[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any recommendations for a better ISP in the New York State area?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: walled garden 1.png (36 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
walled garden 1.png
36 KB, 1366x768
Any recommendations for a better ISP in the New York State area?

Or any recommendations on how to get around this issue so I don't have to deal with it?

I use the internet normally and I get a message like this. The last time I got a message like this it was thru the mail for using Napster in the 1990's. You might as well block and have the cops raid and shutdown Google and YouTube for "continued receipt of these CAS Alerts". Hypocrites.

I've used this ISP for years. Ever since we stopped using dial-up and started using ethernet and wifi.

I'm not too tech-savvy and never really bothered with "security" too much with people claiming that that stuff is "tinfoil hat". But it seems to be reality now. Backed into a corner. So I have no choice.

Basically you click "agree" and restart it. If this ever happens again my plan is basically to change my MAC Address, and reset my IP Address, modem, and router. Since I apparently have to do this anyway. Again: My 1st time dealing with this.

Are these empty threats? Would they just continue to send notices and nothing would happen? Or would it result in being arrested? I guess I'll find out.

Realistically I'm not expecting any help or resolve with this issue. Everything will probably just remain bad and getting worse. But. I think it's worth a try.

Thank you.
>>
File: walled garden 2.png (43 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
walled garden 2.png
43 KB, 1366x768
oh right /r9k/ requires "original comments"

i remember why i stopped posting here now

i was thinking about when they removed it relatively recently

i'm guessing they brought it back due to that whole federal incident

>delete misopst
>make new post
>You have been muted for 2 seconds, because your comment was not original.

and now my comment is not allowed to be posted so i have to rant about nothing to get it to post but then they complain that you're just spamming so it goes thru when they're the 1's who instated the mechanics in the 1st place
>>
File: walled garden 3.png (42 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
walled garden 3.png
42 KB, 1366x768
walled garden 3.png
>>
File: peerblock1.png (39 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
peerblock1.png
39 KB, 1366x768
I installed "PeerBlock".

Here's a picture.

So you know what's going on.

I also know how much you like pictures and stuff.
>>
File: peerblock2.png (41 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
peerblock2.png
41 KB, 1366x768
And I decided to just check and block everything.
>>
>>26565878

>description in english AND spanish

hahaha holy cucks
>>
File: 1453627220562.gif (1 MB, 368x392) Image search: [Google]
1453627220562.gif
1 MB, 368x392
I have FIOS and it's fine.

I pirate pretty much every single day and have yet to have gotten any notices. I have a full list of shows and games in my torrent program right now in fact.

I've heard of people get arrested or fined for the copyright thing but not many. It depends which company you've pissed off.
>>
>>26565878
They're empty threats. After the 6th time they threaten you, theyre supposed to slow your internet speeds down but that's all bullshit. I've gotten a bunch of them already and nothing happened.
>>
before I got fios a few months ago I had optimum for like 15 years and never got a single notice, you just suck at pirating
>>
>>26566331

before I got a single notice a few months ago I had optimum for like 15 years and never got fios, you just suck at pirating
>>
>>26566007
>>description in english AND spanish
>
>hahaha holy cucks

i know.

i'm extremely tolerant of them.

and this is how they repay me.

by "threaten my people with slavery and death!! "
>>
>>26566159
>I have FIOS and it's fine.
>
>I pirate pretty much every single day and have yet to have gotten any notices. I have a full list of shows and games in my torrent program right now in fact.
>
>I've heard of people get arrested or fined for the copyright thing but not many. It depends which company you've pissed off.

oh.

oh. well it may more so be uploading than downloading i think.

it's stupid. but thank you.
>>
>>26566210
>They're empty threats. After the 6th time they threaten you, theyre supposed to slow your internet speeds down but that's all bullshit. I've gotten a bunch of them already and nothing happened.

oh. well thank you. we'll see. i still don't like my internet being disconnected. or being threatened etc.. so i think i will look into "tor' or other things many helpful anon's and users have recommended so far.

i really appreciate all the help. thank you all very much.
>>
>>26566444
protip, don't fucking use public torrents if you're an amerilard. unless it's shit nobody cares about like weebshit, use whatever ddl option you want (usenet, xdcc, mega, etc.). you could also pay for a vpn if you're really too dumb to use anything besides kat/tpb
>>
>>26566444
this is more of a simplification than not but piracy is a civil crime. this means that yes, it's illegal, and under certain circumstances you might get arrested for it, but you have to be doing some seriously huge amounts of it. the people you hear about getting taken to court and sued for millions of dollars have been sued by the companies they pissed off because the amount they pirated made it worth it to sue them. most of the time they're not going to bother taking you to court over, say, one album you pirated, or one video game, because it's not worth the cost. so as long as you pirate in moderation, you will never have to worry about it.

when your ISP sends you stuff like that, it's empty threats. if they ever actually do cut you off, get a new ISP, but never ever admit to pirating anything. if you don't say anything, they can't do anything to you. if you do say something, they're obligated to report it.
>>
>>26566524
>this is more of a simplification than not but piracy is a civil crime. this means that yes, it's illegal, and under certain circumstances you might get arrested for it, but you have to be doing some seriously huge amounts of it. the people you hear about getting taken to court and sued for millions of dollars have been sued by the companies they pissed off because the amount they pirated made it worth it to sue them. most of the time they're not going to bother taking you to court over, say, one album you pirated, or one video game, because it's not worth the cost. so as long as you pirate in moderation, you will never have to worry about it.
>
>when your ISP sends you stuff like that, it's empty threats. if they ever actually do cut you off, get a new ISP, but never ever admit to pirating anything. if you don't say anything, they can't do anything to you. if you do say something, they're obligated to report it.

whatever i'm doing can be considered moderation. but it is uploading. with "no defense". because i'm not taking the internet seriously. tho everyone else seems to. in addition was expecting to be banned or something. that would have actually been a blessing. instead of having my ip given out, having my isp contacted, and tracking me to "meatspace" becaue they're edgy "fite me irl" hacker kids basically. faggots.

uhhuh. if they do say something, we're obligated to report it. this is why i bomb people. fucking faggots... but thank you.
>>
>>26566493
>protip, don't fucking use public torrents if you're an amerilard. unless it's shit nobody cares about like weebshit, use whatever ddl option you want (usenet, xdcc, mega, etc.). you could also pay for a vpn if you're really too dumb to use anything besides kat/tpb

it may be more than public torrents but more so the internet in general. i thought america was land of the free but apparently not. you'd think it's something no one cares about like weeb shit but it's not. i can't find anything that says how to use usenet without paying, i wanted something more common than xdcc, or mega, etc.. i might as well just pay for another i.p.. i never said i was using that if you're really too dumb to use anything besides kat/tpb.
>>
whatever i'm deleting the thread because i don't want to get stuck in it anyway

thank you
>>
polite sage from here on out

i would recommend everyone else to polite sage so it 404's faster as well

or don't...
>>
>Error: You cannot delete a post this old.

...oh...
>>
>>26566687
you can't get notices unless you're uploading, they don't care about downloaders because they vastly outnumber providers, you torrented something hot and probably kept the client seeding in the background. just don't torrent popular stuff anymore
>>
polite sage

>>26566791
>you can't get notices unless you're uploading, they don't care about downloaders because they vastly outnumber providers, you torrented something hot and probably kept the client seeding in the background. just don't torrent popular stuff anymore

oh. oh. it's not that but it is uploading. it wasn't popular until it was uploaded. probably most popular with those who took it down. i'm gonna do what i can to block things or avoid things but i'm going to continue to use the internet normally as i always have. if i'm unable to do this then i'll probably leave the internet forever. even if there's no 1 left in the alternative. so i'm sorry. i really appreciate all your help. you and everyone. thank you very much.
>>
>>26565878
to be honest around the bronx there is nothing better
and they are honestly better than comcast
>>
polite sage

>>26567424
>to be honest around the bronx there is nothing better
>and they are honestly better than comcast

i guess everything is relative shit then since they're this shit
if they didn't pull this shit then they'd be better

please sage the thread

but thank you
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.