[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else /nowillpower/ here? I've tried to quit smoking,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: lung-cancer.jpg (35 KB, 400x198) Image search: [Google]
lung-cancer.jpg
35 KB, 400x198
Who else /nowillpower/ here?
I've tried to quit smoking, nofap, diet, exercise, getting off the computer, quitting vidya, and I always come back. How do you willpower?
>>
I successfully quit weed and cigs

just b urself
>>
>>25488810
'Mindfulness meditation'.

It builds willpower awesomely.

Oh, also, it will also reduce your willpower to pursuit of socializing and wasting your time outside, but hey, it's willpower still.
>>
>>25488857
Last time I did that shit, my eyes darted up inside of my eyesocks and tried to roll back on themselves really fucking hard, it hurt.
>>
File: 1441226267683.jpg (109 KB, 901x883) Image search: [Google]
1441226267683.jpg
109 KB, 901x883
>>25488857
...but then I need willpower to stop shitposting and look up how to meditate...
>>
>Believes in black smokers' lung
Your problem is that you're plain stupid.
>>
Tried to quit drinking. Always end up cracking again.
>>
>>25488810
i successfully achieved diet, nofap and quitting vidya, but i still smoke a lot, don't exercise, spend most days on the computer
>>
>>25488810

one thing at a time...i read alan carrs quit no smoking book and it put the addiction into context...then like a year later i got bad throat and a hangover on same day...lungs heavy from smoking night before....and i havent touched them since....i thnk best time to quit smoking is the day after a heavy night when your lungs are screaming and you want to puke...
>>
>>25488810
at least you dont drink right? thats something
>>
>>25488810
It's not so much of will power as it is self-discipline. You need to discipline yourself to do (or not do) things that you don't (or do) want to do.
>>
>>25489391
That's true. I don't drink very often. Can't stand the taste.
Ironically, there are several full blown alcoholics in my family, I just never latched onto that.
>>
>If you have been drinking 20 or more standard drinks a day then we recommend that on the first day of your taper you drink one beer per hour starting when you wake up in the morning for a total of 16 beers the first day. On the second day drink one beer every hour and a half for a total of ten beers. Then continue to taper down by reducing the amounts by two beers per day until you are down to zero.

>If your BASELINE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION is less than 20 drinks per day then we recommend reducing consumption by two standard drinks per day. For example, if you have been drinking an average of 12 drinks per day then your taper schedule can be 10 beers the first day, 8 the second, 6 the third, 4 the fourth, 2 the fifth and 0 the sixth day. Likewise if your average consumption is 6 standard drinks per day you can set a taper schedule of 4, 2, 0.

Is this legit? apparently I am just a little over 6 standard drinks per day (I'm a confused britbong so this should 11.5 units I think..) but it seems a bit fast, even though it isn't that much of an amount in the first place compared to people on bottles of vodka and the like.

http://www.hamsnetwork.org/taper/
>>
The only way to truly quit smoking is to avoid second hand smoke like the plague.

The initial physical withdrawal you experience lasts for 2-3 days. I successfully quit cold turkey in 2010 when I realized that after I went through the initial withdrawal, I was causing it to reoccur every time I went over to a friends house who smoked. By sitting in a confined area while they smoked, I was inhaling their second hand nicotine, and after I left I would be going through withdrawls all over again, which was hell.

I eventually just cut out all smokers from my social pool. None of my current friends smoke, and if I find out someone does smoke I refrain from socializing with them.

Haven't had a cig in nearly 5 years.
>>
i quitted smoking in 2013
>>
>>25488810
I've quit smoking 6 years ago, but started smoking again like 3 months ago because nothing in my life is going how I would like it to go.

I know smoking doesn't help, but it gives temporary relief and relaxation...
>>
>>25488810
Do you know why you have no willpower?

It's because your parents either neglected you or overindulged you. You never developed the self control skills you need for the rest of life. You missed that critical window.

Not to mention, if your parents did that, they probably dont have very high conscientiousness either. You were doomed from the started. This is your genetic destiny.
>>
>>25488810
I quit weed and highly reduced cigs when getting sick and I couldnt smoke for few days. Then I tried not to start back, although I still smoke some cigarette now and then, but I went from pack a day to one cig every few days.
>>
File: 1422983052075.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1422983052075.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>25488810
i dont understand the cigarettes meme

i've tried them, at my old job this lady would offer me a menthol avery week or two, i'd accept, smoke it, get high for a few minutes and that would be it

im 18, i can buy them, but i've never had an urge to smoke another or go out and buy a pack
>>
>>25488857
Is there any specific method of meditation you'd recommend? Every time I try to do that shit I just get bored.
>>
>>25488810
You don't need willpower when it comes to drugs, you just don't fucking do it.
>>
>>25490233
This. It's the same shit with overeating. It takes more initiative to get up and do the damn thing instead of just sitting there.
>>
>>25489441
This, OP. Willpower and/or motivation are inherently fleeting. Take advantage of them when they come, but do not rely on them. Only discipline is unyielding.
>>
>>25489835
Same here.

The only reason I smoked them was so I had a reason to go outside. But then I realized the health effects aren't worth it.

And if you smoke more than a couple per week, they end up doing nothing. You don't feel anything at all. The first time I smoked was pretty fun. I got so buzzed I couldn't stand up straight.
>>
I have major willpower issues, but even I was able to kick alcohol. Just couldn't handle being hungover every day. I don't deal with pain very well so I eventually just gave it up.

Now I'm hooked on Kratom, however. Really need to bring my usage down. I've tried to eliminate it here and there but I wasn't aware how much it helped with my anxiety until I didn't take it.

>>25490233
>>25490462
that's not how addiction works.
>>
>>25489835
It's a slippery slope

You smoke one or two every now and then, but after a while, you start wanting the buzz every day, then every couple hours, until you start smoking every chance you get. Then the buzz stops. You can no longer enjoy a cigarette. You contemplate quitting for a while since it doesn't seem worth it and you want the buzz again, and you figure a solid tolerance break will get it back.

But it's already too late. Your brain has already made the connection that cigarettes = dopamine production. Even waiting a few hours before taking a cigarette gives you the worst feelings imaginable. You get headaches, mood swings, and even body-aches if it's severe enough. Before you know it, you're lighting up a cigarette again, and you discover all those feelings go away once you inhale the precious smoke. You now have to smoke cigarettes just to feel normal. You have to smoke every hour or else the bad feelings come back.

Outside, you sit on some concrete stairs smoking the last cigarette in your pack after getting an unbearable craving. As the cigarette slowly burns out, you can't help but contemplate if the honeymoon period of getting a short 5-minute head rush every now and then was really worth becoming dependent on nicotine.

You may not be addicted now, and that's good because you shouldn't start when you don't have a need for it. But some people (like me) are weak and just want to keep pleasuring ourselves ad nauseam.

I took up Vaping now so it's a little healthier, but I wish I never started in the first place.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.