[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw don't want to be nihilistic anymore but can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15
>tfw don't want to be nihilistic anymore but can't find another philosophy that's even slightly appealing

How do I convince myself that life is has meaning?
>>
>>26576794
Buddhism. Buddhism is to nihilism what nihilism is to Christianity and other normie ideologies
>>
File: tmp_7233-14181517289491928619983.jpg (760 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7233-14181517289491928619983.jpg
760 KB, 1600x1063
>>26577080
>Buddhism
Literally a meme religion.
>>
>>26576794
>Or will you perish like a dog

max kek
>>
>>26576794
Skepticism is fun. It's what Mickey does in the picture. It says you can't know anything, so you don't have to worry about the meaningless of life or not because you'll never find out anyways. If you think about it, how DO you know for a fact life has no meaning?
>>26577080
So many normies I've met are Buddhist. It's second top normie religion besides christianity.
>>
>>26577116
>people who do nothing all day long will shit on you for doing nothing for 10 minutes
Just because you can't separate the "muh pineal gland" from the people who actually do it doesn't mean it's bullshit
>>
>don't want
>appealing
>choosing a philosophy as a hobby/fashion accessory
How queer.
>>
>>26576794
Just sit down and relax and watch life flowing around you. Not sure if it count as a philosophy but try it.
>>
>>26576794
Become a relativist. Of course life wouldn't have meaning, because you haven't carved out your own particular meaning yet.
>>
read Evola
>>
File: tmp_7233-tdhmivflnaio-599184484.png (724 KB, 5000x2808) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7233-tdhmivflnaio-599184484.png
724 KB, 5000x2808
>>26577179
Kek, stay mad normie. Not my fault you fell for the Zen meme.
>>
>>26577116
>becoming "aware" of vapid shit like my thoughts
Isn't self-awareness and introspection pretty far from being vapid? The emotions part is hippy shit though.
>>
>>26577175
>So many normies I've met *think they're Buddhist*.
>It's second top normie religion besides christianity.
pic related, omg so normie
>>
>>26577195
>>26577196
This is literally just Buddhism
>>26577224
All Buddhism is is nihilism without the pathetic whining.
>>
File: 1455295831821.jpg (19 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
1455295831821.jpg
19 KB, 367x500
>>26576794

>Robot
>Not agnostic/atheist

kek
>>
>>26577275
I'm probably sure it was Taoism but ok. Beside both have some similarities.
>>
>>26577275
"life flowing around you" is Taoism. Wu wei, nigga.
>>
>>26577313
>>26577331
There's minimal difference in my opinion
>>
there's nothing else to look for, you already discovered the truth
https://youtu.be/5fetSoZFyBw
>>
You wish the acts of chemicals were absurd, Dolan. In reality, there are states and rules of transition between two such states, which the universe follows every time, so the state it is in at any point is causally linked to its initial state.

Unfortunately for that faggot Mickey, the whether you fight or perish like a dog is outside one's control.
>>
>>26577210
Can you recommend books in particular"?
>>
>>26577374
tat tvam asi

you nigger
>>
>>26576794
You can't go back from nihilism. Once you've reached that point, you should just embrace the reality that nothing you do in this life really matters. Do as thou whilst. Why would you want to have such feelings again anyway?
>>
If you're a Nihilist then you have nothing to live for or strive towards so you're fucked.

However you say you have a desire to be done with Nihilism; if true and there are seeds of doubt there then look into yourself and ask 'What do I want?'

If there really is something inside you, a desire, a want etc. then by all means, grasp it. If it comes back empty and there's nothing there then do as you always do - exist and nothing more.
>>
>>26576794
Just start with Aristotle, then read Plato, Kant and Hegel. Afterwards, you can start deciding what philosophy you'd like to follow.
>>
>>26577407
>implying you exist
still on that one, huh?
>>
>the current year, which as it stands is 2 millenniums plus 16 further years
>not being a discordian ontologist

stay crisis'd
>>
>>26577344
I'm not so sure. The Buddhist philosophy is a lot more concept-heavy and offers something to be actively attained. The Taoist philosphy is about appreciating existence, of all things at once, for what it is and simply being a part of that.
>>
>>26577407
If life has no meaning. Create the meaning. This is most likely the solution to nihilism.
>>
File: 1455317086637.jpg (448 KB, 603x1650) Image search: [Google]
1455317086637.jpg
448 KB, 603x1650
original posterino
>>
>>26576794
Absurdism
Its the same, but u imagine that rock guy happy
>>
File: camus.jpg (52 KB, 300x305) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
52 KB, 300x305
>not being into absurdism.
>>
>>26577462
Buddhism is a joke, a carrot on a string, a bunch of things to learn until you realize you don't need it
Taoism tries to teach you that from the beginning.

Westerners are extremely neurotic, so I generally recommend the first one. Plus, when they realize it was all for nothing...
>that feel when
like nothing else man.

Plus Buddhism gives you intellectual ways to express your experience. While it might be impossible to describe, it's fun to try sometimes. Plus it gets lonely not talking about it ever
>>
File: 1455759854482.jpg (34 KB, 400x446) Image search: [Google]
1455759854482.jpg
34 KB, 400x446
Do it for the slight pleasure you receive when your brain is filled with dopamine, if nothing else. It's true that nothing matters, but you can't deny the good feeling you get when you've accomplished something "good" something from your fantasy of life from when you were a child. That's because it's a chemical, it's a drug. Live your life with the selfish intent of filling your own brain with dopamine and serotonin. You'll still die, but you had a taste of what makes people enjoy this place. Like taking a bath in champagne before you shoot yourself, just on a longer timeline. And if you're depressed because of your quality of life know that it's possible the rest of your life will fall in line by itself if you stop focusing on being miserable
>>
>>26577488
>>26577512
I used to lean that way, then did psychedelics and I don't like getting that weird man. Shit gets scary.
>>
>>26577512
camus was a fucking retard
>>
>>26577532
for me it was psyhedelics that made me look into absurism.

its not scary but just so fucking strange. everything is just so weird. embrace the feeling.
>>
File: jesus-5.jpg (294 KB, 1108x788) Image search: [Google]
jesus-5.jpg
294 KB, 1108x788
>>26576794
John 3:16

Accept Christ in your heart and repent of your sins.
>>
>>26577532
absurdism is an acquired taste, but i think it's comforting.
when the universe itself boils down to "it's just a prank bro," not much matters except having a sense of humor about it.
>>
>>26577564
this

It's literally the only way.
>>
>>26576794
If you're depressed, get treated for it. If you have low testosterone, get treated for it. Then, find out what kind of productive things resonate with you (whether that be making art, doing science, getting involved with politics, whatever) then do it, get good at it and excel at it. Seek out challenges and overcome them, create things, build things. Even if you believe that life has no objective meaning, you can give your life subjective meaning and do things that will have far reaching effects that may outlive your own lifespan.
>>
>>26577388
Revolt Against the Modern World
>>
>>26577564
Quentin 3:17

'Is thi sthe Tyra Show or has this turned into Nightcall all of a suddddaah-'

Brrt
>>
>>26577652
>you can delude yourself into believing that anything is worth doing
>dumb yourself down so you can be like me!
>>
>>26577671
I understand that reference.
>>
>>26577562
woooaaahhhh yeah man its just like.....so weird, yaknow?
*smokes weed*
le embrace
embrace
>embrace
every thread
>le embrace
embrace
man.......
yeaaaahhhhh
>>
>>26577562
Incoming blog
>Took 1 drop lsd, assume it was ~100ug.
>Got back to friend of a friend's apartment, he offered another for free.
>friend says yes, I'm hesitant but say yes too, I'm having fun so far
>30 mins later
>this apartment is small as fuck
>why did he invite like 7 more people
>some asian dude tries to convince me he's Pink Floyd
this isn't me tripping, that really happened
>they're just drinking beer and socializing
>people are asking me if they can buy some of my pot brownies
>what is money
>get awful fucking vibes thinking about money, can't put my finger on why
anyway I'll skip to the point
>language starts to unravel in my ears, everyone's speaking gibberish
>my own thoughts start becoming gibberish
>nothing has meaning
>even the concept of meaning becomes gibberish
>fuck
>I had suspicions I died, not sure though
I know that's a pretty low dose, but in my defense my set and setting were horrible, I knew one guy there and everyone else I'd seen once, if that.
I still have moments where I'm like what IS meaning? If the universe is meaningless, how is there meaning in my brain? Shouldn't it all be gibberish? Is this gibberish right now but I just think it's not? What the fuck would that even mean?

>>26577630
>having a sense of humor about it.
probably where I failed
>>
>>26577564
Why would I trust a book written by Jews, that doesn't get much deeper in symbolism than "respect your pops" and that has been shown to have been written from a shallow understanding of everything that, when pointed out, suddenly gets turned into metaphor?

I'll tell you one thing: if there is a god, it's not the kike. Stay good goy though.
>>
>>26577396
Shove your religion up your urethra, arsewipe.
>>
>>26577730
It's better than being miserable.

Fine, then lay in bed and contemplate the end of all things until you die. What do you want?
>>
>>26577794
if i tried to live like you, then I'd be miserable
there's nothing to want
>>
>>26577794
I wish you hadn't responded to him. I wasn't even going to satisfy him with a (You). There's nothing to be gained from engaging with people like that.
>>
>>26577791
>Why would I trust a book written by Jews
Whom do you consider a Jew?

>that doesn't get much deeper in symbolism than "respect your pops"
*tips fedora*
>>
>>26577652
Not OP, but I think you've got the wrong end of the stick in some regard. I'm a nihilist that comes down to it, but that doesn't stop me from doing things I enjoy, some of which happen to be productive. I don't need any deeper meaning in life to do what feels right to me, since I can just go and fucking do it.
>>
>>26577839
All the writers of the old testament, Jesus, and his apostles.

>*tips fedora*
It really is that simple. It doesn't go into anything existential. It's just a projection of family values and other shallow things onto the entirety of the human race, because that is how Jews live.
>>
>>26577827
>There's nothing to be gained from engaging with people like that.
yeah, you're on the right track
>>
>>26577850
I think OP has got the wrong end of the stick himself. Instead of looking for truth, he's shopping for philosophies like he's on Amazon or something. I'm just suggesting some things he can do to give his own life a sense of meaning instead of looking for it in other men's interpretations of life.
>>
>>26577897
I'm temped to say this is pretty accurate. If you want Christianity to get existential you're gonna have to crack open the Nag Hammadi
>>
>>26577897
It's really clear that you haven't actually read the bible. Why comment on it instead of just giving some handwave idgaf reply like everyone else and moving on?
>>
File: KierkegaardDirecteur.jpg (28 KB, 560x444) Image search: [Google]
KierkegaardDirecteur.jpg
28 KB, 560x444
>>26576794
There is such thing as optimistic nihilism, but its generally hard to adopt if you do not already appreciate life.
>>26577469
>Create the meaning.
Meaning has always been subjective. The biological purpose barely drives anyone. We find purpose through desire, passion, moral &/or religious commitment. So in a sense
>>26577474
Nietzsche's writing here can make sense, given you're in accordance with his perspectivalism. This logic may or may not be sound depending on which metaphysical standpoint you adhere to, though let's not forget this argument is partially psychological. I agree that if nothing matters, then it does not matter that nothing matters.
>no truth
Aristotle's Metaphysics may dispel this. There may be such thing as some standard of objectivity.
>>
Absurdist mustard race.
>>
>>26577897
How can Jews be Christian?

>shallow things
lmao

But existentialism is soooo deep.
>dude
>it's, like, all a choice
>such wow
>>
>>26577954
Can you show me a counterexample?
>>
Apatheism is the only acceptable belief system.

>or hinduism
>>
>>26578000
The Book of Ecclesiastes. It's Solomon's (son of King David) writings near the end of his life about the pointlessness of everything he's done with his life that wasn't for God.
>>
>>26577981
Jesus and his apostles were all born and raised in Jewish society, all living with a Jewish frame of reference, and all believing Jesus to be the messiah of the Jewish prophecy.

Are you trying to say that teaching feelings of respect towards your parents and good will towards your neighbour, both generally innate things that you will find in most humans, can be anything but shallow?
>>
>>26576794
I'm a catholic and I feel comfortable with that tbqh.

your nihilistic horseshit won't serve you and neither will atheism.

>things that are based around the denial or void of something = worthless, dead shit that's to be avoided
>things that are based around an actual prophecy or blessing with all sorts of nourishment for the soul = best stuff to submit to and get a beneficial kick out of it too and far more
>>
>>26578148
>I'm surrending to God because I need that to stand the assence of meaninng in life and tfw no gf
literally C U C K not even joking you got no excuses
>>
>>26578123
I guess Muslims are Jews too.

Put down the fedora and pick up a Bible.
>>
>>26577531
People tend to forget that you are still human and therefore you have feelings. These feelings (good or bad) matter to YOU. It doesn't matter if they matter someone else, or if there isn't a long term goal.
>>
>>26576794
we all exist, nothing more.
no need to overthink about things
we exist, and experience our lives, idk what the issue is
>>
File: Schopenhauernil.png (44 KB, 1289x156) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauernil.png
44 KB, 1289x156
>>26578148
The human thought process is rooted in religious concepts. We all have the propensity to want to believe in a god, unless we adhere to cognitive distortion, which is prevalent in this cesspit, i.e
>>26578178
Pursue your curiosity for faith through means of studying several philosophical perspectives, both the believing & the nihilistic, as well as prominent religious texts. This is one of the most important things we should do in life.
>>26578257
Craving for meaning, the human will to persist, our natural inclination towards believing in deities, need for explanation of the universe's creation etc.
>>
>>26578049
Existential questions, fine, but no attempt to answer them. It resigns itself to the prevalent thought at the time and leaves the answers to the book. Obviously, trying to seek new answers in a religion like that is controversial.
>>
I know Alan Watts is normie-tier, but I like him. Enjoy the ride.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3F9uAxRI3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscK2CWEUcQ&index=26
>>
>>26578186
I don't think you have very good reading comprehension.
>>
>>26578308
which ones should I read?
>>
File: Augustine.jpg (111 KB, 559x407) Image search: [Google]
Augustine.jpg
111 KB, 559x407
>>26578592
To broaden perspective in general:
Start with Plato's Allegory of the Cave
Aristotle's "Metaphysics", "De Interpretatione", & "Nicomachean Ethics"
Aquina's Summa Theologica
Kierkegaard's Either/Or
Augustine's Confessiones: Capita Selecta
The Bible
Nietzsche's "Anti-Christ" & "Beyond Good and Evil"
Hobbes's "The Elements of law, Natural and Politic"
>>
File: allegoryb.jpg (108 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
allegoryb.jpg
108 KB, 540x562
>>26578773
I should also include Schopenhauer's "The World as Will and Representation" for learning about the concept of "Wille Zum Leben", which I believe is significant.
>>
>>26578773
>>26578918
alright, thanks. I'll write them down.
>>
File: John.jpg (50 KB, 700x502) Image search: [Google]
John.jpg
50 KB, 700x502
>>26579200
Also, Sartre's "La Nausee", since reading this has rendered my perspective for everyday common objects & sights to be more interesting.
Huxley's "Brave New World" as well, it's Science Fiction, but this is one of my favourite books of all time & somewhat relevant, since it may change your perspective of society, so I'd recommend it.
>>
>>26578346
We're so deep into this shit that we're calling Alan Watts normie tier?
Jesus Christ you people
>>
>>26578346
He's not normie tier. He gets a broad audience because he puts large complex concepts in simple easy to digest words. This is a very difficult thing to do well, he is essentially a teacher.

He also incorporates wisdom from all different religions and ultimately advocates finding your own essential meaning in life.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.