[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it weird to skip a year between high school and college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: 1450864381317.png (225 KB, 478x556) Image search: [Google]
1450864381317.png
225 KB, 478x556
Is it weird to skip a year between high school and college?

Will it fuck my shit up?
>>
File: file.png (217 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
file.png
217 KB, 331x331
Please help, I'm already socially awkward and I don't want to alienate and ruin myself anymore if that's what will happen.
>>
no it's not weird, what the hell

the difference between 18 and 19 is literally nothing

as long as you use your year off productively, there's nothing wrong
>>
>>25459773
Skipped 7 years between High school & GED.
Going to try for collage this fall.
Fuck it, worst case scenario I just keep my head down and study.
>>
>>25459906
I skipped 5, start uni in the fall.

Feels mixed man.
>>
>>25459873
Depends, are you looking for fortune or want to try the neet life? If its the neet life then dont, it will fuck with your abilities to go out and meet people when you actually enter college.
>>
>>25459940
Mental health break, saving up a bit more money, maybe actually deciding what I really want to do.

I don't want to rush into things, but I also don't want to get left behind.
>>
If you spend it like a normalfag, working and travelling, you'll be respected as an experienced older guy

If you spend it like a loser NEET you'll just be a weird old creep and eventually drop out
>>
Called a gap year here in Britbongland, IIRC you can apply for a uni and then be guaranteed a place and still take a year off.

Don't spend it being a NEET though, use it to gain experience, travel and shit that people might respect you for.
>>
It is very common to do so, and no one will think it's weird at all. Just tell them you took a year off to work, save money and build up academic appetite.
>>
File: 1428451871200.jpg (446 KB, 587x800) Image search: [Google]
1428451871200.jpg
446 KB, 587x800
I did it OP. One of the best choices in my life. I started college all fresh and with energy.

Go for it. But remember to actually start college after 1 year.
>>
>Be at uni first year
>Typical bogan/surfer bro tries talking to me
>"Hey bro did you have a gap year?"
>I say "No"
>He looks baffled and says "You mean you went to uni straight after high school??"

People will always try to make you feel bad about shit you do that is different to them no matter what
>>
>>25459963
>>25460015
>travel
I'm too poor for that.
>>
>>25460105
That's why I said "working and travelling"
>>
>>25459773
A gap year?
I did one (sort of) by doing the first year of an Engineering degree.

I don't intend to repay my HECS debt, so it wasn't a problem.

It took me the year to start being social with people too, so I'm glad I did it.
>>
I did and honestly even though stuff hasnt gone perfectly I'm glad I did, it filled my life with a wonderful experience I'm glad I had
>>
>>25460105
Do whatever you want, traveling for people's validation is the most childish thing I can think about.
>>
Use /trv/ and go out and enjoy the world

Any shmut can graduate college only a small number of people take the time to travel
>>
>>25460105
it depends on what reason you had for that gap year. When people say they are working to figure out what they want in life, most of us just shrug it off and agree in unison.
>>
You can do it if you have some sort of activity to keep you occupied, something that gets you out of the house. If not then avoid at all costs. I took 4 months off and it almost made me a sperg again.
>>
No, I did it myself. It really is no big deal.
>>
>>25460776
I was planning on making a regular gym routine in addition to a part-time job. I lost about 70lb in the past year but it was mostly through dieting so my body is kinda fucked looking.
>>
>>25459773
Yes, it will ruin you. It will dissillusion you from the reality you believe to be real, where you constantly have to strive towards something. Just continue the ride.
>>
It's not uncommon if you're a Eurofag. If you're an Amerifag it's literally wasting your time.
>>
>>25459773
Not really. But be careful, you might never go back to being a normie.
>>
>>25460905
Why the difference?
>>
I wish I did. I would've got fit, my license, and some work experience.
>>
File: 5x5.png (146 B, 5x5) Image search: [Google]
5x5.png
146 B, 5x5
>>25459773
Im 26 and just starting. Feels kind of bad
>>
>>25460969
Fuck 'em. At least you're doing it, man.
>>
>>25459773
as long as you actually do shit and not stay home all day fapping
>>
>>25459957
you won't rush into things. the first 2 semesters of college no matter what you are majoring in you have to take basic shit like world history and english and algebra. it isn't like you have to decide what your end game is before you get started. u can get that shit out of the way while u figure itout.
>>
Just go to school. One year will turn into two, then before you know it you'll be posting smug NEET threads on here.
>>
What about taking a year off after freshman year? I feel like I've deleted all my energy this first semester at uni to the point where I feel anxious about next semester. It's probably too late to take the semester off but I'd like to take next year off if it's accepted to.
>>
>>25461294
>It's probably too late to take the semester off
Just don't go.
>>
>>25461369
I already paid tho. The payment was due a month ago.
>>
Only do it if you have a really good reason to. The biggest problem with these skip years is that they tend to turn into skip lives. A lot of people who take that year off never come back or come back much later wishing they'd just gone. It wont have life ending consequences but if you're just nervous about going I'd say suck it up and just go for it.
>>
>>25461416
Oh, well yeah. Definitely go.
>>
>>25459773
I've been doint it for 2 years now and will most likely do it for another year

I worked small jobs to get some moneis but mostly was neet without neetbux

Made me lazy as fuck and right now i'm broke and can hardly motivate myself to seach for jobs i'd say it helped me get less depressed but destroyed my willpower
>>
I wish I spent a year working and becoming financially secure before starting uni. now I'm halfway through and can't take a year off without losing scholarships and financial aid
>>
>>25459773
>tfw skip 4 years because i'm a poorfag
>>
>>25459957
It's fine, a common thing for normies to do when they travel the world and shit.

But don't for fucks sake do it just for the NEET life, you will become a broken shut-in. Make sure you have a plan for self improvement and broadening your horizons in that year.
>>
Don't fall for the straight into college after high school meme
>>
>>25459773
you underage motherfucker

get a job/car

you must m u s t maintain the habit and drive to do things according to a routine otherwise your first year will be hell re-adjusting from a neet lifestyle
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.