[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you trust therapists? Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 1451157717162.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1451157717162.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Do you trust therapists?

Why?
>>
Fuck no.
They see you as a job,something they can fix like a car or a leaky pipe.
>>
No, all they want is to put you on pills so they earn more money
>>
File: pepethefrogisupsetwithyou.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pepethefrogisupsetwithyou.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>25580247

>go to therapist
>He prescribes exercise
>I had been lifting for over a year by then

Didn't go back
>>
>>25580247
Some of them really don't fix shit, other leaves you even fucking worse

I know because i've went to at least 6

They are almost worthless, i only go (went) because they at least sometimes give you prescriptions and you can take medicine (drugs) legally. And they sometimes give a good chat
>>
>>25580247
I would trust a therapist that knows feels. They don't exist.
>>
How do you deal with stress then
>>
Not after the stifled chuckle.
>>
>>25580291
Yes but therapists dont get paid much. The get in alot of dept to pay their way through uni/college.
why do they do it? they want to help people. The only reaseon someone would become a fucking psychologist is because they want to help people. A psychiatrist on the other hand... dont fucking trust them. Figure out what drug you want and get it.
>>
>Do you trust therapists?
>Do you trust the rapists?
>>
File: 1450694763116.jpg (17 KB, 397x262) Image search: [Google]
1450694763116.jpg
17 KB, 397x262
>>25580247
Depends on the therapist. Most of them are just ordinary people with a desire to treat ordinary problems, they have neither the desire nor empathy to connect with highly deranged people, so they prescribe the usual BS and muddle through meetings. The only therapist worth trusting is the one who can stare straight into the darkness of your heart and not even blink. Anything less and you'll never make any progress.
>>
>>25580688
You pose a good point anon.
Maybe I'm biased because I was forced to see a few in the military.
I fucking hated it,went to two drunk as fuck. It was awkward and I got really angry for some reason.
>>
I fuck with my therapists because if you ask for confidentiality they can't say shit unless you've threatened yourself or others.
>>
>>25580247
Mine is interesting. During a manic episode, I came out to him (and everyone else) as bisexual. He himself is a homosex, and I get the vibe he is convinced I'm full gay, but I'm not sure. I dated a girl recently and he seemed suspicious.
>>
File: 1451457578545.jpg (49 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1451457578545.jpg
49 KB, 540x540
>>25580247
No. I spent two years with one and never made any progress. In the beginning I thought it could be useful but I quickly realized it was bullshit and that nobody could help me. I am not fixable. Every session was spent trying to get past my defense mechanism to get to the root of my problem and it never went further. The most productive part about it for me was going home afterwards and fapping fresh off the human contact high.
>>
>>25580881
I wonder why. Being bisexual is a lot more common than being strictly homosex.
>>
Not really, because 95% of them are pill-prescribing lunatics who think human nature is definitively outlined by the DSM-V and transparently follow any fucking clinical, academic, or (most frightening) "activist" fad like they've never had an independent thought in their lives, 4% are well-intentioned and sometimes even reflective but clearly not very intelligent and still willing to take liberties with other people's minds by assuming they are innately qualified to diagnose and prescribe things because of their vaguely good intentions, and 1% actually insightful, intelligent people, who are nevertheless somehow too stupid to realise they're in a bunk profession where they literally 1% of practitioners.

I got some benefit out of talking to someone from the 4%, so I think if you are a good judge of character and you are looking for some new perspectives on yourself from angles you had never thought to consider, you should shop around for one. But don't be surprised if you go through ten in a row from the 95% group, or if they do weird shit like try to Nurse Ratched-esquely browbeat you into agreeing with them, or just blast pills down your throat with a fucking pressurised cannon.
>>
File: 1412082659551.jpg (26 KB, 317x310) Image search: [Google]
1412082659551.jpg
26 KB, 317x310
My therapist wants me to see a psychiatrist because he says I'm low in dopamine (ADHD) and low in serotonin (depression). But how can they determine this if they don't run any definite tests? How do I know I'm just not a little bitch?
>>
>>25581015
I think he thinks that it's a binary thing, either gay or straight. But I think that's because he dated women until his 20s before realizing he was gay. Also I tried dating a transgirl (>her) and a guy before dating this girl, and I couldn't bring myself to like either of them beyond a physical level. For the record I broke up with the girl, but a big part of it was because she wasn't super attractive and I didn't click with her, had meme interests like dr who and bobs burgers
>>
I went to 1 therapy session and he recommended an adult ADHD screening, came up negative. Never went back to him though for some reason.

My campus therapist was much more empathetic, but I never did the CBT homework.
>>
>>25581061
Do your own research

There are people critical of those kinds of things as reductivist (any problem is not only chemical, but chemical in a simple and straightforward way like "oh nigga u just dont have enough of the blue brain juice, have a pill"). Some of the criticisms are surprisingly subtle. Industries that self-perpetuate by selling you blue brain juice pills aren't interested in teaching you that there are other solutions. Those industries have surprisingly many ways of interacting with "objective" academic gospel.

On a purely practical level, do a fuckload of research into negative side effects of SSRIs etc.
>>
>>25581155
I have and I used to take a stimulant, but it eventually wore off and stopped taking it because I wanted to work on my problems on my own. But I also failed out of school last semester because of this. Everyone is saying I should take the meds again but I don't know how it will affect me in the long term. I don't know if it's healthy or not to take it for the rest of my life.
>>
When I moved to another city briefly I had a therapist for a couple of sessions. He was this old Indian guy and was a bit of a hard ass. He basically told me that it was going to take a lot of work for me to unfuck myself and told me to start meditating and reading literature about mindfulness and shit. I never kept up with either after I moved back home. I liked him.

Before I moved to the other city(which was for a co-op/intern job) I was seeing a counselor at my college. Mostly she would just ask me questions and say things to make me feel better about myself. I don't know if I would say that I loved her, but she was like an unrelated mother figure to me, and she was kind of pretty too in a plain way. I still have dreams about her all the time. I haven't seen her since I left for the other city, she got pregnant and moved away or something.
>>
>>25580688
A psychiatrist is the same thing, they got an MD and could have had a lucrative medical career but settled for one of the lowest paying specialties after family practice.

In the US that's several hundred thousand dollars of debt just to be a psychiatrist.
>>
>>25580670
Sounds harsh...
>>
>>25580688
Therapists think they have the right answers. Surely the vast majority do not yet direct people as if they did.

It pays fine, and I don't know why you think they accumulate any exceptional amount of debt.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.