[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morrowind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Morrowind_1 (1).jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_1 (1).jpg
18 KB, 320x240
So I'm thinking of giving this game a go again but as a mage. Is magic viable in Morrowind? I heard it was a bitch to level up and use.
>>
>>25482578
No I believe it is not. Some schools of magic are total shit iirc, mods are recommended.
>>
>>25482578
It's a pain in the ass to be a mage without mods. If you don't install any other mod, at least install Fair Magicka Regen. It makes mages far more viable so you don't have to abuse alchemy. There are also some unofficial patches and balance mods that I would also highly recommend.
>>
>>25482578
it is a bitch. but you can spam firebite or any other spell to raise destruction. or get rich and find a destruction master trainer NPC somewhere standing around.

or just play Skyrim. at least magic is fun in that game.
>>
>>25482589
>>25482620
It seems like pre Oblivion magic was not nice. I never played morrowind with high magic emphasis personally tho.
>>
>>25482578
Get some mods m8, for magic I use
Fair magicka regen v2B by Smoke you can find it on tesnexus I also use some others like Enchanting made possible by RushPwnsX
and new morrowind casting animations by thuggqwerty
they help improve the games magic system
>>
>>25482578
the magic system is incredibly fun with all of the different spells you can make, don't be afraid to experiment by creating new spells you can always delete them from your spellbook later if you have to.
>>
>>25482578
mark and recall, and levitation are the shit there's so many things you can do with just those spells.
>>
OP here. Morrowind thread too.
>>
>>25482640
>Skyrim magic
>Fun
Boring is the word you're looking for
>>
if you don't play as a thief or rogue you're a normie
>>
>>25482972
Is thieving easy in Morrowind, senpai?
>>
>>25482972
nigga i love being an argonian thief in oblivion, just completely clearing out every place you come by. robbed every enterable building in one playthrough

>you will never be a lovable sneak who sells stolen goods

I wish I was good at the original Thief games. Nothing more comfy than stealth and committing crimes.
>>
if you want a mage that's good with all types of magic then go with a breton they're the best pure mage class there is and pick the magic skills as your main ones
>>
>>25483071
it's harders since npcs dont move around as much. If you really want a challenge try robbing the great house valuts in vivec undetected without killing everyone it's almost impossible and it forces you to really get creative with a combination of magic/stealth and enchantments if you want to do it.
>>
>>25482578
join house telvanni theyve got some weird quests and are the most interesting house in my opinion, nothing beats being part of a group of reclusive, slightly insane, ancient wizards that live in giant magical mushrooms
>>
Magic in Morrowind is really powerful, more than the sequels. You do need to level it first. Here is what I suggest, just google for details on how to do this stuff:

1. Go join the mage's guild ASAP. You'll have access to shops, spells, fast travel.

2. Level alchemy to make money, tons of guides for this online. You can use the mage's guild to bounce between towns buying up ingredients and eventually selling potions for big profits. You're going to need these for ..

3. Custom spells! Pay to learn different spells from trainers in the different mage's guild buildings. If you do some quests for them you'll have access to more. Find one of those things that let you make custom spells and make it a "cast ___ on self" for all different schools of magic. For destruction you can do 1 point of damage on yourself, make a healing spell that lets you recover too as well as all the miscellaneous effects you have access too.

4. Go find a private area with a bed (guild has plenty) and start spamming spells on yourself! You get stat points as you level based on the skills you work on, so mix up what you train as you level. Continue until you're insanely powerful.

5. You did it! Now you'll want some spells that don't suck, your mp pool and skill levels will be high enough for some very interesting and powerful custom spells. Experiment and find what stuff you like. It can get expensive but alchemy makes you all the money you'll ever need, plus you can get potions to help you be even more powerful in combat (a stack of potions equals unlimited MP in a fight).

This process is a bit more tedious than oblivion/skyrim but the level of power you can reach is way higher. Being a caster with custom spells and enchanted gear in Morrowind means you can fly, be invisible, paralyze/drain every enemy so they are easy prey, the possibilities are endless.
>>
fucking everyone uses fair magicka regen

it genuinely is overpowered as shit though if you turn it up to any appreciable level

my balance point is to set the magicka regen at the point where it'll recharge decently within 10-20~ minutes, so that it's viable to use while travelling and i can roleplay that i'm resting when it's natural to do so, instead of having to just hammer the rest button and hoard 50,000 potions

i don't really like having it regen super quickly so i can spam like it's an ARPG
>>
Its not easy, you'll have to level it and stock up on potions.

But when you're strong in magic, there is almost NOTHING that can stop you.

Have a locked door? Use magic to open it.
Need to improve dispositipn, and dont want to spend thousands of gold bribing them? Charm them with a spell.
Getting swarmed by hard hitting warhammer wielding orcs? Cast levitate and burn them from above.

Morrowind is the best TeS game when it comes to magic, because you will have to actually study it and give it a lot of dedication to get rewarded.

I wouldnt install a regen mod, as that would literally make you overpowered.
>>
>>25482961
shut up, faggot cuck loser.
>>
Jumping spells for travel
>>
How do I improve Morrowind's performance on modern computers? I read it wasn't good at running on newer systems.
>>
>>25485350
Morrowind is bottle necked to hell for some reason.

I believe there is a project called Open Morrowind building the game from he ground up for modern systems which is well along or recently completed.

https://openmw.org/en/
>>
>>25482578
>>25482726
The fact that spells like jump and levitation were taken out of the sequels really shows the faults with Bethesda's approach to the newer games. Morrowind let you play around with the magic system in crazy ways to where you could become a total god by the end of the game, which was incredibly satisfying after starting the game with little to nothing. The sense of progression was something Morrowind nailed and they've screwed up completely in Skyrim, where it's impossible to be bad in any of the skills.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.