[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello neets, I know some of you dabble with music as a hobby.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: batkeyb.jpg (129 KB, 600x1350) Image search: [Google]
batkeyb.jpg
129 KB, 600x1350
Hello neets, I know some of you dabble with music as a hobby.
What's a neet-friendly musical instrument to pick up?
Must sound good playing alone (so no bass instruments), and no guitars please I don't want to get laid.

I am thinking piano (keyboard) or cello. Any recommendations?
>>
>>26243202
piano yes.
>>
File: cvbcvb.jpg (76 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
cvbcvb.jpg
76 KB, 620x413
Also, is learning the keyboard a good segway into making electronic bleep bloop music?

Or is that a completely different skillset.
>>
Keyboard definitely imo
So versatile
>>
>>26243202
Drums desu dam
>>
File: 23261694971.jpg (85 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
23261694971.jpg
85 KB, 450x299
>>26243282
drums are for downies thou senpai
>>
>>26243220
short answer: not a good segway into the program itself, but it helps with composition.

longer: it won't do much for teaching you about the program itself, but being at least familiar with keys & basic music theory is a great help. especially because many bleep bloop programs (DAW's like FL/ableton) use "piano rolls" for MIDI note composition. as you can prolly guess, it's got the layout of a piano, and uses relative key position to tell you which octave you're at.

MIDI files, for lack of a better term, are like the sheet music of these programs. they themselves give no sound, but denote pitch, length, etc. so if you make a melody in MIDI, you can drag and drop it into any instrument channel, and even load the same exact melody into like 6 fukken channels

honestly, most of the battle is figuring out what the fuck is what. the first DAW will likely be the worst, but as you understand how it works, you'll realize many other DAW's have many of the same features, just with different ways to get to/use them
>>
>>26243282
I played drums for a while and they really aren't that robot friendly. I skipped out on practicing plenty of times because I was afraid my neighbors would hear me and laugh at me when I fucked up or was playing like shit
>>
I'm planning on picking up the guitar soon.
Once I get my tax return I'm picking up a dean XM
>>
File: ML.jpg (57 KB, 620x726) Image search: [Google]
ML.jpg
57 KB, 620x726
>>26243805
I meant an ML XM
It's pretty much a cheap ML for beginners.
>>
>>26243778
electronic drums familia
>>
>>26243778
Damn this is the exact reason I never picked up drums.
It would be a bother to people and I am too shy to make loud noises..

>>26243869
Christ why have I never thought of that, is it even the same feel or does it feel like the game Rockband?
>>
>>26243883
It's close to real drums, it isn't completely the same but there's no simon says involved
>>
>>26243202
Piano or bleep bloops. Electronics is probaly better because nobody really listens to solo piano works. (this is irrelevant if you're playing for yourself or plan to join a band later)
>>
>>26243202
>guitar
yfw you already had the right answer
>>
>>26243202
guitar wont get you laid you fucking tumblrite autistic fuck
jesus i hate this board
>>
>>26243985
>neet
>guitar
This is the kinda wankery that happens if you play guitar and aren't in a band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osaqzYuoNr4
>>
>>26244015
Thats fucking awful
What a waste of time and effort.
>>
>>26243883
I've honestly only played on electronic drums once, so I don't know how many types there are like this, but it feels just like a real drum. It's not like the rockband drums at all. It's actually a drumhead type thing instead of just a rubber pad.
>>
>>26244065
My only problem at all with electronic drums which isn't even anything major, is that typically your range of motion is more limited since all the pieces are in a somewhat fixed position. With a real kit you can move shit around at will to make it more comfortable for whatever you're trying to play. As far as just playing though, electronics feel pretty much the same
>>
>>26243202
literally the only time ive ever had sex was because i played piano for her. And its a great skill to have there are pianos everywhere
>>
>>26244015
A B S O L U T E L Y - A U T I S T IC
>>
>>26243202
Piano is the absolute best solo instrument

Nearly everything written for piano is either solo or piano with accompaniment and you can just skip the orchestral background
>>
What's a good weighted keys keyboard to buy since a real piano is expensive as fuck?
>>
>>26244015
>confirmation bias
more like this you autistic fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QGnWz1SrIs
>>
>>26243220
i don't think thiers many other instruments besides keyboard/piano since most is done through synths and machines like drum machines/sequencers etc.

a keyboard is versatile and can achieve sounds of most instruments and you can emulate that playing through how you play and settings of the keyboard. even drums you can play on a keyboard just as well as a proper drummer

but an instrument like string/wind/brass you can play easily anywhere, you don't need a power source (though keyboards can run on battery) and they're not as heavy as a keyboard. they're usually pretty cheap as well compared to keyboards

i'd say just pick keyboard. it's a pretty fun instrument and you can it's more versatile then any other.. any sound you want you can usually get....
instruments like guitar are one of only other where you can't really emulate, like >>26244015 is an example of what guitar can do (though the playing is sloppy on that, atleast from what i think he's trying to get, and his notes are coming out pretty bad. it's probably more his guitar setup though since nearly all the strings sound like they're too loose)

electronic music is mainly composition moreso then playing/twisting knobs for dynamics etc, unless you do 'live' making music (but most electronic songs are setup before hand, they might make base of song 'live' but they'll tweak it like composing a song and set the envelopes [which control how it wooshes up and down or how a dubstep bass goes wuuuUUBBBbbb which is frequency] then listen and set again etc.).. playing piano, even if you don't learn theory and just learn songs, will develop your 'ear' for tones and give idea of the note changes that are in songs and that a lot use. electronic music is mainly (though some people just buy/use other peoples samples) different sounds and adjusting how well they sound

just get a cheap instrument and play it... any instrument you'll sound like shit as a beginner. it takes 2-3 years to be decent.
>>
>>26245103
one problem
you cant carry a piano aruond
>>
>>26243202
Guitar. It's not that hard as it seems, just practice every day and after year you can be a decent player.
>>
File: Math.png (226 KB, 749x455) Image search: [Google]
Math.png
226 KB, 749x455
Bagpipes
They are cool
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.