[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15
So this is my first time on r9k. Not sure what to post so, here's a picture of 4 robots doing robot things. I work in Maintenance in a welding facility.
>>
>>25949413
I like robots, they aren't bogged down by emotions. I want to live my life like a real robot, they are my idols.
>>
>>25949480
emotion means nothing to my robots. Only logic.
>>
>>25949529
I like these robots
>>
>>25949529
>purple tint
HTC One M7?
>>
>>25949649
yes fml. lol.

have some material handlers
>>
material handler next to weld robot for comparison. weld robot is on a raised platform.
>>
>>25949621
MERCI TWINGO
MERCI TWINGO
MERCI TWINGO
>>
>>25949684
What company do you work for anon?
>>
>>25949808
Canadian based automotive supplier. I'm not real keen on giving out personal info, and the fact I don't think I'm supposed to be sending pictures out of our customers property lol.
>>
this is a feels thread for neet robots like myself

wagekeks (workers) like you are not welcome here

also the same aplies if you have a girlfriend

now i cant force you to leave but take a good look at the catalog and you'll get it
>>
>>25949841
Do you like working there? Do you want anything more out of life?
>>
>>25949889
Love it. they are paying for my college through an apprenticeship program. Money is good, I enjoy the work. The only thing is the physical wear on my body but hey, I'm young.

>>25949870
I do not understand anon :( why can't we be friends. Also cannot into catalog cuz chanu app.
>>
>>25949944
Checked those digits.

May I ask how old you are?
>>
>>25950016
26 next month.

I started here as a temporary at 22. hired at 23 and made team leader the same year. ran my own production line for about 2 years. went and ran my own 2700 ton transfer press for over a year. I went back to team lead because press bay fucking sucked and then got into the apprenticeship program for maintenance. I like working with my hands, and learning. robots are cool as fuck too.
>>
>>25949413

>First time on /r9k/

LEAVE WHILE YOU CAN THIS IS NOT A FUCKING JOKE IT WILL SUCK YOU IN TO THE POINT OF NO RETURN
>>
>>25949413
>manual labor
My personal nightmare. I really hope I get a deskjob in two years.
>>
>>25950147
Manual labor? I'm a maintenance technician, not an operator. I get to play with robots mostly.

>>25950134
meh. I browse /k/ a lot and lurk some on /b/
need something to do while at work and bored anyways.
>>
>>25950147
if you want to make good money and mostly just use a computer, take some PLC classes. Good money, perfect for a young single guy. Get to travel the state's doing contract work
>>
>>25950113
Sounds pretty cool Anon. I like robots too but I'm too retarded to even get an arduino to work properly.
>>
>>25950248
I have no idea what that is. googled it and got more confused. didn't read in very deep though. its super easy man. just have to understand XYZ. Most of it is backing up through a program and changing a bad tip and putting it back where it belongs. but it's way more than just robots. Pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical, PLC. Robots is just the most interesting. plus the teacher pendants are pretty informative.
>>
>>25950310
Manual/CNC machinist here. Hello brother
>>
>>25950680
you come from a Dying breed man. how goes it?
>>
What's in the pic? It looks pretty cool.

Also what are teacher pedants?
>>
File: 16919462662_71dcf4893b_h.jpg (756 KB, 1600x1060) Image search: [Google]
16919462662_71dcf4893b_h.jpg
756 KB, 1600x1060
>>25950680
>>25950821
Sup guys, got room for a fabricator?
>>
>>25951211
which pic? Teach Pendant is >>25950310
It is for teaching the robot what to do. also controls the robots. you can move them with it. that one is for a motoman, this one in
>pic related
is for FANUC
>>
>>25951314
hello fellow weldfag. I can MIG, and halfass stick weld.
>>
>>25951321
That looks really cool. Do you have to know programming languages?
>>
>>25949413
how did you get your job?
>>
>>25951375
Damn, that thing looks like a beast.

Bizarrely enough, I've only ever used a TIG. The shop I used to work at (where my pic was from) was a motorsports shop and worked mostly with relatively exotic metals (stainless, cromoly, aluminum, etc), so 99% of our work was TIG. We had a MIG but I never actually used it.
>>
>>25951427
to write some of the more complex programs yes. I believe it's KAREL. I'm not 100% sure on that. As for normal maintenance, no. you just manually move it using the XYZ jog buttons, which all correspond to a certain axis. (SLURBT)
>>
>>25951455
check
>>25950113

Short answer, got a job at a factory as a temporary and got hired full time, then moved up to maintenance
>>
>>25951469
I think TIG is the hardest and if you can do that, you can do anything. But, I haven't learned TIG yet.
>>
>>25951505
yeah but how did you get job as temporary in the first place?
job application?
connections?
>>
>>25951539
staffing company. There are tons of staffing companies that will put you at a factory. pay is usually shit starting out but it's a foot in the door. just look for staffing companies around you. usually have a name like Quality Personnel, Liberty Staffing, Easy Staff. shit like that.
>>
>>25951586
and how do you approach them?
do you have to find out where their HQ is and show up with a resume?
>>
>>25951539
But, yes, you do an application at their business, and usually a knowledge test. (easy stuff) and a drug test.
>>
>>25951608
If you have a resume yes that's great. usually they have a office where you do an application and turn in a resume. look in yellow pages for staffing companies, and call them and ask what time and days they do applications
>>
Less pleasant side of my job. Electrical cabinet. fuck troubleshooting electical.
>>
>>25951608
What is it you want to do, anon? Just work in a factory or work specifically with robots? Or just any job?
>>
>>25951860
well I'm a recent electrical engineering graduate so I would like to do something engineering related or do coding but I've come to realize that I dug myself into a corner and thats just a pipedream now
A combination of low grades, low social skills and being unable to secure an internship has made me bottom of the barrel as far university graduates go.
After some introspection I've come to the conclusion that I irrecoverably fucked up and the only thing I can do now is cut your losses and move on

in short: yeah I'll take any job , the prospect of me living on the streets once my dad dies is very real so I need a job, ANY job.
>>
>>25952161
as long as you've graduated, you're good. I assume you took PLC classes as well?
>>
>>25952246
>I assume you took PLC classes as well?
I have experience in programming FPGAs in verilog,
though every example or diy project I see online for things is in VHDL , made me wonder why they made us use verilog.
>>
>>25952292
I don't know much about PLC yet. I know we use the RSlogix program from Allen Bradley. if you know PLC you can get a contractor job. use like monster our whatever else staffing/job website. that is of you have no problem with traveling. also turn in resumes at any factory around.
>>
>>25952292
http://m.monster.com/job-openings/161980604?mescoid=1500127001001&jvrdold=true
>>
>>25952292
>>25952399
example of our PLC
>>
>>25952399
>use like monster our whatever else staffing/job website.
Oh I threw my resume around at monster and a dozen other job boards for about 8 months
I'd like to do technical work at least but if a staffing company says the only job it can get me is delivering newspapers or moping up floors, then so be it, my father's health is fading and i don't have the luxury of time anymore.
>>
>>25952574
>>25952246
ok I got PLC confused with PLD, not the same thing.
>>
>>25952655
well then I'd say apply to any staffing company. I know around here we get a lot of temps on a weekly basis. Remember, getting the job you want is all about selling yourself. You are THE man for the job. You can do the job the best. Even if you start as a temp, its easy to move up to a skilled job. Also, the plant I work at is actually 1 PLC tech short...
>>
>>25952708
http://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/plc-pic-pld-what-is-the-difference-between-them-nt.125715/
>>
>>25950189
>I browse /k/
>Breddy gud job from the looks of it
You are 100% welcome here, we need more /k/ommandos that have something to talk about to join in. On an unrelated note, did it require you any college course to get there, or technical school ?
>>
>>25953204
I got into the apprenticeship program that my company offers. they pay for college (community college/technical school) and books, and I have to continue working for them. 4 years of school (or less depending how much you want to overwork yourself) and 8000 hours on the job. in the end I'll have my degree, a journeyman card for industrial maintenance, and be a state certified electrician.
>>
>>25953204
also, the state I am in does not require a degree for industrial maintenance. some do.
>>
>>25953259
also. when I say I got in, I mean recently. just at the end of last year.
>>
Anyone know how hard it is to convert cell phone video to gif or webm? can I do it from my phone while at work? I'd like to show how the teach pendant works and moves the robot
>>
>>25953559
PRobably have to upload it to a website, make a gif, then download that and post. Sounds awesome.
>>
>>25953559
the tool I use to make webm is "WebM for Retards" though I think its called something else now since github forced them to change the name for being politically incorrect.
>>
>>25953719
>>25953789
I will probably record some videos then convert and post them the next time I make a thread. Glad that I actually had a successful thread.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.