[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here been to see a therapist? Did it help? Any advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 18k2c5f0m2zzcjpg.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
18k2c5f0m2zzcjpg.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
Has anyone here been to see a therapist? Did it help? Any advice?
>>
It depends on a lot of variables. Could you describe your situation in more detail and why you think you might want to see one?
>>
I went to the therapy my community college offers. It didn't help, the bitch was a land whale who dressed badly and seemed as depressed as i was. I did tell her all my problems but only to get out of her office in the verge of tears go home and cry a lot. I would rather not think about this shit, so by being there she actually makes you get it all out, fuck that.
>>
>>25960717
Depressed, realising I'm never going to do anything to fix it without help.
>>
>See therapist for a 1 hour visit
>Lasts 15 minutes
>Says I should go to rehab before seeing him again
It was incredibly humiliating and made me extremely depressed. I don't suggest it.
>>
File: CWqO0UKU8AAkCVc.png (185 KB, 340x553) Image search: [Google]
CWqO0UKU8AAkCVc.png
185 KB, 340x553
>spend a shit ton of money on a session with a therapist
>didn't help at all and actually made me want to kill myself even more for being stupid enough to waste money on it
don't bother, "professionals" aren't worth your time and money.
>>
>>25961160
At least I'm in the UK, so I should get it for free. Does anyone know what the protocol for drugs is here? Are they likely to prescribe antidepressants or do you have to be really fucked up for that?
>>
File: 1453182845137.jpg (25 KB, 318x332) Image search: [Google]
1453182845137.jpg
25 KB, 318x332
>>25960601
Talk to friends/family first if possible.
Unless it's like an actual chemical imbalance in your brain, therapists will usually just want to bring your family in so you can talk your issues out yourselves while they mediate.

I had a therapist for awhile in high school and it was a waste of time because my issues were with my family, not my brain.
But if you think you've got a real psyche issue then sure, see one.
>>
>>25961092
Are you a student? Most schools have a counseling office that provide free therapy while you are there. If so, I would advise at least trying to meet with a couple (or until you meet one that seems helpful after a session). It's a personality compatibility thing.

If you are not a student the financial tradeoff become a larger concern. Many people go to one therapist and just stop forever because of a bad experience. And it might make sense for them to stop, because it gets expensive to shop, and they might just not be at a point where therapy will help them much compared to the alternative. But if you are in a difficult situation and have tried other options to no avail, you never know what will happen.

Most therapists will be trained to deliver the same cbt either way, but therapy offers human interaction that is supposed to make you feel better as well. Otherwise, you could get a lot of that stuff out of books. I might recommend trying the latter first if your situation above warrants it. But I can't stress enough that intellectualizing about it is not the same as sitting there and talking it out.
>>
>>25961274
They will prescribe you anti depressants easily just don't make them think you are dangerous to yourself otherwise your gonna have more problems
>>
>>25961318
Forgot to add that a professional will be poised to recommend medication. SSRIs are theoretically hard to abuse, so most won't have reservations about prescribing them ASAP. But they are more helpful to some than others (and the variance is higher than therapy), and there are apparently lots of different ones that have different effects.
>>
>>25961318
I am a student but I'm wary of going to the uni counselor, I mean they cheap out on everything I can't imagine they bother passing someone decent. And I don't want this shit getting muddled up with coursework.

I don't have like a major issue, nothing traumatic caused this.
>>
I know it sounds like I just want an easy fix but I feel like meds would help me. I've read plenty of stuff and I'm pretty aware of my issues, I just have no motivation to go about fixing them.
>>
>>25960601
No, it did not help.
She would say that I was anxious when I was extremely calm and blunt the whole time. While she was clearly anxious.
When I told her what she was saying was wrong because of this and that, she told me, passive-aggressively, I did not need to consult her if I did not wanted.
So, basically, a psychologist doing projection and confirmation biased. She had a master's degree in a shitty university.
>>
>>25961420
I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say it will "get muddled up with coursework." Could you elaborate?

If it is free, you have little to lose by trying at least once.
>>
It helped me get rid of the pain and now I'm emotionless, like a robot
>>
>>25961539
Idk I'd just prefer it to be separate from uni. I'm also worried someone might find out or see me visiting them if it's on site or something like that.
>>
told me within the first session that I likely have bipolar.

by the third session she was obviously sick of seeing me because I couldn't really bring myself to talk her properly and was generally really awkward.

Gave me a referall to a psychiatrist for my bipolar but I never went and they kept calling my house for a few weeks.
>>
>>25961609
Your counseling records should be confidential, which I think is typical provided you are in the United States. I'm not sure about other countries. Your school will probably give you a waiver or privacy statement should you choose to pursue those services, so reading that will give you more information about how the University handles your information. Sometimes they will even ask if it is okay to contact you via email, phone, etc. (meaning that they will not contact you using the information if you don't want them to). If your school neglects to do any of the above, then I might be more wary.

As for running into someone there by chance... Ultimately you just have to ask yourself, "so what?" The people you see there will be there for the same reason.

Having to pay for it makes it more complicated to decide if it is worth it or not.
>>
do therapy unless you don't want a comfy gov. Job
>>
>>25961717
Tbh I should research it more, if it takes place in my university building I won't be comfortable. If it's somewhere else and the waiting list for an NHS one is too long I might give it a go.
>>
>>25960601
>Going to a therapist when you can JewTube/Gewgle everything that's wrong with you.
>>
stop seeing therapist, they are not helping you.

only thing a therapist is interested in is putting you jew pills, to "treat" you from an affliction you don't have.

if you want real help, see a psychologist.
a psychologist understands people, a therapist does not.
>>
>>25962256
Do you understand how those terms are defined? Perhaps you might want to direct your (probably misplaced) anger towards psychiatrists instead?
>>
I'm so confused, I'm a bit suicidal and might want to talk to someone to get help/drugs so who should I got see?
A therapist?
A psychologist?
A psychiatrist?
>>
>>25962391
a therapist is pure counseling and talking things out

a psychiatrist will give you medicine

they're both psychologists, psychologist is just a broad term

a therapist can refer you to a psychiatrist if they think you need it
>>
>>25962256
What's the difference and how do I know which one to see? Therapist, counselor, psychiatrist, psychologist, I see them all used interchangeably. I's it not basically just a different qualification?
>>
>>25962409
Oh thanks you answered as I was typing
>>
>>25962409
So I pretty much have to spend double the money if I want pills to force me to be a bit happier?
>>
>>25962415
that guy is a retard

therapist, counselor, and psychologist are one in the same
psychiatrist is a psychologist who is medically trained and able to prescribe medicine
>>
>>25962438
That makes sense, so see a psychiatrist if you want the druqs
>>
>>25960601
It was useless
''You just have to go out stop using your pc make friends!''
wew I didnt know that was the problem
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.