[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw just spent half an hour staring at the stars what even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: universe.jpg (922 KB, 1728x1152) Image search: [Google]
universe.jpg
922 KB, 1728x1152
>tfw just spent half an hour staring at the stars

what even is life man

shit is so absurd
>>
>>25430616
>what even is life man

A slow miserable death
>>
>>25430616
Life is what you make it. It's all in your mind. You can choose to view things in a positive or negative light, everything is open for interpretation and it is what you make it.
>>
>>25430616
I just came back from my vacation house by the beach side, the location is very isolated and there aren't a lot of houses. I sat outside and saw so many stars, I've never seen so many in my life, it's like I was staring directly at the universe without the Earth's atmosphere to hide it. I cried a little.
>>
>>25430616
it's said there are possibly billions of planets in our own galaxy, some have already been discovered that have similar components has earth like water and a rocky core and an atmosphere and orbit a star in a safe zone. with our primitive technology we have discovered several eath like planets in a tiny area of our small galaxy

now imagine how many of these earth twins are in the entire galaxy. possibly thousands of earth twins in the milky way. now imagine how many of these earth twins are in the andromeda galaxy. possibly millions. this stuff boggles the mind. its a shame well never get.to explore all those cool planets and solar systems outside our own.
>>
>>25430616

There's something so comforting about the stars. Maybe it's just me, but when I look at them everything just feels ok no matter how shitty things are going.
>>
Staving off cosmic boredom
>>
>>25430616
It's creepier if you look into actual quantum physics.
https://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08.htm
https://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p09.htm
>>
File: 1431634875814.jpg (243 KB, 1000x558) Image search: [Google]
1431634875814.jpg
243 KB, 1000x558
>>25430616
The stars enchant me so hard.

I can't help but look at them when I spot them.

Thinking about what's out there, humanity's future. Why was I born so late? I want to explore the stars so fucking bad.
>>
we are the cause of our own problems
>>
>>25430824
you mean BORINGER
>>
>>25430698
thats without getting into the innumerable dimensions besides the 1st 2nd and 3rd that we will simply never be able to fully comprehend or the notion of alternate realities which if true would infinitely multiply the infinite by infinity
>>
>>25430929
this is why you're lonely
>>
>>25430616
got a telescope for christmas, a really good one that must have cost entirely too much money
i live in a fucking city and dont own a car making it effectively useless unless i want to hike out to the wilderness carrying this cumbersome fucking thing all the way there and back which simply isnt a possibility
>>
>>25430929
Nigger quantum physics says some really strange stuff. Even physicists don't understand what it all means sometimes, let alone plebs like us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfxsSeR9lQ
Watch this. Lewin makes it accessible and interesting.
>>
File: Alienscavemen.jpg (32 KB, 268x381) Image search: [Google]
Alienscavemen.jpg
32 KB, 268x381
I-if you start thinking of life as just being internally consistent and only relevant within the framework of itself, it starts to make a lot more sense senpai. To be is literally to be perceived desu. Idk who said that but it makes sense to me.
>>
Why does space make anybody intrigued by life any more than your own experiences? It doesn't make sense.

Sure its huge, and awesome, but those are different than saying what even is life.

This is like women who spend shit tons of money on their lawn making it serene and peaceful and only then thinking they can understand the world better. Youre looking at it through a faulty lens you societal cucks
>>
>>25431063
This
Space is mostly empty anyway
Seems kinda boring desu

>>25431036
>tfw not an "alien"
>>
>>25431063
Your mums a societal cuck and she's very good at it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (5 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
5 KB, 480x360
>>25431002
Damn, I wish I had one. Where I live I'd see everything

Pic related is how the ISS looks from Earth as seen by a standard commercial telescope.
>>
>>25431080
>Space is mostly empty anyway
Literally everything is mostly empty.
>>
>>25431063
>>25431080

Staring at the vast, cold emptiness of space makes you understand the paradoxical importance and unimportance of your own life and life itself, you fuckwads.
>>
>>25431137
...that means way more than I think you intended anon.

Brb killing myself
>>
>>25431137
Including my life
>>
>>25431140
Astronomy has nothing on physics when it comes to questioning what it means to be alive.
>>
>>25431140
But theres no inherent reason for it do so. More likely people are already looking for a reason to feel that way and space is the way they justify it. I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just saying its an exaggeration, or slightly misleading.

Space is cool and all, but it doesn't say anything about the importance of your life unless you want it to.
>>
>>25431063
I think they mean existence as a whole. Like we're born into this universe understanding pretty much none of it and have to rely on what others have learned, and still that's not even a fraction.
>>
>>25431203
>>25431176
>But theres no inherent reason for it to do so

to the thoughtless and inattentive, there is no reason to anything. you are both simpletons.
and thats the merit of philosophy or the "love of wisdom"
not everyone has the intellect, sensitivity, or insight to distance themselves from their own smallness and become the universe through contemplation. its really not hard or special; doing this comes to human beings naturally
>>
>>25431353
No, I contemplate through reading typically. Space has nothing for me in particular, at least no more than the ocean.

It is existence itself I am interested in, not somethings vastness.

Looking to space is often not as interesting as looking to time or physics, the nature of consciousness.

These things are all greater than the societal self, remove these artificial qualities and you get a more fundamental 'I'. This is what vedanta teaches.

The Upanishads are a great read, also Nature and the Greeks by Schrodinger.
>>
>>25431353
I don't think >>25431203 is saying that there isn't a reason to do anything, so you might as well sit at home. They're saying there's no reason for space to make you feel this way, and that you probably have already came to those conclusions through your own life experiences. Tbqh I don't agree though, since our extreme smallness and general irrelevance to the universe can really only be observed within the context of space.
>>
>>25431353
What does that have to do with what I said?
Are you going to argue looking at stars is somehow more insightful than the kinds of things you'd deal with in quantum mechanics?
>>
>>25431353
Shit this is the most Fedora post I've seen in awhile senpai
>>
>>25431203
>>25431392

I think space elicits those feelings in people who don't normally think about those things, simply because the night sky is always there every time the sun goes down.

Not everyone will take their time to read philosophical works or spend years at university where people will actively encourage them to think like this. But they can just incidentally look up one night and begin to ponder.

Maybe it starts by them noticing a constellation or pattern in the stars, and then they start looking for more, and this leads to more inquisitive thinking within the context of outer space, and then eventually about their place in it.
>>
>>25430929

I laughed man don't worry
>>
>>25431396
no, I won't argue that. but for some people, looking at the night sky is the only thing needed for genuine insight.
our approaches are different, thats all. physics is a solid study in reach a greater consciousness of the world
>>
>>25430658
I wish I could start looking at things in a positive way. Not sure if there's any way to change that though
>>
some times when i get drunk by myself i walk down thde street to the local park in my pajamas in bear feet. bring my headset and ipod and just listen to music staring at the stars laying on the grass for hours. really good feeling desu one of. i recomend it to anyone. bringing a flask with me and smoking a fag it's blissful
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.