[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Van Guy Back. Post your living situation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: august.jpg (79 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
august.jpg
79 KB, 1024x768
Hey /r9k/. I'm the vandwelling anon who made a thread last week about living mobile and living in Slabcity. I said I'd post a pic of my rig but the thread 404'd, so here's one now. Anyone else want to post some pics of their dwellings? Curious to see how you guys live.
>>
File: august2.jpg (71 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
august2.jpg
71 KB, 1024x768
>>25480803
This is where I sleep, the seat folds out backwards, I have a futon that I keep on top of it most of the time. These pics were taken in August when I had things alot more orderly
>>
File: backview.jpg (89 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
backview.jpg
89 KB, 768x1024
>>25480803
Here's a view of the back where I put the futon. Like I said I usually fold the the seat back. The bed would fit whether I did or not, but its just easier to get from the front to the back this way without having to go outside.
>>
>>25480803
how all pervasive is the speed scene at slab city? i wanted to check it out but a little worried about relapsing.
>>
File: augustinterior.jpg (64 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
augustinterior.jpg
64 KB, 1024x768
>>25480803
BTW, Ask away if you guys have any questions about the Van, Slabcity (it's an offgrid squatter's settlement in the middle of the desert, Google it), or whatever else. Internet is working here for the first time in a while and I'm bored as shit.
>>
File: sideview.jpg (167 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sideview.jpg
167 KB, 1024x768
>>25480992
You don't have to look very far to find meth, if you have adequate self control I wouldn't really worry about it, but yeah I'd say like 1/5 people here do it- not all of them live here though and its alot more avoidable around the winter months when the snowbirds are here.
>>
File: file.png (202 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
file.png
202 KB, 400x305
>>25480803
Right now I'm just living in a normal house, but I just bought a piece of land, so as soon as it stops snowing, I'm going to build a cabin/shed on it and live off the grid. Pic is the shed at Home Depot I've been eyeing. Not sure if I should get it or if I can find something better, though.
>>
>>25481280
How do you protect yourself from theft if you live off the grid?
>>
>>25481280
Be sure to rig it with insulation, anon. If you are in a place where it is snowing, you'll need to prep for the cold. A small stove would also be advisable.
>>
>>25481311
Same way I do when I live on the grid: guns. What do you do for protection that wouldn't work off the grid?
>>25481332
That's my plan. I'm going to insulate it and hopefully get some solar panels and batteries so I can use an electric heater and not risk burning the whole thing down by burning fires in such a small, wooden space.
>>
>>25481374
have you looked at some of the prefab homes on alibaba? might be a little too much money and logistics but they're pretty interesting.
>>
>>25481419
I haven't looked their, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I am on a budget though, so I don't know if I can afford something like that.
>>
>>25481374
You'd need a fuckton of solar power and batteries to keep up the heat at night when you most need it, anon. Also, snow covers up your panels and fucks with your charging.

A small stove really is a good thing, and is perfectly safe so long as you keep your head; clean out the creosote regular and set it up on brick or concrete and have a sheet metal shield between it and the wall.

Have you looked into wall tents, btw? Much bigger and easier to pack out and setup in remote areas, and perfectly capable of handling the heaviest winter weather. It's what the propsctors and explorers of old used.

You can also get a nice sized one for ~$1k, ready to go.
>>
>>25481280
Nice, how many acres, what state? If I could offer you a bit of advice, don't buy a premade shed- use the opportunity as a learning experience, teach yourself basic carpentry, wiring, plumbing, landscaping, etc.- if you're living off grid you'll thank yourself for it later when you need some spare cash or want to expand. I was totally ignorant to all things DIY when I started on my van, teaching yourself this shit is really rewarding and actually pretty easy with the internet.
>>
How's the pussy game in Slab City?
>>
>>25480803
Do you just stick to one city or what? I want to move to an expensive city for my career and it's warm there so I figured fuck it I'll do this. Is it impossible to work your way out of homelessness?
>>
>>25481542
I don't understand, you want to move to an expensive city?
>>
>>25481569
Yes and live in a van
>>
>>25481462
Well, my idea wasn't to keep the heater running all night. I'm planning on insulating it, so once I get it to the temperature I want, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain. Though, I guess it's always good to have a backup plan. I'll probably end up getting a wood stove. The shed I'm looking at is only like $1000, so a wall tent wouldn't be a great alternative especially since you can't insulate it.
>>25481466
15 acres, Northern Arizona. Well, the shed isn't going to be pre-built, just pre-cut. I don't have power tools, so it's going to be a pain in the ass as it is. Plus, it's not going to have any real plumbing or wired electricity. All the inside work is going to be DIY, though.
>>
>>25480803
What's up with baking soda?
>>
>>25481596
>>25481596
Oh. I've traveled around for the past 5 years or so but have been here for the past 10 months. Living in a van, you can subside on ~$500 a month if you remain somewhat stationary, as there aren't nearly as there are not utility bills, rent, etc. If you have a steady decent paying job lined up I wouldn't worry about not being able not being able to eventually afford to more traditional accommodations.
>>
File: cuteNEET.jpg (257 KB, 500x522) Image search: [Google]
cuteNEET.jpg
257 KB, 500x522
>>25481092

How hard is it to score chronic, coke, LSD and peyote/mescaline, respectively?
In SlabCity?

asking for a friend desu
>>
What kind of armament are you using to protect yoursef? Something like an AR15 or something more fuddy like a double barrel shotgun
>>
>>25481688
Man, 15 acres and all you're putting on it is that little shed, you planning on growing anything? What sort of terrain are you dealing with, if I were you I would really look into sustainable architecture, low-impact roundhouses (as they're popularly called) are cheap as shit to build, heat, and cool. I can refer you to some info if you're interested.
>>
What guns are you using to protect yourself
>>
>>25481866
The space is mostly for keeping other people at a distance, I don't like neighbors. I eventually want to grow the vast majority of my own food, but I don't have the money for any sort of equipment right now. At most, I'm just going to have a basic garden for now. It's all pretty smooth dirt, somewhat tree'd. I'll be happy for any info you've got on it.
>>
>>25480803
Do you have any general tips on being homeless? I see that topic pop up every once in awhile on here when NEETs have to face reality.
>>
>>25481842
Aside from coke, buttfuckingly simple. I don't really know anyone around here who does coke, really its either meth or bust. Honestly I try to steer away from this sort of stuff, but its common knowledge that if you want it, its here.
>>
File: bubbles.jpg (11 KB, 236x217) Image search: [Google]
bubbles.jpg
11 KB, 236x217
>>25481280
>I'm going to build a cabin/shed
>>
>>25482021
Don't really think of myself as homeless, I'm living like this by choice and really wouldn't have it any other way.
>>25482001
Got any pics? How do you plan on making cash for equipment/materials?
>>
>>25482048
what's the population?
wut are your neighbors like?
what do all the other fags do all day?
you didnt tell us how your getting by
>>
>>25482125
>~2000 in the Winter, 100-200 the rest of the year.
>Try to surround myself with decent people, obviously though junkies exist
>Smoke weed, swim in the canal, chill in the springs, talk, read (we have a library), boardgames/gamble, shoot guns, work, there's one guy who does a youtube 'talkshow' sort of thing, play music, etc.
>Odd jobs, fiverr gigs
>>
>>25482001
Yo Anon, I've got to go now, but my Skype is wopperjod if you still want me to send you that stuff.
>>
>>25482107
Nah, my phone's camera is shit, so I don't even bother taking pictures of anything. My buddy is an artist and I'm good with web shit, so we're planning on selling his art online, prints/tshirts/etc. I'm gonna use a 4g hotspot, just in case you were wondering how I was going to internet in the middle of nowhere.
>>25482723
Shit, I don't use Skype... Oh well, catch ya on the flipside.
>>
File: small.jpg (388 KB, 858x643) Image search: [Google]
small.jpg
388 KB, 858x643
>>25481280
If you can, build your own.
Or, get a kitset designed for a sleepout.
Failing that, caravan/ trailer
Those shed from Home Depot are designed for holding wood and shovels, not people.
>>
>>25483130
>pic related is my sleepout half completed.
>>
Living in old highschools computer room atm, made deal with janitor. It's ebin because the highschool is my botnet atm
>>
what do you do for money? where do you get water, food, heat? what do you do when you're sick and old? I can imagine doing this for long vacations and retirement and shit, but not for building a life.
>>
>>25483130
What's wrong with living in a Home Depot shed? You can insulate it and it may as well be a house.
>>
>>25480803

Was in the last thread, thanks for coming back van guy. Good to see someone living the dream.
>>
>>25483329
Maybe they are stronger than I think.
I looked at a few kitset sheds, and they were all flimsy and expensive.
>>
>>25483030
[email protected]
Email me yo.
>>
>>25482335
wait wait wait.
I'm not understanding. This is a trailer park?
You live in a van, stationed at this place? Where do you shit?
>>
>>25483299
>r9k
>building a life
>>
>>25481374
>solar panels for electric heat
completely retarded.

even small space heaters are +1kw, you'd need thousands of dollars worth of solar panels to power a space heater in the summer, with clear days, you'd need tens of thousands dollars worth of solar panels + thousands dollars worth of batteries to power a space heater in the winter
>>
>>25481688
>so once I get it to the temperature I want, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain
'no'
>>
OP, how safe is it there? I've been thinking it might be the life for me. And can you beat people up without getting in trouble, like if I had to fight someone or something?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>25481721
baking soda is for them real nigga hours
>>
I live in a static caravan but have to come back to my parents house to do my washing
>>
>>25481374
Sounds kinda comfy 2bh
>>
File: hkf5G3c.jpg (289 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
hkf5G3c.jpg
289 KB, 2048x1365
Not my setup, but if I had one it would be something like this famm

https://imgur.com/gallery/rqNm3/new
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.