[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /r9k/ Psychiatrist gave me a prescription for citalopram.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: 1451855430746.jpg (72 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1451855430746.jpg
72 KB, 500x375
Sup /r9k/

Psychiatrist gave me a prescription for citalopram. Any experience with it? Mainly looking to get rid of the vague emptiness and anxiety
>>
I have never ever heard of anyone who actually needed psychiatric help ever receiving any sort of true long term benefit. This includes myself. The placebo affect is a real thing, none of the medications work.
>>
>>25875406

I hope it numbs me down a bit. Tired of feeling every little thing. I am way too emotional. Just hoping it has real value instead of just another placebo.
>>
>>25875459
Good luck, every single psychiatrist I have ever seen hasn't even been able to diagnose me so I've long given up going to them. Who knows though, you hear people citing bullshit statistics that 80% of depression cases are "cured." Try it out, if it doesn't work they probably have a laundry list of pills in mind. It's all trial and error, eventually you might find something that works for you, so if you have any faith in it I guess just keep going.
>>
>citalopram

>anxiety
Works great for it. Within 3 weeks my social anxiety was gone. I went from being quiet in class to being one of the top contributors in class discussions. I would hit on random chicks without a second thought.

>vague emptiness
Really increased this alot for me. Everything began to have this dream-like quality to it and I couldnt escape the feeling that nothing really mattered whatsoever, which helps I guess with anxiety but is a pretty uncomfortable state after a while so I did away with the pills and wheened myself off of them.
>>
>>25875613
The anxiety part will be probably be good enough for me to stick through with it. Thanks for the input.

>>25875556
Thanks, I'll find something that works sooner than later.
>>
File: 1453223862434.gif (312 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1453223862434.gif
312 KB, 480x360
>>25875370
I've taken a number of antidepressants, including citalopram
They never did anything for me besides make my anxiety and insomnia worse, while also making me suicidal.
after the 4th failed antidepressant I decided to learn about the pharmacology of psychiatric medication. The eventual conclusion I came up with: avoid all serotonin drugs for depression, they're barely better than placebo and often have terrible side effects.
>>
>>25875749
I think it's worth a try. I got nothing to lose.
>>
>>25875749
do you think effexor can be effective?
>>
File: 1452912955866.jpg (44 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1452912955866.jpg
44 KB, 251x231
>>25875790
I guess you have a point
perhaps it will help you

just remember to stop taking it if things get worse

good luck anon
>>
>>25875790
>I got nothing to lose
>http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/serotonin-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20028946
>>
They made me numb, manic, impulsive, broken dick, fragmented memory, horrible brain zapping withdrawals, etc.

I remember being asked at the doctor's checkups, "Why aren't you getting better we are trying everything."

Now I would say, "I dunno doc maybe drugging people into retardation with a class of basically useless pharmaceuticals that have been proven to only be marginally better than placebo in clinical trials isn't the fix you should be peddling to people.

After suffering a pretty nasty withdrawal from venlafaxine I got better on my own by exercising and going back to school.
>>
>>25875749
Do the doctors keep shilling the drugs after they fail, like "it takes a few months for it to REALLY take effect! Don't stop, I'm counting on those kickbacks to get a new Lexus"?
>>
>>25875964
>does somebody do what is best for themselves with no regard for how it may effect others?
Yes
>>
File: 1451435781163.jpg (51 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451435781163.jpg
51 KB, 400x400
>>25875835
I never tried effexor, the closest thing I've tried is wellbutrin (effexor is an SNRI, wellbutrin is a NRI with minor DRI characteristics), which turned me into an irrational mess with heart palpatations, constant severe anxiety attacks and completely stopped by ability to sleep, even with the aid of benzos and other sedatives.
In clinical trials it's similar in effectiveness to other SSRI's, meaning it's quite questionable, however some people respond well to the 'activating' aspects of norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, might be useful if you're prone to lethargy, but it is also likely to make anxiety worse
>>
File: smug lain.jpg (11 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
smug lain.jpg
11 KB, 227x222
>>25875964
>Do the doctors keep shilling the drugs after they fail, like "it takes a few months for it to REALLY take effect! Don't stop, I'm counting on those kickbacks to get a new Lexus"?
yup, after I had a bad experience with citalopram my lovely shrink offered to put me on escitalopram
citalopram is a racemic mixture of two isomers, one of which is believed to be inactive or inhibitory, the other is escitalopram
they're pretty much the same thing, and I'm fairly certain she was aware of that
>>
>>25875370
In my experience, it was good at numbing down things, when i cried i didn't for as long as i usually would. It didn't help with my concentration or memory (things that were impaired by my depression originally). I don't think it will help with your emptiness while on it but when i got off it a year later, i noticed that i wasn't so empty and was more engaged with my environment so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Did try to hang myself a week after taking it, apparently an increased suicidal tendency is a side-effect so watch out for that haha and diarrhoea haha
>>
>>25876226

The side-effects should go after a two-weeks-4weeks so just get through it
>>
File: 1428680865876.jpg (38 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1428680865876.jpg
38 KB, 480x640
>>25876074
thanks you lain,
i really want to have motivation and not sleep 13+ hours a day, thats why i consider effexor.
but im too scared to see the doctor anyway
>>
The side effects are a real bitch.
>>
>>25875370
I've literally tried almost every anti depressant/SSRI between 3 psychiatrists. Long story short, I'll do anything to paint a wall with my neuron receptors. Whatever you take, you WILL eventually have to come off it. Effexor, Citalopram, all that shit isn't supposed to be used for the rest of your life... The thoughts of freedom will always return my fellow robots... always. Good luck.
>>
I was prescribed citalopram by my family doctor. He started me on 20mg, which made me feel sick as a dog for like 2 weeks. I had to do my own research on the internet to find that the side effects are more tolerable if you gradually increase your dose by 5mg (or even less) increments.

I did that, and I did work up to 20mg. I took it for several months before taking myself off.

>I gained 35 lbs
>It numbed my emotions - good and bad
>Because of the emotional numbing, I felt *nothing* when talking to other people.
>Because I felt nothing when interacting with others, I felt like a sociopath. You don't really realize it, but in normal conversation, humans feel and display emotions very dynamically. I literally felt nothing when interacting with others. I could walk up to a beautiful woman and just say whatever I wanted, and feel nothing.
>I felt like I had to fake all of my emotions in order to not look like a complete psycho. Someone says something funny, I fake a laugh. I fake a smile. I fake concern. I fake empathy. I just don't really care.
>The crippling depression flattened to almost nothing, but any emotional highs did the same thing.

Needless to say, I couldn't go on like that, so I stopped. My doctor switched me to buproprion, which is 100% better for me. The side effects I experience are slight tremors, slight nausea (from dehydration) in the afternoon, appetite suppression, increased energy, and whenever I laugh I do so in a loud and boisterous manner (after a google search, I noticed that other people have this too). The most unpleasant side effect is that I can become much more prone to anger, which is very odd because I'm not an angry or negative person. If I don't keep my emotions in check, I can "blow up" at someone when I really didn't intend to. I just stay mindful of it and the outbursts don't really happen.
>>
>>25875406
It's the problem with drugs, they are an absolute scame because they treat the symptoms, not the problem, and all drugs lose efficacy over time. The only way is therapy and even that is a bit iffy.
>>
>>25876544
GET THERAPY! Drugs are never the solution, only a temporary symptom relief, therapy is the only way you have a chance of feeling better, whether it be CBT, ECT (quite good if you have depression) just talking therapy, please try it at least.
>>
File: 1435605413153.png (35 KB, 645x552) Image search: [Google]
1435605413153.png
35 KB, 645x552
>>25875459
I got put on 20mg citalopram two weeks ago

so far my anxiety has been reduced greatly. I don't feel any sort of impending doom and I feel pretty relaxed. things haven't been getting to me a whole lot. I really enjoy the numbing feeling.

however, as >>25875613 pointed out, it does kind of make you feel empty. it's better than feeling anxious and upset constantly, but I can see how feeling like a robot could get old after a while.
Also I've been feeling tired almost constantly. even if I get a full 7-8 hours at night I still sleep during the day.
>>
>>25876217
Why post so much lain?
>>
File: 1452895303172.jpg (105 KB, 1520x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452895303172.jpg
105 KB, 1520x1080
>>25877543
so you associate my posts with each other, without namefagging or tripfagging
I do this in all threads where I'm trying to give advice or discuss something serious, I often do it with other characters/sets of images
>>
>>25877647
That's what I figured but was hoping for some relevance.
>>
>>25875370
I'm currently taking citalopram, honestly if you don't have a crazy-serious case of depression, it's good. Of course, this is hard to describe; when I say crazy-serious, I might mean that it's not a severe case of serotonin deficiency.

For example, I started feeling depressed (clinically) about a year after starting college and that was about 4-5years ago. I had suicidal thoughts every day, I was fapping at least 3 times a day, I stopped feeling interested in most things, I took up moderate drinking and smoking weed almost all the time.

When I started taking citalopram, it helped greatly reduce my suicidal thoughts, in that I wasn't subconsciously having them anymore. It also helped me be less socially anxious without resorting to drinking and smoking.

On a scale of depression, I like to think of it in 3 levels: 1, you're feeling hopeless and directionless, but suicide isn't an often conclusion. 2, same as one but with suicide and anxiety being very common, and 3, you probably have more problems than just existential depression, because you behave very erratically or have trouble functioning with others in a VERY fundamental way (likely have ACTUAL bipolar/other mental disorders)

I placed myself at 2 by the time I started getting treatment. If you don't have other mental disorders and have the depression as a result of anxieties gone wild, I honestly think counseling and citalopram help. It's still not easy though
>>
>>25878283
Also, remember that the medical field still doesn't know exactly how a lot of shit in the brain works and you might have to try different meds out.

Amd I forgot to mention citalopram is awesome for excess fapping because it kills your libido, but honestly I felt like I had a high libido, so it balanced out. And at least 50% fapping is from boredom, so try to do other shit.
>>
>>25875370
Everyone who's said anti-depressants "cured" their anxiety is lying. It's all in their head in that case. Literally all anti-depressants have done to me is make me unable to cum during sex and just made me even less interested in women and a lot more interested in killing myself.
>>
>>25878394
this.

>>25876997
therapy in itself is a fucking job. I've had a therapist since I was 10 years old. Now that I'm 21, he actually hates my guts. I don't understand what I did wrong. It's so clear he's tired of my endless cycle that is depression, self harm, heartbreak, and BPD
>>
>>25878430
>he actually hates my guts

Yeah, I went to a therapist for about a 2 months, after 8 visits there was "nothing we could do to improve" because I said things like my parents splitting up had absolutely zero effect on me. Apparently I wasn't opening up enough even though that's how i feel/felt.

All i'm trying to say is OP, if you go for therapy make sure you can actually locate an issue that's causing your depression or it's a pointless endeavor.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.