[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FIT THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 37
File: 1452092877673.jpg (395 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1452092877673.jpg
395 KB, 1536x2048
Back again!

Questions and such, I'll help as much as I can.
>>
File: Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png (689 KB, 3664x2552) Image search: [Google]
Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png
689 KB, 3664x2552
Here's the guide. ooriginallll
>>
File: lose-gain-maintain-weight.png (71 KB, 698x749) Image search: [Google]
lose-gain-maintain-weight.png
71 KB, 698x749
I haven't posted in a while, partly due to work, partly due to other things. Just letting you know I'm not letting you down.

Pic is the absolutely necessary understanding of calories (energy measure) with which to control your fat (stored energy). And here's a link to /fit/'s sticky, which is a lot of good info to begin with.

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
>>
I've been sort of watching what I eat, some times. I know that I've almostly completely cut soft drink out of my diet. I use to drink like around 2 cans of normal coke a day while i sit on the computer or a can and a full bottle whilst at work.

Now I rarely have soft drink and drink around 2 - 3L of water each day.

Baby steps, but I'm getting there. Just got to find a way to get myself to a gym.
>>
File: example.jpg (187 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
187 KB, 1240x1754
>>25986822

That's how it starts. Next, count your calories for everything, every day.
>>
Nick. Kill yourself. Never come back.
>>
>>25986887

What may be the cause of such anger?
>>
>>25986918
You know there is a board called fit? Also did you know that such board is about being fit? I just think that you should make these stupid threads in a board specifically for that. And you are obviously looking to feel superior here because we are all lazy people. But of course you think your stupid plan and mind are better for getting fit because you have experience but in reality you are just some loser that wants attention for the only thing you barely know something about.
>>
File: 115[1].jpg (99 KB, 566x630) Image search: [Google]
115[1].jpg
99 KB, 566x630
>>25986652
They made an entire board for this

You fucking retards
>>
>>25987144
>read the sticky xd

that's pretty much /fit/ for newbies
>>
mods need to delete this trash from my r9k
>>
an entire board
>>
File: Prolapse_Feet2[1].jpg (471 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Prolapse_Feet2[1].jpg
471 KB, 2048x1536
an
entire
broard
>>
>>25986652
I want to get fit but am too scared to go to a gym and the next gym is too far away from my place anyway.
I tried to do some excercises that rely on you using your own body-weigth to get fitter e.g simple push-ups and things like that but i found that to be very boring and stopped quickly.
That's why i am considering to buy myself some equipment/training machine that will make it more enjoyable for me and give me enough motivation to continue practicing.
Now the question is which machine to get? I thought of a rowing machine, is that a good idea?
Usually i'd just get myself some weigths and start lifting but I have no spotter that can intervene in case something goes wrong.
>>
>>25987018
>You know there is a board called fit?

Yes, of course.

>And you are obviously looking to feel superior here because we are all lazy people.

That is untrue. I am only here to help, however hard this might be for you to believe.

>But of course you think your stupid plan and mind are better for getting fit

Better than what? Everything I tell you guys is based on what I have learned, not invented myself. I'm trying to save you the time I wasted doing inefficient stuff.

> in reality you are just some loser that wants attention for the only thing you barely know something about.

Fitness isn't my main interest in life, by far, and it's one of the newest, relatively. I used to be much like you guys and that's why I'm here.
>>
>>25987276
>I tried to do some excercises that rely on you using your own body-weigth to get fitter e.g simple push-ups and things like that but i found that to be very boring and stopped quickly.

Better get some dumbbells at home.

>That's why i am considering to buy myself some equipment/training machine that will make it more enjoyable for me and give me enough motivation to continue practicing.

Don't buy a machine, it's as expensive as it is useless. Invest in free weights.

>Now the question is which machine to get? I thought of a rowing machine, is that a good idea?

That would be mostly for cardio, and if it's cardio you want, just run for free instead.

I recommend dumbbells to begin with. Later on, if you like it, invest in a barbell and a cage/rack so you can lift alone safely. But that'll be quite some money, so only invest in that once you're sure; until then, get some DB and some weights.
>>
File: 1450868107552.png (104 KB, 660x187) Image search: [Google]
1450868107552.png
104 KB, 660x187
As to the Negative Nancies, the reason why I'm here has a lot to do with the fact that I won't see you over /fit/, so I come here, where you are.

Not everyone gets as lucky as Henry Rollins and get to have someone knowledgeable and caring tell them what to do to get fit and strong at an early age. I wish this had happened to me. I would have given it a go had I known some credible person who was doing more than meme shit.

You can find my attempt ridiculous, silly, you can even think I'm being vainglorious and narcissistic, but none of that matters if any good comes of it, and that's what I'm after.
>>
How do I strengthen my lower back? It's as weak as it gets. I can't do planks or any other core exercise because before I even feel my core is being worked my lower back becomes sore and I feel like my back is breaking under its own weight.
>>
File: 2kk.jpg (88 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
2kk.jpg
88 KB, 480x640
u guys jelly of my bicep?
>>
>>25986652
what would be a good way to increase my red blood cell count

should I walk 100 meters, jog 100 meters, then have a rest day, then do exactly 73 star umps and jog half a mile, then have a rest day, then jerk off to anna song and run a quart mile before doing 3 sit ups or some shit
>>
>>25987469
nice flabcep, how many pull ups can you do in a row?

3?
>>
>>25987445
>How do I strengthen my lower back?

If you can get to a gym with barbell, do SS. It's honestly the best program for strength overall, back including. Keep in mind your overall strength should grow together, you can't isolate bits.

Deadlifts will help with lower back, definitely, but start light, never fuck around with your back.
>>
File: cardio.gif (137 KB, 1288x2588) Image search: [Google]
cardio.gif
137 KB, 1288x2588
>>25987471
>what would be a good way to increase my red blood cell count

Consider eating food that has more iron and such, rather than cardio alone.

As to running, pic.
>>
bump for fit
>>
>>25986652
you are more autistic than the majority of r9k
>>
>>25988672
>you are more autistic than the majority of r9k

I'll take that as a compliment.
>>
>>25986652
Nick I see you have an original idea/thread and you're willing to actually put some time into it, but you forgot that the people who browse this board are self destructive losers who only reply to threads about memes and killing themselves.
>>
How low should I go on squats? My boss said to squat at a 90 degree angle and not go all the way down, but I've always heard to go extra low, also I wear heels a lot is it natural that the heel of my feet always feels like it should be raised when I squat or did I mess something up by wearing shoes all the time?
>>
>>25988879
>but you forgot that the people who browse this board are self destructive losers who only reply to threads about memes and killing themselves.

I haven't forgotten: that's exactly why I'm here.

An angry anon who shouts at me here is still infinitely closer to getting better than if he were shouting at anyone else. I'll take the heat and hope some good comes of it.

People who really want to die, die. I know from personal experience.
>>
>>25988929
>How low should I go on squats? My boss said to squat at a 90 degree angle and not go all the way down

I heard both things too. Personally, if I go lower, my knees hurt less. SL guy says to always break parallel, which means your ass goes lower than your knees. Doing this, my knees hurt less and they're damn sensitive for now, so there must be something to it.

Both can be done I suppose.

As to heels, can you squat without them? I've seen Arnold squat with some ruler thing serving as heels, so who knows.
>>
>>25986652
Wow, a whole 50lbs?
>>
>>25988957
op can you give me a run down on how one goes to the gym? how do i figure out what to do

ik sounds like a stupid question
>>
>>25989053
I don't think I could consistently squat without them it's just especially when I get tired when I squat my heels go up, it just feels natural. And I think my butt goes lower than my knees but I notice when say my boyfriend squats the bar touches the safety (?) part of the rack whereas when I squat it does not.

We're the same height so I always feel like my form is off
>>
Why do I always feel pumped to work out at like 12am but when I wake up I don't even want to go?
>>
I've been going back to the gym the past few weeks and I feel better but I actually want to start building mass on my skinny frame so I'm starting the Starting Strength workout routine on Monday. I haven't done a squat or power clean since high school

Is it imperative I stay away from the Smith rack? I hate free weights mostly because I hate dealing with the heavy bars and shit but I guess it's the only way to gain mass
>>
>>25989137
>Starting Strength
You're not gonna get big doing Staring Strength, just strong
>>
>>25986652
Thanks nick, these threads are a constant motivator, for me at least.
>>
>>25989064
>op can you give me a run down on how one goes to the gym? how do i figure out what to do

Figure if you really want to, first. Depending on what you want, you won't even have to go to the gym.

Otherwise, a gym should normally offer a tour. You can ask for a free tour and they show you around.
>>
>>25989153
>You're not gonna get big doing Staring Strength, just strong

Look, strength is obtained by having more muscle. At first, you can get stronger without getting bigger but only because your nervous central system gets coordinated, meaning it gets better at calling all your existing muscles to perform a task. Eventually, this won't be enough to keep getting stronger, and you will produce more muscle, thus get bigger.

Nobody gets strong without getting bigger.
>>
>>25989163
>Thanks nick, these threads are a constant motivator, for me at least.

Good to know. I can't do it every day but don't hesitate to start threads like this when I'm not around. I'll try as much as possible whenever I can.
>>
Thank you Nick.
I feel slightly better and understand some things. I remember being frustrated at what "3x5" meant and not being able figure it out.
There's a uni gym nearby I'll start attending.
>>
>>25989307
Nah, you can gain mass and muscle without doing starting strength, you're assuming the average dude does six months of a strength based program similar to SS or SL when in reality the average athlete goes into the gym trying to bench as much as possible when they first get started.

A program like that will produce strength gains and allow you to life more on a split, but it's not a necessity to build muscle and a waste of time if you're not interested in being strong and just want to look good.
>>
>>25989375

Great!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate.
>>
File: 1449682367407.jpg (225 KB, 832x1125) Image search: [Google]
1449682367407.jpg
225 KB, 832x1125
>>25989387
>Nah, you can gain mass and muscle without doing starting strength,

Of course. Any program will work better than no program.

>you're assuming the average dude does six months of a strength based program similar to SS or SL when in reality the average athlete goes into the gym trying to bench as much as possible when they first get started.

Anyone who knows what they're doing would do SS rather than bench-pressing only. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I didn't have that in mind. I don't see a connection to what I was saying.

> but it's not a necessity to build muscle and a waste of time if you're not interested in being strong and just want to look good.

It's the most efficient way. Looking good is very subjective, but if you mean looking fit and strong, you will have to acquire strength.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 800x586) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 800x586
>>25989473
There are literally dozens of better ways to improve your aesthetics than doing SS/SL where you'll be strong and look like total shit afterward
>>
File: 1364877749867.jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1364877749867.jpg
85 KB, 640x480
I'm a hungry skeleton @ 5"10, 55kg and a relatively low bodyfat but I'm content with my current build though I've taken to lifting after starting with dumbbells, adopting the stronglifts 5x5, could I keep with my newly found diet of all my macros and generally healthy eating and still progress towards ottermode and increase strength or do I have to gain mass besides muscle?
>>
>>25989511

If you look like shit by becoming stronger, you're doing something wrong. Please explain.
>>
>>25989511

Your pic doesn't show much muscle gains but definitely some fat gains. Reminder that GOMAD is only for skinny, very skinny people.
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 1280x720
>>25989680
Because strength =! mass

Moving a fuck ton of weight isn't going to make you look any better, it's going to make you better at moving a fuck ton of weight.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3pPobZDDA
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 480x640
>>25989702
Why would anyone drink a gallon of milk in a day?
>>
>>25989229
more just to feel not so depressed, that's why. just to feel better.
i guess i wasn't clear. i don't know how to do the exercises. i don't know what exercises to do.
>>
>>25989720
>Moving a fuck ton of weight isn't going to make you look any better, it's going to make you better at moving a fuck ton of weight.

I explained already, but I guess once wasn't enough: more strength = more muscle = more mass.

You can only go so far with improving your CNS with the muscles you currently have; if you want to lift more, you'll have to have more muscles. I certainly nobody, not even you, denies this simple fact.

>Moving a fuck ton of weight isn't going to make you look any better, it's going to make you better at moving a fuck ton of weight.

You will not be able to move more without growing more muscles eventually. Absolute fact.

As to "looking better", what do you mean exactly? What's "looking good" to you? To mean, it means looking strong and healthy, and that's what most people see as "good" to any preferred degree.

If you begin a strength program, you can get stronger without getting bigger, or much bigger, as I said before, but in the long run, you will have to if you intend to get even stronger.
>>
>>25989787

Your pic is someone who doesn't need GOMAD, quite the opposite. Your man needs to lose the fucking weight and certainly not have ANY surplus whatsoever. That's what many people don't get. SS never says to bulk when you're overweight already, GOMAD is for skinny kids who need to gain weight to get healthier.
>>
>>25989817
>he fell for the /fit/ sticky meme
>>
>>25989802
>more just to feel not so depressed, that's why. just to feel better.

Read my guide, you'll be able to decide what you want from it.

Come back to me once you've read it.
>>
Any decent bodyweight routines for beginners? I have access to a gym, but BW exercises look like fun.
>>
If you want to feel better, run. Get that swoll heart.
Lifting weights is a waste of time if you have an adult-sized penis.
>>
File: 1442927473035.jpg (62 KB, 410x298) Image search: [Google]
1442927473035.jpg
62 KB, 410x298
>>25989529
>>25989529
pleaserespondbloxsocks
>>
File: 1450002820394.jpg (922 KB, 1562x4158) Image search: [Google]
1450002820394.jpg
922 KB, 1562x4158
>>25989907
>Any decent bodyweight routines for beginners? I have access to a gym, but BW exercises look like fun.

They're a waste of energy and time for the most part. Do they work? Sure, if you're very weak, and up to a point. Just because it sounds more "natural" doesn't make it so. It's no less "natural" to lift weight that isn't your own.

The guide discusses BW. Personally, I'd only do them short of everything else, but if you have access to a gym, use what it has.

BW exercises that you can do, though:

>pushups

If you can do 20 classic pushups, then give up on bodyweight, you're strong enough to get it on with the BB.
>>
>>25989529
>I'm a hungry skeleton @ 5"10, 55kg and a relatively low bodyfat but I'm content with my current build though I've taken to lifting after starting with dumbbells, adopting the stronglifts 5x5, could I keep with my newly found diet of all my macros and generally healthy eating and still progress towards ottermode and increase strength or do I have to gain mass besides muscle?

No. You don't have to get fat, at all. The surplus people recommend is only there to prove your body has more than it needs, that's literally the only reason to get a bit fatter. You don't have to be fatter. Eat enough protein and you'll be fine.

You might want to consider SS rather than SL, though.
>>
File: 1407798880543.png (56 KB, 485x409) Image search: [Google]
1407798880543.png
56 KB, 485x409
who here /started couple of weeks ago adding 2.5kg every time but its so slow and i wish it was 2-3 months later already reee/
>>
https://youtu.be/4AObAU-EcYE

This series is excellent.
>>
>>25989989
>2.5kg every time

What did you start?
>>
>>25986652
k, OP, how can I go from regular and close pushups to single arm pushups? Give me a regime and a good movement between the two.

I've been trying sort of offset ones (with one arm further out and more weight on a single arm) but kinda plateaued. The different between two and one arm pushups are so great it's hard to find a middle movement.

Also for pullups...

>no gym equipment
>blah blah lift weights, yeah I asked on /fit/ and got told to do something other than what I want to do. I *like* bodyweight exercises, OK? And I don't much care if I get ripped or not, but the idea of being able to do a one arm pushup is cool.
>>
>>25989977
God bless you, friend.
>>
>>25990024
>k, OP, how can I go from regular and close pushups to single arm pushups?

Progression here works the same as with any other strength progression.

In case of difficulty, what I'd recommend is doing more reps per set.

Bottom line is the same, to do a more difficult kind of pushups, you'll need more strength.

You can do the same reps/sets but add weight to yourself (use a backpack, load a belt, anything).

How many classic pushups can you do in a row?
>>
>>25990020
Stronglifts
>>
>>25990065

Welcome! Apologies for missing your post, I stared at the image and forgot all about the text.
>>
>>25990005
>>25989989

We missed the get.
>>
BBL.
Shower time.
>>
>>25990072
>You can do the same reps/sets but add weight to yourself (use a backpack, load a belt, anything).
that's an idea, though I'd rather avoid requiring other objects if possible.

>How many classic pushups can you do in a row?
Really slow with 2 second rest at the bottom, maybe 20.
Maybe 30 or so faster ones.

For pullups, I can do 10 but seriously plateaued and find it really hard to get past that point. But maybe I don't need to if I care about strength and should just find harder movements? or you say in your guide to aim for 20 if its bodyweight?
>>
hey OP i want you to know i lost 1.9kg the first week just by restricting to less than 1,200calories a day. i ate between 1,000cal to 1,1900 cal.

i may raise the cap to 1,250 cal to make it more tolerable. i'm trying to determine my actual BMR though and there are so many different online calculators, each giving different results
>1337
>1337
>1345.54748
>1448.1
>1454
>1454
>1454
>1455
>1850
>2004.57

plus i found this: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7594142
i am a third generation china pureblood.
so if this is study is accurate, my BMR should be
>1405.89

i am female 23, 154cm, last weighed 65.1kg

also i read various different websites about muscle weight loss, and some are claiming i need to eat more protein, some are claiming that if you are losing weight you should eat less protein....what do i do? should i eat more protein? how much should i eat? i want to lose weight and be a bit slimmer, i hope to cut it off around 58kg, but losing muscle weight sounds kinda scary. i dont want to be fragile and weak and be unable to carry stuff.
>>
File: rage.png (19 KB, 443x750) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
19 KB, 443x750
>Gym is closed because of the snow
>>
>>25990317
you burn fat before protein, I shouldn't worry about becoming weak. Probably the people who say that are bodybuilders for whom losing even a tiny amount of muscle is terrible. The only thing you'll feel is stronger as it takes less effort to move and you're not lifting excess fat.

>not OP and probably wrong jus ignore me
>>
testing one two four
>>
>>25990258
>Really slow with 2 second rest at the bottom, maybe 20.

That's a lot of strength already.

Use the chart for bodyweight exercises and do something slightly harder for way less reps.

Then gradually increase.

>For pullups, I can do 10 but seriously plateaued and find it really hard to get past that point.

That is a lot too. Most humans can't do 1 and even among fit people, not everyone can do 8.

If you're doing 5 sets of 10 reps, you should eventually get stronger. Is that what you're doing?

What about protein intake, sleep, etc? Are all these parameters fine?
>>
>>25990317
>hey OP i want you to know i lost 1.9kg the first week just by restricting to less than 1,200calories a day. i ate between 1,000cal to 1,1900 cal.

I can smell success. Nice job! 2 kilos is a lot to lose in a week, it's OK if you're super obese, but otherwise, don't go too fast. Half a kilo a week is nice enough.

> i'm trying to determine my actual BMR though

Write down weight and calories and you'll get a good idea. Here's a calculator which gets me the same BMR I find with my records:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

See what it gives for you, BRM-wise.
>>
>>25990317
>also i read various different websites about muscle weight loss, and some are claiming i need to eat more protein, some are claiming that if you are losing weight you should eat less protein...

Protein-rich food are calorific, yes, but that's beside the problem. You do need calories to maintain muscle and to repair them, grow more, etc. Yes. Protein is essential and is virtually the only thing besides calories that I look at on food labels.

Muscle loss normally only happens if you undereat for long, or starve for days. Losing 2 kilos per week is very, very fast and so you may lose some muscle along the way, but that is easy to get back, memory loss is real. Don't worry about that but eat a little more. Lose half a kilo per week for sheer weightloss and you will be more than all right. At some point, focus on what you see more than what you weigh, as muscle is heavier than fat.

> i want to lose weight and be a bit slimmer, i hope to cut it off around 58kg, but losing muscle weight sounds kinda scary.

Add some calories and you will be all right. Make sure to eat enough protein.

>i dont want to be fragile and weak and be unable to carry stuff.

Of course. No need to lose muscle, just slow down your fatloss by adding some calories per day and if it stabilises at around half a kilo per week, you're fine. Eventually, eat normally, at maintenance, and keep working out.
>>
File: a cute deadlifting.webm (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
a cute deadlifting.webm
1 MB, 720x720
I'll make a list of Rippetoe tutorials with the barbell, this should make many of you feel more likely to give it a try. And it's highly interesting.
>>
OK, Robots, here's one more list of videos for you:

Mark Rippetoe

Introduction to Barbell Training
https://youtu.be/7HRqB30lxmo?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Deadlift
https://youtu.be/4AObAU-EcYE?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Overhead Press
https://youtu.be/CnBmiBqp-AI?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Bench Press
https://youtu.be/4T9UQ4FBVXI?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Power Clean
https://youtu.be/wIB_X2N6020?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Low Bar Squat
https://youtu.be/QhVC_AnZYYM

Basically, these are the main exercises you'll need for SS, taught by the man who wrote the book (accessorily has a degree in geology and anthropology, which few /fit/izens even know because despite fighting stereotypes, everyone just assumes Rippletits is a meathead).

Straight from the source. Fun videos and if you're interested, you will learn a bunch. After watching them a few times, you will feel far more confident and you will know what to look for when performing these movements.
>>
File: 1453659191745.jpg (70 KB, 587x356) Image search: [Google]
1453659191745.jpg
70 KB, 587x356
>>25991133

Little addition to the image for clarity.
>>
>>25986652
Are you the friendly fitizen from before? If yes glad to have you back man. I am that guy who was doing SL 5x5 and had a very low deadlift of 50kg and you showed me that girl who was deadlifting 80kgs. Anyway I switched to Greyskull LP, tomorrow begins my third week in it. What do you think about the routine? I am doing the version with bench/ohp and chinups/curls.
Also I doing dl every session now not putting it on side anymore and I did 65kg friday, for 5 reps in the AMRAP set, felt really hard idk if I should do the same weight for more reps in the AMRAP set or increase to 70kg?
>>
>>25990648
thanks for the reply. I just found the bodyweight chart I will check that out.

I've generally only been doing about 3 sets. I should do more?

I also find I do less on subsequent sets. So maybe 10 the first, then 8 or 7 on the next. With a couple minutes rest between. Doing 10 requires intense focus.

I am pretty light, probably one reason I can do 10 pullups. BMI wise at the bottom end of healthy weight range...

I guess I haven't paid much attention to my diet (except I eat fairly healthily). Can I focus on protein over calories or do I need more of both?

can not eating enough be the sole reason for plateauing?
>>
>>25991267
>Are you the friendly fitizen from before?

Yes, I took a tripfaggy name so you could know when it was me or not, both in threads and across them (I only use it on my threads on this board).

>Anyway I switched to Greyskull LP, tomorrow begins my third week in it. What do you think about the routine?

Nice! I've only heard good things from that program. No personal experience of it myself, but I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

> felt really hard idk if I should do the same weight for more reps in the AMRAP set or increase to 70kg?

if it feels too hard, doing more reps with a lower weight seems the safer route.
>>
>>25991283
>I've generally only been doing about 3 sets. I should do more?

Considering that you're very strong, yes. Do 5 sets. With bodyweights I can do easily, I generally weaken at my 4th set. This is a way to increase strength slowly.

>I also find I do less on subsequent sets. So maybe 10 the first, then 8 or 7 on the next.

Exactly. That means there's room to improve and that's a good thing. Keep at it and you'll be able to do complete sets eventually.

>I am pretty light, probably one reason I can do 10 pullups. BMI wise at the bottom end of healthy weight range...

Quite possibly. I'd advise to gain some weight, as it would be healthier for you, and it would make your bodyweight exercises more efficient also.

>I guess I haven't paid much attention to my diet (except I eat fairly healthily).

Those two things rarely go together. Even if your diet is only made of healthy foods, eating less than enough is unhealthy.

>Can I focus on protein over calories or do I need more of both?

Stop right there! They're not the same thing at all: protein HAVE calories, a calorie is a measure unit, it measures the energy in food; foods that have protein naturally have calories (protein tend to be calorific). You'll always have both. if you could have protein without calories, people would stuff their face with it all the time.

You definitely need to make sure you eat enough calories. Some same a gram per kilo of bodyweight, others say half, I don't even bother, I just try to eat as much protein as I can in a day eating normal food that have it: fish, meat, beans, eggs, etc.

>can not eating enough be the sole reason for plateauing?

Absolutely. In your case, that's most likely the reason. Your body needs to consume more to make muscles.
>>
>>25991173
looks similar to stronglifts

I keep seeing this sort of thing everywhere and desu I'm curious in trying it. I hear it's better for building strength than physique, is this true?
>>
>>25991470
>looks similar to stronglifts

SL is based on SS. SS was conceived by Mark Rippetoe, who's like the Pope of strength.

If you want to see it in a negative way, SL is a simplified version of SS, which was already simple as hell, and some say SL is worse. To be honest, they're so similar that it only matters when you're advanced, but SS has some explosive strength exercises, the power clean, for instance, that SL doesn't have.

Also, Rippetoe knows his shit more than the SL guy. No hard feelings towards him, though.

Rippetoe has been training all sorts of people for over 30 years and his program results from this experience.

> I hear it's better for building strength than physique, is this true?

Yes and no. The thing is: building strength is what makes a body esthetic. Muscles is where it's at. Bodybuilders go for a different thing eventually, but they generally start with building strength first, and doing all sorts of faggy isolation exercises later on.

In that sense, yes, it's more for strength than for "physique", but that's only if you're thinking bodybuilding bullshit. If you want to see the extreme of doing SS and such, you'll get pic-related, who looks lightyears better than any bodybuilder.
>>
>>25990393
What kind of a nigger gym do you have a membership at that isn't open 24 hours and closes over weather?
>>
>>25991619
>closes over weather?

If he's American or Canadian and lives up north, you might be talking about a LOT of snow. As in: physical impossibility to even reach the gym.
>>
>>25991430
thanks for the advice man.
>>
>>25991871

Most welcome!
>>
>>25991345
Thank you, glad to have you back r9k needs you, guess I will go try again 1 plate again wednesday, maybe it will feel easier if I stick to eating good for bulking
What have you been up to?
>>
File: shirtless.jpg (191 KB, 1143x857) Image search: [Google]
shirtless.jpg
191 KB, 1143x857
>be twink. Know girls find that shit gross
>decide to work out to get bigger
> gain 50 pounds.
> pic is me.
> still feel like no girl would find me attractive.

working out doesn't fix brain problems or body issues people.
>>
>>25991666
My Canadian gym is open no matter what, regardless if there's 4 feet of snow or 70mph winds. Barely even staffed anyway.
>>
>>25991927
>working out doesn't fix brain problems or body issues people.

You sound like that troll from weeks ago. Are you sure this is you in the picture?

Timestamp on a new picture, if you would.

Also, what program did you follow and for how long?
>>
>>25991940
>My Canadian gym is open no matter what, regardless if there's 4 feet of snow or 70mph winds. Barely even staffed anyway.

So much for me.
>>
>>25991927
Nice hairless chest girlboy. even if I got ripped I have a big scar on the right side of my stomach

>>25991940
Canuck here. Same, my gym is open 24/7 even on holidays and is unstaffed after 9pm. It's only $10 canuck bucks a month and has all the equipment you could ask for.
>>
I'm about 3 lbs away from what I think my ideal body weight is. I'll have a BMI of 24. When I started exercising I had a %body fat of 16 and was 30 lbs heavier. Once I hit that weight, I'm going to assume my fat is still high. In terms of calories, I've been restricting by about 500 daily. Should I continue to restrict at goal weight to stimulate fat loss or up calories and keep exercising in the hopes muscle will replace fat? Thanks for these threads
>>
>>25992347
>Trying this hard
wew lad just lift with your bros and have a good time
>>
>>25990687
>Write down weight and calories and you'll get a good idea
Do you mean, to take a forumla from the internet and count it oldschool style pencil on paper?
From your website,
>You need 1,838 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
>You need 1,338 Calories/day to lose 0.5 kg per week.

>>25990741
>Make sure to eat enough protein.
How much is enough? If i overeat protein will there be a problem?

>>25990741
>Losing 2 kilos per week is very, very fast
I was told that they were mostly 'water weight loss' because 1 gram of fat is bound to 3 grams of water. The 1.9kg loss was literally my first week of weight loss.
>>
>>25992038
How much cardio is too much? I am at the gym 5 times a week and jog on the treadmill for roughly 30 minutes doing 6 minute km. Is this too much. I then lift afterwards and don't feel tired or anything.
>>
File: 20160124_131634.jpg (112 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
20160124_131634.jpg
112 KB, 1024x576
>>25992021
I don't know what the hell you're talking about but if it'd put your mind at ease, here

For years I did basic bodybuilding routine. 5 day split. Went 3x5 heavy on deadlifts squats bench and ohp. Had an arms and abs day. Still following that but recenetly switched to 5/3/1

I'm also not trying to troll but the /fit/ mentality of "girls will be jumping on your dick and you'll feel great." just isn't true. I'm glad I work out, but don't create false expectations.
>>
>>25992039
I shaved it once to see what I looked like. Big mistake because that shit fucking itches when it grows back, so I keep shaving it.
>>
>>25992581
>day month year
>>
>>25992561
I lift first and then do cardio (if I feel like it which is not enough) but to each his own. Lifting 5 times a week seems like a bit much, you gotta give yourself recovery time. 30 minutes of cardio a day is pretty based though. I wish I could stand the hamster wheel for that long but I've become accustomed to biking which is a hell of a lot more fun. Unfortunately it's winter now so I can't do that.
>>
>>25992039

>scar

Chicks dig scars, it's true.
>>
>>25992347
>or up calories and keep exercising in the hopes muscle will replace fat?

Continue restricting, muscle WILL "replace" fat that way no matter what. Enough protein despite a caloric deficit and you will be fine.
>>
>>25992526
>Do you mean, to take a forumla from the internet and count it oldschool style pencil on paper?

I do pen and paper on my fridge.

>>25992526
>1,838

Is that the BMR? If so, take 400 from it and it should work. If it doesn't, take some more. These things are just general guidance.

>>25992526
>How much is enough? If i overeat protein will there be a problem?

No, you'd just poop it. If you're around 60 kilos, anywhere between 30 to 60 grams per day and you'll be fine.

>>25992526
>I was told that they were mostly 'water weight loss' because 1 gram of fat is bound to 3 grams of water. The 1.9kg loss was literally my first week of weight loss.

Water weight is tricky and I'm not convinced it's not mostly BS, since there's water in our weight no matter what. Given how less you ate, it's real weightloss.
>>
>>25992561
>How much cardio is too much? I am at the gym 5 times a week and jog on the treadmill for roughly 30 minutes doing 6 minute km. Is this too much. I then lift afterwards and don't feel tired or anything.

If it were too much, your body would let you know somehow. If you're doing fine, then it isn't too much. The question is more: are you making progress? Do you run longer before you get tired? Do you lift heavier?
>>
>>25992581

All right, sorry for doubting you.

How many girls actually get to see that bod?
>>
>>25989473
holy crap, that dude looks unaesthetic as fuck. in fact, the only aesthetic thing about him is his abs/v-line
>>
>>25993556
>holy crap, that dude looks unaesthetic as fuck.

That'd be a matter of taste. Post what you consider esthetic, just so I can have a frame of reference.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-24+at+03.01.09).png (64 KB, 853x710) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-24+at+03.01.09).png
64 KB, 853x710
is this a good workout regiment or is it too intense?
LSD-long slow distance
CHI- continuous high intensity
INT-interval
seems like its running or swimming everyday with upper, lower, core, core upper, lower interspersed.
>>
Does anyone have experience with wifi scales?

I'd like to track how much I'm losing but I'm a lazy fucker and don't want to have to write anything down.
>>
>>25993036
>Given how less you ate, it's real weightloss.
Tfw im still eating more than mom
Tfw im still fatter than her
Why didnt i inherit mom's skinniness

I digress, thanks for the info and help as usual OP. Your positivity is really amazing too. i would ask you out but i dont live in europe
>>
>>25993662

It doesn't specify anything on the strength part... It's not a program.

I'd be wary mixing both like that, especially if you're a beginner.
>>
File: be it.gif (937 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
be it.gif
937 KB, 500x382
>>25993659
greg plitt was fuarking aesthetics, but he roided. tinytrip probably had one of the best bodies ive seen natty
>>
>>25993713
>I'd like to track how much I'm losing but I'm a lazy fucker and don't want to have to write anything down.

I got bad news...
>>
>>25993796
its in a pdf
http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf
im not necessarily a beginner but i wanted to try something new and i wanted to add more cardio
>>
>>25993748

You flatter me.

Looking forward to seeing you progress! Keep me updated!
>>
>>25993818
Well, I've actually already lost a few kg, but the scales are in the bathroom, and it gets steamy in there sometimes so I can't really keep a pen and paper in there.

Also I like buying pointless technology since there's fuck all to spend my money on.
>>
>>25993813
>>25993659
also, to add on to that, aesthetics definitely does not equal strength. ive seen aesthetic as fuck dudes focusing only on isolations and stuff while not touching overheds, deds, or squats. also, a lot of it has to do with genetics and insertions. >>25992581 dont know how long this dude has been working out but he either isnt doing something right or just has bad genetics/insertions
>>
>>25993813

Do the same program as previous pic, and cut more. That's it.
>>
>>25993841

I think the general advice is to do cardio after your work out, not before, but don't quote me on that. I'd personally do it on rest days from lifting.
>>
>>25993813
Do I have to grab my nuts I feel like that would be uncomfortable sir
>>
>>25993866
>Well, I've actually already lost a few kg, but the scales are in the bathroom, and it gets steamy in there sometimes so I can't really keep a pen and paper in there.

What I do is this: weigh myself in the morning after peepeepoopoo and when I get to the kitchen to drink, I write down my weight. Surely you do something similar.
>>
>>25993887
not a ton. Wear nice fitting t-shirts. I've cosplayed a shirtless dude before. I live in the Canadian prairies so not much of a chance to show it off. I went to an american con with the cosplay and I did notice that american girls are way more forward with you.

>>25993090

Well my genetics aren't the best. I have six inch wrists. Keep in mind I started lifting when I was 6'1 120 pounds and that was about 4 years ago.
>>
>>25994047
Well I weigh myself before I get in the shower, since no clothes. Then after shower I forget about everything entirely.
>>
>>25993887
>. ive seen aesthetic as fuck dudes focusing only on isolations and stuff while not touching overheds, deds, or squats. also,

It all depends on what you mean by esthetic. It so happens that my taste matches strength and I find Strongmen better looking than bodybuilders, and in that case, strength and esthetics are a perfect match. There's no muscle without strength, but there are less efficient muscles which work in isolation exclusively, yes.

Bodybuilders have limited strength, it's not what they're after. They're not esthetic to me, though, nor are they to most people.
>>
>>25994048
>Well my genetics aren't the best. I have six inch wrists.

I'm the same but it was never a problem. I still have thin wrists, but the rest is growing nicely.
>>
>>25994062
>Well I weigh myself before I get in the shower,

Bad idea. Always weigh after you shat and pissed.
>>
>>25993951
im good bruh, i already lift and look quit joocy if i do say so myself, just stoppin by outta curiosity
>>
>>25994119
Naturally I also do that before showering, I'm not one of those guys who just shits while having a shower.

I get that I should probably just adjust when I weigh myself though.
>>
>>25994144

Cool. Stick around.
>>
File: watching the game.gif (804 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
watching the game.gif
804 KB, 500x281
>>25993987
gotta go ALL. THE. WAYYY
>>
Nick, please help me out - I can't do keto because it's far too strict for me.

I'm skinnyfat. I have man tits, and look like I'm pregnant. Been lifting a while but I got a hernia so deadlifts/squats are out of the question. Would eating 1800 cals (Basal rate is 2300) still build muscle if I lift since I have so much fucking fat in me/around my organs?
>>
>>25994286
5'10 155 pounds

Not an original comment apparently
>>
>>25994286
>Nick, please help me out - I can't do keto because it's far too strict for me.

Good news, you don't have to.

>Would eating 1800 cals (Basal rate is 2300) still build muscle if I lift since I have so much fucking fat in me/around my organs?

Yes. You don't need fat. By definition. Fat is energy you don't need. Your body stores extra calories as fat. People recommend a surplus just to make sure your body has all it needs (actually having fat proves that, since it's extra energy), that's all. You need protein and working out for muscle growth. Being a skinnyfat, you can cut and lose fat while making gains.

Answer is yes, absolutely.
>>
>>25994350
Been so depressed for so long. If I stop being skinnyfat I can finally move on with my life man.
Please make more threads, you're encouraging and a good man
>>
File: 1451420680266.jpg (317 KB, 650x2600) Image search: [Google]
1451420680266.jpg
317 KB, 650x2600
>>25994405
>Been so depressed for so long. If I stop being skinnyfat I can finally move on with my life man.

Any progress, in anything, will show you that you can. That's priceless. You won't regret it.

Count your calories, be steadfast, don't give up even if you sometimes fuck up, and in the long run, you will succeed.

I'll be there along the way. I too need to lose some fat, especially after these holidays and my failed attempts at resisting Nutella jars.

We're gonna make it!
>>
155lbs 5'7" cut or bulk? i get around ~100g of protein a day or so and i am eating at a slight surplus, think i should get more but dunno how else, already drink the protein powder.

i dont know why i feel like i cant make progressions, people tell me my form is fine but i still keep struggling with adding weight and im not even at 1pl8 bench yet, at 115lbs right now
>>
Not OP, but guys, keep it up and we'll all make it. Being able to control the state and exterior appearance of your body feels really, really, good - you are in control of yourself. You can practise the restrain and discipline to mold your body to what you want. You become healthy. THAT is what feels good. It's not because of girls or because of normies. It's for yourself.
>>
>>25994553
>155lbs 5'7" cut or bulk? i get around ~100g of protein a day or so and i am eating at a slight surplus, think i should get more but dunno how else, already drink the protein powder.

Sounds a bit heavy, but you'll know better: do you look like you got extra fat? If so, cut. You don't need to be fat to get strong.

>>25994553
>i dont know why i feel like i cant make progressions,

Try increasing reps if you can't add weight. Don't go too fast, either.
>>
File: 1451749183754.jpg (98 KB, 609x960) Image search: [Google]
1451749183754.jpg
98 KB, 609x960
>>25994619
>Being able to control the state and exterior appearance of your body feels really, really, good - you are in control of yourself

This. Knowing that you can literally look awesome way into your 50's and beyond will make you feel young forever too.

I support this post.
>>
Reminder that the email address I used to give is still valid but that it doesn't let me respond.

I could use another address to respond with, though.
>>
Guys, I'm off for tonight. For any extra questions, you can write to

[email protected]

And I'll either respond to you somehow, or keep your email and respond when safemail finally works.

Good night everyone!
>>
this guy again >>25991430

I'm 6'1 and around ~150lbs. Is there a weight I should I aim for?

Can you recommend any good protein/calorie giving snacks that are somehow easy to eat OP? what about protein shakes and stuff are they worthwhile? are there recommended brands?

I hate milk. Also vegetarian...
>>
File: 1421632094080.jpg (333 KB, 1632x1375) Image search: [Google]
1421632094080.jpg
333 KB, 1632x1375
How does someone learn martial arts with 0 human interaction?
>>
File: 1439146433950.jpg (58 KB, 580x679) Image search: [Google]
1439146433950.jpg
58 KB, 580x679
>>25994864
>I hate milk. Also vegetarian...
>>
>>25994888
I would like to know to. I guess there is is no answer however. Attacking a punch bag might have some benefit.

What's with "do you want to learn how to fight?" in that picture? Ones on left don't involve sparring, how does that work?
>>
>>25995063
When I hear "fight", I think fighting black and brown people that may accost me in the streets, not sparring.
>>
Any tips for someone who legit is /fit/ illiterate? I know nothing about lifting, not even what a good routine would be. Especially since there's half a million different "do my workout" type shit out there.
>>
>>25995166
Pick things up, put things down.
>>
>>25994888
>tfw once went to a ninjutsu trial course lesson
>trained by ninjutsu master and sensei Steve
>first lesson
>it's very important to walk similarly to how a crab would

Ninjutsu is horseshit.
>>
>>25986652
Wow Nick I thought you were gone for good since everyone was calling you out for not knowing shit about program and giving shit db programs to robots.
>>
File: 1451438729842.jpg (36 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
1451438729842.jpg
36 KB, 500x352
>>25986652
Whether you're a hack or not, you brought me motivation (well enough to start at least) with your dumbbell exercises. I've been lifting for more than 3 weeks now and running, went from 105kg to 99 since January 1st, and noticed a slight increase in strength.
I've been watching tons of Scooby videos and made my own program. So glad you're back anyway.
>>
Just a disclaimer to anyone in this thread: the resident tripfaggot on this thread is giving poor and opionated advice on some topics. I'm not going into detail since I'm reading this thread with a phone. Take all this with a grain of salt and go browse /fit/ for more information.
>>
>>25997053
stay the fuck off of /fit/ you pathetic robots.
there is nothing worse than robots posting on fit and bringing your toxic reee shit there.
>>
File: 1446842414995.jpg (40 KB, 576x406) Image search: [Google]
1446842414995.jpg
40 KB, 576x406
>tfw you can't pull-up even once

Robots help, my dad always makes fun of me for not being able to do a pull-up. My bmi is slightly in the underweight category because I'm skinny, but my muscles are basically non-existent.
>>
>>25998146
Lift yourself as much as you possibly can until you can do one. If that means doing half a pullup until you can do 2/3rds of a pullup then you do that. As long as you strain yourself and keep doing it eventually you will be able to do a full pullup. Hell someday you'll even be able to do TWO!
>>
>>25998146
>tfw i dont even have anything to pull myself up on
>>
>>25998375
I don't either. I tried to go out and find a bar or something to pull-up on, but there are non on playgrounds nearby. I also got stopped by the police because I walked into some dead-end road and they searched my backpack for 'spray cans'.
>>
>>25998146
Walk the planks
Watch Scooby's videos
>>
>>25998605
>I also got stopped by the police because I walked into some dead-end road and they searched my backpack for 'spray cans'.
Fuck your rights against unreasonable search and seizure. Should have told them you didn't consent.
>>
File: 3590.jpg (44 KB, 700x516) Image search: [Google]
3590.jpg
44 KB, 700x516
>>25986652

>fitness

>posting crossfit athletes, the scientologists and wannabe athletes of the 21st century

how about you post someone that robots could aspire to be, such as pic related?
>>
Will getting fit with cardio make me sweat less?
>>
>>25986718
This is not true at all and dangerous to even say. Yes, you can limit calories entering your body, but the human body is so inefficient that it'd eat muscle first before eating away your fat.
>>
I posted here about a month ago asking about what to do if I had literally zero equipment and confidence to enter a Gym. Basically the first thing I've started doing is cut on all junk food and sugar ingest, including sugary drinks. Plus I've started to in less quantities than I used to, and stopped asking for seconds, even if the food is really good.

I've also started doing body weight exercises every other day, making sure to leave one day to resting. I haven't weighted myself because I don't expect instant results and if I end up gaining weight for some reason I might get discouraged. That said, I have already noticed a decrease in fat around my lower abdomen so that's given me enough confidence to assure this won't be something temporary and that I'll make sure eating properly and doing exercise become part of my life.

That's all my blog for now.
>>
>>25990258
if you can do 10 pullups in a row, it is a good time to start doing weighted pullups. That makes it way easier to progress than trying to do more regular pullups.
>>
>>26000568
>being this ignorant
No you idiot, your body burns fat before muscle. You defeatist fat apologists make me sick
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.