[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats it like going to a doctor / physiatrist its my first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9
File: virtualhug.gif (142 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
virtualhug.gif
142 KB, 300x300
Whats it like going to a doctor / physiatrist

its my first time going tommorow morning, just to a doctor who i presume will book me in with a physiatrist ?

what kind of questions do they ask? whats it like?

and general mental health/complaining thread
>>
File: whymustitbelikethis.png (109 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
whymustitbelikethis.png
109 KB, 633x758
any experiences, anyone?
>>
File: 1396904663875.jpg (617 KB, 1050x1200) Image search: [Google]
1396904663875.jpg
617 KB, 1050x1200
Psychologists/psychiatrists usually start with the question "why are you here" or "what do you believe I can do for you" and go from there.
If you think you're depressed they'll probably ask you questions about how you've been feeling lately , how long you've felt like that and why you think you've been feeling like that.

There are a bunch of standard questions they'll ask, none of which I feel are really important to know beforehand.

Be honest. Lying will only cost the both of you time.
>>
>>25497061
is it 100% confidentl? how do they treat you? i dont wanna be treated like a basket case.
>>
File: 1396905413584.jpg (348 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1396905413584.jpg
348 KB, 640x800
>>25497151
They ask your permission to relay information to others if it is thought to be needed.

How you'll be treated I can't really say, different people seem to have different methods which is why it is important to find a shrink you feel comfortable with.
I also think that if you're feeling vulnerable you might sooner think that they will think you're nuts while really they're just being careful with what they say/ask because they don't know you yet.

In general doctors/shrinks are understanding because, that is what they're there for after all: to help people.

May I ask what you're going to see the doctor for?
Just curious.
>>
File: NPxT9db.png (71 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
NPxT9db.png
71 KB, 250x187
>>25497151
it is usually confidential, I think they have some procedure for patients they feel to be a 'threat to society' or whatever, but in general it's confidential

they're used to seeing basket cases, and generally know how to deal with them, but this is variable between doctors, you can look up reviews for doctors online

also, avoid antipsychotics and antidepressants, unless you're severely schizophrenic or manic

if you're depressed, anxious or only slightly bipolar AVOID serotonergic drugs, norepinephric drugs, and dopamine partial agonists/antagonists

It's a waste of time to go to a psychiatrist for depression, go to a psychologist instead (but even that may be a waste of time, depending on the person)
>>
>>25497306
Thank you. I am going for paranoia and depression. this is the only place ive ever admitted to someone
>>25497430
What would be considered a threat? Yeah, im just seeing where they will refer me to, thats why im seeing the doctor.
>>
File: 1396905482565.jpg (447 KB, 955x1200) Image search: [Google]
1396905482565.jpg
447 KB, 955x1200
>>25497473
Ah, they'll probably ask you if you see or hear things that aren't real.
Don't let that rub you the wrong way though, that's one of the standard questions.

>What would be considered a threat?
I know that if they feel you are an immediate threat to yourself and/or others they can force you into a closed psych ward.
But I don't believe they are allowed to disclose information to just anyone if they feel you might pose a threat to people.
>>
>>25497664
Alright cool, thanks

do they ask about substances?? how do they treat them?? whats their views on it?? also a threat in what way? if i have felt like not living would that be suicidal and forced to go to a hospital?
>>
File: 1447644070934.jpg (89 KB, 480x459) Image search: [Google]
1447644070934.jpg
89 KB, 480x459
>>25497473
>What would be considered a threat?
displaying violent and unstable tendencies, along with some sort of violent planning
literal threats against other people, like saying 'I am going to murder my boss'
they won't narc on you for just saying you hate someone, or even that you wish they were dead, they will only report people who they think are genuinely dangerous

>I am going for paranoia and depression
they're going to give you an SSRI to start out with, and maybe an antipsychotic when that doesn't work

it is very unlikely that it will help you if your symptoms are severe, you will not get anything useful claiming you have depression or paranoia, rephrase your paranoia concerns as anxiety, then you can get benzos. rephrase your depression concerns as ADHD and mental instability, then you can get dopaminergic drugs, like amphetamines and methylphenidate. these will actually help with your symptoms, but they're not very sustainable and will most likely end with withdrawal and worse symptoms later, but perhaps you can use them to get your life back on track.
>>
File: 1396905587185.jpg (478 KB, 1178x1200) Image search: [Google]
1396905587185.jpg
478 KB, 1178x1200
>>25497771
I can't answer the first part.
They do ask you if you drink, smoke or do drugs but since I do none of those things I have no idea how they react.

They feel you're an immediate threat to yourself or others if they believe you will seriously injure yourself or others between now and soon.
So if you tell them you're planning to kill yourself next wednesday then they might feel you're an immediate threat to yourself.
Or if they have the idea that you aren't in control of yourself and might seriously injure the people around you because of it you they might consider you an immediate threat to others.

Saying you're feeling suicidal might make them offer you pills depending on the severity/frequency of your thoughts but in my experience they'll try to solve things without medication first (this does differ per therapist).
>>
>>25497832
Thanks man, thats good, was scared if i said anything negative they might think its suicidal and id be on record and what not.

SSRI seems good , but honeslty id prefar benzos. I had legit ADD already since a kid but was never treated for it due to circumstances. Withdrawl is fine and would be ok to do it again.

>>25497977
Thanks man, helps allot. very nervous i have never been before.
>>
>>25497664
If you disclose a specific name a psychiatrist is legally obligated to alert the individual and the authorities. So when you are raginf about killing or wanting to hurt be general or vague about who and they are still under the patient doctor privilege and cant tell anyone without losing their license.
>>
>>25498295
I dont want to murder anyone, or even myself. i just sometimes think of death or life without me in it. is that a threat??
>>
File: 1441933155173.jpg (101 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
1441933155173.jpg
101 KB, 507x338
>>25498308
no
they most likely won't send you to the loony bin for being suicidal unless you're actively trying to kill yourself, and they most certainly won't alert any authorities
>>
>>25498389
Thanks dude. Thats fine so
>>
>>25497306
>In general doctors/shrinks are understanding because, that is what they're there for after all: to help people.
they're there to feel better about themselves by proving to themselves that they "understand" how others think and feel

it's about empowering themselves, that's why they chose such a profession
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.