[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 23 too old to be starting school? Should I just wallow in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1344316431186.png (325 KB, 540x432) Image search: [Google]
1344316431186.png
325 KB, 540x432
Is 23 too old to be starting school?

Should I just wallow in my shitty life and accept I'll never have the life I want instead because I was a retard when I was younger?
>>
Sooner rather than later, might as well buy an exit bag if you don't go to school
>>
You can do it, but make sure you have a specific plan

Honestly I would've been better off if I waited til 23 to go to college because I was too fucking retarded when I did
>>
>>25528234
>You can do it, but make sure you have a specific plan

You mean like make sure I have a job lined up afterwards?
>>
>>25528201
My grandmother went to school at 32 and got a master's. She would not be retired and we'll off if it wany for that. Go back it's a long term investment that will pay off. Just dont get some shitty degree.
>>
>>25528201
23 isn't too old, but you're probably going for the wrong reasons. if you're depressed and think going to school will magically make everything better, you're in for a bad time.
>>
>>25528272
You'll want to look into that during school via internships or (preferably) co-ops

I just mean know what you want to do, don't go in and fuck around. The biggest shit thing about college is how it's marketed as a place to learn what the world has to offer and find yourself (at the cost of $XX,000 and another year of your youth). Know what you want to do with your life and get a degree that will get you there first imo
>>
>>25528289
>>25528319
>back to school

haha no, I have to go to school in the first place

>>25528289
>Just dont get some shitty degree.
Yeah I mean I don't want to get like an art history degree or something like that.

>>25528319
I think it might help no? For that matter I'm not even sure if I am depressed, I just want a better life.

>>25528340
How do you know what you want to do before going though?
>>
>>25528272
No he probably means course scheduling.
Get your degree and get out asap, really
Don't just go to school because you think that's what you have to do, know what degree you want and get it done, maybe an internship too but a job is looking too far ahead
>>
I'm 23 too and I just finished my first semester, youll see a lot of fucking 16yo kids but they are mostly alright. There's gonna be people way older than you studying with you, just starting and as clueless as you. There were 2 30yos in my concentration classes.
>>
>>25528319
I'll second this. I started college and only made it 2 years before depression made me self destructive there
I ended up leaving school for 3 years. I returned and changed my major, thinking that I'd have to get through it to feel better about my life. I finished at 26 and, It has helped a little, but doesn't make me feel much better about life in general

Also, make sure you go because you want to and you believe that you want to spend each day in school working towards a goal that you really want. It makes the experience so much easier. I fought it the first time because my parents pushed me there, but I want back the second time because I wanted it. It was so much less soul crushing spending each day in class because I actually wanted it.
>>
>>25528367
>I think it might help no? For that matter I'm not even sure if I am depressed, I just want a better life.
well, its impossible to judge your situation from this post. but this is what a fear.
>23 years old
>didn't do shit my entire life
>fuck it going to college
>fucking hate it and its hard because didnt do shit all my life and depressed and cant talk to people
>fucking bombed my interviews and exams because depressed, don't care, waste of time
>drop out
>24 years old
>depressed as shit
>>
You're never too old to go back to school. I was doing alright for myself making 50k a year but took three years off from ages 26-29 to go back and get a BComm and worked part time throughout. Since I had been working in sales solutions since I was 18, it was super easy to come back and jump into a management position and now I make double. It helps that university is cheap in Quebec though, so I didn't have any debt that I couldn't pay off in a year or two.
>>
>>25528682
As an Ontarian could I take advantage of cheap Quebec schooling?

>>25528613
I mean, you're not wrong

>>25528495
Cool anon, what are you taking?
>>
File: 1_webcam-toy-photo2.jpg (40 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1_webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
40 KB, 800x600
>>25528201
Nah man I wen't back in my late 20s fucking best thing I ever did with myself. I was there for an AoS as well as a certificate in webdev but I took a bunch of art classes and other shit since hey this is my one chance to goto college. Found out a lot about myself and what I could do while I was there.... Jut be careful not to get trapped in their fucking schemes. Public schools are no better than ITTech or whatever. They had a fucking high school biology teacher "teaching" us pythong, C# and shit... man I don't even half the class stayed the first 2 semesters, I know I bounced as soon as i realized this fucking nitwit couldn't code a helloworld in anything without a very specific edition of very specific books in front of her

tldr do it
>>
>>25528716
You can get cheaper schooling than international students but not the same rate as Quebec residents. I paid around $1,800 a semester at John Molson. For a Non-International Canadian it would be around $4000. It's around $8000 a semester if you want to go to McGill as a non resident. I have a friend who goes to U of Ottawa and as an Ontario resident and he pays around $4000 anyway, so unless you plan on becoming a resident, I don't see it being worth it.

Here's McGill's site if you do want to try to get a Quebec rate: https://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/quebec
>>
I did that, went back to school at 23. Easily the best decision I ever made, except maybe getting in shape. Do it anon, fuck all the negative stereotypes, once you're doing well everyone will be singing your praises.
>>
>>25529205
merci

>>25529238
cheers, appreciate the motivation anon
>>
Can I just give people here advice on schooling/work/careers? I think I finally have it figured out and want to share in the wealth.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.