[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I convince a therapist to give me Prozac/fluoxetine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1454905669758.jpg (136 KB, 1080x1350) Image search: [Google]
1454905669758.jpg
136 KB, 1080x1350
How do I convince a therapist to give me Prozac/fluoxetine?
>>
I literally went to my primary doctor and said hey I wanna die most of the time and he immediately wrote me a prescription for Prozac. It didn't help at all but it's not hard to get
>>
>>26586810

Does it really not do anything?
>>
>>26586785
>walk in
>say "hey"
works every time.
>>
>>26586785
Why the f would you ever want to be put on prozac?
>>
>>26586785
All I did was tell my doctor that I've been depressed for a long time and think medication is necessary. Then you can say you read about "x" antidepressant and would like to try it. They should prescribe it to you at a low dosage and you'll have to work your way to a higher dosage over months.
>>
>>26586852

I also want to die most of the time
>>
>>26586831
I've heard that it helps a lot of people but I've tried 5+ different medications and nothing has helped me so I'm just bitter
>>
>>26586810
The irony being that Prozac actually increases suicidal behavior and ideation

It might be because the people put on the drug are already depressed but still
>>
>>26586785
you don't want it, its a meme drug
>>
>>26586878
>>26586852

Am I stupid? That is the only one I know by name. I thought it would work like any other
>>
>>26586785
I am a sucker for girls with their hair in a bun... wow man this girl is so cute damn
>>
>>26586884
Idk I know it helps some people it really brought my mom back from laying in bed for months
>>
Suck her dick.

Why the fuck isn't this an original comment
>>
>>26586785
You don't want that shit I was on it for a year and felt FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Read the books they give you. CBT really works.
>>
>>26586897
You're not stupid, just do some research and talk to your therapist about the different kinds because he/she could recommend something specific to what's going on with you
>>
Am I wrong about medication being a solution? I thought that would be one of the most effective things. Robots, you're scaring me
>>
>>26586942
I'd use it as a last resort. Like if therapy by itself isn't going to help you, it could be a chemical imbalance so then medication would be your go to solution
>>
>>26586899

I'm sure you probably know, but it's Daisy Ridley just in case
>>
>>26586942
It doesn't fucking work man.Shit did nothing for me, The only solution to depression is suicide
It can get better if you actually pick up hobbies and start fixing what you don't like but it never goes away at least from my experiences
Although I was on an anti-depressant for anxiety because I didn't want my parents knowing I am depressed and suicidal, It's the same shit
>>
>>26586785
I was on Prozac for awhile, never felt a difference. I went to a different psychatitist and got a different anti depressent and man I feel good. This doesn't mean Prozac won't work on you, it's also possible I was given too low of a dosage. The bigger you are the more you need
>>
>>26586785
Therapists can't prescribe medication. See a doctor or a psychiatrist.
>>
>>26587017

But I do have hobbies and I like things, that's not directly the problem. One day I'm doing something and I like it, the next day I'm doing the exact same thing and I hate it. This rotates randomly. I get plenty of exercise and I eat well and sleep enough
>>
>>26586878
It helps if you're a normie and you have an active life full of people. It doesn't help robots.
>>
>>26587045

I'm just either happy or complete shit
>>
>>26587045
Shut up faggot. I don't need you to describe how depression works to me.
What I told you is truth, Medicine won't help and the only solution is suicide or personal growth
>>
>>26587058
what is an active life
>>
>>26587045
Sounds like bipolar or add, don't worry, they have meds for that
>>
File: 1455143917862.jpg (75 KB, 640x447) Image search: [Google]
1455143917862.jpg
75 KB, 640x447
>>26587070

k man
>>
Don't listen to >>26587070

I am on anti depressent and it does help me.
>>
>>26587125
I think what anon is saying is that you shouldn't rely on meds bc personal growth is the BEST way to combat it
>>
I didn't even consider bipolar. I pictured that as more manic
>>
Thanks everybody
>>
File: 234257.jpg (80 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
234257.jpg
80 KB, 600x420
>>26586785
let's talk science senpai

Prozac and most other anti-depressants are serotonin reuptake inhibitors, what does this mean you ask?

well it means that serotonin neurons can not reabsorb serotonin into their cell membranes via the 'serotonin transporter', this means an increase in extracellular serotonin, that can be used by serotonin receptors.

but depression has not been conclusively linked to serotonin levels, in fact, when deprived of serotonin there was very little correlation with depressive symptoms.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7944875
instead, there is now 'believed' to be an indirect effect of SSRI's on neurogenesis, which is now the leading model of depression.
the neurogenesis theory of depression states that the atrophy of certain parts of the brain, most importantly the hippocampus, causes depression. in order to counteract this, you need neurogenesis, or the formation of new neurons.
Neurogenesis is mediated through brain derived neurotrophic factor, which itself is mediated through the NMDA receptor. this in turn can be modified by serotonin neurotransmission.
so the supposed mechanism is now that serotonin effects NMDA, which increases BDNF and alleviates depression. but, it doesn't do this very reliably, and is often on par with placebo.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/
one of the primary effects of SSRI's mechanism is 5ht2a downregulation, 5ht2a is an excitatory serotonin receptor that mediates learning and cognition, through bdnf. This isn't an issue while on the drugs, because you have extra serotonin, but after you get off, you start to lack that excitory element of serotonin.
that's not a good thing

so your best course of action is to take drugs that stimulate glutamate and thus BDNF, many nootropics do this(noopept, racetams), as well NMDA antagonists(ketamine,pcp), which when reactivated after antagonized cause a rapid increase in neurogenesis.
proper diet/exercise and new stimuli also impact neurogenesis
>>
File: 1438479374843.jpg (12 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1438479374843.jpg
12 KB, 255x255
>>26588087
>This faggot thinks he knows more than a doctor
>>
Antidepressants can help but it won't fix your problem. Most of the time the side effects outweighs the positive effects. It only worth it if it's your last solution. People have different reactions to the same molecule. You have to find the medication that works best for you.
>>
>>26586785
I'll give you mine. It makes me sweat too much. And my Lamictal

Who /off their meds/ here?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.