[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just read a bragpost two hours ago from an anon saying he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6
File: 1428875933400.jpg (33 KB, 459x448) Image search: [Google]
1428875933400.jpg
33 KB, 459x448
>just read a bragpost two hours ago from an anon saying he already has 2 people offering to hire him right out of college
>tfw graduated last year with two STEM degrees with honors
>started a volunteer program, attempted to network with industry leaders, and did research with professors in uni but it all lead nowhere, and did internships
>tried career center at uni and still no dice
>its been over six months and still no job
>never had good social skills
>feel like shit and bragfags are making it worse

Do you guys think hiring firms like Aerotek will work? I keep hearing they dont. I've applied to over ~540 jobs by now
>>
>>25841320

you'll make it. don't sweat it. then you'll just work for that paycheck to paycheck life.
>>
In Short: You felt for the good ol' STEM Meme!

Congratulations Sir.
>>
>>25841335
then what was the point of university? why dont they tell people to not go unless they have social prowess
>>
>>25841320
Blame college loans and grade inflation.

Since the fact that you graduated, the fact that you entered college, and got "good" grades no longer has any bearing on your actual skills, jobs are now offered to people who have the more reliable indicators of quality and success (attractive white men) and people who they are legally required to hire (genderfluid african americans).

Too bad, so sad.
>>
give up, make art
>>
>>25841359

what's the point of work? why don't they jsut give people money
>>
enroll in drama school, start writing, poetry. Make a better life for yourself. Stop with this bullshit STEM career
>>
>>25841391
that has no correlation to what i said. You're pretty bad at being a smartass
>>
>>25841375
But anon i'm black and i was never offered a free affirmative action job
>>
>>25841404

maybe you're asking questions that has no correlation to anything in particular.
>>
>>25841425

apply for government jobs, friendo. you're doing it wrong if you are applying to private companies.
>>
>>25841432

not him but you're a dumbass
>>
>>25841449
I tried that too bro, believe me I've been all over USAjobs
>>
I remember how desperate I was when I was looking for a first proper job when I had almost no experience

fuck, it's been barely a year and now not a week goes by without some headhunter giving me a job offer. the first step is by far the hardest.
>>
File: 1451024628922.jpg (85 KB, 368x427) Image search: [Google]
1451024628922.jpg
85 KB, 368x427
>>25841449
why cant he apply to private? Is OP's creds no good enough? If so I'm totally fucked
>>
>>25841320
hahah, you should just have done what I did and get a relative to hire you when you graduated, yeah my first job wasn't great and I only got paid like $45k but after a few years of experience I was getting so many job offers I had to get a new phone number and email to deal with the spam, the key is experience, all the companies out there want people with on the job experience, if you don't have that they won't even look at you.
>>
I have a master's in electrical engineering and a bachelor's in science and I've been unemployed for 3 years.

>every job requires unpaid intern experience

NOPE
>>
>>25841491
>only $45k

Im lucky to get $20k a year. Fuck off
>>
>>25841505
apparently you should listen to the kewl guy right here anon >>25841491

Your fault for not having a relative to hire you
>>
>>25841505

>not doing unpaid intern experience
>decides to be unemployed for 3 years out of spite

meme

why should i help you newfucks? some of you are pretty rude and deserve to suffer more.
>>
>>25841320
Yes, employment agencies can help you get a job. Look around google and find some with HQ in or near the city you live in that specialize in your fields.
They'll help you build a resume, coach you for an interview, etc.
>>
>>25841491
yet another bragfag
>>
>>25841534
It's the principle of the thing

I'd rather be an unemployed sack of shit than a literal slave.
>>
>>25841594

you didn't have to tell me twice, honestly.
>>
>>25841463
Keep applying for government jobs try your state and local governments
>>
>>25841607
fuck off smartass
>>
>>25841425
Try changing your name to something that sounds white
>>
>>25841662
my name is jewish anon
>>
I'm in the same boat OP
cept I wasn't even able to get an internship
Halfway through i wanted to drop out because of my bad grades and being unable to secure an internship but was told to keep going because even as a c student i had opportunities.
a year later after I graduated still no luck, I feel they were just lying jackals who just wanted to keep me there for the tuition money.
man
fuck the world
>>
>>25841681
Your a black jew
>>
>>25841491
>hahah, you should just have done what I did and get a relative to hire you when you graduated
I can't really choose what relatives to have
none of them or HR managers
so what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>25841697
OP here. I know your pain. Thank god I've been on 4chan for years because you get some killer advice from places like /sci/ which in hindsight is where i should have posted this.

All the "advice" from normalfags was to "do internships and research". That was it. No one told me I needed to make people like me or that I had to pull strings.

What'd you major in?

>>25841712
not a jew, my dad just thought the name sounded cool
>>
>>25841737
he's just being malicious bro, dont mind him. Lots of people on this board are like that
>>
>>25841745
Holy shit is your name like Murray Goldstein
>>
>>25841320

>graduated with psychology degree
>sat around until after xmas holidays
>moved halfway across the US
>applied for shit
>half a dozen interviews
>job within a month of graduating

But if it makes you feel better, everything I got was literally in the "I shoulda just started working at mcdonalds as a kid" range. Fucking $12/hr right now, its shit pay. But experience I guess, hopefully I can get something working with the corrupt ass state in another year and then REALLY do nothing and get pension for life. Ah corrupt governments, not bad when you're on the receiving end I guess.

But no seriously, I had a friend like OP, graduated with a chem degree, spent a year before they got a decent job. But after that it paid off in spades for her. So dont lose hope OP.
>>
>>25841804
No, it's a less common name, it doesnt even sound jewish I think.

Too many people on this board know me though, so i cant tell you the name
>>
>>25841745
>What'd you major in?
my major is Electrical Engineering , with almost all my technical electives in computer engineering and one in controls.
>>
>>25841380
give up again, take europe
>>
>>25841832
shit man

I did math and physics and developed coding skills. Hell I even got a certification but apparently even that isnt worth shit

I guess high school goes on forever where only cool people benefit
>>
>>25841745
>No one told me I needed to make people like me or that I had to pull strings.
My father like me has no social skills and managed to get by on pure talent and hard work alone. Problem is I'm not as smart as him nor am I as hard a worker as him so I can't do what he did.
>>
>>25841821
die

blox blue
>>
>>25841832
You need that nepotism
>>
>>25841862
>I guess high school goes on forever where only cool people benefit
would you ever be interested in starting a society where that isn't true?
>>
>>25841919
I tried nepotism once with an old friend from HS to try and get a tutoring job. I still never got called for an interview even after he recommended me
>>
>>25841924
A society where people who work hard and have skills benefit would be better, rather than one where people who are simply manipulative socially get everything.

I think that's what communism attempts to solve, but they do it all wrong
>>
File: neet.png (17 KB, 133x156) Image search: [Google]
neet.png
17 KB, 133x156
>>25841320
WAGESLAVES ON S U I C l D E W A T C H
>>
>>25841320
>falling for the STEM meme

This is the future you chose
>>
>>25841320

Ari? o r i g i n a l c o m m e n t
>>
>>25841320
>a history of willingness to work for free leads to an inbox full of people wanting you to work for free.
No shit. Yes, hire a headhunter.
>>
>I've applied to over ~540 jobs by now

Holy shit. I've applied to a lot of jobs, but if I ever hit near that number I'd kill myself.
>>
>>25841991
>>25841977

here we go everyone

>>25842035
Stop following me prick
>>
File: 7a1.png (224 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
7a1.png
224 KB, 365x365
>>25841432
>le epic trole
Piss off. You're a moron.
>>
>>25842049

fuck you man you dont know who I am
>>
>>25842046
i know guys who only finished CC who've applied to wat more with no results and NEETs who have reached over 1000 with nothing
>>
File: 2014-07-01_19-15-23.jpg (112 KB, 1164x652) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-01_19-15-23.jpg
112 KB, 1164x652
>>25842049
How ya doing Ari? You fucked candice yet or did she leave you for a white guy?

When you gonna start your foot video site again?
>>
>>25842046
I must have applied to hundred by now
>>
>>25842141
its to the point where i look at the job page of a company for half an hour and wonder if

a) my app is even looked at and it isnt filler for the company to seem like they have openings

b) I could ever compete with people getting the jobs

c) if the listings are for people who were guaranteed a position already in person by someone in the company who likes them and the apps are documented to make it official
>>
>>25842116
How you make enemies like this OP
>>
>>25842183
im not his enemy. i'm just asking how hes doing
>>
I'm in my second term of first year as a CS student, how do I not fuck up like poor OP did?
>>
>>25842178
>c) if the listings are for people who were guaranteed a position already in person by someone in the company who likes them and the apps are documented to make it official
pretty much this
all application are for is to keep a list of resumes on hand in case they have a job opening and for one reason or another don't personally know who to fill
that however isn't very common.
>>
>>25842178
There's always hope i've been unemployed for two years. I never give up complete hope. It does help me that i've gotten a few interviews. I have one on Wednesday
>>
>>25841991
All college degrees are memes to be honest. Even getting a graduate degree isn't a guarantee for stable employment. Too many jobs have been outsourced. Before it was just blue collar work but now IT and other highly technical STEM jobs are going overseas. If that's not bad enough there's lots of H1-B visa holders taking all of the prized silicon valley jobs.

The only industry that's booming nowadays is the college industry, conning naive little saps into thinking they could have a middle class lifestyle if they could just get another degree, certification, MBA, etc. By the time you manage to get the degree the job market could be a completely different place, rendering it useless.

In this economy you have to hustle for any piece of scrap you can find. Any crap job that pays well below your pay grade you have to hang onto for dear life. Chances are there's a guy with much better qualifications to take your place the second you leave.
>>
>>25842227
be a social butterfly, that is pretty much all it amounts to. Work hard to get good grades , but if you had to choose between a good exam score or a connection, the connection is always the best choice.
>>
>>25842260

this right here
only a matter of time before the IT market is oversaturated too, like 70% of my friends are going for a career in it
>>
>>25842260
is this all inevitable, is there some political power that could change all this?
>>
>>25842227
Internships, nepotism, make good connections, stay in contact with them, avoid a record, and be white.
>>
>500
fucking christ

go to imgur, search for "resume" and look for a galerry that is full of words that you should use to get high listed by automated resume scanners. might help.
>>
Anon I said it once and I'll say it ago,
we need to make a guild of STEM majors with no social skills.
>>
Wait wait wait wait wait

How can chads be against suicide and then tell someone to go out in a blaze of glory at 15-18 years old just to "prove themselves" as a man. HelI never fought back against my bullies and I still get mad pussy. I dont give two shits about instincts
>>
>>25842458
anon, I think you posted this in the wrong thread
>>
>>25841681
You're a black Jew? Go to Hollywood, you'll become an A-list actor making tons of money in no time.
>>
>>25841320
>~540
holy fucking balls anon
>>
Never give up!
Keep on trying!
>>
>>25842800
fuck you and your naive optimism this is the real world, sooner or later some of us have to take jobs cleaning dishes or digging ditches or face the prospects of homelessness.
>>
>>25841320
>six months
and you think that's long enough to be whining?

go panhandle outside your university.

ask for change to the students and told them your story, they probably will give you a buck or two

work as burger flipper. no need to say you are a "university graduated with honors" because they will not hire you for being a pretentious overqualified waste of life
>>
>>25842861
>and you think that's long enough to be whining?
actually it is, I once read an article that interviewed job hiring managers that said for a professional job being unemployed for more than 5 months is as bad as having criminal conviction on your record.
>>
I can assure you Aerotek works if you're super patient. We're talking like months
>>
>>25842843
There's the military
>>
>>25843348
well what do you do,
just drop in a resume?
>>
>>25841548
but he's got bragging rights, and he isn't wrong in what he's saying
all you need is a diploma and work experience, either or alone is not optimal
>>
>>25842978
of course it shows you're disobedient slave
>>
File: 1445390888514.jpg (29 KB, 533x795) Image search: [Google]
1445390888514.jpg
29 KB, 533x795
>>25841391
Post yfw people don't actually HAVE to work and there are more than enough resources on the planet for everyone to live comfortably if not luxuriously, but capitalists continue to perpetuate the work for a living meme so that they can remain in control of the Geosociopolitical climate

Pic realted
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.