[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw studying physics >tfw going through university like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11
File: versa2.jpg (104 KB, 1202x222) Image search: [Google]
versa2.jpg
104 KB, 1202x222
>tfw studying physics
>tfw going through university like how a guy in 1983 would
>use a slide rule for all calculations that require it
>never use calculators
>got gud at remembering trig, spatial vectors, and other things that pussies use graphing calculators/Wolfram for
>use exclusively books published in 1981 or prior
>go to library for all information I need to study, never use internet unless it is required by the course
>never email professors, only use their office hours
>use a IBM 5160 I bought from a friend's dad in HS for specific applications

There is literally nothing wrong with this either. If it was good enough for them, then it's not too good for you. At least that's how I see it.

Anyone else here doing something similar?
>>
*If it was good enough for them, then it's good enough for you
>>
No. Sorry anon but you've wasted so much time.
>>
File: 1286582735265.jpg (139 KB, 310x440) Image search: [Google]
1286582735265.jpg
139 KB, 310x440
>>26213029

>There is dignity in doing things inefficiently
>>
>>26213077
How? I get shit done on time and have lots of free time. Sorry that you suck at coursework bro
>>
>>26213029
Physics courses nowadays require you to use software like C for at least 1 course

Also they require you to submit word-processed lab reports .

Especially if you want to do a PhD, you don't want to fall behind in technology.
>>
>>26213115
It's not inefficient, if it were then everything in that era would have failed. I support OP
>>
>>26213155
Oh I know. What I meant to say is that I'm emulating a student back then whenever and whereever possible. I know how to code and I do research with a professor with things that mainly require computers.
>>
>>26213029

>tfw going through university like how a guy in 1983 would
>use a slide rule

I think you're off by a century OP.
>>
I have absolutely not the faintest interest in physics, but I wanted to chime in and say more power to you. What you're doing is very romantic, and I like that.
>>
>>26213212
they didnt have powerful graphing calculators until like the mid 90s
>>
>>26213215
Glad you can see the charm in it bro. What are you studying?
>>
>>26213029
I like this. I like to think of a lot of "solutions" to today's problems are Rube Goldberg machines. In my car I have to use a touch screen to tap through several different menus just to change the temperature. Solutions to problems should be simple, not more complex than they need to be. Good on you OP
>>
>>26213249
I am a NEET on medical leave for depression. But you don't give a fuck about that, the answer to your question is biomedical engineering.
>>
>>26213029
>use exclusively books published in 1981 or prior
This is a decent idea. Less pretty pictures and a more straightforward text. Although small errors in the text are more likely since there would not be a new edition every 2 years or so to correct them.

>got gud at remembering trig, spatial vectors, and other things
>only use their office hours
These are good.

>never email professors,
>use a slide rule for all calculations that require it
>never use calculators
These are asinine and serve no purpose other than being a luddite.
>>
This is pretty sad because you would have probably been smart and motivated enough to already be in a PhD program if you weren't autistic enough to purposely hinder yourself.

I guess my friend was right about my physics majors being next level spergs.
>>
>>26213403
>This is a decent idea. Less pretty pictures and a more straightforward text

this. The ideas are presented to you as are relevant equations. As a result they are smaller and easier to carry. The problems are challenging too and if you cant solve them it's your fault for being stupid.

Also modern physics books have like 1000s of questions that cannot be realistically solved in the amount of time you have as a student. 20-30 tough questions is all you need
>>
>>26213439
>being sperg
.a bad thing

Maybe for normalfags like you
>>
>>26213488
Its a bad thing in this case where he is hindering himself for no gain. It honestly depresses me to see someone just piss away their maximum potential like this.
>>
>>26213513
Actually depending on calculators and aids would hinder his full grasp of the topic anon
>>
>>26213542
If he understands why the slide rule is giving him the correct answer, he will certainly understand why the calculator is.
>>
>>26213513
If you're on this board, you don't know as much about maximizing your potential as you think you do. Every visit here is time out of your limited life that you've wasted.
>>
>go to library for all information I need to study, never use internet unless it is required by the course
>never email professors, only use their office hours

i can dig your other points, but i don't quite get these, they're like tying an arm behind your back.

while there's nothing wrong with going to profs at their office hours, it's courteous to give them an e-mail or notice ahead of time (in case another student has messaged them and already has some of their time.) it's also pretty silly to go out of your way to go to their office hours when you only have, say, a question about a due date or time.

also, with such old text books, you could easily get free .pdf's from the web.

>>26213403
"never" using a calculator is definitely too much, but I think it's good on OP that he's tying more things to memory and mental work. there should definitely be some moderation, especially when/if there's redundancy in the work.

I've met lots of people that will take what the calculator says as god's word, and jot down what it says without second guessing it. stuff like fuckers putting down a positive delta h for an exothermic reaction, because they plugged numbers in incorrectly, forgot a sign/parenthesis, etc. and didn't bother checking that facet of the work.
>>
>>26213576
Duh
I don't like seeing my worst traits replicated in others, and I especially don't like seeing them taken to greater extremes.
>>
>>26213587
>also, with such old text books, you could easily get free .pdf's from the web.

The older the textbook, the harder it is to get a pdf

>it's also pretty silly to go out of your way to go to their office hours when you only have, say, a question about a due date or time

Ask them after class
>>
>>26213587
>I've met lots of people that will take what the calculator says as god's word, and jot down what it says without second guessing it.
Yes, use the calculator as a tool for understanding, not a crutch.
>>
File: 1454045233300.jpg (14 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1454045233300.jpg
14 KB, 251x251
>>26213370
>medical leave
>for depression

NEET'S make me so fucking angry I swear. Whose money are you wasting right now by not going to school.
>>
>>26213158
>It's not inefficient, if it were-
If it /weren't/ we wouldn't have developed better technologies
>>
>>26213029
Yes, I too have autism.
>>
Sometimes I think about doing this in life. Like pretending it's the 70s, read old newspapers and tv shows, shop at thrift stores for vintage clothes, etc
>>
>>26213158
Do you even know what the word means?
Fucking imbecile, both a Fiat and a Lamborghini will get you across the city (and probably at the same speed if you assume traffic), yet one will cost you ten times what the other in gasoline.
>inb4 you take the analogy further and decide that doing things inefficiently is 'lambo' whereas doing them efficiently is 'fiat'
>>
I push all the red blood cells in my body manually. Letting them flow along themselves is for pussies.
>>
>>26213673
My parents'. I'm not proud to be a NEET and have never posted in a wagecuck thread, but I just can't function anymore.
>>
>>26213673
>"HAHAHAHAHA YOU HAVE TO LIVE LIFE THE WAY I TELL YOU!"

go fuck yourself
>>
You're fine accept that you'll have no programming experience. This will end up being inexcusable especially of you want to do anything at a higher level.
>>
>>26213794
>inb4 you take the analogy further and decide that doing things inefficiently is 'lambo' whereas doing them efficiently is 'fiat'

Why wouldnt I? It's true
>>
>>26213029
I'm kinda the same way regarding computer science. I don't use the latest machines or IDEs or language or whatever new fangled thing comes out that makes programming and doing other shit easy. I get criticized a lot for doing this because, "That's not how they do it in industry." I don't want to go into "industry", I'm more interested in the theoretical aspects of computer science, algorithms and the mathematical foundations of computer science. I don't want to develop software as a living.

As an example, this past summer I did quite a bit of research which I did all on my old Thinkpad, benchmarking and everything.
>>
File: 1454466423428.png (270 KB, 505x477) Image search: [Google]
1454466423428.png
270 KB, 505x477
>be me
>euphoric college student studying physics (the purest science)
>only using technology and learning materials from before 1981, because that's when all the most famous and intelligent scientists were alive, and I'm just like them
>class is about to begin, but I have just enough time to spank one out
>open up my history book to a blank and white photo of Pauli and Heisenberg together
>nobody else in college understands their theories like I do
>stuff my meaty fists between the folds of flab hanging over my groin as I beat off furiously into a worn "I <3 Mathematics" shirt on the floor
>phew, 12 seconds- a new record length for me, but still just enough time to get dressed and make my way to class
>first one there, punctual as usual
>I care so much more about learning advanced physics than all these other chumps in my class
>eventually professor and everyone else arrives and we walk into the classroom, with me at the front of the queue and shoulder to shoulder with the prof (when he sees how eager I am, he'll skip me straight up to work in his lab for sure)
>everyone takes their seats
>"Okay, Class, today we'll be doing some warm up exercises to get you all familiar with MATLAB- the standard for college level physics and-"
>slam my hand on the table, laughing at the top of my voice as dormitory fragments spew across the keyboard
>"Is there a problem, Mr.....?"
>he's forgotten my name again. He's probably been too busy remembering all of the great additional information I've been supplying in lectures instead
>reach into my bag and pull out my trusty slide rule
>stand up and explain to the class that MATLAB is for pampered college kids who don't know how REAL scientists do things
>I bet they've never even read A Brief History of Time
>I understood all of it
>I explain that any problem that can be solved with a computer can be solved just as well with a slide rule, textbooks from before 1981, and my euphoric intellect

(1/2)
>>
>>26213843
It's not you retard.
I'll give you a better example.
Give a 5 year old who is barely learning to write a notebook and a pen and ask him to copy the first page of any given book.
Give someone who practices calligraphy an equivalent notebook and pen, and ask him to copy the same page of the same book.
The kid will do a mess, use twenty times the space, and the end result will be hideous.
The person who has practiced calligraphy will do it in a reduced space, yet it will be beautiful and readable.
There you idiot, that's what you're doing.
>>
>>26213729
"Better" technologies.

You know how you can go to the hardware store and buy a pair of ratcheting auto-adjusting infinitely-variable thing-grippers, and it'll break in a week, but a 50 year old crescent wrench will do the job just fine? Apply that to everything in your life, and realize you've been Jewed.
>>
>>26213829
Why would a physics major need to be able to program? You may as well do computer science major on top of that if that's' the case.
>>
>>26213931
Modelling, basically.
No physics major can succeed in his field without way more than basic computer skills.
>>
>>26213963
OP here, so what programming languages should I learn?
>>
>>26213963
this. everyone in modern physics uses computers for work. there's no way around it.

>>26213894
kek post 2/2
>>
>>26213029
I'm a similarly minded person, except more 1893 than 1983. Here's a youtube channel I found recently that you might find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-NEt9QIezXknHX5BJIh5w

A bunch of classical physics demonstrations done with period-correct technology.
>>
>>26213636
>The older the textbook, the harder it is to get a pdf

if you go too far back & are looking for a specific edition, yeah, but i've had the best luck with general older texts. my worst luck with .pdf hunting, is when I -have- to get the nth edition because it has problems in it that are much different from the previous ones.

>Ask them after class

i suppose that works if OP has class 4+ days a week and/or doesn't have something due every class day, but I only go mondays & wednesdays and need to commute. If OP lives on/close to campus though, my point's pretty much moot altogether. it's just that the internet & office hour things seem like they'd be hell with having to commute
>>
>>26213931
Its not the same type of programming, from what kids in my school tell me.
>>
>>26213990
C and x86 assembly. C++ and Java are for postmodern fuccbois who have to abstract everything and get triggered by the use of global scope. Scripting languages aren't even programming.
>>
File: 20160202_204141~2.jpg (714 KB, 2909x2338) Image search: [Google]
20160202_204141~2.jpg
714 KB, 2909x2338
>>26213029
>2016 AD in the future
>not using a state of the art calculator from 1978
Don't be such a dinosaur.
>>
>>26213990
Depends on what you want to do of course. If you've no idea, then just learn how to program anything. It'll go from there.
>>
>>26214034
Oh, ok then. I know C++, HTML 5, and python as it stands. I shied away from C because /g/ said it was really, really, really, really, really, really hard and I didnt think I'd have time to learn it if it was.

Java and x86 I'll have to look into learning as well. How can I show that I've learned these languages?
>>
File: 1454467580711.gif (2 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1454467580711.gif
2 MB, 384x216
(2/2)
>in fact, I'll probably solve these practice problems before anybody else, using their fancy "MATLAB", pointlessly complicated and pandering "scientific calculators" and modern scientific and mathematical techniques from their "recently published textbooks"
>immediately set to work, making sure to clack the slide rule loudly every time I solve a problem
>everyone can hear it, and they turn to look at me with each jolt
>they're intimidated by my intellect, but say nothing out of fear
>one by one, they gradually give up on their work, shut off their computers, then sigh and wistfully look at me, jealous, then leave the room
>by the end of this process, fifteen minutes after the "registered time" for the class has expired, I'm already a third of the way through the problems
>everybody else has already given up
>"Excuse me, Mr..... Anon?"
>he's looked at the name I wrote down with my expensive replica calligraphy pens on my notebook
>"The class is over, and I need to go and do another tutoring session now... You'll just have to hand in what you've managed so far and I'll just mark that"
>smile at him as I hand over the first four problems, perfectly solved in the same manner as my favourite euphoric scientists
>"Alright Anon, I guess you can catch up to the others next week"
>explain to him that it's they who will need to be catching up to ME
>"No, anon. Everybody else already finished their work. You took by far the longest out of everyone, including the remedial students."
>WHAT
>he starts packing up to leave and walks out the door
>I drop my slide rule, framed photo of Oppenheimer and large bottle of diet mountain dew as I chase after him, pushing up against his side
>"But wait, professor! Won't you want to have a dedicated, unique student like me in your class! I did everything without using the standard, universally accepted modern tools!"
>he turns around, looks me in the eye and says
>>
>>26214066
C isn't hard at all, don't listen to /g/. If anything it's easier than C++, but slightly more tedious. I found C++ to be absurdly meta when all I needed to do was give my computer a set of instructions.

Don't learn Java.
Don't learn x86 until you have a really good grasp of C, especially regarding pointers and how memory works.
>>
>>26213931
Kek you're a fucking autistic retard OP. Thinking you're the shit for doing things like grandpas when guys just as smart as you get there work done faster AND network and do internships on top of that.

You'll end up like that brit physics phd grad who jumped off a building at 31 years of age because he depended too much on academics and not enough on the important things
>>
>>26214084
"But Anon, if MATLAB was good enough for them, then it's good enough for you."
>>
>>26213990
Scheme/LISP and what >>26214034 said
>>
>>26213990
A lot of computational physics is done in fortran
>>
>>26214046
That's a real beaut you got there anon. Where'd you get it?
>>
>>26214141
this. He is wasting time doing things that these days could be done in seconds. Not even poor people work under such circumstances. OP has committed Category 1 Autism.
>>
>>26214132
should i get certifications?

>>26214141
That wasnt me. You're responding to someone else. I'm perfectly fine with everyone else working how they will, I was just posing a thought for them
>>
>>26214164
I got it for free at a thrift store. It didn't have a price tag so she just gave it to me for free. She said it was sitting in the shelves for years. I just got lucky finding one. It is quite amazing and still works with a new pair of 9 volt batteries.
>>
File: 1424494297220.jpg (99 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
1424494297220.jpg
99 KB, 426x341
>>26214159
>>26214157
this is intimidating me...maybe I should start spending more time coding..
>>
>>26213439
>>26213760
>>26214141
>>26214165
Oh no, OP has AUTISM!
Does that make you CRINGE?
Do you feel AWKWARD?
Maybe he looks CREEPY in real life too!
Maybe he wears a FEDORA!
Haha he's probably a VIRGIN!

normie niggers gettin triggered
>>
Bravo OP. You can calculate eigenvectors off the top of your head. Guess what though? Your classmates dont give a shit because they completed their work much faster using "weak-minded" resources like google but they still understand the material and ace their exams. They are off to hang out with friends or go to parties while you're here bragging to strangers on a Mongolian Throat singing board about how awesome you are. A man for the ages
>>
>>26214244
The only thing Im triggered by is anti-technology idiots. No one cares that you're smart OP. Do you also masturbate to your 145 IQ that you paid to take?
>>
>>26214189
>should i get certifications?
Hell if I know, I'm a NEET. I dropped out of college when the CS program was trying to meme OO shit on me and my classmates were buying into the brainwashing. Shameful t b h, so they got no more of my scholarship money.
>>
>>26214224
if you don't plan on going into computational/theoretical physics learning MATLAB should be more than enough.
>>
>>26214277
I bet he doesn't even watch porn. He probably writes down erotica using ink and feather and then jacks off to it using his Victorian high socks.
>>
>>26214246
>They are off to hang out with friends or go to parties

1) You're clearly a normalfag yourself, go hang out with your friends if you're so kewl

2) It's just banter, I dont give a shit what anyone else uses but I like to use old aids rather than new ones sometimes to solidify my understanding of the topic in full.

3) I dont think I'm better than anyone else and until my lifting program makes me jacked I wont even humor the notion

4) I love you too bro
>>
>>26214277
Technology from any era can be used to get the job done. Progress isn't a one-way street.
>>
>>26214311
So why can't I have slaves?
>>
>>26214296
Oh...ok then. I'm studying to specialize in theoretical plasma physics actually
>>
>>26213137
That's good anon. You're building mathematic structures in your mind which is important for the philosophical part of math. Make sure you understand things like matlab. When you're ready you can take a course to get certified. Then learn 1 or two coding languages and you're almost employable. Hope you have good references! Good job I'm proud of you
>>
You are right OP, people are getting dumber thanks to technology. Flynn effect my ass.
>>
>>26214430
the references is the only part I wont have because my social skills are awful
>>
>tfw community college student and started calculus
>tfw they just give you a shitty online program with problems and the answers to the problems with no help
>tfw confused because small brain

Ahhhhhhhhh
>>
>>26213574
those are two completely different things
>>
>>26214492
this. As much as tech made things a lot easier, it has also made what would eventually be what wasn't broken fubar. I prefer doing calculations on paper. Sometimes he professors even give you credit for showing your work. Doing this online doesn't help one bit.
>>
>>26214329
Because it's illegal, sorry. If it were legal you could use slaves.
>>
>>26214539
That's my problem with the online thing, the professor has an excuse not to teach because of the program.

I don't really get anything and it takes a lot of time already. Answers don't help as much as an explanation or steps would.
>>
>>26213029
>There is literally nothing wrong with this either.
>literally

Kill yourself senpai.
>>
>>26214454
That's the most important part. You might be surprised by your profs. Keep up the good work, keep an eye out for gala/events. Do interesting and creative work. Read about modern physics questions to have a good subject to talk about which is relevant to your professors work
>>
Good luck getting a job with a fucking slide rule
>>
>>26214575
The worst aspect of doing homework online (at least in my case) is that I don't even get any feedback on how I can improve. You either get the answer right or you don't. This makes it extremely easy for a group of friends to copy the answer from one another and then submitt the homework with a perfect score without doing any work. Meanwhile, someone like me who reads the whole damn chapter and is left confused as to why I am getting the question wrong only to find out hours later that the answer box is fucking picky with the way the answer is put. If a professor was grading it, then perhaps I could be doing better and maybe even get the homework back so I can look over my work. You cannot do that at all with online homework. It's an abysmal solution to a problem that never existed.
>>
>>26214728
>I need wolfram alpha in order to learn
found the retard
>>
>>26214767
>I dont need to use matlab to work

Found the unemployed person
>>
>>26214767
Sometimes, getting a solution and working your way backwards from the answer helps some people understand the method better so that when they see a similar problem, they can apply that method without having to search for answers or waste time thinking about different ways to solve it. Alternatively, you can look up examples and do them along and then apply a similar method to the problem you are struggling with. Its extremely important to learn the method. Put it this way, the journey to the solution is more important than the destination.
>>
>>26214766
Yes it's very frustrating. I spent double the time I normally would this semester just trying to get the right answers, rather than spending that valuable time getting better at the concepts and fundamentals, or even doing more problems to practice.

I am already frustrated and I'm barely into the semester, it's really no fun when I've been having fun up until this point. I hope you at least have free time, the online system makes all the homework due 2 days into the week because that's the next class meeting so I've spent my whole week already just doing the problems.
>>
>>26213673
Are you that imbecile who always falls for wagecuck threads?
>>
>>26214821
And wolfram alpha will not only give you the answers, but show you all the steps on how to get there
>>
>>26214948
>>26214821
Fuck wolfram, thats for cheating on homework.

You literally REQUIRE matlab to do any sort of useful math, thats what this OP needs to do
>>
>>26214983
maybe. I'm not saying that OP should use a slide rule.
I'm just autisticly making my own matlab-type program in C cause I... I don't actually know why(just for experience I guess).
>>
>>26214983
Unless OP is well versed in using Mathlab, he is not going to get any use out of it. It has a step learning curve for any new user. I had to take two semesters of Mathlab and even then, we don't use it that often seeing as they don't even give us the software. At least wolfram alpha is readily available and easy to use compared to mathlab. Honestly, if OP was required to do work on mathlab, what he is doing right now is beyond pointless and he should learn to use mathlab immediately .
>>
File: 1431761210101.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1431761210101.png
21 KB, 900x900
>>26213029
>I eschew modern technologies, including email for communicating with my professors and internet for research
>I still post on 4chan though
>>
>>26215356
>I use the word eschew casually
>I still wear don't wear a fedora
>>
>>26215384
I was actually using it to mock OP's tone, although Im sure you wont believe me
>>
File: m8-logo.jpg (43 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
m8-logo.jpg
43 KB, 500x301
>MATLAB
>Not superior Wolfram Mathematica

It's literally free if you send your school schedule to them, stop being plebs

Stop being plebs
>>
>>26215414
eh I actually see where youre coming from
>>
File: smug.jpg (70 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
70 KB, 1000x1000
>>26215430
I've got both free from my Uni and I study in a biosciences department
>>
File: 1436378736856.png (163 KB, 303x566) Image search: [Google]
1436378736856.png
163 KB, 303x566
>>26215356
Im surprised more people aren't pointing this out
>>
>>26214151
underrated punchline
>>
It's inefficient.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.