[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you're a May 2016 law graduate >tfw you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: pepetired.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
pepetired.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>tfw you're a May 2016 law graduate
>tfw you're not at an ivy league school
>tfw you'll never be a guy earning 6 figures in your 20s
>tfw you'll be crippled by debt for the next several decades

feels thread guys?
>>
>>26587297
People almost never earn 6 figures in their 20's, including gifted coders and electrical engineers. You'll hit your stride in your 40's, which is the pinnacle of life for men.
>>
>>26587353
first year big law associates earn 160k/year + bonus. But they work 80 hours/week
>>
File: 1441132275606.jpg (12 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1441132275606.jpg
12 KB, 400x267
>>26587353
>You'll hit your stride in your 40's, which is the pinnacle of life for men
Working an office job while supporting a bitchy wife in a boring suburban house is life's peak?

Fuck that shit pham, if that's as good as it gets then just fucking kill me now
>>
I work at walmart.
>>
>>26587406
Imagine working 80 hours a week.

I'd rather be poor and living in a shitty trailer than have to waste THAT much of my life working.
>>
>>26587406

Lol, oil & gas laborers make that much with similar hours
>>
>>26587534
Thats what I tell myself. Most people burn out after 18 months and leave. I just would wanna pay my loans off and go do something fun.

>>26587561
I missed my calling in life, then.

>>26587485
How is it?
>>
>>26587585
It's not bad actually, but obviously I don't make shit. I work around 40 hours a week, 80 hours sounds like hell on earth.
>>
>>26587645
Yeah. part of me is glad i didn't.

Got any cool work stories? It sounds like it at least pays the bills
>>
>tfw its taken you 8 years going to college on and off to graduate this year.
>tfw history major
>tfw shitty gpa due to extreme laziness and failing classes
>tfw just going to do the same shitty minimum wage jobs you could have done out of high school but your parents fell for the college meme and forced you to go.
>tfw no debt but wasted all that money they spent on you.

kill me senpai
>>
I thought of taking the LSAT and going into law but this is my fear OP

I'm not good enough to make to ivy leagues neither rich nor accomplish

What rank school did you go to

What are you doing now?

>tfw chosing degrees when prestige is important :(
>>
>majored in finance
>tfw stupid banks and firms only hire out of special target schools
>went to a normal school
>education just as good and skills just as good but can't even get a job or an internship because I don't have NYU on my resume
>>
File: autisticchildren.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
autisticchildren.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>26587730
least you're not in debt, dog. Im buried in it.

>>26587757
T2. strong regional school. I'm still in school, but I've had some good working gigs; one of which included working for a judge.

>>26587781
Yeah, its bullshit isn't it? You know any contacts that may help?
>>
I'm in my second year as an attorney and during my first I made $115k working at a 5 person boutique firm (not patent either). I even went to a tier 2 school. It's doable senpai, but I acknowledge I lucked out with a unicorn job.
>>
yep, I've heard about the shittiness of law school for years now. It's a tough and demeaning profession. Really the decade to be in law was the 70s or 80s.
>>
>>26587297
>Flunked out of college
Yay me, my dreams came true again.
>>
>>26587839
How the fuck did you swing that? You in an urban area? I'm over here in the midwest.

>>26587863
ha yeah. that would've been so fucking sweet.
>>
>>26587881
I'm in a great lakes state of all places. Struck out at OCI, clerked at a small firm near my school, kept looking for jobs and somehow hit the jackpot. Law review/top 10%/full ride/published/etc. I'm the only person I know who makes my salary without working at a larger firm.
>>
>>26587947
Yeah I bet. I'm not law review or top 10 percent so my chances are a bit more dismal. Chicago's cost of living is horrible too
>>
>>26587971
Chicago is hard to break into, there's like fifteen fucking law schools out there. But again, doable. I have a friend who is out there who didn't graduate from a school in Ilinois, wasn't ranked, wasn't on law review, etc. Have no idea how he got the job.

Shit's mostly being in the right place at the right time, have to put your face out there.
>>
>>26588023
its too late to drop out, as i have half a semester left. lol

yeah, i def agree. the advice i got was to not be discouraged from the rejection letters. I'll get them by the dozens but to keep going. I don't drink alcohol, but sometimes i wish i did lol

You got any more advice? something a bit more practical i can do?
>>
>>26588085
My roommate literally sent out hundreds and hundreds of letters. He personalized each one and finally got a hit. He went through a pretty bad phase whilst unemployed, but that's all it takes: one hit. When I was looking for my current job I spent at least two hours every day combing through postings and applying.

It's hard not to get discouraged. Frankly, we're bred to be pessimistic, which is why so many lawyers drink. However, people will notice if you're hungry, just need to show you're motivated. Also, most firms hire by word of mouth and face recognition, so if you go to networking events you have a better chance of being top of mind. It's awkward, but all lawyers do it so they understand.
>>
>>26587297
Anything less than 8 figures is shit tier.
>>
>>26588734
you shit head troll
>>
>>26587297
>>tfw you're not at an ivy league school
I've heard stories from Ivy League kids who said that the experience is horrible because everyone there is an asshole. Everyone's out to get each other. Also heard it's pretty terrible if you're poor.
>>
>>26588085
iktf bro. I haven't sent out a single application. I'm average rank at a T1 (ranked under 35) decent school in the West Coast. My parents were poor, and I was just thinking today that I don't want to leave this level of society. That means I don't want to work with shitty lawyers with shitty attitudes. I want to work with smart people that are going to change the legal system for the better. But again, I haven't even sent out a single application.
>>
>>26589074
Yeah. I have a few friends that transferred to some ivy league. Whiny brats, it sounds like. Self-entitled pricks, too.

>>26589171
Could always do public interest? What year are you?

And at least you're T1. My school used to be a solid T2 but its dropped in the rankings a bit. I just finished my bar app so ive been beind on applying too
>>
Any Ausfag lawyers here?

I'm thinking about doing post grad law once I finish my degree and you guys are making it seem pretty bleak, so I'm wondering if it's any different in Aus than USA, or if you're still fucked if you don't graduate from one of the top schools.
>>
>>26589444
anything past an American JD is practically useless. a JD is technically a doctoral degree, but it isnt a terminal degree.

I wouldn't say we're screwed if we didnt go a top school here, but its certainly shittier and harder.
>>
Guys how do I determine if going to law school is a bad or good idea

Got my undergraduate, currently just unemployed

Thinking of taking the LSAT

Any advice
>>
>>26589567
i suppose taking the LSAT wouldn't hurt. But i wouldnt recommend law school. If i could, I may choose something else.
>>
>>26587353
???? A lot of my classmates that graduated this winter are making 6 figures. I also have a 90k a year job lined up at epic, so it's certainly common
>>
File: whut.jpg (55 KB, 500x603) Image search: [Google]
whut.jpg
55 KB, 500x603
>tfw you'll never be a guy earning 6 figures in your 20s

We're really supposed to feel sorry for you?

#ohplease
>>
I made six figures all through my twenties.

BA English. State School. Feels good man.
>>
>>26589271
most of the ivy leagues are like that
cornell (agriculture school) and dartmouth kids tend to be pretty cool honestly
>>
>>26589543
So you're pretty much saying that if I get a JD from somewhere that is not USYD I'm fucked?
>>
>>26589681
USYD?
>>
>>26589740
University of Sydney
>>
>>26589271
I'm a 3L too, that's why I like your thread.

Public interest might be a good idea. If I could pick what to do, I'd do bankruptcy or tax. Comfiest practice :3. What kind of law would you practice if you had a choice?

>>26589567
Get some experience in the legal field to see if you like it. Take whatever clerical gig you can get as a feeler.
If you like practice, take the LSAT. The LSAT and your GPA will determine what school you go to and whether you have to pay. Get an idea of what kind of score you need to get on the toplawschools forums. The forum also gives you an idea of the kind of type-A people that apply to law school.

There's no easy answer to your question. You have to find out for yourself.
>>
>>26589444
Law is dead in Aus, anon. Just a heads up. Engineering too.
>>
>>26589925
what degree-requiring job isn't
>>
>>26589925
What makes you say that?

Original comment.
>>
>>26589996
original BUTT SEX
>>
File: 1454559750710.jpg (12 KB, 196x178) Image search: [Google]
1454559750710.jpg
12 KB, 196x178
>>26587297
>almost done with sociology degree for law enforcement career
>intern at local pd
>everyone laughs behind my back about my gyno
I'd be full ottermode if it wasn't for this shit. No matter what else you do, don't let your kids take Paxil. That shit will give you mantits instantly.
>>
>>26590313
i'm sorry anon. is there any way to get rid of bitch tits? Maybe get JACKED?

also, dont cops wear bulletproof jackets? you'll look badass in no time. just make sure you're a good cop.
>>
>>26589974
>>26589996
I just read somewhere there is an over saturation of lawyers (and most other degrees), even more so due to our crappy economy. Heck, you have to pay for internships in Australia.

That was always the next step.
>>
File: bigbuffdude.jpg (80 KB, 849x456) Image search: [Google]
bigbuffdude.jpg
80 KB, 849x456
>>26590313
are you sure thats not the gallons of cum you swallow from sucking cock all day as a sociology major?
>>
>>26590313
Can you elaborate more about how your degree correlates with working in law enforcement?

What job are you looking to get there with that degree?
>>
>>26590379
Breast tissue will always be there unless there's a serious calorie deficit and there is nothing else left to burn. I've already gotten a lot of gains from lifting so I can't cut that hard without losing progress. It's either skeleton mode or surgery.

>>26590481
I always found Nancy Drew books, puzzle computer games, and overall mental strategy to be exciting when I grew up, so I decided on a career about those concepts. Most departments don't care about your degree as long as it's a bachelor's, so the field was just one I was interested in. If anything, it boosted my public speaking skills and gave me a few reasons to lift.
>>
>>26591058
So even someone with a BA could be considered?

What exactly is your role as an intern at the PD?

Where about should I look for more details about these types of jobs?

Sorry for all the questions, but this sounds really interesting.
>>
>>26587410
>you can LITERALLY do only ONE thing in our life
are you retarded?
>>
>>26587353
>electrical engineers
:(
>>
>>26591157
Experience is greater than anything for any job involved with law enforcement. A bachelor's is required, but even a person with mensa-tier intellect will get rejected for a person with a lot of internships and credibility. After all, any job in law enforcement career revolves around decision making with solely your own ethics and experience to weigh.

Interns like me usually stay with detectives to build their knowledge on criminal tactics, or rather the lack of them. The detectives won't show you what they know until they have to use it themselves, which is neat because it's more hands on.

My university security chief was ex-federal so I could ask him for advice anytime. If your university has a criminal justice professor, go to him first to ask questions. Unfortunately I don't have that here, so sociology was the only other corse that relates to it.

Best of luck, anon. The only downside is that anything past a patrol officer is insanely competitive.
>>
>>26591711
I know that to be considered for a detective one needs to hold an undergraduate degree of some sort, but do they also need to have been working as part of the police force as a general officer prior to that?

What you're saying about experience being a huge part of being considered makes this seem like almost a prerequisite.
>>
>>26587410
You reach your professional peak. You're not too young to be considered inexperienced and not too old to be put out to pasture so it's your time to run whatever racket you're in.
>>
>>26592218
It varies from station to station, but most of the time you're going to start as a patrol officer for a few years and work your way up.

That's one of the problems I might face. I hate traffic cops with a genuine passion. I would be bored as fuck just handing out tickets to rich kids with supercars daddy bought them, only for them to constantly ask for my badge number and persuade guilt to try to avoid trouble. If the internships don't get me past that stage, I would usually only "go after" obvious drunk drivers and intentful criminals. I lost my best friend to a drunk driver, so that shit gets me mad easily.

That's my weakness, though. One of the most important things about law enforcement is to inspect and craft, but not to react in the process. For example, most people will puke in disgust if they see a body gutted, but I've built an immunity to react due to growing up in a funeral business.

This is where experience comes to play, especially as a detective. The more shit you see, the better you will be. Unfortunately, this is why some officers and detectives are dead inside and adopt a deathwish if they have nothing else to fall back to.
>>
>>26592806
Sorry to hear about your best friend, that indeed sucks.

That does seem kind of a pain though, even being university educated and having done an internship you would still have to work as a patrol officer for a couple of years.

Then again having the experience of a patrol officer would definitely be invaluable in a role such as being a detective.

Are you at least guaranteed a position as a detective once you have worked as a patrol officer as well as holding a degree?
>>
>>26592925
Nothing can be guaranteed, but it you have an interest and the talent to back it up, you'll be first in line for getting the job if there isn't an opening for you already.

The size of the department matters more than you think it would. Larger cities that can afford to have a surplus of detectives will split them up into specialties.

For example, robbery detectives, homicide detectives, each would be their own separate job. So if you're excellent in robbery and applying for a department in need of homicide detectives, you're out of luck.

With smaller cities, you'll have to be a little diverse in everything, but that's all the more fun in my opinion. That's also where the experience from being a regular patrol cop will come into play. To get more experienced in every crime and how to learn to control and counter it.
>>
>tfw I went to a shitty school to study engineering
> get depressed and have to switch to business
>dislike both subjects and regret studying either
> wish I studied something I was passionate about
>will probably kill myself before getting a job in the business world
> will likely end up failing out

I really feel like I ruined me life with college. It just seems so unsalvageable at this point.
>>
File: 1455874968764.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1455874968764.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>26587297
>you will never again be nothing less than a legend on /r9k/
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.