[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does an objective reality exist outside of individual experiences?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 300x420
Does an objective reality exist outside of individual experiences?
>>
>>26294489
Almost certainly but not provably.
>>
There is no reason to think so.
>>
Go home Berkeley.
>>
>>26294489
Seems likely, based on my individual experience.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 1280x960
You'll never know, you can't even be sure that the individual exists.
>>
>>26294552
Everything you have ever experienced is by definition within your individual experience.
>>
>>26294489
No, it's just chemicals and nothingness

You are free

Thank me later
>>
>>26294552
What if this is just a really vivid dream? What if you're a bunch of 1's and 0's in some high-tech simulation? Ever watched the movie Avatar? Yeah, it's not the simple.
>>
>>26294594
If there is no difference between a simulated universe and a real one, worrying about whether this one is real is pointless
>>
File: thomas the dank engine.gif (507 KB, 385x400) Image search: [Google]
thomas the dank engine.gif
507 KB, 385x400
individual experiences/steam of train
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
r e a l i t y train
|________| - chugga chugga mofugga
>>
File: image.png (412 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.png
412 KB, 800x800
>>26294618
You're right, it's absurd. So is worrying about death, or why we're here, or if there is or isn't a God, or if we exist. All of it is pointless and illogical, we'll never know for certain. We'll never know anything for certain.
>>
>>26294501
sums it up
>>
>>26294489

If an objective reality did exist, then wouldn't it be almost completely different from what we see? I mean we know that different animals see things in different ways and have other senses. So maybe the world, the REAL world beyond our perception, is completely different?
>>
Objective reality probably exists, but not in any way that lends itself to being experienced.
Like the number 2, you can't experience the number 2 outside of it being a quality of something else, or when it's being used as a symbol
Also, free will is an impossible idea and everything is deterministic
Also, you probably don't exist either
>>
>>26294489
Yes.

Smoke DMT and you'll know. I did it twice and everything pales in comparison.
>>
>>26294736
Why do we need certainty in an action for that action to be worth something? Is it not the process of questioning, and striving for knowledge perhaps even more important than the answer? Does the essence perhaps lie in the journey, rather than the goal?
>>
File: UU.jpg (240 KB, 612x800) Image search: [Google]
UU.jpg
240 KB, 612x800
All is mind all is the self

We are one that appear as many.
>>
"reality" is collectively defined by individual minds in agreement.
>>
>>26296260
No shit
Even ants know this and work as one organism. Homans are the only ones too dumb to realise their true nature
>>
File: fnord.jpg (17 KB, 324x324) Image search: [Google]
fnord.jpg
17 KB, 324x324
Don't succumb to the eternal fnord.
>>
Ofcourse.

When you close your eyes the world still operates regardless of your ability to experience anything.

When go to sleep, the world still exists without you being present to witness anything. This is objective reality.

(C) Bertrand Russell
>>
>>26297042
But it's not 100 % certain. Nothing is certain.
>>
>>26297042
This doesn't make any sense, I don't understand where this idea comes from at all.
>>
Solipsism GTFO
>>
>>26297176
Why do you feel so strongly about it
>>
>>26297188
Its a symptom of a narcissistic mind--which is prevalent in most, if not all, /r9k/ posters.
>>
>>26294489
Define objective reality.
>>
>>26297249
>narcissistic mind--which is prevalent in most, if not all, /r9k/ posters
Top fucking kek

Most of us dislike or hate ourselves.
>>
>>26297249
True on Tumblr that is certainly the case if you look up solipsism or monism. In truth though solipsism should be one of the least egotistical philosophies out there, its the unfolding of the ego. The individual is universal and the universal is the individual. The word "individual" means undivided. Individuality is only possible if it unfolds from wholeness. ... Ego-centeredness is not individuality at all.

Those people are basically bastardizing the concept to work for themselves.
>>
>>26297144
Um, reality?
>>
>>26297360
But I have never experienced anything that can be regarded as separate from my own consciousness, by definition. If it exists and is not part of my consciousness, I can never know about it.
>>
>>26297315
Narcissism means excessive attention to oneself and has relevance to hatred or glorification.

But actually, /r9k/ posters suffer from intense self-glorification, which leads to depression, anxiety, and, consequently, existential despair.
>>
>>26297379
You see proof that the world changes when you don't experience it literally every time you go to bed, don't be that faggot who can't infer the obvious reason behind why we experience what we do.
>>
>>26297494
Sure it changes, but that change is only made real when I experience it.

I can make inferences about what caused the change based on my other experiences, but it doesn't change the fact I didn't experience it.

No reason to think change is indicative of a reality independent from the self

>>26297322
This is a good way to look at it, the self is universal and vice-versa, only in a societal sense is it egotistic, but it shouldn't be unless you make unfounded conclusions
>>
No. Why would there be?

We all create our own reality so whos reality should be called objectively right?
>>
>>26297583
Each of our reality is just a different part of the whole, just as your reality it this moment is different from your reality last night. We are literally all the same consciousness experiencing things separately. No different than each individual experiencing his life as a flow of different moments like frames on a monitor
>>
>>26297544
It doesn't matter if you experienced it or not, that's literally the point he was trying to make, the change still obviously occurred and you are intelligent enough to notice it. Just because your experiences are objective does not make them invalid, there is no need to second guess the foundations of what we know as reality, one of which is that it obviously exists to us.
>>
File: 1416055588238.png (137 KB, 711x879) Image search: [Google]
1416055588238.png
137 KB, 711x879
>>26296282
post yfw you realized reality was democratic
>>
File: 1449072353318.jpg (126 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
1449072353318.jpg
126 KB, 480x608
>>26296307
Idk, I've seem more and more people discovering this. From the psychedelic community getting less esoteric, to eastern and western philosophies coming together, to a more interconnected populous, people are waking up. The cosmic giggle approaches.
>>
>>26297381
Lmao, finally someone says what I've been thinking for a while.
>>
>>26297715
>everything from political ideologies to scientific facts are literally just the amalgamation of different realities reaching similar conclusions
>people still think a world where all humans have become one united hivemind is a bad idea

I want to become another neuron in the Earth's pseudo-mind already. SINGULARITY WHEN?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.