[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is hedonism the only logical lifestyle in a universe without meaning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: satin.jpg (43 KB, 347x500) Image search: [Google]
satin.jpg
43 KB, 347x500
Is hedonism the only logical lifestyle in a universe without meaning?
>>
Yea. That's why robots and stormweenies are such fags. They can't accept that fact.

>muh race
>muh waifu

Be an animal and do whatever you want
>>
free will is an illusion

people always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure
>>
I see nothing wrong with seeking pleasure but I think hedonism implies sex,drugs and booze which might not be what everyone finds pleasurable. I think the only logical lifestyle is doing what makes you happy if anything still does.
>>
Only if you are a retard. Pleasure is the most boring thing out there.
>>
>>26575539
There's no "logical" lifestyle. There's only a lifestyle you decide is logical.
>>
>>26575539
Hedonism will never lead to immortality.
>>
>>26575665
but I've had enough of pain anon.
>>
>>26575698
Whats the purpose of living forever?
>>
Hedonism isn't an option because if you aren't a complete and total mongoloid you'll quickly get bored.
>>
>>26575748
Pain is boring too, not as boring as pleasure tho. The best thing one can is follow your will and form the world after it. Power is the only thing worth pursuing
>>
>>26575763
Because that's the goal. Defeat death, live forever, seed the universe with life and understand everything.
>>
>>26575796
>Because that's the goal
and who told you that? Where is it written?
>>
>>26575874
It's natural. You already know it. You don't need to be told and it doesn't need to be written.
>>
>>26575915
you're making assumptions.
>>
>>26575941
Even if you want to be hedonistic, you know you'd like it more if you could do it forever.
>>
>>26575954
What I want doesn't give meaning to the universe. The point of hedonism is that there is no point so we might as well indulge before we die.
>>
Go read "Studies in Pessimism" by Aurthur Schopenhauer. It'll give you a bit of insight on your questions OP. From my understanding he was 29 when he wrote this so don't take it as some old man's banter that doesn't like the life he sees when he looks back on the picture of his life.

There are long pauses between the chapters the the reader takes but I strongly reading the last chapter which is a small collection of parables that teach a lot of small lessons of human nature.

https://youtu.be/8t9HaH7Iiic
>>
>>26576027
>pessimism, Nietzsche
pretty sure their logical conclusion would be suicide.
>>
>>26575915
Every goal in life can be summed down to coming to the end of something. However man fears the ultimate end which is the physical destruction of the physical body.
>>
The list of things pleasure out of slowly shortens until theres next to nothing left. Hedonism is a very u fulfilling philosophy to go by.
>>
>>26576063
>In my chief work I have explained the only valid reason existing against suicide on the score of mortality. It is this: that suicide thwarts the attainment of the highest moral aim by the fact that, for a real release from this world of misery, it substitutes one that is merely apparent. But from a mistake to a crime is a far cry; and it is as a crime that the clergy of Christendom wish us to regard suicide.

-Schopenhauer
>>
>>26576132
So buddhism? It's not enough to kill yourself to escape suffering, you've got to transcend it.
>>
>>26575539
See nothing good nor rational in hedonism.
Seem like a waste of time. Just do what make you happy I guess.
>>
>>26576195
buddhism is just hedonism for poor people.
Can't afford drugs? Then meditate until you induce a state of euphoria.
>>
>>26575632
>greatest pleasure comes from the fact that I know I'm in control of my own actions
>it's all a lie
>>
>>26576277
>>26576195
So pretty much just waiting out the clock?
>>
>>26576195
No, I think Schopenhauer was saying that you need to be a good guy, and you can't be a good guy when you're a dead guy. Buddhism is just dropping out of nature to attain happiness through boredom.

You ever see those guys who laugh maniacally in the looney bin in movies? That was the buddha.
>>
>>26576317
sounds like it.
Don't want to live but your survival instinct is too strong. So you just sit and shut down your brain.
>>
>>26576354
And whats the purpose of being good?
>>
>>26576369
Makes me a bit angry knowing my own suffering is only prolonged by some leftover instinct that somehow overpowers my own intelligence or knowing that there is nothing at the end of life if I end up living it to a natural death.
>>
No because you can create your own meaning in the society you live in. Only in a highly educated society will people strive to improve society and work together. There is no God required for that. Being hedonistic is bad for society and bad for everyone else. Unfortunately luxury has allowed people who aren't altruistic to breed.
>>
In a life without meaning, everything is a form of hedonism.
>>
File: 1446840292279.jpg (115 KB, 640x609) Image search: [Google]
1446840292279.jpg
115 KB, 640x609
I'll just leave this here for the pessimists in this thread.
>>
>>26576483
>luxury
you mean capitalism. there is no incentive to be altruistic in a capitalistic society and only the most ruthless sociopaths succeed. Therefore, women start selecting for traits that succeed in that environment and guess who they're fucking.
>>
>>26576383
To get bitches to say "oh shiet, anon be all kind and shiet, lets suck his dick nigga"

And I be like "calm down, yall know we wuz kangz ya know"

And they be all like "woah anon lemme see your sceptre"

And I whip out my dick and they're pretty much forced to fuck me now
>>
>>26576492
Sitting in my bedroom alone and depressed for the past year is hedonism? I would much rather be able to join my fellow citizens and have a normie brain and be able to enjoy the pleasures of my American life and always be in a happy mood.
>>
>>26576583
Sorry, I meant every goal is hedonistic.
>>
Asceticism is the only logical choice
>>
>>26575539
>panties under garter belt
JUST
>>
File: robo.jpg (165 KB, 640x484) Image search: [Google]
robo.jpg
165 KB, 640x484
>>26576633
>>26576492
>In a life without meaning, everything is a form of hedonism

what if your meaning is to be hedonistic?
>>
>>26576659
thats the style.
>>
>>26576671
What would that change? If it's a self-assigned meaning, then the real aim is self-satisfaction, which just makes it deferred hedonism.
>>
>>26575786
Look at Ed Mc Edgy over here. Are you meaning to say that wanting power isn't a form of hedonism? Pleasure to be in control, pleasure to be wanted, pleasure to possess. Get out of here.
>>
>>26575539
Hedonism is the only logical lifestyle for those of us who fall in or below the standard deviation in our IQ score. That's because we are the plebeians, the lesser men who cannot understand the world around us by virtue of our undistinguished ancestry and poor breeding.
>>
File: having_a_warlock_friend_on_btag.png (400 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
having_a_warlock_friend_on_btag.png
400 KB, 1920x1080
>be occult fag in late highschool/early college
>after many rituals, reading books, and meditation finally realize that there are no super natural forces in the universe that can help me live a better life.

Why can't Christianity be real and all I need to gain access to the kingdom of God is to submit myself to faith according to the new testament.
>>
>>26575915
Natural?? Name one place in nature were you see immortality
>>
>>26576814
It sucks when you have to accept that there are no supernatural forces. That there is no magic. That the universe we live in is purely physical and mundane.
>>
>>26576825
That one thing in the ocean that restores itself to a juvenlie state over and over again.
>>
File: success.jpg (82 KB, 390x536) Image search: [Google]
success.jpg
82 KB, 390x536
>>26576808
You're saying powerful men aren't
hedonistic?
>>
>>26576808
>in or below the standard deviation
That's not correct.
>>
>>26576873
I'm not sure. With smart-and-thus-successful people, everything's a power play of some sort. Their entire life is etiquette. If they take a lover, it's probably just to show their peers how virile and capable of transcending middle class morality they are.
>>
>>26575539
Suicide is the most rational life choice in a universe with no meaning, limited pleasure and unlimited pain.

>>26575915
>it's true because I said so
As expected of /r9k/.

>>26576269
That's the logical conclusion of hedonism, idiot.

>>26576808
Power for power's sake is worthless.
Virtue for virtue's sake is worthless.
The only thing that can truly exist for itself is art.

>>26576814
How do you know it is not?

>>26576844
Physicalism is false.
There are numerous logical proofs that can show you that.
>>
>>26576844
>>26576814
Why even ask transcendental questions in a language created by a race of people who are limited to immanent knowledge? When transcendental questions are asked the only thing other than an answer that appears is a contradiction.
>>
>>26577011
>The only thing that can truly exist for itself is art.
Yoko, that you?
>>
>>26576884
Normal distribution then. Fuck do I know about math. I just underscored my own point that my intelligence is average or below, so I'm making no excuses.
>>
>>26577063
No, this is unrelated to intelligence.
You're uneducated.

But you're also stupid as evidenced by your statements.

>>26577054
The idea that art exists for arts sake is from the 19th century.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.