[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone on here explain to me why my brother and sister spend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
File: traveling1.jpg (34 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
traveling1.jpg
34 KB, 400x266
Can someone on here explain to me why my brother and sister spend tens of thousands of dollars every year traveling?

I literally don't see the appeal of this at all? Why would I want to leave the peace, low crime, upper class suburb in the worlds most livable city, to go visit some shitty dangerous foreign country and spend tens of thousands of dollars doing it.

I literally will never understand people who do this.
>>
can be used to brag to others
chances are they are dumb as shit and dont know fuck all about their destination so "interest" can be ruled out
its what normies do, do shit to impress other normies
>>
Can someone on here explain to me why my brother spends tens of thousands of minutes on an anonymous image based internet forum?
>>
>>26550545
Depends on where you go. A good part of europe is safe and legit a cool place to stay at but brasil and other south american countries are shitholes.
>>
>>26550607
Oh here we go, the normalhomosexual comes out of hiding, acting all superior and tough, with what he thinks is a witty remark.

Please just hit the X on the browser. You have absolutely nothing to offer us and you never will. You're a blue piled zombie living a sit-com life because that's all you know.
>>
I might hate going out, but i'm travelling at least for a week each year
I just enjoy knowing more things about other places, and most of the countries are safe to tourists, it's mostly the people that live here that are being fucked over.
>>
>>26550647

I'm a 26 year old KHV who hasn't left his house in 2 months. Where is your ad hominem now?
Unlike you, I have common sense, insight and am not a complete idiot.
>>
>>26550669
You're just making shit up in order to trick anons on here who are real KV's in their mid-late 20s into thinking you're one of them, then spouting your bullshit.
>>
>>26550545
Couldn't tell you their reasons, but I like being in unfamiliar places, surrounded by people I can barely talk to, knowing that I'll never see them again and don't have to keep up appearances.
>>
I can't stand the obsession with travel. Every fucking girl I see on dating sites has 'travel' listed somewhere, in some form, on their profile. Is it really so awful to stay put for a while? It's like some sort of ADD.
>>
>>26550669
>>26550607
Leave you normie piece of shit.
>>
>>26550545
Because spending money on 'experiences' is the absolute best investment you can make.

Sources:
http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/can-money-buy-happiness?page=2
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/buy-experiences/381132/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2013/08/05/want-to-buy-happiness-purchase-an-experience/
http://www.davidwolfe.com/confirmed-people-who-spend-money-on-experiences-instead-of-things-are-much-happier/
http://elitedaily.com/news/world/people-spend-money-experiences-instead-things-much-happier/983208/
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/8-reasons-why-people-who-spend-money-experiences-are-happier.html
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3043858/world-changing-ideas/the-science-of-why-you-should-spend-your-money-on-experiences-not-thing
>>
It's easier to get laid as a foreigner. That's all the appeal.
>>
>>26550669
>i-im one of you guys i swear!!
no fuck off normie
>>
>my brother and sister

robots can't have siblings

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Yeah who wants to go outside and see the world, I'd rather waste my 20's inside playing video games and watching anime. When I'm on my death bed I'll be glad I spent my time on this earth so wisely.
>>
This is why you will die a kissless virgin, OP.
>>
>>26550545
After you travel you can come home and complain on various imageboards and forums with complete abandon and continue to play videogames, watch anime and shitpost because you're "worldly and well-travelled" now your 0/10 would not recommend is world certified and nobody will be able to tell the difference because they were too afraid or indifferent to do it themselves. This also goes for real life. The reason people travel is to have a leg up on others in both social and life achievement hierarchy.

I have nothing against it personally as long as they do something besides simply exist, be degenerate or something similar in another part of the globe. As another anon said its about the experiences so don't book a trip just to shitpost in zimbabwe.
>>
>>26550860
Are you making fun of every human that's lived before air travel existed?

People spend all their lives now days looking for happiness in other places instead of looking in their own backyard.
>>
>>26550545
because they're bored, stupid, uninspired people and mindlessly traveling to tourist districts is the thing they're told to aspire to.
>>
>>26550923
I forgot to mention some people do it to "find themselves" or self improvement challenges or maybe just because their lives are fucked up back home and they want to go somewhere without any outside influence to their thoughts.
>>
Liveleak did a good job of making me never want to travel outside my little bubble of a peaceful country. I've seen what happens in other parts of the world and it ain't pretty.
>>
>>26550936
First of all, there has been long-distance travel since before commercial airlines. Maybe more importantly, for people who weren't especially rich, "seeing the world" was still a concept that existed, it just meant going not as far as it does today.
>>
>>26550545
>Can someone on here explain to me why my brother and sister spend tens of thousands of dollars [insert hobby/activity here]?
>I literally don't see the appeal of this at all? Why would I want to [hobby aspect 1], [aspect 2], [aspect 3], [aspect 4] and [aspect 5].
>I literally will never understand people who do this.

this can be applied to anything. do whatever the shit you want with your income
>>
>>26550545
I understand visiting other cities in the US for events like concerts or conventions, but I don't think I'd have much desire to travel internationally.
>>
File: Positano, Italy.jpg (596 KB, 1250x1000) Image search: [Google]
Positano, Italy.jpg
596 KB, 1250x1000
I personally just think it's fun to experience other cultures, food and people and everything, and some places in the world are just really beautiful and would be amazing to see in real life, there are some really cool and beautiful buildings out there that are fun to visit. I have way more fun travelling than I have sitting on the computer for hours, but I guess it's just preferences. Why do people read? Why do people spend thousands on collecting stuff? Why do people do anything?
>>
>experience other cultures
>other cultures
Lol, like fucking around at tourist attractions in another country actually teaches you anything. Either you travel to fuck randoes or you're doing it just to say you did it.
>>
They do it because they are richer and smarter than you.
>>
>people who travel to drink and party, in western clubs, with their friends
This is something I really don't understand. Just fucking do it at home.
>>
Three reasons: culture, cuisine, and women. I'm a shut-in, but I understand the appeal.
>>
>>26550751
/thread

>blah blah original comment suckmybum
>>
To post SELFIES on their normiebook and normiegram to show how cultured they
>>
because as a species, we're exhausted. we've done everything we can do within the limitations of our own resources and physics.
please explain to me what is left to do and how it can be achieved peacefully? (no conflicts over funding, ownership, etc)

all that's left to do is travel around the entire planet and run in circles inside our sandbox until we get bored, it's pretty pathetic if you think about it, but what else is there.
>>
>>26550751
Or you could spend money on, like actual investments

shit nigga
>>
File: Gira.jpg (347 KB, 1124x1200) Image search: [Google]
Gira.jpg
347 KB, 1124x1200
>>26551577
art/ technology you dunce
>>
>>26551577
>what is left to do
space colonization

the final frontier and sheeet
>>
>>26551610
sand castles inside our sandbox, nice.
you'll get my point probably after 7 more posts of mock argument.
>>
>>26551619
this guy gets it.
and how is that "space colonization" coming along? yeah, perhaps in about 1000 years we'll be able to live on Mars. :)
>>
>>26551626
except they are both infinite portals inside a sandbox
>>
File: 1437830612065.png (264 KB, 408x469) Image search: [Google]
1437830612065.png
264 KB, 408x469
>>26551654
riiiiiiigtttttt.
>>
>>26551642
>this guy gets it.

so what's to get? you're a simpleton who thinks the only thing that matters is physical reality? yeah I get it.

>>26551666
yeah. you're an idiot.
>>
>>26551642
don't be such a pessimist, we're closer than you think

if I were given the option to go on a mission with guaranteed death in space, I would do it
>>
Its like playing a video game in reality. You are in a different world and you walk around in it. Your body, mind changes.
>>
>>26551666
Trips confirm deceit and temptation.
>>
>>26550545
If I could afford it I would travel. Places I'd like to go:
>Japan including Tokyo
>Taiwan
>England
>Mainland western Europe
>Alaskan wilderness
Probably some more. I wish I wasn't poor.
>>
>>26550751
Kek, fucking destroyed
>>
at least they're not wasting their time painting or writing a shitty book like some art-normies do
>>
The power of the traveling meme is undeniable
>>
>>26551654
fuck off back to your containment board, you worthless sack of shit. Nothing you produce will ever be of value.

>infinite portals inside a sandbox
what a retarded normie platitude
>>
>culture
>nature
>food
>sex
>socializing

The reasons are endless. Why so angry, OP?
>>
It's escapism op, you can literally not b jurselv for a while because nobody knows you and you're foreign
>>
>>26550545
So they can get travel pictures to post up on facebook and whatever, so their friends can see how well travelled they are.
And then they can start stories like "oh, and that time I went to Jamaica..." because normies have nothing else to talk about.
>>
>>26550753
only applies to white good looking male tho

And again. White peoples cannot be robot. White normies plz leave
>>
Personally, I find it fun to see in person the things that I've only seen pictures of. Like ancient ruins or coral reefs.
>>
>>26550860
>le death bed maymay
Yeah very convincing. You live your entire life just to remember it when you're old, but not for the enjoying the life itself

Geeee normies mentality is so cucked that they think they live their life just for showing off to other people. Why don't you give your life to other normies instead?
>>
>>26550545
>I literally will never understand people who do this

That's fine, I'm sure there are lots of things you enjoy doing that other groups of people will never understand. People just get enjoyment out of different things, man.
>>
>>26550669
>HAHA JOKES ON YOU IAMA FUCKING LOSER XDDDDDDd

They why do you come with these reddit-tier witty remarks instead of contributing something productive?
>>
>>26550626
You've never been, have you?
>>
It's to look like you have a live on fb/insta.
>>
>>26550923
>to shitepost in Zimbabwe
But anon, getting a rare flag for /pol/ is one of the few legitimate reasons to travel.
>>
>>26550545
People who spend money on experiences, compared to materials, have been proven to be generally more happy.
>>
>>26552462
People with money to spend are generally happier than those without.
>>
>>26552411
That's what I do. I have shitposted on /int/ with probably over 30 flags, including rare ones.
>>
>>26550751
Given that most people who go travelling do so and can enjoy it because they are uninhibited and well adjusted, is it not possible that these statistic just show that happier people travel?
>>
I'm miserable where I am. I only stay indoors because it sucks outside. Why would I NOT want to be anywhere but home???
>>
>>26552533
That's not true
People with money to spend just throw their happiness away.
>>
>>26552832
Why would anywhere be different, you're still you no matter where you are and still suffer from all the same problems.
>>
>>26552842
Maybe. In my view, someone who doesn't have to worry about paying their bills or being able to afford their next meal is more likely to feel happiness, compared to a poor person.
>>
>>26552879
Idk man, I've been to, I think every country in Latin America twice and most islands in the Caribbean. Through this I have been able to see first hand as well as interact with poverty I hadn't wrapped my mind around before and a lot of the people I got a chance to speak to seemed to genuinely be more happy than my friends and family back home
>>
File: image.png (17 KB, 508x505) Image search: [Google]
image.png
17 KB, 508x505
Traveling is honestly very interesting. I've been to Austria and Germany briefly to visit family, but I've stayed in Slovenia(gorgeous place with some really cool history, there was one house in Ljubjana that had bones built into the walls), Slovakia, again nice scenery and I met that whole side of the family which was neat, and Italy which is just Italy. As someone from PA venice was kind of insane to see, but Italy was my least favorite country out of the three.

If you have some interest in history and different cultures then it's worth it IMO
>>
>>26552879
Being rich turns you blind to a lot of the things that can make you happy. Fuck me if I ask a rich person to hang out and all they wanna do is spend, spend, spend, over stuff that doesn't even need to be spent on...they try and buy happiness but whatever they buy doesn't fill the gap I their hearts, so they keep spending. I feel sad for then sometimes.

The poor man is happy when a meal is available to eat. He will eat happily. If the poor man for some reason has a bit of money and decides to spend a bit more on a restaurant that day, he's happier. The rich man feels nothing dining at the same restaurant. The rich guy is throwing that happiness away
>>
Where the fuck do they get that money?
>>
>>26550545
>stop liking what I don't like
I'm going to travel around the world on my no money gipsy style because it beats the fuck out of staring at my wall, or walking around the same city and same park each day.

Then come back to start a job where I can stare at a wall long enough to do it again.
>>
>>26552373
>something productive
like you posting on /r9k/ right now :v]
>>
>>26550626
>trying this hard to be /pol/
>>
>>26552831
It could be but I still think that I'd rather be doing interesting things with interesting people than have things.

I don't need much to be happy. A good phone and laptop, a decent set of clothes and a backpack lets me work and do pretty much everything.
>>
>>26553383
You either don't know rich people and are making this up, or need to get better friends. I am relatively well off, know some wealthy people, and no one does what you described.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.