[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here ever had an MMO addiction how devastating was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: lizwoolley[1].jpg (22 KB, 390x586) Image search: [Google]
lizwoolley[1].jpg
22 KB, 390x586
Has anyone here ever had an MMO addiction how devastating was it on your life?. I'm personally grateful I never got into WOW.
>>
>>26200554
Started playing Runescape in primary school. Terrible game which absorbed my life. And then old school Runescape came back, like, mid-high school, and it's basically why I dropped out of high school.
>>
>>26200578
>And then old school Runescape came back, like, mid-high school
Youre what, 17?
>>
>>26200554
Almost but I avoided it. Couldn't do the social side of it. I would single-play until you get to the point in the game where the only way forward is to team up with others. Then I would stop playing the game.

Also, I could never justify paying monthly subs and private servers were never stable.
>>
>>26200554
Used to play timescale 4 hours a day and 8 on weekends
Now have been playing never winter the same for about a month but I'm getting bored
>>
>>26200554
MMO addiction is a meme. Unless you are severely autistic you shouldnt have trouble quitting the game when you get bored of it. Honestly, OP, golden age of WoW was a magical thing. Every MMO player must have fond memories of times before normies got into gaming. No gamer girls, no casuals, only us - passionate nerd guys. You rush after school to the computer to continue your adventure and deeply escape into that unreal world. What a comfy feeling that was. And like everything it had to be ruined by jews
>>
>>26200596
20. Guess more mid-late high school. I've been a NEET for so long I don't really take notice of the time, desu.
>>
>>26200554
Who's there fat fuck in the photo?
>>
I never got to get addicted to a game to the point it started ruining my life, simply because all games start to bore me after some time.
Im a casual and usually give a few plays on great single player hits like mass effect, skyrim, dead space, whatever. Speaking of mmo's, I also managed to plex my eve account during a summer, starting in trial (when plex was under 1bil), but that one requires so much fucking dedication that I just stopped playing altogether.
>>
9 years playing Ogame. I'm in the top fleet, top hof and other shits in my country.
This is the only place where i am someone, this is kind of a better life than IRL.
Too bad the game turned to shit.
>>
I used to love MMO addiction stories it's the thing I miss most from the 2000s.

I was expecting a full documentary or two by now.
>>
>>26200554

I played Everquest whenever I had time but I didn't have much time at that age so it was never too bad. In my early twenties I spent a year or so where I would play WoW for 10-12 hours a day, every day. I don't think I'd consider it an addiction, though. I was deeply depressed at the time and I'd have been using some other activity to fill the time if I hadn't been playing WoW.
>>
>>26200664
Ahahaha this fag thinks everyone in eve slaves for isk like he did.. I pay for 2 plex a month plus all my ships with only a few hours of work a month.. It's called finding your niche market and increasing your efficiency to its max.. Something a fucking casual won't ever understand.
>>
>>26200554
>blaming an MMO for your personal problems
Holy shit this is retarded.

I mean I wasted my youth and young adulthood with WoW, but I am not delusional enough to blame the game.
I was the lazy piece of shit who did nothing but playing some dumb video game instead of going out into the world. The game was not the source of the problem.
>>
Played Ragnarok for 8 years, started around 22. It helped me ignore my stagnating career, social life, etc. But it was fun. Would I do it again? Maybe.
>>
>>26200554
I was always naturally introverted and my home life was fucked up, so the escapism into MMOs was almost inevitable for me. Its basically the reason I dropped of high school and became a hikikomori from 15 to 21.

Even now at 26 as a /fit/fag motorcyclist making a comfy 27/hr, I am still a kv with no social life because years of isolation during that critical developmental period has made unable to pair bond with people. I am completely unemotional and can't relate to people at all. People at work mistake my stoicism for professionalism. I bought a motorcycle specifically because I thought the danger of it would make -feel- anything.
>>
>>26200554
Runescape ruined my high school years, I quite just intime to turn my life around for uni.

I still miss it but then look at the abomination that is RS3 today and forget about it
>>
Runescape, man.
I've wasted like 6 years of my life playing it non stop, everyday for about 5-6 hours a day. It was mainly because friends I've met on there. I didn't even train, I just chatted most of the time. I cucked a few people on there too, catfished
>>
>>26200554
damn there's not enough info about him 2001 was way too fucking long ago if this happened even in 2006 or something we'd at least have known what clan he is and stuff but that was still web 1.0 back then
>>
FFXI, WoW and now FFXIV. The level of escapism they provide is intense. Going on 13 years of MMOs now. I'm at the point where I have to be playing/thinking about a game or I can't sleep or deal with everyday life.
>>
not an mmo, but it was still a game addiction

i was addicted to some fps games in the early 2000s. cs mainly. i went to school, got home and scrimmed until 2am every day and then barely woke up at 7am to go to school, i would regularly fall asleep in classes because i was too tired. did that for about 4 years.

complete waste of time and i wish i never started playing it.
>>
I feel shamed saying this, but I was very addicted to Maple Story pre-big bang, like I actually dropped nearly 2k on that game.
>>
Runescape. I quit for good after they ruined the game but the fuckers lured me back with old school servers.
>>
>>26201032
how old are you? NEET?
>>
>>26200554
What is that picture from?

Also yeah, played a lot of mmos, I mean everyone, and all the lame ones too like maple story. I am like a 30 year old man.
>>
>>26200554
Been playing WoW for 9 years, got just over 512 days /played. If I didn't play WoW I would of just played other games, and wouldn't have made as close friendships as I have. People seem to blame a video game for them being lazy, and forget to realise it was them being lazy that got them into video games.
>>
I currently have 7000+ hours on Runescape and easily 1000+ hours in f2p.

If I never got into Runescape, I would have been the best researcher since I love learning about my subject. But I love runescape more. Probably I would have gotten to UF instead of FIU. But I don't regret my decisions.

I'm about to get my 10 year cape in a month.
>>
>>26201117
>9 years, got just over 512 days /played
what a fucking casual
>>
Starting WoW was the start of my downfall, grades plummeted, failed a year because of attendance, gained shitloads of weight, fucked my social skills up. Now I'm still trying to lose weight and become an active person.
>>
>>26201132
Are you me?

My dream was UF but I ended up going to USF because of muh addiction and laziness.

FIU is a shithole, I hear. Are you enjoying it there?
>>
I've been a PC gamer since I was 10 and I'm 23 now, I've played probably every noteworthy MMO to come out in the past decade along with the other literal thousands of games I've played since I was old enough to hold a controller on the SNES. My life has been literally defined by video games,, I've probably spent 3/10ths of my life playing them at this point.

I'm totally attached to my computer and when I'm not on it I get pretty frustrated pretty quick, every hour that goes by that I'm not accomplishing something in a game I feel is wasted, unless I'm watching a particularly good anime or something.

I would say I'm addicted, I can't remember the last time I wasn't logged in to an MMO for at least 10 hours out of the day. It's my comfort zone, my emotional safe space basically where I can escape into a world and pretend I'm someone I'm not and avoid my real life problems.

Currently i'm playing the NA edition of BnS and am on break for an undetermined amount of time from FFXIV. Yes I am a NEET, ask me anything.
>>
>>26201100
26. Not NEET but was until 3 months ago
>>
>>26200554
I had an addiction i guess to wow.

I was in high school and had no life to speak of, so I don't think it was devastating. I actually wish I could go back.
>>
you don't quit runescape, runescape quits you
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.