[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
98fag here. Were the 90s really as good as people say?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12
File: 90s.jpg (20 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
90s.jpg
20 KB, 500x371
98fag here. Were the 90s really as good as people say?
>>
No.

But the plague of smartphones hadn't come yet, so I guess that was a plus.
>>
Early 2000's were better imo. You weren't born at a bad time.
>>
>>26353704
it's about when people agreed to stop spanking their children
only time will tell whether this great experiment will prove successful
>>
>>26353704
Yeah, but only 90s kids remember why.
>>
>tfw barely old enough to post now
>tfw all these so called 'oldfags' have to deal with our newwave faggotry now
>>
File: 1443653284594.png (13 KB, 564x676) Image search: [Google]
1443653284594.png
13 KB, 564x676
>>26353744
>be 98fag
>pretend to be older by reading about 2000s memes on ED
>>
>>26353704

The 90's were alright, but they weren't nearly as good as people seem to remember.

I'm getting really sick of hearing about the 90's, but soon we'll be hearing about how awesome the 00's were. It's just that when people reach their late 20's/early 30's they yearn for the olden days when they were children and responsibility was minimal. They see the 90's as some glorious period of time, when in reality they just wish they were children/teens again.
>>
File: 1454515107012.jpg (50 KB, 640x632) Image search: [Google]
1454515107012.jpg
50 KB, 640x632
>>26353704
94 cunt here.

Not really, I was an outcast then, I am an outcast now. I never liked what the other kids liked (Pokemon, power rangers, cartoons, etc). I was more of a sony ps1, documentary addict for stuff like Blue Planet and Walking with Dinosaurs (back when Discovery used to be good), and computers. I am a fucking wierdo. Just fuck me up anons.
>>
>>26353861

Lol, you were 5 in 1999.

Just admit that you don't remember hardly any of the 90's and gtfo.
>>
Nah the 90's was boring. Only memorable shit was music, wrestling and BBS.

1997-2007 is an unmatched decade though
>>
>>26353891
I was in Kindergarten so I remember a bit of it. That shit was retardedly popular. I even remember being a sperg when they made us do the Kindergartener thing (I was mimicking the aliens from the Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer Game). No wonder no one would be my friend. At least I wasn't special ed. I remember a lot of my past very well because I had a very fucking boring life.
>>
I think so. I miss the fuck out of the 90s. They're just so subjective the reasons that it's hard to explain why though
>>
>>26353971

You remember tiny snippets of pop culture. That's not quite the same as actually living through the decade as a competent human being.
>>
>>26353971
What I can say is that I don't have all that much of an understanding for the 1994-1997 decades for I was too young, When I started school, I was bullied to hell from the very beginning. I never had simblings at the time and Everyone around me at least lived in neighborhoods with other kids. I was the only kid in proximity and relied on TV and video games as a source of entertainment and the occasional party my family would throw for me for my birthdays.

>>26354024
My point is not that I recall everything from the 90s, but from the little bit that I experienced, life was fucking miserable and it still is fucking miserable. Decades don't mean shit to me.
>>
>>26353704
>Were the 90s really as good as people say?
No, they were even better. Man, 90's internet was the best, too. It felt like an unexplored land.
>>
>>26354071

Good god you are a top tier autist.
>>
>>26354176
I know. I wanna die already. My life has been shit for all my time on this earth. My parents were the type to just assume I was only acting autistic. I never got any help and as a result, I suffered all throughout school and suffer today. Its a fucking miracle I am even in college in the first place. But of course you normies wouldn't know a thing or two about suffering and NO. Breaking up with your 5th gf isn't suffering.
>>
File: 1453030821130.gif (152 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1453030821130.gif
152 KB, 400x267
>you will never live in a time without social media shit but with technology ever again
>>
>>26353704
>KOOL-AID & NES ( google it )
>REAL MATH ( google it )
>JACK'S ( google it )
>ARCADES ( google it )
> REN AND STIMPY ( google it )
The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...
>>
late 90s early 00s are the best. people are finally understanding the internet, but only the nerds. no normies. amazing vidya during this time. privacy was still existent. no social media really that controlled everything on the internet. it was amazing time to be alive anons.
>>
>>26354247
Move to North Korea. There is no social media there. Or become a hermit if you can. I want to be one someday.
>>
>>26354250
Who remembers the lords prayer in the morning? None of you diaper wearing tween fucks I bet
>>
>>26354303
I had to do it up until 8th grade. When I finally started high school they dropped that shit entirely.
>>
>>26354324
Due to the jews and muselums infiltrating our culture.
>>
>>26354347
True. But I had classmates that were Jewish and they never had any objections to it and neither than the parents. Even in the Bush Era, morning prayers were the norm.
>>
Absolutely. Don't let any underage ledditor make you think any differently. They're just jealous they weren't part of the best decade to be a kid.
>>
>>26353704

born in 1988.

People born 94 and later don't remember the 90's. They only remember the residual and dying pop culture left over from the 90's.

The only thing more annoying than people seeing the 90's with rose tinted glasses, are people that never actually experienced any of the decade at an age that would have had any meaningful experiences.

I just wish this 90's worship would stop. It's retarded.
>>
>>26354373
It's pressure from left winged libertarians who believe that the ovenfuel and diaperheads shouldn't have to be subjected to religious pressure from our institutions. "Our " institutions...
>>
>>26353840

It's funny because the only things I hear coming out of 90s nostalgia is consumer television and toys, which due to the internet, can become readily available everywhere.
>>
>>26354544
The advances to the hubble space telescope... just one single example.
>>
File: 1393353513352.jpg (15 KB, 300x317) Image search: [Google]
1393353513352.jpg
15 KB, 300x317
>tfw didn't get to experience pre-9/11 america
>>
>>26354544

Sure. The 80's and 90's were really big on consumerism, especially to children. Cartoons were made to sell toys and toys were made to keep cartoons relevant. Everything was collectible, buy this buy that, watch this then buy that for your kids, etc...

Naturally said toys and cartoons are going to remind us of our youth. They were driven into our heads with relentless advertising.
>>
>>26354667
I'm not going to say it was awesome, but it was better.
>>
The 90s were fucking unbearable.

No smartphones, disastrous painful web design, and the worst fashion has ever been. Some of the cartoons were okay. That's about it.
>>
>>26354749
>>26354544
Absolutely true, but at least kids weren't exposed to sex so early and didn't need more than one teacher in a classroom like they do now. I'll take consumerist 90s over unhealthy exposure to internet and sex like we do now.
>>
File: 1391675905234.jpg (27 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1391675905234.jpg
27 KB, 400x300
>>26354798
>disastrous painful web design
Dude, just stop. Fuck the web. If you haven't experienced the raw beauty of bbs and usenet, you haven't lived.
>>
>>26353840
>It's just that when people reach their late 20's/early 30's

>in the 1980s there was 50s nostalgia
>in the 90s it was 60s nostalgia
>00s kinda had 70s nostalgia, i guess
And 80s nostalgia is everywhere nowadays
The 30 year nostalgia gap is real.
>>
90's were great, because you had the internet, but it wasn't as pervasive in people's lives, so you did things with other people more often.

Also, because there were no smartphones, and texting wasn't much of a thing, people tended to make plans and stick to them. You didn't have the stuff like you do today, where people would make 7 different plans on the same night, and then just pick one without really cancelling the others. Everyone was much more considerate of other people's time, and it somewhat forced everyone to be more punctual and less of a flake.

You also had a lot more freedom to make mistakes growing up, because records were rarely digital, and didn't tend to transfer instantly across the country/world. Without social media, you also didn't have to worry about your life getting ruined by salty losers with too much free time, and people with crazy beliefs (like SJWs) were much more fringe, because they didn't have the ability to network with other crazy people outside their local area.

Also, people went outside more, so the shut-ins were real shut-ins, and awkward people tended to have less opportunity to withdraw even further, and more pressure to learn how to get by.
>>
>>26353704
85 here

it was all right, had its pros and cons when weighed against 2016 or the last decade.

Overall though, 2016 is better in almost every possible way.

>>26354250
>google it

yeah, having no internet at home back then unless you were some rich kid really sucked.

If you were a no-friend loser, or robot as the kids call it these days, then that's it. You sat in your room re-reading the same handful of comic books and hopefully watching a couple of good TV shows if one of your parents or siblings didn't already schedule to watch something else on the one TV.

Also

>Ren and Stimpy

a lot of us didn't even have cable and couldn't even watch the most iconic 90s cartoons and TV shows.

Also fuck if finding good music and good video was all but impossible

>>26355534
>because you had the internet,

YOU had the internet. Most of us didn't.
>>
>>26355048
then again you have some people who are like 19 and are nostalgia for the 1950s or 70s or whatever. Le wrong generation and all that
>>
>>26354825
>but at least kids weren't exposed to sex so early

the 90s were the other extreme, I didn't know what a vagina actually looked like until we got the internet at our house in 2002.
>>
>>26355655
>YOU had the internet. Most of us didn't.

Right, which is what made it so great. I didn't have to deal with people like you.
>>
>>26353704

I thought the 90s were a letdown coming off the 80s, but I'm sure some 70sfags will say the same about the 80s. I would still rather live in the 90s than the current decade, if only I could be guaranteed that we skip over the following 2 decades and the tail end of the 90s..
>>
Any time when you were a little kid is god tier. Life gets shitty once you grow up.
>>
>>26354983
Major mud!
>>
people born past 85 are not from the 90s. you fucks are millennials, get over it already.

if being a "90s kid" is so important to define your persona, you better kill yourself now.
>>
>>26356531
"millenial" also includes people born prior to 85, up to the early 80s. There's no real set date as a definition. There's also no reason to be upset.
>>
>>26353861
>didnt like Pokemon
>hated Toy Story
>never heard of ninja turtles
>just watched Eye Witness nature documentaries when I was allowed

Good to see someone else was a contrarian in their childhood too
>>
File: 6zoom.gif (7 KB, 327x151) Image search: [Google]
6zoom.gif
7 KB, 327x151
90s elementary school let us play some cool games
>>
>>26356697
>ywn play pogs again

I still have off-brand Dollar-Store slammers laying around the house. I remember when suddenly all schools everywhere were banning pogs because we played "for keeps" and it was pretty much gambling and it made a bunch of kids cry.
>>
1981 here

School with every kid having a video camera in their pocket must be hell. I'm glad I'm old when I imagine this.
>>
File: Orange New Gen.jpg (359 KB, 1392x846) Image search: [Google]
Orange New Gen.jpg
359 KB, 1392x846
>>26356733
Dont forget Crazy Bones, tho short lived
>>
>>26353704

Yes
>no smartphone aka electronic leash/monitoring device
>plentiful jobs
>booming economy
>cheap housing
>USA truly is most powerful and greatest nation on earth
>pop music a shit, but not quite as shit. Indie music, true fucking classics are being dropped regularly.
>instead of questionable "Molly", good quality pressed E's available
>travel is both within reach and not yet played out as fuck, destinations like SEA not yet overrun with chavs and bogans
>>
>>26356612
stop looking shit up on wikipedia faggot
>>
>>26356764
this, that's like the major plus side of being a 90s kid. You could cry or throw up or shit you pants in school and sure people would laugh at you and remember it for a while but at least it wouldn't be shared with thousands of people online.

On the other hand, if I had a TV, a computer, a Nintendo, a Sega genesis and everything else that a smartphone can be when I was a kid I would be ecstatic. Too bad that kids grew up saturated with technology and the internet and can't appreciate it.
>>
>>26355048

30 year gap is because teens grow up and run the world in their 40s.
>>
>>26356623
>Eye Witness Documentaries
Those were Amazing. I still have the VHS tapes!
They also have a youtube channel too!
https://youtu.be/xAb5ECg3g0M
>>
>>26353704
Early 2000s were the best. Had the best of the 90s with a nice mix of new stuff. Was very short lived though unfortunatly.
>>
>born in 96
>just in time to witness and experience golden years of counter strike 1.6
nothing to live for anymore
>>
>>26353704
think of all the shit online that pisses you off: all the tumblr tards referring to bunselves, all the celebrity tweets, all the online activism, all the online journalism, all the ads, all the spam, all the spying, and now imagine it all never existed.

That's what the 90s were like.
>>
>>26359206
When the fuck did you learn how to use a computer?
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 540x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 540x395
>"yeah man, no technology man. yeah dude so awesome no internet and social media. yeah back in my day we had sticks and Pokemon cards and shit. soooo much better."

How many of you are willing to throw away your phones and computers and really unplug tho? I mean, if it was so much better why haven't you?
>>
Senile fucks with nostalgia filters strapped on tight enough to cut off blood circulation long for their youth, truth is it was a decade barely distinguishable from any of the other decades of that century. In 2030 some old fuck is going to be talking about how amazing the '10's were maaaannn, no fucking hover boards and immortality' just like humans have always done. They rationalize their seniority, they attempt to make it seem like the past was cooler because they know they won't be here to experience the future.
>>
>>26353704
Born 1980 here.

It was a much more simpler and magical time, if you wanted to discover new bands (90's GOAT decade for music), you couldn't just go on the internet, you bought sampler CDs for $2.99 with 35 songs on them.
>>
File: 1454814645741.png (75 KB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
1454814645741.png
75 KB, 325x244
>>26353704
>were the 90's great
They were the greatest era ever. Music, movies and fashion were at their peak. It was the peak of white civilization, before the great decline began in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sb-mdDl9z8
>>
Surprisingly accurate summation ...

https://youtu.be/eyd51lvu3xw
>>
>le 90's kids XD
>le wrong generation XD

they were better in some ways and shittier in other, but the meme is fucking annoying
>>
>>26359530
It's because everyone around us isn't willing to unplug as well.

One person unplugging won't make anything better if he's having a conversation with a girl that's half-listening and half-texting in your face the whole time.
>>
>>26355048
I think this gap has actually become narrower, at least partially. What you said is true, but on the other hand:
>mid-to-late 90s started to have some 70s nostalgia (gap size: only 20 years)
>the 80s nostalgia started in the 00s (20 years)
>in the late 00s and early 10s it was already 90s nostalgia (10-20 years)
>in the mid-10s it's already 00s nostalgia (5 years and less; yes, even late 00s are nostalgized outside /r9k/)
>>
Not really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO_8n5y5edk
>>
>>26353704
the real shit was all that anime
>>
1990 fag here.

Life before MySpace, Facebook, smartphones, 4chan, Leddit, and "terrorism" was bretty gr8.
>>
>98fag

There are people posting on 4chan who were born after:

>starcraft
>escaflowne
>netscape
>I lost my virginity

Boggles the mind.
>>
>>26353704
Yes, because Ultima online came out.
>>
Yes, for the original Sonic games.
>>
>>26359326
Gen Z-ers don't need to learn it. They already know it when they're born.
>>
90s is overrated.

You think out of all the past decades, 90s is the best? No. Its just that theres a bunch of back-in-my-day fags here.
>>
The terorist vs wesr was only in movies or middle east
Eurotrash dance music surplus
1996-1999 was baller
>>
>>26353704
88fag here.
They really were in my opinion. Video games, TV shows, music, toys and movies were maybe better than ever in my opinion (except late 80s and the year 2000 had some great stuff as well, things started to go downhill in 2001 (see >>26359903)). Fashion is probably ridiculous by today's standards, but it was nice to have colors around. The internet was much simpler and less bloated (judging from what little access I had to it). Video games, social media and the internet weren't mainstream and ruined by normies yet. People had less fears (for terrorism, for example). The economy was also better. Kids were kids longer (more childlike and less exposed to sex like >>26354825 said).
>>
I never experienced the full extent of the 90s, but the 90s was probably the last old fashioned decade before the internet revolution. You still had many of the older things like no cell phones and having to agree on a time to meet.
>>
born in 88

90s were great for socially awkward and introverted people - there was a rise of technology and lots of quality entertainment there, i mean it was made by spergs for spergs because corpos didnt yet see how much money there would be to make in such an industry

no social media and smartphones everywhere meant you didnt have to be "networking" all the time so the rift between normalfags and social fuckups wasnt so deep yet

social media really fucked things up. its clear who's an outcast now, its a death sentence
>>
1999-2004 was a pretty good time period
>>
>>26356774
I remember those too. And those tiny finger skateboards.
>>
>>26359206
1.5 was the goat.
>>
>>26353704
1990 fag
> Watched the premier of Pokemon on white people tv, traded with a link cable with my homies who had blue version.
> Alex Mack
> My sister wore biker shorts while not riding a bike, had a pony tail sticking out the back of her hat, and we used to swap cassette tapes
> Got an undercut
> Saved by the Bell
> Savage Garden
> Tazos
> Degrassi Jnr High
> Boy bands like N*SYNC
> I'm blue by Eifle 65
> Here's Johnny
> My friend's Mormon mother freaking out seeing the film clip to Song 2 by Blur
> Tricking my mother into letting me watch South Park season 1 because it was a cartoon but they accidentally put it on at 830pm instead of 830am, until she heard about it and I got in trouble.

That's literally all I can remember right now, except for specifically Australian stuff.

Was Buffy the Vampire Slayer 90s or early 00s?
>>
>>26353704
Rocco's Modern Life (Alta Vista it)
>>
>>26356833
>b-but i was born in 85 i'm not a filthy millennial
Sorry you aren't gen x and never will be
>>
File: 884888556.jpg (16 KB, 230x300) Image search: [Google]
884888556.jpg
16 KB, 230x300
>>26353704
People from 98 are now 18. Anyway atleast it was a time where people were slighlty more allowed to think for themselves.
>>
>>26364145
And make sure you do it on Netscape
>>
>>26364026
>Was Buffy the Vampire Slayer 90s or early 00s?
Both.
>>
>>26353704
>98 fags are legally allowed to browse this website now

fuck
>>
1979 old fag here.

The 90s were like two different decades. 1990-1993 were still like the 80s. 1994-1999 were different, more bland, tame, and boring. Everyone started wearing sloppy and baggy clothing etc. and music also lost it's energy because people weren't doing as much coke as before. That's why the 80s were more upbeat and energetic. 1995-2009 were the most forgettable years ever and it's kind of strange that people could actually romanticize it.

Even the 2010s are cooler than the mid 90s-late 00s period. Pleas take it from someone who actually remembers. The 90s aren't really deserving of this praise and you should try to make the present something to look at fondly one day
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.