[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is suicide considered an irrational act?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_o1sm4gBIdi1v70176o1_500.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1sm4gBIdi1v70176o1_500.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
Why is suicide considered an irrational act?
>>
Because it's a cowardly, selfish, and devastating escape from temporary problems.
>>
The vast majority of people, normal or not, cannot fathom why someone would want to end it.

Imagining a life where nothing brings you happiness or any sort of fulfillment just isn't something they can do.
>>
>>26441496
All my favorite meme answers in one shitpost
>>
>>26441474
Because in front of the incertainity after committing suicide, it can be worse than your life is at the time you make the decision of killing yourself. Plus, there is always an "exit door" for your problems in life itself (ex. Send everthing and everyone to hell and have a fresh start, somehow), for most cases. Do you want to kill yourself?
>>
>>26441496
That doesn't even answer the question.

Seflishness is not irrational. The most successful people in society are psychopaths who only pretend to care about other people.

Cowardice is not irrational. Cowardice is the mechanism by which the brain avoids unnecessary risk. Most people brought up in the past few generations would be considered objectively cowardly and it is because industrialization has minimized the level of risk that individual's need to take in order to have functional lives.

>temporary problems

Having dysfunctional psychology is not a temporary problem in the least. In fact many neuroscientists including the illustrious Sam Harris have reasoned that the genetic component in determining a person's psychological makeup is much greater than was thought before. Nurture is increasingly being eclipsed by raw biology and trying to fundamentally fix a fully matured brain will not be brought about by any amount of hours of talk therapy. Of course pharmaceuticals can help but since so little is understood about the mechanism of action in antipsychotic and mood-stabilizing drugs, they aren't likely to act as a magic bullet.
>>
Because it goes against the biological urges to live.
>>
File: 1453962222518.jpg (67 KB, 397x525) Image search: [Google]
1453962222518.jpg
67 KB, 397x525
>>26441496

I love the idea of it being "cowardly". It's just removal of pain. You have to put up with the pain yourself, and others get the benefit of whatever you provide by being alive (companionship, a meal ticket, etc). Why do they deserve to reap the rewards of your eternal suffering?

>suck it up and be a man
>you have to be strong

You get mocked for being weak and alive, and apparently shamed afterward for being weak and dead. You can't fucking win.

The world could use more suicide to be sincere with you kindred. Then again, maybe if the world weren't stacked against certain people they wouldn't feel the need to check out with such regularity.

>inb4 2edgy4me
>>
>>26441474
It's not as far as I'm concerned. I'm a fucking rung bell and the spectre of suicide is always lurking not far from the front of my mind.

I want the meme to end. But not in that way.
>>
>>26442432
Not in what way?
>>
>>26442473
Suicide.

Which unsurprisingly is not an original comment. Hail to the robot.
>>
>>26442490
Why don't you want to commit suicide?
>>
>>26441474
Because the vast majority of suicides are started on impulse. An impulse that is soon regretted in most cases. This is from research I've read on attempted suicides. So more often than not, suicide is as rational as any act performed during a moment of extreme emotion.
>>
>>26442553
but it can easily be rationalized once you realize

>there is no possibility for free will
>survival results in a thermodynamic deficit for the individual
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.