[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best career choice for robros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
Best career choice for robros?
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 117x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 117x125
Writer for a demented webtoon?
>>
Software or graphic design at a small company.
>>
>>26378179
child molester
>>
>>26378179
Self employment / Business Owner - online based

Chances are you have a creative hobby, now learn to make a living off of it by marketing it as a product or service. Maybe both if you can.

>never deal with people you don't want to
>in charge of your hours and pay
>take on people if you want too, pick and choose from the lot
>loads of free time
>never actually feel like you're working
>very good chance you'll become wealthy if you do your research, play your cards right, and play it smart
>>
military

Top kek ayy lmao
>>
>>26378500
Doing nothing with my life has me thinking about the military meme more than I probably should
>>
>>26378179
professional benefits recipient.
>>
>>26378590
Same here. Especially when experience is everything to get a decent job. It seems like the military can get you connections and experience related to whatever you want to do. Plus they help pay for college.
>>
>>26378179
I'm a sysadmin, make 100k, feels good
>>
>>26378179
Depends on the education level
>>
>>26379543
Do you have any advice on getting a help desk job? Seems like always want people with 3 years of experience.
>>
I work for a NYC utility company (local 1-2), with night and Sunday premium pay, and lots of overtime, I make 100k a year easily. I did not go to college.
>>
>>26379707
How did you get into that type of work?
>>
>>26379664
Yeah that's because everyone who has less than 3 years experience is a contractor.

Find a contracting firm and work for them on temporary projects, eventually you'll get hired.

The reason for all of this, is in the late 90's early 2000's IT was full of a bunch of scrubs who had certs and no experience.

Literally people with Cisco certs but nothing else and shit like that, they'd get a job, because those certs were hard to get but be completely fucking useless.

Then there was the whole issue with the microsoft brain dumps and shit like that.

Now getting certs that aren't appropriate to your level are seen as a huge red flag.

So if you have no experience, go get an A+ net+ or security+ or whatever, once you have a few years, go get CCNA or MCSA, once you've been in the field for 6-7 years, get MCSE, LPIC III, advanced vmware or cisco certs.
>>
>>26379664
>>26379832
Also spending any more than 5 years in help desk/desktop support will fuck you and you will never ever get out.

So once you get your job, start really working on moving up and upskilling.
>>
>>26379757
Just like any NYC union job, it's very very hard to get in. They only hire every 10-15 years, so you have to happen to know they're taking applications online. If your lucky enough to catch a posting on the internet (it lasts only a couple of hours since they get literally millions if applications), and your lucky enough to have your resume accepted, you still have to go down town and take a aptitude test and have several interviews. The whole process takes months. You have to have a HS diploma and squeaky clean record and drivers license or else don't even bother.
>>
>>26379880
>they get literally millions if applications
Nope sorry anon that isn't even fucking possible.
>>
>>26379871

fuck I'm so afraid I will never get out of help desk, I have been working in help desk for a little over a year, fuck I'm so afraid
>>
>>26379991
Do you have any certs/degrees?
>>
>>26380014

I have a degree in IT, but no certs as of now, I really should have at least one by now but I can't bring myself to do the studying to get one
>>
>>26380049
>degree in IT

What does that mean?
>>
>>26379832
Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

The only IT experience I have is fixing and building computers for family. Do you think I should put down that experience on my resume? I have my A+ cert but even with that I have trouble getting call backs and in person interviews.
>>
>>26380069

I have a B.S. in Information Technology, with a concentration in networking
>>
I'm an electrician and love my job, so there's that.
>>
>>26379832
>Now getting certs that aren't appropriate to your level are seen as a huge red flag
Why exactly?
>>
>>26379991
What tier are you in? From what I've read online, it's okay to be in help desk for 1-3 years. You just need to keep going up in tiers so you won't look lazy.
>>
>>26380070
Are you going straight for open positions at a company or going to IT pimps?

I could not get a job with no experience at a place that was doing their own hiring. I had to whore myself out to an IT consulting firm (robert half, milestone, GDH, etc) and they got me placed at some really big tech companies for temporary projects, once I had the experience, the jobs started flowing.
>>
>>26380159

I should have specified, I started in one service desk job for about nine months, I left for a better paying one closer to me with benefits, went from contract to a direct hire job

right now I"m doing level 1, but I have been told I'm going to be joining one of the teams that do more windows support and comes with more rights and more responsibilities, so there is that.
>>
>>26380098
What kind of college gives out a degree like that?
>>
>>26380198

its basically a level 2 role in a way, we transfer calls to this team

>>26380204

not a very good one actually, I don't put my college at the top of my resume for a reason
>>
>>26380140
I explain why just a few lines up, did you even read my post?
>>
>>26380216
Yeah there are nearly no worthwhile "IT" degrees. The worst ones do vendor specific stuff.

I have a BS in Business with a concentration in Information Systems.

I used to put my degree at the top of my resume but my experience got stronk so now education goes to the bottom.
>>
>>26380257

same here, no one ever mentions my degree anyway
>>
>>26380273
Yeah. Protip to aspiring IT robots:
In IT Experience > Certs > degree
For hiring managers

However HR looks at:
Degree > Certs > Experience

At the bottom of my resume I have 3 lines under Education & Certifications
BS, Information Systems
MCSE, Server Infrastructure
LPIC II

The entire rest of my resume is projects and skills and experience. If you have home labs set up you can put that under skills that you know. You play around with pfsense? Put it on there. You mess around with Linux? Put the distros you are familiar with.

Also if you want to get into the good shit, learn a scripting language like PERL or Ruby (or powershell) and then pick up shit like puppet, ansible, chef, saltstack. Download and use esx so you are familiar with vcenter.
>>
The other important thing for IT interviews is you need to sound like you know what you are talking about. Start watching training courses so you have a familiarity with all the different TLAs that IT has (a lot).
Linux academy and pluaralsight are both good paid training websites, or you can try to torrent cbt videos.
>>
>>26380384
>>26380450

thanks, all great advice, I need to get more knowledge, I gotta get the fuck out of help desk asap. I'm honestly incredibly bored at my current job, 40+ calls a day, so also stressful, but it pays decently for what it is, $19/hr
>>
>>26380224
Yeah I did. But it sounds more like there is some other reason behind it. Certs have been around for a long time, there is no way they are still useless
>>
>>26380535
Good advice you are throwing ITT, btw. From what I can tell
>>
>>26380535
Certs above your level are a red flag.

So no experience + CCNA, no experience + MCSE and shit like that.

If you have no experience having shitty comptia certs is completely perfect and reasonable.
>>
Business owner, property management. Been doing it for 12 years making 500k. 32 years old. life is awesome
>>
>>26380567
Ah ok that makes me feel better, because im planning on getting a few CompTIA certs before I graduate with a BS in CompSci
>>
File: 1410744905324.png (14 KB, 625x582) Image search: [Google]
1410744905324.png
14 KB, 625x582
I want an apprenticeship so badly, I just want to learn a trade so I can develop some fucking quantifiable skills and make some male friends.

I applied for this apprenticeship in Radio Broadcast and it sounded so cool, the company was in the process of building from scratch a whole bunch of new studio and sound recording rooms. I was eager as fuck and now I keep ringing the place to get in contact with the Director there to follow up on the job but I keep getting blocked by fucking Stacey receptionists who won't put me through to him; they keep telling me he's away at the moment! Fucking bullshit.

I just want a fucking trade.
>>
>>26379664

I've got an interview this afternoon for an IT help desk position, the ad made it seem like some pretty basic shit but what is the employer expecting me to know? I'm fairly comp. savvy but don't have any experience in troubleshooting desu...
>>
>>26380660
I interned on an IT team for a summer, the help desk kind of stuff that I was exposed to did some powershell script execution and software permissions type stuff. There were some occasions where they needed to patch up some executive's email box. There were a lot of problems with proprietary software they dealt with as well.
>>
>>26380660
If you know the company name, look them up on glassdoor to get an idea of what they will ask you.
>>
>>26379880
you are fucking retarded. none of that actually happens. why you lie?
>>
>>26378179
faux finisher here, make absolutely insane money but you really need to enjoy painting and essentially be born good
>>
>>26378179
Pawnbroker so you can get enjoyment out of seeing all the failed normies and single moms try to scrounge every dollar they can.
>>
>>26378179
Accountant.

>don't have to be creative
>do same things and numb your mind at work
>don't have to deal with people
>field is in demand so you don't have to have much going for you, only a degree
>>
>>26380727
Active Directory is one of the most important things to know working desktop support/help desk in an enterprise environment.

The best part is I know windows so well that I can get around with telling everyone that I have no clue how macs work (even though I do).
>>
File: 1454535332552.gif (960 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1454535332552.gif
960 KB, 320x240
Construction worker
You work when you can
You get played enough to live
Slightly later intensive but we can work our fat off that way
Only work for a few hours a day
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.