[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I meet and talk to homeless people? I've been thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1421086302060.jpg (53 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1421086302060.jpg
53 KB, 640x360
How can I meet and talk to homeless people?

I've been thinking about this for a while now, besides for the rare few that might stab you or something, most seem like really nice and humble people, but have had life trample on them like it has for robots. I always see all these [SOCIAL EXPERIMENT] things and whatnot, and people are always giving them money (mostly just to feel good about themselves more than to help the person out) and they all just seem really patronizing. So I figure the best thing anyone could do for homeless people is to sit down and actually talk to them. To actually listen to them. Let them talk about their life story to someone who will actually care for once, or at least just give them an outlet to brighten their day a little. I feel like, if I do this I can learn all sorts of interesting stories and gain a deeper insight into the human condition as well. It'd be like feels threads but in real life.

Is this a good idea robots? Should I try to start talking to homeless people? How should I go about it?
>>
>>25518735
Volunteer at your nearest homeless shelter? I bet homeless people have all kinds of stories to tell. Maybe not happy ones, but a lot more interesting than those of someone that 80% of his time at home on his ass doing nothing productive.
>>
>>25518735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfU8TUZRtZg

Take this guy here, I'd love to have a conversation with this guy.
>>
>>25518735
I don't trust homeless people anymore ever since one scammed me out of $10
>>
File: 1366548662754.png (289 KB, 691x469) Image search: [Google]
1366548662754.png
289 KB, 691x469
>>25518825
>Volunteer at your nearest homeless shelter
You know that should really be the first thing anyone thinks of, but it never crossed my mind.
>>
>>25518735

The Dusty Show on WFMU... the radio hose goes out on the street and unassumingly interviews homeless people pretty regularly.
>>
Most homeless people are either mentally unstable or addicts.

So if you talk to a mentally unstable one all they will do is tell you retarded made up shit it might seem kind of funny at first but it gets old fast. Most of these people aren't violent but if you trigger them they can get belligerent really quick and this can be over something as innocuous as asking them about the weather.

As for the addicts, the smart ones will manipulate you, they are masters at this, their entire existence revolves around lying, cheating, and manipulating in order to get drugs which is the only thing they care about. The dumber ones will just rob you.

I know you likely have this mental image of the wayward hobo with a heart of gold who rides the rails and can tell you of his eccentric word view which ends with you learning something about yourself in the process but let me tell you this:

As someone who lives in one of the homeless capitals of North America (Vancouver) and works in the sketchiest part of town (East Hastings) everything you've been told about the homeless is a lie.

The homeless would rather grovel in the pouring rain on a dirty street corner than get a job. There's been plenty of experiments into this, some social programs in this country have even gone as far as to give these people rehab, housing, AND a job. You know what ends up happening? They leave rehab and go straight back to drugs, they destroy their social housing because they have no respect for anything in this world, least of all free handouts, then they skip work or steal from their boss and end up homeless again less than a year later. And they like it that way. The state and gullible samaritans like yourself take care of them and for some slight discomfort they never have to contribute anything to this world.

The homeless are the most selfish assholes on the planet and I'm sick of people lionizing them.
>>
>>25519206
>mfw you are a hobo with a heart of gold.
You're not wrong.
>>
soup kitchens are an awesome place for this. I have a couple homeless homies who i sometimes share a cigarette with when I'm in the neighborhood
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.