[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University Major Counseling - AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 8
File: college.jpg (167 KB, 900x695) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
167 KB, 900x695
>Why should I ask you anything?
I spent the entirety of 2015, every single day on researching university majors, and have created videos and hundreds of threads on the subject.

This is the last thread I am ever going to make on the subject, ending a daily streak for the past 370 days. This thread will be the climax, or apex of my full year of research.

Any questions or concerns, I will answer. Keep in mind that I am based in the USA.
>>
>>25480938
How employable will computer engineering and engineering systems and computing be in the near future, say, 5-6 years from now?
>>
I literally have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, what's a major for a simpleton that will yield a decent/secure payout
>>
>>25480938
Why are student counselors such shitheads? The one that was assigned to me was a double major in African history and women's studies. Not exactly the type I want advice from
>>
Why did my dickhead advisor convince a naive younger me that psychology was not a bad major? Does he hate me?
>>
What are some ways I can figure out what I really want to do or what my passion is

I need some ideas because I lurk 4chan all day
>>
op here nevermind i changed my mind don't feel like doing the thread anymore

call it off boys
>>
File: college-laptop-classroom.jpg (60 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
college-laptop-classroom.jpg
60 KB, 500x246
>>25481012
You will have an easier time with Electrical Engineering as the scope is broad compared to Computer Engineering, and Computer Engineering is a fairly vague degree that is different at every university you look at, but generally it is simply an Electrical Engineering degree with an automatic focus in digital logic systems. It is simply a specialization of Electrical Engineering, for the most part, just as Aerospace Engineering, for the most part, is a specialization of Mechanical Engineering. Electrical & Computer Engineering aren't growing at even an average rate. You can blame this partially on H1B visas, as many Electrical & Computer Engineers already are doing so.
>>
>>25480938
What's the easiest major besides art bullshit? At this point I just want to be done with school.
>>
>>25480938
Mathematics.

I'm planning on starting the course in 2017.

What are career prospects, and which major (Applied, Pure, Maths with X subject) should I take up?
>>
Comp Sci - Game Design from UC Santa Cruz. Thoughts?
>>
File: oh_wait_youre_serious.jpg (31 KB, 363x310) Image search: [Google]
oh_wait_youre_serious.jpg
31 KB, 363x310
>>25481272
>Game Design
>>
CS, applied math, or biochemistry?
>>
>>25481026
This question is just not compatible with life and you need to get rid of it, quickly. If you're not interested in anything, don't go. You need to have something that you are looking forward to, that you can see a future in, not only in societies future, but in your personal future.

If you don't have that special reason to be in your program, you will not be as happy, as motivated, or as successful in your program as the people who do have a reason. It's that simple.

I can't tell you what to do because I don't know what you're thinking. I don't even know you well enough to give some sort of personal recommendation based on what I feel like you've always been good at throughout our friendship. All degrees that employers are offering middle-class salaries to graduates are challenging programs, all of them.
>>
>>25481321
You think maybe I should just do regular Comp Sci, and if the opportunity presents itself, design games? It's really what I would like to do in life.
>>
What made you decide to research university majors for an entire year OP?
>>
Is paralegal a glorified secretary?
Is it worth trying to get into law school from a regionally ranked college? What should I major in - english/political science/etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 163x170) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 163x170
>>25481272
>Game Design
>2nd most original
>>
>>25481331
In relation to what?

>>25481057
>>25481039
Advisors in high schools and universities have no idea of what they're talking about. They wouldn't be "advisors" making $27,500 a year if they did. They are typical people that are doing a job for a paycheck. It just so happens that the jobs they're doing can potentially fuck up many peoples lives because people assume they are credible in any way and put weight into their opinions.
>>
>>25480938
Should I become a software engineer or an electrical engineer?

I'm going to a state school this fall to double major in ee/cs and I'd like to hear your thoughts.
>>
>>25481420
Law in general, from the research I've done, is an absolute shit-show and has been since the 1990s.

If you want to go into law, major in Philosophy if you can handle it. They always do very well, sometimes better than any other major on the LSAT. Economics is also a typically high scorer. Although, these are typically the more challenging of the humanities and social science majors, so it may simply be the more intelligent students majoring in the harder programs doing better by themselves.
>>
>>25481457
Options for majoring are

Bs in CS
Minor in applied math

Bs in applied math
Minor in CS

Bs in biochem and do med school

I'm in a division 2 school and there are only 3 engineering majors but theyre weird hippy rececyling related things. Watdo?
>>
>>25480938
I'm majoring in Poli Sci and it's too late to go back, is there any way to salvage this?
>>
>>25481551
My research has brought me to the conclusion many times that double majors are a waste of your time and money. It will take you more time, and because of this it will take you more time and possibly also cost you a higher GPA.

It is easier for an electrical engineer to go into software engineering than it is for a software engineer to go into electrical engineering, typically.

If I was you, and if you are equally interested in both, I would look at which is a higher ranking at your specific university that you go to, and if one has a substantially higher rank, pick that one. This is simply what I'd say with the little information you've given me, though. You'd have to go into more detail.
>>
File: 1434072483643s.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1434072483643s.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
Okay OP I need help. I failed out of college last year and I need to come back with a plan.

Strengths
>top 1% nationally on reading SAT
>excellent writer
>quick eloquent debater
>was leader of mental hospital teen group, even as a fucking loser, because i could naturally see the intricacies of people's problems (INFJ type)

I am mediocre at math. Sciences are also okay but I am far naturally better at non "hard science" things like Psychology.

What do you recommend I major in?
>>
>>25480938
How much of a chance will I have to land a decent job, graduating with a B.S. in chem in two years? Very little or fuck all?
>>
OP, does your expertise extend to resumes, job searching, career opportunities?
>>
this sounds exciting. I have been looking often for advice like this

what's a good short term credential or skill I can pick up that'll lead to good paying work? I was thinking accounting or maybe trying to pick up a trade as an electrician. Also, can you tell me if systems science is just a meme masters or does it have actual work connected to it?

advice on a poli sci major would also be good
>>
I like autistic organization and can do math up to basic calculus well. I would do engineering but that much math is just too much for me, is accounting the best major to go with?
>>
>>25481642
>It will take you more time, and because of this it will cost you more money and possibly also cost you a higher GPA.
fixed an error

>>25481626
Why did you choose Political Science? I need more details of your situation.

>>25481622
From the research I've done, asking many, many medical students and residents, unless you want to be a doctor more than anything else in the world, take that idea out of your head of going to medical school. It will be a waste of your time and money, otherwise. Even if this was the case and you were serious, I wouldn't choose Biochemistry as my pre-medical degree.

I feel that a Computer Science degree with extra math will be more useful to you than an Applied Math degree with a minor in Computer Science will be. An Applied Math degree with a minor in Computer Science would barely, barely prepare you for a job related to Computer Science.
>>
>>25481665
Law
>>
>>25481642
The thing is, I'm not very self-motivated or ambitious. I'm also fairly indecisive. I reason that the two have significant overlap, and seeing that I have an interest in both, I don't think it would be that terrible.

The school I'll be going to is the University of Iowa. It'll cost me most likely somewhere around 25,000 a year. I'm mostly concerned with a good salary, good work-life balance down the line, and job security. I'm not opposed to busting my ass off in university and working long hours, though. A high salary is important because I have a lifelong, expensive chronic illness.

The problem is, I don't have that much experience or passion in either area. I consider myself fairly intelligent, and in the computer science course I took in high school I did fairly well. I think I'd be pretty competent and adept in whichever one I'd choose, but then I'm terrified of just hating my job and hating my life.

How do I spend the next semester of high school preparing for college and for my intended path(s)? Should I bust my ass programming now? I honestly feel so much anxiety over this it's ridiculous, and I'm probably rambling at this point. Do you have some other way I could contact you? A throwaway email or Steam?
>>
>>25481553
>>25481420
Also interested in law here
Is history a good major if I want to pursue a career in law?
>>
>>25481272
Was about to be in the exact same position but then UC Irvine came thru
>>
>>25481809
Not OP, but I assume it would be almost as good as philosophy considering they're both very similar fields.
>>
I want to write/make movies.

Should I bother going to college, or just mooch off my parents as long as possible while working on those two passions?

Currently 19.
>>
>>25481665
This is tough, because you could very well be pumping up your actual abilities. If it is all true, then you should go into something in the Liberal Arts. The issue is that what you've given me opens you up to most degrees. Even being mediocre at math does not disqualify you from going into a math-heavy program. Obviously, i could say something related to writing, but these things depend more on you as a person than your skills. I just don't feel like I have enough information and might have to come back to this one.

>>25481678
Chemistry is a fairly field. If you don't want to go to graduate school and specialize, you will have a harder career. What comes to mind immediately after reading your post is education. I don't know if that's what you want to hear, but Chemistry in particular is in a strange spot of not being useful enough by Insurance companies for analyst positions like Physics and Math majors would be, for example.
>>
how can i have sex with college girls?
>>
personal contact for private conversation? (skype)
>>
How fucked am I that Im a sophomore but a year behind considering that I couldnt pass 4 classes? My gpa is absolute shit but it's above a 2.0 so Im not on academic probation. What should I do? Take 6 classes a quarter and community college courses in the summer? Im a mathematical science major at a UC
>>
Is a computer science degree going to be saturated in the coming years or is that just a meme?
If i get a computer science engineering degree at univeristy of Michigan and perhaps masters in it, will that benefit me more than another engineering degree would?
>>
I want to be game designer/director one day.
Should I just major in Computer Science to get into a game studio, then work my way up? Or major in Game Design?

What do?
>>
Is mechanical engineering a good degree or is it a meme degree and I should look into electrical eng?
>>
I don't know what I like. I spend most of each day on 4chan. I would say that philosophy and physics interest me but not enough that I could earn a degree in either one. I usually read a bit about some particular topic until I find that I want to go back to lurking the chans. Should I take some general Ed classes at my local CC?
>>
>>25481762

I'm >>25481626

I'm not very good at math or actual hard sciences but am very interested in politics and I am solid at writing. Otherwise I am directionless and chose political science largely because I live near the Washington DC area so there are a fair amount opportunities for internships, leading me to believe it's not as entirely useless as it is for most of the country.

However I'm not sure how getting an internship works through political science, it all seems incredibly vague. A huge problem I have is that I've only ever had one job, as a loader in a shipping warehouse. I am also not good at selling myself in interviews.

Even if i do get some sort of internship, it could be a dead end and end up being a lot of wasted time, so is there a feasible way you can see in applying the political science major to a job?
>>
>>25481733
There is no such thing that isn't physically/mentally debilitating, or simply not what you think it is. Trades are not something to respect. A tradesman is a disposable, replaceable human being that performs relatively elementary tasks given to him by managers via the products of what engineers create using what scientists discover. That's my opinion, of course, but sprinkled with facts.

Why do you want to go into Political Science?

>>25481755
>Accounting
If you are serious in your description of yourself, then yes, I would say that it is a choice that makes sense. You have to keep in mind that Accounting is an extremely popular major and saturation, as well as automation are concerns to keep in mind.

What do you mean by "that much math" though? Is the amount of work engineers work through, the issue?

>>25481809
History is not a bad choice, but from my research, Philosophy and Economics are typically the better choices, as they will, on average, have the highest scores on the LSAT, for what that's worth. History would be fine if Law is the only path you want to take.
>>
>>25482009
Im not OP but if I were you, Id start in getting into comp sci and attending those competitions where programming students create games. Also ask a programmer from a big company and an indie developer for input
>>
>>25481244
OP, please respond? In terms of career prospects and other stuff you think is important.

(Do note that I'm very interested in mathematics in general, or at least most fields)
>>
>>25482040
I agree, I've worked manual labor for years and absolutely hate it. But I'm going to have to go into debt to cover university costs and was thinking it might be worth it to invest in a small "career" I could work the summers to pay off my real one? Do you know of any certs of trades I can pick up for something like this?

I would like to work as a policy analyst. I'm also a little ashamed of studying what increasingly loos like a bogus degree to me and was thinking a masters in systems science (which I'm interested in anyways and is more science-related) might help me out a little?
>>
File: 1448862996697.png (226 KB, 393x401) Image search: [Google]
1448862996697.png
226 KB, 393x401
Fuck college, I have rich parents. Which one of you wants to be a neet trap maid for me?

I'll put you on hormones and buy you anime figures.
>>
>>25481793
>The thing is, I'm not very self-motivated or ambitious. I'm also fairly indecisive
These are excuses that you need to push out of your head. If you are as you describe, then I don't think that you would make it through any intensive program with a respectable GPA. The good thing is that these are excuses that can be done away with, and you're not what you say you are.

Passion is a cliche that is not required to do well in a program. There are students enrolled in intensive programs who will admit to you that they are simply interested in complex problems and hard work to keep their minds busy, and don't care much about the field.

As for until university begins, I would try to rid yourself of those excuses and figure out whether or not you'd actually be interested in either of these programs. They are intensive. Many people drop out, and you could possibly fall to the same fate if you don't look more into them. Burning yourself out before university isn't a good idea, though.
>>
Will having a degree in English still be useless in the future

As long as i write books and not be poor and depressed. I may switch my my major to english while I still have time because chemistry right now is making me sad.
>>
>>25482177
You don't need a degree in english to write a book
>>
What career options will I have with a BA in anthropology? MA in anthropology?

I just switched my major last week, STEM is not for me
>>
>>25482177
>Will having a degree in English still be useless in the future
It will always be useless unless you want to be a high school english teacher or english professor in high school 2.0

>As long as i write books and not be poor and depressed. I may switch my my major to english
You don't need a degree for that, stupid. An English major also won't improve your writing skills by much. You'd be wasting a lot of time and money.

>chemistry right now is making me sad
Loling @ your life
>>
>>25482191
But I wanna write fiction man

And i dont want to be some autist out of left field who will lose fame a year later
>>
I would prefer to go into aeronautical engineering, but if that is difficult to get a career in (without many connections) would nuclear engineering be any better?
>>
>>25481457
My advisor convinced me (17 at the time and wanted to go to law school) that east Asian languages was a good major because I took Chinese in HS. I got Cs in Japanese and Linguistics and murdered my GPA. I applied to university with a 95% in Social and history but she never brought up poli sci as an option . I'm so glad I figured out my shit after a year. I'm in poli now and I'm loving it.
>>
>>25481936
I'm not sure about this yet, but possibly if there is such a demand.

>>25481966
University of Michigan, if I remember correctly, is one of the top universities in the world for Mechanical Engineering. If I'm wrong, I'll reply to this post. I say this because top rankings are important. They are more important than most people realize. It will make your life much easier to be enrolled in the #1-3 Mechanical Engineering program in the country instead of the #30 Computer Science program in the country, obviously. Have a respectable GPA in such a highly ranked program and you will be quickly snatched up by your graduation. If you didn't mention University of Michigan, none of what I just said would be relevant.

As for saturation of Computer Science, it is a very popular degree, if my memory serves me, it is the most popular STEM degree there is. It opens you up to such a gigantic field, though, that I can't say whether or not saturation is an issue. I'd have to refresh my memory with Computer Science statistics to be sure, though.

>>25482016
Mechanical Engineering is less popular than Electrical Engineering. Both are very broad curriculums. They are unspecialized degrees, and there is no reason that they should not exist, to answer your concern on the "meme" aspect.
>>
>>25482177
You're obviously a failure in life
>>25482123
would you like to apply to becoming my maid?
>>
>>25480938
About to get my bachelors, then gonna go for my MBA. Tell why its a dumb idea.

>inb4 you cant
>>
>>25482251

Then write that fucking novel now. Don't want for the 'wait until you get a degree' meme.

GET WRITING. Also be prepared to face rejection, know rejection, and be able to cope with getting past rejection. Stephen King's book "Carrie" was rejected a gorillion times before it finally got published. It's part of the writing world.
>>
>>25482034
>I would say that philosophy and physics interest me
Why would you say that?

As for taking classes at your community college... I don't think that it would help you any more than taking seriously an MIT OCW course or something from Coursera, for example. It would save time and money, as well. Maybe I'm wrong and you need the experience of sitting in a class with other people, though. I can't tell you that.
>>
>>25481244

OP, been waiting an hour for a reply to this

>>25482281
>>
>>25481244
Just be a petroleum engineer, stupid.
>>
>>25482035
I truly don't know if I have an answer for this. There are things like think tanks where you can work as some sort of policy analyst. Don't worry about jobs you've had before university, though. Employers don't care about anything unrelated to your degree, typically. Take this answer with a grain of salt because I don't feel that it's sufficient. Someone that has gone through the same process with a Political Science degree will definitely be able to help you more than I can.
>>
>>25482251
okay. But maybe what you'd benefit from equally as well is just a creative writing group to workshop with?

They exist. Or you can take one of those evening group courses which are equally fun. Reading fiction you can basically just do on your own time
>>
>>25481244
Your question isn't even a question that I would have to answer. If you want to go into Mathematics, then that's great. Look into what you are specifically interested in related to mathematics and pursue that, specifically. I shouldn't need to tell you anything. Career prospects? This all depends on how far you go with your education. With a bachelors, you're in the realm of working as some sort of analyst for some middle-class salary. There are so many routes you can take with mathematics, and I don't know enough about you to give you any particular recommendation.

As for everyone ITT, I am writing all of these answers back to back. I can only go so quickly.
>>
Help me, guys. I was a bad student in high school, didn't really expect to go to college. Went to community for 2 years, graduated, went to UMass and majored in communications. It's a broad and stupid liberal arts degree, but at the time I wanted to be a sportswriter. Now I've been graduated for 6 months and haven't really found work.

I'm only $15k in debt from 4 years. I could get a mcjob and go back to community for something, pay off debt, and get another bachelors degree?

I suck at math...I was thinking Computer Science, something in business, or maybe like Agriculture for growing weed in groweries.

What's a decent paying, non-super math heavy field? I can write essays and shit but I don't really wanna bust my ass taking aderall and doing math 4 hours a day

I was leaning towards Comp Sci because they make lots of money starting but the coursework looks...math heavy and boring as fuck honestly

wat do
>>
>>25482446
Alright, thanks man

>>25482357
Why?
>>
>>25482177
You can go into education. English is one of the most popular degrees and the career prospects specific to the degree are fairly slim.

>>25482273
Nuclear Engineering is typically a specialization of Mechanical Engineering. The current careers that require a Nuclear Engineering degree, specifically, from my research, is a small pool. Baby-boomers retiring will open the pool, but with how many Nuclear Engineers there are, I would not count on easily securing a career in Nuclear Engineering. I am speaking particularly of Nuclear Energy, but Nuclear Medicine is also another area that you can go into.
>>
how important is extra curricular activities for university? Things such as joining clubs. Do businesses look at that after college or is it mainly for networking?
>>
The university I'm planning to transfer to has a pre-med biology program. If I want to be a veterinarian, should I take that or just biology (or some other major)?
>>
>>25482322
To your first question: I think you partly gave me an answer in a different response in which you said something to the effect of "they are interested in complex problems and keeping their minds busy." I suppose that has something to do with my being drawn to philosophy and physics. I'll be sure to check out MIT ocw.

Btw what was your major and why'd you choose it
>>
>>25482469
For example, if you had an interest in Software Engineering, a background in Mathematics will prove to be very useful to you if you were ever to jump into the industry. That's an obvious example, though. That's all I have to say on it, though.

>>25482533
They are very important. A 3.5 GPA with plenty of extra-curricular activity that is related to the major will be much more impressive than a 4.0 GPA with little activity. It is partially for networking, but mostly to show employers what you are doing in your own time. They want to see that you are passionate about what you are studying. They want someone that lives and breathes what they need. Related projects and extra-curricular activities on your own time will show that. I can't emphasize this enough more than everything I've said in this thread, probably.
>>
>>25480938
I want to go into medicine but I don't know what kind of doctor to be, what are the best majors in terms of difficulty/job satisfaction?
>>
>>25480938
Thoughts on Economics
>>
>>25482600
So basically, introverts should just kill themselves now because they cannot network or even into extra-curricular.
>>
Is accounting worth majoring in?
>>
Easiest money making degree?
>>
History major okay?
>>
>>25482538
>>25482632
Veterinary schools, from what I can remember, are extremely competitive, more so than medical schools.

As I've said in another post, unless it is the only thing you can imagine yourself ever doing, I would strongly reconsider the idea of becoming a medical practicioner.

"Pre-Medical" programs are usually not very effective in preparing students for the MCAT and such exams, so I don't recommend them after what I've found in my research.

>>25482670
Introverts are not anti-social, if that's what you actually mean. Yes, you will have to network if you want a career.

>>25482662
It is a respectable, notable degree that seems to prove useful in many fields.
>>
>>25482702
if you don't care about doing boring cubicle number crunching, it's the /safest/ career choice and has a good starting salary for something so easy.
>>
>>25482670
>introverts
you can be introverted but still force yourself to go outside. if you have social anxiety, take baby steps out of your shell until you feel comfortable enough to join an organization and be useful to employers. push yourself. it's not easy but it's doable
>>
>>25482702
Specifically a major in accounting and a minor in computer science
>>
I suggest you all read through the thread before posting questions that were already answered. This thread needs to last.
>>
>>25482734
Neat. Thanks for validating my major life choices, internet stranger.
>>
>>25482734
>>25482600
>>25482500

>>25482458
>>25482458

Sorry to spam, please respond :S
>>
>>25482734
So what are some other options you'd recommend besides pre-med? I'm not big into math/engineering and I figured medicine was something that was helpful towards others but also payed relatively well. I've heard literature/pretty much any liberal arts is a waste so what's left?
>>
>>25482717
I want to do something with museums. Help OP
>>
>>25482717
This depends on what you want to do with it.
>>25482840
I really wouldn't know enough about such a path. I'm sorry. History degrees, from my research, do well on the LSAT, so a path to law is typical. The chance of working with a museum because of your degree in History, I have no idea, truly.
>>
Is civil engineering a good degree? I have an uncle that is one and can easily get me that dank internship
>>
>>25483007
Civil Engineer, if I remember correctly, suffers from a bit more of a cyclic pattern in its industry than some other fields of engineering, but if it interests you and you have a connection, automatically it is a very good option, if it is a legitimate connection.
>>
>>25483068
Does it pay well tho I don't want to be a wagekek forever
>>
>>25483121
It is of the lower end in if we are only considering engineering programs, which will still encompass the top 20 highest paying degrees. You will still make a middle-class salary. Apparently, the median salary for Civil Engineers in 2013 was $83,000, #12 on a list ranking the median salaries of degrees, a statistic which should give you the idea.
>>
Computer Science major here.

I didn't really know what I wanted when I started college 3 years ago, I just thought it would be cool to work with computers and possibly make video games. Eventually I started developing a deeper appreciation for the field and I find that I'm pretty good at problem solving and analyzing code to maximize efficiency.

I think this means that I should use my degree to go into software engineering, as opposed to software design. None of my counselors seemed to know what they were talking about, so I all I know about the field is what I've been able to research on the internet and talking with professors. It would still be cool to work with video games, but at this open I feel much more open to other areas that use computer programming. I get the feeling I don't really know what's out there and I'm unsure of where to start looking for internships and entry level positions, besides obvious places like Indeed and Monster.

What should I do to prepare myself for the field, and how would I be able to find work? Where should I actually be looking for employment?
>>
>>25483168
>>25483068
>>25482866

please advise

>>25482458
>>25482458
>>
>>25483253
>What should I do to prepare myself for the field, and how would I be able to find work? Where should I actually be looking for employment?

Your university should have some sort of career center that will be able to help you more than any website. Ask people that are already in the field what they think is good for preparation.

>>25482458
Your question is vague and you have a bit of a scatterbrained post. I've already explained that you should not go into something without having any sort of interest. If you don't like math, then I would never suggest Computer Science.
>>
>>25483331

How are agriculture/horticulture programs working as far as job placement and starting salary? Would a degree in those fields and then working in a greenhouse growery be feasabile?
>>
>>25481733
I have a BA in poli-sci, my advice would be not to do it. Most state and county jobs want accountants and engineers or master degrees education level that starts at shit wages.
>>
>>25483366
Statistics tell me that Agriculture generally is very average in terms of saturation. The median salary of an Agriculture degree in 2013 was anywhere from $50,000 - $70,000. This isn't anything that you can't look into yourself.
>>
>>25482274
Political Science classes are a lot of fun and the more advanced classes offer a lot of freedom, however the problem is there are no real opportunities to earn money once you graduate.
>>
>>25483490

What are some degrees that are:

>slightly above average $$
>not math related

I'm open to pretty much anything
>>
>>25481379
You're gonna fail, senpai. Just become.a code monkey
>>
>>25481809
>career in law

HAHAHAHAHA

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7530591
>>
>>25483556
fuck off nigger you ask retarded as fuck questions
>>
>>25483628

This was my first post in the thread
>>
what are some good tests to find out what you would like to major in? for example im good in math but a lot of jobs in the field sounds like boring desk jobs. Are there some tests universities use that would help me find some general jobs or majors to look into?
>>
>>25484017
the best test of what you want to major in is speaking to people who do the possible jobs in that field

too many people out there wait until their final year in university in some major, or even into postgrad, to find out that it's nothing like they imagined and/or that the job prospects are astronomically bad for the one thing they wanted to do with it

first thing you do in any major is talk to get into direct contact with people who work it and ask for their stories, or at least as close to that as you can get
>>
I have switched from biology/life-sciences to philosophy and political science. So far so good!

But I'm not yet fully adjusted to these majors in the humanities. While I'm alright with essays, I'm not as prepared for the tests - as for the maths/sciences, there exists a vast depository of past tests, which memorizing or becoming familiar with their style of questions would greatly assist in upcoming tests, whereas for the humanities, there exists relatively few shitty tricks like that in the system.

So do you have any tips and tricks for my situation? I'm all for learning my material, but having jumped through the hoops within STEM-field "education", I've found myself in unfamiliar grounds.

In any case, thank you!
>>
>>25480938
Is it worth studying accounting?
>>
>>25484221
NO ITS NOT

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MAJOR

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Is it worth studying geoscience, GIS or surveying?
>and if so which one should I pick
>>
>>25484243
Lol saturated
>>
>>25481207
Accounting. Mindless, easy bullshit, and you can get a decent job out of it.
>>
>>25481809
Yale 1L reporting in.

What major you do doesn't matter in the slightest, unless it's a BFA, which would affect you negatively. Just make sure your GPA is top notch, and that you study hard for the LSAT. Those are the only things that matter, except for Stanford and Yale, where they somewhat consider your softs.

If you can get yourself into a T14 and do well, your chances of finding a job in law are pretty good. HYS is pretty much a guarantee for a job unless you somehow manage to really fuck it up.
>>
Should I go for computer science?
>>
>>25481125
Not american so I don't know how it is there but in my country you can take some stray courses and figure out if you like it or not.
>>
I'm majoring in Communication arts, should I even fucking bother anymore?
>>
i had some experience and connections with some fbi programs and seminars back in the high school days, which was the tightest shit, i loved it
i'm taking criminal justice with a human behavior psy minor, next semester when i'm done with pre reqs and shit
a retired fbi agent is also the head of security there, so we get in touch a lot, he says that the route i'm taking is right where i need to be
anything on CJ or PsyHB to know about before taking it?
>>
>>25480938
I am 2 years deep into an Information System major.
I am shitty at any programming and have 0 maths skills.

What can I do with information systems?
And what are some minors/second majors that would help me the most?
>>
>>25481026
IT
Memed original robotnic
>>
>>25481379
Anything but game design man, it's terrible and I'm not trying to meme you
>>
Is finance and econometrics a method to make bank? Pardon the pun.
>>
>>25481344
>tfw there's no job I could look forward to or imagine in my future
Time to an hero, I guess
>>
>>25481125
Take some classes at your local college, shadow some people I'm careers you're interested in. What are your hobbies? Start from there and think of areas that your hobbies revolve around, then look into potential careers.

>>25484395
Build a solid portfolio and make good connections. Not all is lost yet.

>>25484750
You're on a good track.
>>
>>25480938
Will a bachelors in "Electrical Engineering with Emphasis on Computer Engineering" be worth it if I put in all the work? Whats the outlook for this job market? How will I be seen by employers asking for specifically EE degrees/ or CompE degrees?
Is it worth getting a Masters in?
>>
>>25484912
Also, would it be a wiser choice to get a bachelors in EE emph. on CompE then get a second bachelors in Computer Science (as opposed to a masters in EE)? The course overlap is pretty decent between the two majors, so I could probably get it in only an additional 2 years.
>>
File: 1280.jpg (88 KB, 944x629) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
88 KB, 944x629
History, philosophy or English. Which have the better job prospects?
>>
Just finished my second semester of CS. I was pretty sure I was gonna fail calculus but I got an A and a 3.7 GPA. I genuinely don't know how I did it. How do I go about finding an internship this semester?
>>
Is biology an okay major
what should I do if I don't really feel interested in my major but never felt interested in anything else either in the first place
>>
Plz comeback OP
>>
>>25480938
Which major or career path strikes the best balance between earning potential and time/money invested?

Essentially what majors would you recommend as the best bang for your buck that don't requiring massive trade offs in personal life (i.e. ibanking 80-100 hour weeks or med school 8-10+ years of training)?

Something like computer science or engineering?
>>
>>25485273
Not OP and I'm assuming you mean an internship for the upcoming summer but a good place to start might be your college career center or by talking to fellow classmates about their plans.

Consider making a LinkedIn page or going through your school's alumni network or internship search (many schools have internship postings accessible only by students)

If none of that works Google may be your best friend
>>
>>25480938

1) I did really good in mathematics in highschool but took a few years off to be neet have been working a bit recently
2) I like studying economics and have done so independently a fair bit recently

What should I think about going into?
>>
>>25486753

And to add to this, I know almost nothing about the education system, I have a pretty good work ethic now and would probably like to go through some sort of masters program but would probably like to keep my options open-ish for the start. I also love Trump and have a history as a high end competetive gamer.
>>
What can you do with a good economics degree?
>>
I'm interested in perusing a business related career. Is there a specific niche that'll provide me with job security and an above average pay? What are your thoughts on finance vs management?
>>
>>25480938
I'm in Chem Eng at a top 5 school for it but hate it, thinking of going to comp sci.
what do
>>
For OP or anyone else who has input:

>Biology
>Biotech
>Economics
>Finance
>Pretty much any communications/liberal arts degree

Things I'm interested in, descending order. Just pick one. Don't have to go into detail.

Aspects to consider:

>Average intelligence, but I'm no genius
>Slowly improving social skills
>I don't want to teach as a career, so no permanent professor jobs
>I like money and living comfortably is important to me
>Parents are paying
>>
Not OP
>>25486753
If you're good at math and are interested in economics, perhaps quantitative finance would interest you. Perhaps econometrics or even actuarial if you're feeling up to it?

>>25487334
Management is useless, go for finance.

>>25488079
>>25488079
Finance for cash, biology for personal imerest. Up to you.
>>
Is it ever worth it to go back for a second bachelor's degree? If you graduated with a shit gpa in your first degree does this make getting started on a second degree more difficult? How fast could you realistically complete a second bachelor's given that you probably wouldn't have to repeat gen-ed requirements? Obviously this varies depending on the university and I'm personally in Canada where post-secondary education is a little different but I was curious if you could offer some input.
>>
Can you help me out. I want something with a nice paying career with high placement in the science field. I don't know what major I should go for anymore I was enrolled in the fisheries program but I'm changing it to something else I don't know what yet. How do I put myself in the right direction ?
>>
File: 1449161637048.png (28 KB, 917x548) Image search: [Google]
1449161637048.png
28 KB, 917x548
>>25480938
Daily Reminder

[/original comment]
>>
I'm entering university next year and I have no concrete idea of what I want to do. Right now I'm planning to major in biology (because I was good at it in high school) so I can become a medical technologist after graduation to pay off debts. It's not something I'm super passionate about but I'm not really drawn to anything else. I might try studying film and literature but there isn't a job market for people who major in that kind of stuff. I was thinking maybe when I'm older, like my late 20s early 30s to go to med school and become a pathologist because that is something I'm passionate about but this whole situation feels like I'm making a big mistake, any advice?
>>
>>25488158
What could you do with a finance degree?
>>
>>25484205

Liberal arts tests are more about thinking critically and coming up with a new answer rather than using the same formula over and over again.

Read the tests for context clues that can help provide an answer or at least a framework of the information you are being tested on.
>>
>>25488672
>tfw don't love anything
>tfw not good at anything

Kill me pls
>>
>>25488672
HAHAHAHAHA

Get real faggot.
>>
>>25482123
I am already on hormones, and have experience cooking in a professional environment, I'll do it
>>
>>25480938
i have a degree in business/econ with 1.5yrs (about 1yr full time) experience with web design, seo & database work

what job should i apply for? i make shitty $15/hr
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.