[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>lots of creative ideas for video games, movies, songs, stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 1445296118399.jpg (78 KB, 607x434) Image search: [Google]
1445296118399.jpg
78 KB, 607x434
>lots of creative ideas for video games, movies, songs, stories in general
>have no programming/dev talent, no means to make movies/short films, no musical talent or access to instruments whatsoever, don't believe my prose would be strong enough to write an actual book

Who /creative but talentless/ here?

What should I do about it? I just want to create for a living.
>>
the answer is learn a skill

stop telling yourself you can't and learn a skill, or two or three

you have a computer and the internet so everything you need is out there for free

I'm not going to stick around and listen to you complain or make excuses. learn a skill.
>>
>>25708419
Skills are developed, bud. Work on disciplining yourself.
>>
File: 1451571813781.gif (413 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1451571813781.gif
413 KB, 500x375
tfw, this is me

it's probably not because we have no talent but because we're just fucking lazy and addicted to shit that takes no effort.

i own a guitar, taking lessons, still don't do shit with it, and i even enjoy playing. it's not because i don't have talent but because there's a depressing comfort about instead just hanging around 4chan and complaining about my life. you probably won't become talented until you first eliminate the problems that made you that way.
>>
>>25708462
My first inclination would be to get an acoustic guitar, learn how to play the hell out of it, and write poetry/music.

But then I realize that literally everybody but me plays guitar and my music would never be good enough to attract more than 100 listeners or so. Nobody can make a living off of simple music like that, I would have to learn how to play at least a few other instruments, how to compose music for 5+ instruments, learn about music production and audio recording when it comes to computers, it's such a huge undertaking of a project, as opposed to just picking up a guitar, learning how to play, and spilling my guts.
>>
>>25708507
I actually think I would have no problem ditching 4chan and all this pointless shit if I actually threw myself into learning and creating, it's just that... well, I can't motivate myself to do it. Like I said here:
>>25708538
It's just so much bullshit I'd have to do, and in the end it wouldn't even mean anything because after all that effort, I'd get 1,000 people to listen to my music tops. All I want to do is write Tom Waits-esque stories and tell them while I play some comfy guitar music, but that's not what anyone wants to hear.
>>
>>25708419
Give me you're game ideas. I'll credit you, don't worry.
>>
>>25708617
I'm in uni for computer science, starting specialized courses in game dev next year, sorry gotta keep em to myself bud.
>>
>>25708419
>highly motivated, learning to drawn, likes to write, wants to code

>family is insuferable and poor, never gave me anything, Writing this on a 50$ 7'' windows tablet bouth on my own

>Don't even have where to sit, house is noisy and I cannot even concentrate myself to study anything, anything is on the bed

>can't concentrate anyway because aways starving, at least r9k and anime puts my mind at easy

>At night when it's not noise they turnof the wifi router anyway
anyway
>have to help with shores everyday anyway
>>
>>25708641
You son of a bitch, you aren't talentless after all. You're a phony.
>>
>>25708695
As of right now I am, and always have been. A hungry man who's going to eat next week, is still hungry.
>>
>>25708419
Cheer up, your ideas are all shit anyways
>>
File: 1450433974759.jpg (54 KB, 540x472) Image search: [Google]
1450433974759.jpg
54 KB, 540x472
>>25708747
You're not wrong, unfortunately.
>>
>>25708419
Season 4 when?
>>
>>25708798
Late this year hopefully, or early next year.
With Nathan's luck it's probably not gonna happen though. Ratings for S3 weren't fantastic.
>>
>>25708538
Computer codes iz ezpz, most software devs are autists, OP would fit right in
>>
>>25708886
I wish you got quads to confirm my autism, awfully close.
>>
>>25708897
Story of muh life. Srsly, learn computers is much better investment than learn guitar.
>>
>>25709016
Working on it, studying computer science right now. Have a bit of extra cash after Christmas and thinking about getting a guitar now that you guys called me out for being a faggot and not just learning a skill already.

What do you guys think? Should I just jump in and pull the trigger on this deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Acoustic-Strings-Instructional-Polishing/dp/B0092V7WJ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1452652109&sr=8-4&keywords=acoustic+guitar
>>
>>25709055
Hope CS pans out for you, anon. Changed my life.

Shitty acoustic guitar, maybe be suitable for playing shitty cowboy chords, nothing more. Buy electric guitar and learn to play jazz. If you're gunna do something, do it right.
>>
>>25709162
Thanks m8, I appreciate it.

Yeah, probably, but I have no musical ear as of yet. I figure it's a good learning guitar, and I have a huge soft spot for acoustic guitar, singer songwriter stuff. I do love jazz, I'd like to learn sax/piano sometime down the line.
>>
>>25709200
You do you Boo boo
>>
>not being so narcissistic that you learn how to program, how to into art and music, etc. because you don't trust a bunch of filthy casuals with your original content do not steal

I've gone through at least a dozen different books on musical theory. This shit is mad autistic, but fuck working with other people.

t. assburger pro
>>
>>25709232
thx family

Aight I'll pull the trigger. Thanks robots, peace out.
>>
Something tells me you actually have complete garbage stories anon, which is why you don't have faith in their merit.
>>
File: yo.jpg (37 KB, 366x361) Image search: [Google]
yo.jpg
37 KB, 366x361
>>25708419
Become Steve Jobs.
>>
>you will never make a game
>you will never make a group of people hyped for your game to come out'
>fedoras will never camp out in front of gamestop for a midnight release of your game
>your game will never be posted about on /v/
>your game will never have a general on /vg/
Why live.
>>
>>25708419
Got some bad news for you anon, you're not actually creative.
>>
>>25708419
I know the feel man.
I actually finished a draft for a book 2 years ago. I have no idea if its good or not.
Its just a file sitting on my hard drive.
While i'm not making any money off of it, I can say, at the very least, it is something I am proud of.
Whether its good or not is irrelevant, just the effort it took to finish it gives me that feel.
I say go for it man. Worst case scenario you'll find out whether you have talent, and you'll have something you can be proud of as proof.
>>
>>25708538
>my music would never be good enough to attract more than 100 listeners or so

oh, so you don't actually want to create things, you just want to be popular and famous and rich.

if you wanted to make music, you'd make music. regardless of whether or not anyone listened to it or enjoyed it. regardless of whether or not you made money from it.
>>
File: 1449813430227.png (733 KB, 568x788) Image search: [Google]
1449813430227.png
733 KB, 568x788
>>25710247
How does one find something they like to do for the sake of doing it? Are some people just naturally inclined to not get this satisfaction period? I think I've permanently fucked the rewards system of my brain.
>>
>>25708419
You're not creative. If you were you'd create.
>>
>>25708419
you aren't creative, stupid
>>
>>25709635
this, unfortunately.
>>
>>25708419
That's why you learn, you fucking retard.

>programming/dev
Get Unity or RPG Maker (EZ mode) and read tutorials. Join an indie community.
>movies/short films
Nothing's stopping you from making Youtube videos about shit you care about.
>no musical talent or equipment
Produce EDM.
>>
>>25708419
I will write a novel someday, anons, and you can too. Just read. Everyday. And write something. Even if it sucks, practice is good. The only thing I've ever written creatively is erotica and shitty poetry, but someday I'll be good enough to write something worth reading.
>>
>>25709239
OP here. This is honestly my problem. If I am going to create something, put all the work in, it will be MY vision. If I make a video, I am going to make the music too. It's not that I don't trust other people so much as it feels inauthentic any other way.
>>25709358
Probably yeah.
>>25709615
I know the feel.
>>25709635
>>25711012
>>25711289
>>25710645
Yeah I suppose. I have written close to 100 pages of outlines for ideas, songs, stories, games, films, but never gotten more than 40-50 pages in a novel/screenplay. At least I had something, I guess.
>>25710247
Nah, it's not about wanting to be famous. It's just that if I'm going to put in hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of work, it's discouraging to think I could never share it. That's what storytelling is about- telling a story, i.e. sharing it.
>>25711369
I suppose you're right. Already ordered a guitar anon. Thank you.
>>25711524
I have, embarrassingly, written a lot of erotica too.

Thank you for the advice friends, I'm going to bed for real this time. Have a great night.
>>
>tfw work too much and make too little money to pursue anything meaningful that might in turn turn a profit
This fucking society is rigged.
>>
>>25708419
What's stopping you? Are you a NEET? Download Sibelius, open up Wikipedia, go to music theory, look it up online, start reading, look up famous classical works, listen to them, look up analysis of those works, relisten, learn how to write down musical ideas you have, eventually string enough together to write a piece. A year and a half ago I didn't even know what tuplets were and now I've written a string quartet and have just started an opera.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.