[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm going to quit society. i'm going to save up money
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: mccandless.jpg (138 KB, 790x513) Image search: [Google]
mccandless.jpg
138 KB, 790x513
i'm going to quit society.

i'm going to save up money to buy basic things needed to survive and hitchhike all over the world.
the next year i will do as much research as possible on how to live off the land, and i'm going to do it.
i will either live a happy life in the wild, isolated from the world, or i will die from starvation. both are better than living in this society.

i don't want to be part of this. i want out.
>>
>>26269562
godspeed bro sounds like a noble goal
>>
>>26269562
I don't know why he gets so much hate. His story was an amazing character study and it's not like he really hurt anyone other than himself. He obviously had major mental issues
>>
>>26269562
If you're really going to do it then I admire your bravery. Prepare yourself very thoroughly anon.
>>
>>26269562
If Chris can do it so can you!
>>
>>26269562
Hitch hiking is NOT an introverted task

Just get neet bux
>>
>>26269562
You know that guy died a slow and painful death.After he ate some poisonous plants living the /K/ dream.
>>
>>26269612
>He obviously had major mental issues
why would you think this? if you want to live the life you want to live, instead of mindlessly doing what everybody else is doing, does that mean you have mental issues? that's ridiculous.
>>
I really hope that you're serious and plan on going through with it. Keep us updated if you changed your mind.

If not, please try to set up a website or something to document stuff, if you have the possibility to do so (maybe take a laptop and log on to free wifi spots if you every visit a city).

Good luck.
>>
>>26269709
i know. he made a mistake and that's why he died. he also did this in an extremely rough environment.

there are tons of people that quit society and live off the land for years if not decades. it's totally doable if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>26269709
He didn't die from poison, he starved to death because the idiot didn't have a clue what he was doing.
>>
ITT: People who watched Into The Wild one too many times
>>
>>26269783
He ate a poisonous plant because he ran out of rice then subsequently died.
>>
Youre gonna die
Youd probably be better off living out of a car
>>
File: Richard_Proenneke.jpg (30 KB, 213x312) Image search: [Google]
Richard_Proenneke.jpg
30 KB, 213x312
>>26269761
Bullshit, I consider Richard Proenneke one of the best (if not the best) survivalist from the past century and even he still had to get supplies from civilization from time to time.
>>
another man who quit society in a more degenerate way.

he lived in the woods of maine for 27 years stealing food from people.
>>
>>26269813
And no copies watched seemed to include that "happiness is only real when shared" bit.
>>
>>26269783
>>26269824
The second anon is right. The leading theory is he ate a part of a plant that quickly paralyzes the legs in young males (oddly enough, only young males) and it occurs faster in people with lower body fat.
The plant was relatively unknown to be poison at the time and it looked very similar to a common edible plant in the area.

I hate the fag but at least know the facts.
>>
>>26269710
His sister wrote a book about how he developed mental issues from a physically abusive father when he was a child
>>
>>26269562
Interesting. Similar discussion happened two or so days ago about somebody with schizophrenia disbanding to live homeless under Cynic philosophy. I, for one, live on disability in government housing, personally. I do wish you luck though, brobot.
>>
Darwin ensues.
>>
>>26269884
then why do i feel truly happy when i'm alone for long periods of time?

some people enjoy solitude more than others. mccandless isn't that type of person. he quit because of multiple things including his home situation.

>>26269905
it's almost as if you're saying he quit because he had mental issues. that's not true.
>>
>>26270034
I didn't say that. I just said that the person he was closest to in the family said he definitely did have psychological issues.
I have no idea why he made his decisions. Nobody ever will since it doesn't expand on that in his book, the person who might know already wrote a book about it that I believe did not mention that, and he's dead.
>>
>>26269813
that story inspired me alot. that's why i used a pic of him in the OP. thanks for pointing that out!
>>
>>26269863
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFp8ldcTx4
and that's just one person who has been found.
>>
>>26270053
so his sister, who is part of society and obviously finds it strange when someone quits society, and not a psychologist, said he has psychological issues?
well yes his home situation didn't do him any good but in your first post you said 'He obviously had major mental issues', with the implication that that's why he checked out.
>>
File: electricity.jpg (93 KB, 1158x660) Image search: [Google]
electricity.jpg
93 KB, 1158x660
>>26270097

Meh.

inb4itsnotoriginal
>>
>>26270262
you can live without electricity
>>
>>26270386

I know, I was just pointing out the irony because the documentary starts by stating this dude has decided to live without technology but as you can see, he has access to electricity and a radio.
>>
>>26270170
Holy shit, learn something about the subject before you start making retarded arguments that it's entirely societal norms that are causing his sister to apply psychological pressure to his sister to rationalize his adventure and death as a mental illness.

She was proud of him, glad he died doing something he loved and supported him the most out of anyone in his family.

He began to show psychological problems during his childhood when the abuse started to occur and long before he had any thoughts relating to freedom of libertarianism or sulf-support according to his sister.

If you love this guy so much you irrationally defend him against the notion he had a psychological issue, regardless of whether or not it influenced his ideas in later life, why haven't you read the book that would have shown you how retarded that question is?
>>
>>26270424
the point is that you can live isolated from the world, and you can also live purely off the land.
mccandless lived for 110 days and only died because he ate stuff he shouldn't have eaten. and he did this in fucking alaska.
>>
>>26270451
calm down friend. if you're can't make a proper post without calling people retarded then i'm not going to argue with you. don't do that again or we're done.

your first post ITT:
>I don't know why he gets so much hate. His story was an amazing character study and it's not like he really hurt anyone other than himself. He obviously had major mental issues
you are clearly implying his 'major mental issues' were the reason he left society. that's what i got from it at least, and if that's not what you meant, you have failed to properly express yourself in your post.
>>
Post some details, how much do you have saved, what's your saving goal, when will you be going, where will you go, what spoiled will you get, weekday will you do for good water shelter, etc.

Without details, this is not any sort of plan
>>
>>26270718
i'm not here to share my exact plan with you, i'm here just to share the idea.
>>
>>26270690
We're done because you haven't brought any points up and because you don't have enough knowledge of the subject.
If the only thing you got out of that post was that I called you retarded you have reading comprehension problems. Calling you retarded does not invalidate the other points.

As for

>I don't know why he gets so much hate. His story was an amazing character study and it's not like he really hurt anyone other than himself. He obviously had major mental issues

I did not even address that comment at all.
I addressed the comment that said:

>why would you think this? if you want to live the life you want to live, instead of mindlessly doing what everybody else is doing, does that mean you have mental issues? that's ridiculous.

Which implied he had no mental issues. I did not write the comment you were quoting nor did I allude to it at all. I was purely talking about whether or not he had a mental issue, which is why I specifically only talked about that.
>>
>>26270097
shit this looks cool. thanks for saving me from my feels for the next 40mins anon
>>
>>26270754
>Calling you retarded does not invalidate the other points.
it does. i refuse to talk to people that can't control their emotions and are unable to have a rational discussion. you have failed to do this.

>I did not even address that comment at all.
so you're trying to say you aren't >>26269612 ?
where exactly did he stop posting and you start posting?
so you knew all along i wasn't talking to you yet you kept trying to prove me wrong while what you say isn't even relevant here? when you want to join a discussion you should tell people you're not the same person.

all i ever said is that quitting society isn't a mental issue.
>>
>>26270749
Then why bother posting, honestly? Everyone knows about this already, but what's important are the details.
>>
>>26269562
Godspeed anon supertramp
>>
>>26271009
like i already said, i'm here to share the idea and maybe to convince people to do the same. and no, not everyone knows about this.

that's kinda the deal with posting threads on 4chan. you share ideas with each other. we're not here to post threads about every single detail of our game plan.
>>
>>26271105
I have no idea where you got that from. There is no "deal" on 4chan, you can post whatever you want.
>>
>>26271278
awesome! i'm posting what i want. not what you want.
>>
lmao after 2 weeks you will run back into your mummys arms, faggot
>>
>>26269562

Read the Early Retirement Extreme book

Do research on homeless punks / crust punks / train hoppers (and only take the good parts)

Read Evasion by Crimethinc

Learn how to cook on a pop can stove

Bicycle Tourists have good advice

Ultra Light backpackers have good advice

Learn about "stealth camping"

GOD SPEED ANON!!! You will have an amazing time.
>>
>>26270942
I am having a rational discussion. It's fine to call somebody retarded when they don't know the basic facts of what they're arguing over, making points with no proof to back it up and being confrontational.

Yes, I'm not 9612. The first time I posted was to respond to the post you made responding to that.

There's a lot of people on this board, assuming somebody who wasn't even trying to prove half the points the other post was is a pretty bad guess. You should know other people will respond to you. It's not my fault you make assumptions that are wrong.

>so you knew all along i wasn't talking to you yet you kept trying to prove me wrong while what you say isn't even relevant here?
It was 100% relevant. Your entire point was he did not have a mental illness. My entire point was his closest family said he did, based off the book that was written about the person you are defending. You're attempting to make points without anything to back it up (whether or not he had a mental illness) and are now getting angry when I tell you that is incorrect because I have actually read that.

>all i ever said is that quitting society isn't a mental issue.
That's great. My point was he did have a mental issue and did not address the societal aspect at all.
>>
Enjoy being robbed and murdered in some 3rd world shithole.
>>
>>26271322
>pop can stove
>>26269562

OP this could be you one day in a ditch trying to cook an egg

> very glamorous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1CB1CYhFU
>>
>>26271322
thanks for the advice. i will gather as much information possible over the next couple of months/years. i will also try it out for a month first and then evaluate. if it doesn't work out, i want to live in an outsider community with other trainhoppers and hobos.
>>
File: pyramid.jpg (68 KB, 640x486) Image search: [Google]
pyramid.jpg
68 KB, 640x486
>>26271327
>It's fine to call somebody retarded
no it's not. you fail to control your emotions. work on that.

>Yes, I'm not 9612.
thank you for informing us several posts later.

>It's not my fault you make assumptions that are wrong.
can you refute my assumption?
my assumption is this >>26269710
do you think quitting society because that's the life you want to live is a mental illness, if so, do you have a single fact to back that up?

>Your entire point was he did not have a mental illness
wrong. i never said this, and never implied this.
stop pretending like i said things i didn't say. i was talking about how quitting society isn't a mental illness. i never said mccandless doesn't have a mental illness. and i was talking to >>26269612 about that. not you. so you can stop now. i refuse to talk to you about this subject.

>You're attempting to make points without anything to back it up
please quote the point i am making. i am not even discussing with you because you didn't say you were someone else. you're talking about mccandless having a mental illness. that's not at all what i was talking about.

>and are now getting angry
that is a false assumption and extremely ironic, because you are the one calling people retards. not me.
i do not let my emotions get in the way of a discussion unlike you.

the thing is that you're trying to argue with me about something that's completely irrelevant here. please refrain from posting. make a new thread if you want to talk about another subject.
>>
>>26271105

aka he has no plans, no ideas, no knowledge of hunting or bushcraft. He thinks he can spend a year reading books and then set forth into the wilderness.

Son, unless you grew up in the country spending your free time hunting and fishing then you have nothing even close to the skills needed to survive alone in the wilderness. The fact that you think this is possible just shows how incredibly ignorant you are.

Yeah, your little hippie hero managed to live for a few months because he got lucky and he spent most of that time becoming increasingly malnourished and would have eventually starved to death anyway. Surviving indefinitely and surviving for a short period are two very, very different things.

This is not even touching on the extensive knowledge of first aid you'd need to do something like this.
>>
>>26271722
actually i do.

but i will tell you for the third time, and then i will start hiding your posts. because you are extremely dense right now.

i am here just to share the idea. i'm not here to give you every single detail of my plan.
>>
>>26271392

No prob senpai.

If I were going solo I would take a few martial arts classes if you can find a cheap local program

There are some real shitheads riding trains. And some great dudes. Rolling with some good ones you meet is a good idea. Shitty oogles will rob you

looking like these freaks is a form of camo. Look poor = not a robbery target

(NSFW gratuitous nudery_)

http://lookatthisfuckingoogle.tumblr.com/
>>
>>26271722
>>26271009
>>26270718
It doesn't even matter what he says, you will call it retarded anyways. We all know you're here just to ''whack a mole''. because you want to mock others and feel like you're right for once. All you ever do is reply to threads to start some dumb discussion that ends up in a who-will-get-the-last-word shitfest. You never contribute anything to the board.

You're the worst kind of person. Cut yourself and never ever stop.
>>
>>26271807
>>26272033

This >>26271722 is my first post in the thread, you salty cunts. I read through it and it's completely moronic for OP to make a thread like this and then refuse to discuss the topic of his own thread. What's the point? Is he expecting everyone else to give him ideas because he has none of his own?

>OP: Hey guys I'm planning to write a novel, it's gonna be really cool! I'm going to live as an author because I'm sick of my wageslave job
>Anon: That sounds pretty sweet anon, what's your novel going to be about?
>OP: Lol yeah right, I'm not going to give you every single detail of my plan, I'm just here to share the idea. Let's talk about that idea but please don't ask me anything about the idea. I'm just here to share the idea and convince others to do the same.
>>
>>26269562
Good book OP.
>>
>>26272281
you can't force people to answer your question.
the other guy asked for my plan in detail, and i didn't give it to him, because that's not what i'm here for. i'm here to talk about the subject, not to give you my diary.

>getting this mad because you didn't get what you want
hello spoiled middleclass child.
no matter how much you ask for details, you're not going to get it.
>>
>>26270424
In my opinion, trying to pull the hermit thing off when IT'S 2016 COME ON we have so much tech without using any of it is just dumb. Maybe it's just me, but after watching too many homesteading videos, I think it's deffinetly possible to live with electricity in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.
Though it would require you to return to civilisation to steal/buy copper wire whenever you run out.
>>
>>26272457

I don't care at all about your plan and I have no interest in the details. I just find it extremely strange that you keep claiming that you just want to talk about the subject and yet the most obvious way in which you could talk about it - sharing and exchanging ideas with fellow anons - is something you're so adamantly against. It's bizarre.
>>
File: 1446764424145.jpg (75 KB, 500x520) Image search: [Google]
1446764424145.jpg
75 KB, 500x520
>>26272547
i'm literally cucking you from the information you want. you're a cuckold.
>but i'm not that guy!
please try this. i dare you.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.