[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, so I'm finally ready to admit that I have a problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
Alright, so I'm finally ready to admit that I have a problem and that my life has been going nowhere for the past 6 years. So I'm picking up the remains and moving to Columbus OH because it's half as expensive as where I'm living now and just to get a brand new start. Anyone have any tips about moving across the country or have any comments about Columbus in general? I've never been there.
>>
>>25658996
just boils down to finances m8. i did what you did, but from san diego, CA to spokane, WA. cheap as fuck over here and lots of gorgeous nature, lots of tweakers too. started out with 300, crashed on a friends couch for one month while looking for work, was stable by month 2.

if you arent very employable, you better have at least 3 g's to hold you over while you look for work.
>>
I live 10 mins away from Columbus in a suburb. It's an okay city I guess. You'll probably do jack shit here because there's nothing to do here ahich is why everyone from Ohio who ever did anything moved the fuck away
>>
>>25659125

Ha, I live in san diego too.

I've actually already got a job that I can telecommute from, it just hardly covers my living expenses though.
>>
>>25658996
I've done this about a hundred times

okay not really, just five times, once internationally. I have also considered living in Columbus on more than one occasion, it's actually a really cool city. Unlike Portland or Austin or NYC or San Francisco or LA or Chicago ... it hasn't gotten popular yet. In 10 years or so it'll be the next Portland, Oregon. But in the mean time, it's not cool enough to not be cheap.

So the first thing is either

>get a car
>get plane tickets

if you have a car it saves you on shipping costs but gas is expensive too. a car is useful in Columbus so no need to sell it. If you get plane tickets far enough ahead (I prefer southwest because the first two bags are FREEEEEE and that's the cheapest fastest and easiest way to ship 100lbs, seriously.) the plane ticket will only cost you $125.

So save money, book ticket. You want enough money for two months of rent, depending on what kind of job you know you can get. I cook for a living. If I lose my job on Monday I can have a new job by Wednesday, in any city. I'm never worried about that so I don't mind leaving with a smaller budget.

Get apartment. Start looking before you book the ticket, when you find a reasonable spot to live that looks okay and it looks like you're reaching an agreement (filling out applications etc), that's a good time to book the ticket.

When you fly by plane, you want to fill your suitcases to 49.5lbs exactly. I mean it, OP. Do not hit 50 or over or they will charge you $75 per bag. Each additional suitcase is $75.

I usually do two suitcases and a carry on (largest possible suitcase that fits in the overhead bin), plus my guitar. I try to use my guitar as my personal item (Show up EARLY for the flight so you can fit it in the overhead or they might charge you $75 to have it checked) and my bag as my carry on.
>>
Cinci > Columbus
>>
File: 1449369790971.gif (83 KB, 446x300) Image search: [Google]
1449369790971.gif
83 KB, 446x300
>living in OHIO
Dayton fag here. Don't come to OHIO. As soon as I get my degree and black belt I'm gone. Maybe I'll move to Washington, or somewhere that's always jacket weather
>>
Welcome to Columbus, friend.

I can't say it's special compared to any other city of its size. Where in the city are you looking to move to?
>>
Where in Columbus?
>>
>Moving to Ohio

Don't do it it's a purgatory of endless cornfields and absolutely nothing to do. Cincifag reporting.
>>
>>25659455
>Maybe I'll move to Washington
We're Full.
Go away.
>>
>>25659539
No, it's better than OHIO and cheaper than Cali
>>
>>25659483
>>25659489

I've been looking around for a while now and I was thinking north west of clintonville.

>>25659455

Huh, i thought columbus was a jacket weather kind of place.
>>
>>25659407
I fill the suitcases with the clothes I like to wear the most and the items that are light that I can't stand the thought of living without. everything else I donate, give away to my friends, put in a box and mail it to myself or leave the box behind with whoever I was living with, promising to come get it eventually (usually a lie)

Mailing a 10lb package from across the country is going to run you $40-$50. pretty much nothing you have is worth that much that you can't fit in your suitcase or live without.

If you have fragile things, wrap your clothing around them to cushion them.

Once you have a place locked in, start applying for jobs with your new address and try to lock one down. if they ask for an interview before you're in town tell them you'll be in town on x date available for an interview. if you don't get any hits, don't sweat it, sometimes they just need a job filled more immediately. I never get any bites until I'm in the city. Once I job hunt in town I get a few interviews on the first day and the first couple interviews I usually get a few job offers.

then I get free shit off of craigslist. usually people give away couches to anyone who will move them out of the house for you. I hit people up on craigslist to buy cheap furniture too, then I rent a van and make a day of it, going around town collecting raggedy ass furniture.

Most things I can live without, television, cable, phone, coffee tables, etc. I go to secondhand stores to get plates and cooking supplies and use takeout containers for cups and stuff at first. I don't worry about the things I don't have because they will come with time as I need them
>>
>>25658996

I live in Columbus, it's a pretty decent city. It has a lot of growth projection in various industry. Living down town isn't to expensive. A 1br in the German Village for example is around 400 to 700 dollary doos. Our nogs aren't as bad as the nogs in other cities.

Really your biggest hurdle will be entertainment. You could safely assume that just about anyone you meet loves the handegg, as that's all there is to care about.
>>
don't you idiots know how weather works?

>>25659619
in the summer it gets hot

>>25659455
in the summer it gets hot
>>
>>25659619
It was in the 50f and raining saturday, and its 16f and snowing. The weather is crazy in ohio.
>>
>>25658996
cbus is aight
Ohio is pretty comfy
I'm from Cleveland
try to go to smaller venue concerts to meet people and stuff, and if your in columbus learn about OSU football so you can always make conversation with people
>>
>>25659619
Columbus usually won't go under 10 degrees more than a few times, but certainly not jacket weather.

>>25659676
As he says, downtown can be nice. I lived in a nice, but cheap apartment for a year that was a few minutes walk from the center of downtown.
>>
>>25659441
Cleveland>Cinci
>>
>>25659601
The pacific northwest has been the area seeing the largest transplant of US citizens relocating in the nation for 3 back to back.

Everything is fucking expensive now.
Seattle is a cluster of traffic. Unless you're making 70k a year good luck living near the job centers of the city.
And Portland has some of the weakest housing regulation in the nation and out of nation money is fucking everything up. Some of the most expensive housing in the nation compared to the economic pull of the area.

I grew up in the northwest and I've always adored it... but as of late its getting ugly...
>>
>>25659759
I moved to Portland the year before Portlandia came out and I kid you not, rent shot up starting the very next year. it was pretty stable before that but no one expected the explosion of popularity. I left right before I could get gouged by it
>>
>>25658996
sweet bro. I'm an ohiofag and let me tell you that this is the city to be in if you want to stop being a robot.

Step 1: Learn stuff about OSU football team (players, coach, scores, records, etc.)
Step 2: Make conversation with literally anyone, doesn't matter where
Step 3: Rinse and repeat to make some buddies

Bonus point: Even the girls here are die hard football fans
>>
>>25659894

Eh, I'm not a huge football fan, but I can get into anything if I've got people to watch it with.

How's the boardgame, renaissance faire, and vidya game scene?
>>
File: Brutus.jpg (58 KB, 850x560) Image search: [Google]
Brutus.jpg
58 KB, 850x560
>>25659894

This

Seriously it is the most important thing in the world.
>>
>>25659155
>>25659455
>>25659483
Idk, Tbh I like Columbus and Ohio in general. Lived here all my life and it's really good.
>>
>>25660061
>boardgame
No freaking idea, but I think some local gamestops have magic tournaments

>renaissance faire
I went to it a couple years ago. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I liked it. Fun atmosphere and some nice food.

>Vidya
It's pretty average. Lots of groups for LAN parties and stuff like that
>>
>>25660061

Don't know about Columbus, but Cincy/Dayton area have a god tier Renaissance faire
>>
File: 1448766304873.jpg (88 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1448766304873.jpg
88 KB, 640x640
>>25660061

Do you like basketball? Because we have the best team in the league desu (fuck the Memeiors)

Baseball, both teams suck

Hockey, the team sucks

Soccer, went to the finals

Football, one is always awful and the other is the worst choking team in the history of the world. And then there's Ohio State of course, the Mecca of the state.
>>
File: columbia tower from my room.jpg (18 KB, 410x547) Image search: [Google]
columbia tower from my room.jpg
18 KB, 410x547
>>25659759
>>25659813
>>25659539
>mfw living right outside of downtown seattle

I pay less than $600 a month in rent.

The downside is my apartment is tiny (mini-fridge, no oven or stove, just a hotplate. No furniture except for a bed- I literally don't have the room for it) and I live in one of the most ghetto parts of Seattle. Like there's a giant police van party bus parked a block away from me most nights.

The worst part is that I'm not even a hipster. I work in a very conservative industry and would love to get something bigger and move out into the suburbs- I'm just poor as fuck and this apartment is right on a major bus line that goes straight to my workplace.
>>
In terms of major Cleveland Cities (the big three)

Cinci: Feels southern, pretty, hilly city, decent economy with some big companys headquartered there, Probably a good place to settle down.

Columbus: Best economy of the major three, good entertainment (concerts) due to giant college campus, clean downtown, but kind of sterile and forced in terms of city life.

Cleveland: Most interesting and diverse of the three but shit tier economy and some of the worst neighborhoods in the US. if you are used to urban decay though Cleveland has a lot to offer. Best food scene in Ohio, and some solid breweries.

Youngstown: Just don't

Toledo: Just Don't

Dayton: Pretty solid economy, but extremely boring.

Akron: less interesting Cleveland with the same problems.
>>
>>25659619
Columbus is great for getting your shit together. unless you are an alcoholic, because then, all of your money will be spent at bars, at that is the primary entertainment. there are a lot of robots here, and everyone seems to find their crowd. the houses are close together with some nice porches, so the neighbors are generally pretty friendly. lots of intellectuals here and hipsters with big hearts. the art community is pretty prevalent because of CCAD and coffee shops. the campus area is the best for the initial move and getting acquainted with the space. summit street, 4th street, and indianola have fun, quirky vibes. clintonville is more quiet and family oriented, and i never talk to anyone here. also, i recommend getting a bike. you will be able to explore better and whatnot.
>>
>>25659693
Weather doesn't work that way in california. It's hot 24/7 365 here.
>>
I'm in Columbus

right on East Dublin now.

it's shit. minus the fact that were immune to natural disasters.

I finally left the house and explored downtown after 7 years. govment got the city looking sexy. it's actually a great place to nightwalk. They haven't gotten rid of the lovely sodium lamps so it looks comfy in the winters
>>
>>25661048
You're comment confuses me as to whether you are pro or anti Columbus...
>>
>>25661106
looking at the world around me I see Columbus is pretty nice when it comes to natural disasters

I'm also happy I were born here than somewhere more expensive or a shit country.

I'm just mad I'm in America at all
I want to leave but I'm so lazy anon all I can do is complain and take it
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.