[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone used the suicide hotline before? What do they do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 210x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 210x215
Has anyone used the suicide hotline before? What do they do? What am I to expect if I were to call them? Did it help?
I need to know because really feeling it
>>
Yeah, once. They don't know your life story or situation though, so it's hard for them to help. It's far better to have a friend you can rely on to get you through those difficult times. If you don't have that, then go to the hospital or crisis center for a day or two.
>>
>>26600343
Look at it this way

If you don't call them, then you can't say you've tried everything to make yourself better.

Give it a shot anon, any foothold you can get on the climb back up is better than rock bottom.
>>
>>26600343
If you want help then you won't kill yourself.
>>
>>26600410
Are crisis centers expensive?
>>26600427
Ok
>>
Personally, never tried it, saw another thread like this a few weeks/maybe a month ago, everyone saying that if you're american don't do it because you get thrown in the loony bin and apparently get a criminal record for wanting to suicide
>>
File: 1455483755616.jpg (8 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
1455483755616.jpg
8 KB, 205x246
>call suicide hotline
>"lol dude you've seriously never had a gf b4?"
>"haha how do you have 0 friends?"
>"you just gotta talk to people, just b urself, dude."
>>
File: axGqGEY_460s.jpg (41 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
axGqGEY_460s.jpg
41 KB, 460x460
>>26600343
tell us whats on your mind anon, there are lots of like minded people on here that can help you, the 8ch christian board will help you aswell even if you are not religious

just remember that at the end of the day like everything it is you that will have to help yourself, technically suicide is a bad option, it will hurt the people around you and wont allow them to help you, making them feel guilty for your decision, nomatter what your problem it can be solved remember that
>>
>>26600512

They only do that if you're actually dumb enough to say something like, "I've got a gun to my head right now!" or "I've got the noose ready!"
>>
don't hang up or you get v&
>>
>>26600504
No, the idea is that it's a free and less extreme alternative to hospitalization. They may not be as good as hospital staff, but you talk over your issues with someone, and stay for awhile or leave at any time. See what local mental health services are available. They may have something like that in your community.
>>
They don't do anything except ask if you "have a plan" and if you say "yes" the police and ambulance show up at your house and take you to the funny farm. If you say "no", they tell you they need to move on to the next person and hang up.

They're not allowed to give you any advice and their goal is to get you off the phone as soon as humanly possible.
>>
>>26600695
This sounds fucking useless
Furthermore, people who want to kill themselves are not always insane, and I'm sure most suicidal people on r9k aren't actually insane
>>
Called them once before when I was in a bad way. It really didn't help much. She was asking what I was planning to do, if I have a family, ect and it felt like she was reading from a script.

I was pouring my heart out while all I was getting was "oooh" & "rrrrright". It honestly felt like she was just occasionally flicking through a magazine while talking to me.

I don't even know what I was expecting but it had to be something better than being made to feel I was trapped and alone.
>>
Suicide hotlines are a service to inform the police that you need help. That's it. It's an outlet for impulsive normalfag attention seekers to cause a suicide scare without actually killing themselves.

It's not a therapy line. They don't care, they're just doing their job. Nobody that actually wants to die ever calls a suicide hotline because it's obvious that it won't help anything. They just fucking kill themselves.
>>
>>26600862
My sister went to a crisis meeting thing for people who wanted to volunteer once and the people hosting it were people who did it for several years.

They said they rarely get a suicide caller but the odd ones they did get the person on the other end was all alone, scared, and wanted someone to "be with them" while they did it, which they did. Pretty sad really.
>>
There's nothing after death so it sucks, don't do it
>>
That wasn't too bad. Was a nice distraction and made my mood go from a -1/10 to a 2/10. Just talking to someone willing to listen was nice enough
I guess I will see you guys tomorrow
>>
>Disinfo

I used to volunteer for a suicide place. I would take the phones on some evenings. This is how our place worked, I don't know about other places (in Yurop btw) so please take this into consideration; not everywhere is exactly the same, however there are standard laws and rules all of them must abide by. You can usually find a specific place's rules on their website or pamphlet or whatever, and you can ask them what EXACTLY their policy is on confidentiality and when they are legally allowed to break it.

You won't get v& UNLESS they get your name, address, AND A VERY CLEAR (I cannot stress this enough) impression that you are going to commit suicide as soon as you hang up, or soon. By very clear, I mean "I am going to commit suicide when I hang up". The questions "Are you suicidal" and "Are you going to commit suicide now" are very different. EVEN THEN, I know for a fact that places like Samaritans will NOT try convince you to not kill yourself, their volunteers are obliged to support you in any decision you make.

It's fine to just talk to them. It doesn't have to be a big emotional thing where dramatic epiphanies occur, you can talk about the weather and that's totally fine.
>>
I once called to ask if they thought my voice was squeaky. they told me to ask someone else, couldn't even tell me it's not -_-
>>
well fuck me the effects wearing off already
what a waste of time
>>
>>26600661
what if the closest one is 40 miles away. is it still worth it.
is driving in a state like this okay
>>
>>26601720
Many fall in the face of depression, but not this one...not today.
>>
>>26604274
well...
>>26601720
>>26602956
>>26603003
all me
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.