[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you NEETs take up a STEM major? You can make six
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (155 KB, 1692x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
155 KB, 1692x720
Why don't you NEETs take up a STEM major? You can make six figures right after graduateing.
>muh debt
Pay that shit off quick and you won't have a prolbem.
>>
>>26461643
>falling for the six figure stem meme
>>
>>26461643
>You can make six figures right after graduateing

This is a meme.

When I graduate I will make 60k at most over 35 years if I am lucky it will go up to 80k... maybe

Am a canada fag
>>
Already in a STEM major. Electrical engineering with cybernetics
>>
>>26461643
anon how do to go to an accreddited college, who will give me a loan when i had a .5 gpa in highschool and took 4.5 years to graduate with 4 years of summer school.
>>
>>26461663
I will easily make the Norwegian equivalent of 116.000 USD.
>>
>>26461682

Don't you need to give 50% of that to the tax man ?
>>
>>26461690
Allmost...
>>
>>26461643
I already am. None of the connections that are supposed to exist seem to though. I'm not a tranny or a girl so things have been significantly more difficult despite being a better programmer than the majority of my class.
>>
Because I am a lazy piece of garbage and a college dropout
>>
>>26461643
Because I'm not interested in technology or engineering. I chose to major in philosophy and economics because those were the only two subjects that I genuinely enjoyed. Personally, I find the idea of choosing to do a STEM-degree with the objective of setting yourself up for a future of gratuitous material comfort quite repulsive.
>>
I am. I'm not really interested in it though so finding the motivation to study is hard.
>>
I'm not intelligent or math-inclined. It's an incredibly competitive field. If you're not first, you're last.
>>
>>26461643
Literally meme degrees.
Finance, econ and actuarial science are completely superior
>>
>>26461643
STEMfag here, you're spouting a meme OP that hasn't been true for several years. Right now the market is in a slump, and the entry-level positions are getting overrun with everybody else who has the same degree.

We're also seeing that many positions are asking for graduate school, so you better be ready to go in and study for another 2-3 years.
>>
not intelligent enough for stem and i'm not brainwashed enough to go get some meme liberal arts degree
>>
>>26462204
This. Robots don't like to compete. Security is the only true robot field where you can sit around and do nothing all day.
>>
>6 figures after graduating
HAHAHAHAHAHA RETARDS ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS

>most positions will be filled by the 300 million chinks and poo "I want to be an engineer meme"s who have had a more rigorous education and will work for less
>blacks and women will get jobs over you for diversity even if they arent more qualified
>the rest of the positions will be filled by chad so HR can fuck them during the christmas party

You are fucking retarded if you dont do something like law or language that can only be truly learned by living in the culture.

Im sure that 50k/yr job where you sit in front of a computer all day will be worth it though
>>
File: adtech.jpg (1 MB, 7000x1800) Image search: [Google]
adtech.jpg
1 MB, 7000x1800
Tech bubble's gonna burst soon.
>>
I'm glad i don't live in the USA.
>>
>>26462379
This is hilarious, chinks and Indians beg to get in to American university because they know no one will hire them with foreign degrees
>>
>>26462278
>being a J00
>>
>>26461662
>Canadian
Well there's your problem.

OP is wrong though, most engineers start out between 45 and 90 thousand, and usually top out around 170 thousand, depending on skill and experience and luck (like every other job). You won't get rich but you can definitely live without financial worries in the STEM field, IF you actually like it. If you don't, you're not going to succeed because it's pretty demanding to enter and advance to anywhere worthwhile.

Source: I'm a metallurgist for the auto and aerospace industries. Make around 107k after 3 years in the industry.
>>
>>26461643
>STEMshit is for everyone

you're only talking to a small fraction of somewhat techsavvy people here. do you know that?
>>
>>26461643
>Why don't you NEETs take up a STEM major?

I would be incredibly bored. I was always good at Mathematics and Physics, but my real interest has always been History.
>>
File: 1434499509724.jpg (59 KB, 522x583) Image search: [Google]
1434499509724.jpg
59 KB, 522x583
>masters in mechanical engineering
>40 hour workweek
>90k a year

all this 2 years after graduating
boy oh boy, I sure fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>26462600
Well............... why don't you study history then? Are we talking history of IDEAS or history of EVENTS?
>>
>>26462630
Not him but they're interconnected. Ideas lead to events, and events lead to ideas.
>>
File: Py1tUwy.png (477 KB, 1200x659) Image search: [Google]
Py1tUwy.png
477 KB, 1200x659
>be german
>study computer science
>for free

How does it feel to live in a third world country?
>>
>>26462752
inb4 rapefugees am I right?
>>
>live in Europe
>study electrical engineering
>school literally pays me for stydying
>companies suck my cock, have a fuckton of paid internship offers (ABB, Skoda, Porsche, Siememens)
>will get a high paying job straight out of school (If I don't fuck up and drop out)
>will very probably get to design interesting shit

Yeah, the studying is demanding and there's a lot of math, but it's not really that hard if you put your mind into it and study regularly.

So tell me about STEM being a meme again..
>>
>>26462784
what scandi country are you from felow european?
>>
>>26462859
I study in Prague
>>
I would but I'm crap at math.
>>
>>26462909
so you are czech? I thought it was only in denmark that they pay you to go to uni?
isn't studying as a foreigner in czech rep. hella expensive?
>>
File: StanfordLOGO.gif (12 KB, 351x536) Image search: [Google]
StanfordLOGO.gif
12 KB, 351x536
>implying there aren't engineers here who are also robot salarycucks
>pic related have grad degree from there
>>
>>26462960
Yeah I'm czech. it's not common to get paid for studying, but nobody here wants to study engineering and there is a huge demand for it.. so yeah that's why they pay me
>>
>>26461704
Exactly same here. Even though I get among the best grades I do not have anything else going for me. I just do my work to excellence and beyond but do not attend parties or meetings because I feel uncomfortable with that. Some of the popular dudes and girls in class get everything going for them despite not being the most intelligent. They get grants despite just ok grades, they get well paying student jobs from uni as assistant lecturers or representatives, they get the lecturers' praises and recommendations, they are given all kind of opportunities and more. This is why I strongly believe that being charismatic, socially ept and at least decent looking gives you much more of an advantage in life than a being a few IQ points above that person.

Even in STEM the socially inept is still greatly disadvantaged. You need to have intelligence and more intelligence is always good, but at some point more charisma and social skills are more important for your personal success than more intelligence. You can be as intelligent as you want to be but without the social skills, connections and looks to back that up you might never get the opportunity to let your intelligence shine. You might never be invited to hold that one lecture that presents you to the world.

Getting a PhD grant for example is part effort and results but also getting into research groups, getting to author papers with other people, knowing the right people to recommend you to the PhD comittee, etc. Without those connections your chance of succeeding are much, much lower. That is why some of the most under-appreciated and brilliant minds fall into darkness and only become famous when they are dead. Think about all those brilliant mathematicians who were branded insane or were shunned by the community of intelligentsia. When you look at what is commonly seen as the most brilliant minds you commonly see people with excellent social skills because that is part of what is required for true success.
>>
>>26461835
I did economics its pretty interesting. Theres a shit ton of math that you have to do though. Economics is somewhat saught after as well so youll be in luck.
>>
I'm literally not smart enough to be a STEM major.

You think I wouldn't do it if I fucking could?

Most of us on this board are quite dumb
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.