbed wire, the UFC was still a almost-no-rules bloodpsort that was held in tiny arenas, rap and hip-hop were more about being gangsters than talking about shorty's booty and going to the club, Marilyn manson was mainstream, etc.
>>
>>26611649
My mom would take me to the airport right up to the gate and watch airplanes take off. Also flying didn't suck ass.
>>
>>26611820
oh you just reminded me of how so many movies and TV shows with a romantic plot or subplut would have the girl getting on a place to leave everything forever and then the guy would effortlessly run past all of security to suck her dick.
>>
>>26611649
Innocent. It felt like nothing could touch us. Even people who weren't super patriotic just blindly assumed that America would always be on top and nothing bad would ever happen. Most Americans felt safe ignoring what was going on in the rest of the world; that's why 9/11 was so shocking and traumatic. The two biggest news stories that whole summer were shark attacks, and some Congressman's mistress who went missing. Seriously.
>>
>>26611649
It was a better time. It wasn't perfect and there were still shitty things about it, but it was much better than now.
>>
>>26611649
>>inb4 underage. I'm 18
You may as well be underaged
>>
>>26611649

40s had a big war that killed much of the white world for nothing. classic movies, and classic country and blues
50s seem pretty good, aside from fear of commies and fear of young punks and their rock and roll
60s seemed okay but too much like the 50s up until Woodstock and hippie revolution
70s seemed okay but tacky colors
80s were great. They should have stopped there.
90s were okay. Too much gangsta shit and flannel though.
>>
It was quite nice actually.

The internet wasnt as popular so I didnt know about the normies like I do now.
I also didnt know about how bad black, hispanic, and gay people were as bad as they are. I live in Maine so we dont see those types much around here.
>>
>>26613012

As for the early 90s, these two TV intros pretty much sum it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzhyrsDOgOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0Lng3mhL4
>>
>>26613109

Shit here's a better one with the Fly Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bhWOga-OEM
>>
>>26611649
Gay like it is now
>>
Pretty much the same, just turned the hate machine from Russians to Arabs.
>>
>>26613289

That started in 1991.
>>
>>26611649
You could walk your loved one to the gate of the plane and wish them farewell, or meet them as soon as they stepped foot onto the terminal.
>>
I remember people were more willing to trust each other. You could leave your doors unlocked in the daytime if you lived in a decent suburb and your neighbors were friendlier.

9/11 and Oklahoma City made us all paranoid and mistrusting.
>>
>>26611649
They constantly said shit like we'd have a manned Mars mission in 2013 and personal robots (a la Honda's) weren't far away. PS2 hype was very real, as per >>26611693. I was on a BA flight as a child in the late '90s and they actually showed me the cockpit.
>>
>>26613434
You can still do that. Just ask the pilots and flight attendants. Source: My dad is a pilot.
>>
>>26613434
yep. got shown the cockpit as a kid. that must have been 1997 or so
>>
>>26613434
Yeah I remember being allowed in the cockpit and being allowed to 'fly the plane' when I was eight or so.
>>
File: 1363653617241.jpg (74 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
1363653617241.jpg
74 KB, 677x782
>>26611649
I remember when the airports didn't even search you

You just got on the plane

Those were better days...
>>
>people born in 1998 are now 18

To answer your question, hating brown people with beards was significantly less prominent. Aside from that, the 90's were truly different than the 2000's when you grew up. Smart phones and ipods weren't a thing, not many hipsters, etc. Aside from Y2K, there wasn't much fear in anybody until 9/11.
>>
I was in 1st grade when 9/11 happened. I remember the school was deserted by lunchtime. My mom picked me up and was crying because my dad is a pilot for US Airways. I didn't understand then but I do now remembering on that day. The gameboy color I had was the shit. I do remember people were more trusting of others and selfless to help.
>>
I'm 29. I don't feel like going into all the nostalgia circle jerk shit, but pre America 9-11 was much less paranoid than it is now. there was still some ridiculous things we got paranoid about, but it's insane how everything seems to be breathing down our collective necks now.

the 90s were all in all a pretty relaxed atmosphere. some things like Rodney king fucked with the atmosphere a bit, but that's very specific stuff. the la riots are like an irrelevant footnote in history at this point.
>>
Because I was a school kid it seems like Columbine had a bigger effect than 9/11
>>
>>26613635
columbine is where I remember everything going to shit. that was pretty much the moment where it all changed imo
>>
>>26613478
Same. I remember around 2000 or so going up with the pilots and seeing the cockpit
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.