[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /r9k/ think the most defining moment in world history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
What does /r9k/ think the most defining moment in world history was? Not a series of events like one of the world wars, but an individual event that had the most impact on the world as a whole.
>>
>>25403615
the invention of penicillin

if it wasn't for that asshole i probably wouldn't have even been born and have to deal with this shit
>>
Giving women the right to vote. It's slowly, but surely destroying the western world.
>>
Napoleonic War and what it brought with it.
>>
>>25403615
Treaty of Versailles Being signed

Without that treaty being signed there would of been no world war 2. World war 2 displaced tens of millions of people. It allowed communism to spread throughout half of the planet. The Cold War and ever proxy war seen it it affected so many
>>
File: raise hell.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1996) Image search: [Google]
raise hell.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1996
>>25403615
I wont pretend to know enough ebout world history to speak on account of the whole world.
Even though i was just a child at the time, 9/11 seems to be the beginning of when america got so bastardly and neurotic. We live in a police state and everyone is just smiling like it's a joke
>>
Saying that an event is important rather than its causes is like saying that the Earth's crust is important rather than the core whereon it lies.

It doesn't work that way.
>>
>>25403662
French Revolution as a whole (I know he specified a single event) would be a good answer, it would definetly be up there in terms of Europe
>>
>>25403615
discovery of fire and the invention of the wheel.
>>
File: gavrilo-princip_vafYD.jpg (120 KB, 600x585) Image search: [Google]
gavrilo-princip_vafYD.jpg
120 KB, 600x585
>mfw people always cite WW2 as the defining event of the 20th century
>mfw people don't seem to realize that WW1, while having a much lower death toll, was what ushered in the modern world and is entirely responsible for WW2 occurring at all.

>mfw Princip murdered the one person who would've helped the Serbs
>>
>>25403615
Gamergate and all the other "gates" that followed it.

It changed internet culture to the point where everything is politicized to hell and back which then transferred to real life.

>it is why memes are becoming reality
>>
>>25403615
probably the drafting/signing of the declaration of independence.
>>
>>25403734
How about At the Gates?
>>
>>25403615

Why do normies glorify war like this? I was a marine in Afghanistan and it was not cool, honorable, or respectable. No glory was gained, all we accomplished was suffering and regret.
>>
File: 381d402fb171b4a1e9e74b7bfac4cf5b.jpg (287 KB, 1645x1041) Image search: [Google]
381d402fb171b4a1e9e74b7bfac4cf5b.jpg
287 KB, 1645x1041
>>25403615
D Day is probably not one of the most defining moments, but it's definitely the most accurate representation of the human spirit.

It's an event that our modern society would hope would never be necessary, but when it came down to it, literally millions of men joined together and ran off the end of boats, towards machine gun fire and bombs, with no regard for their own lives, only to go on to liberate an entire continent, because we didn't agree with the ideology of another group of people.

Basically, if I were to tell aliens about one event in history to make them fear us, it would be that or the atomic bombs.
>>
>>25403771
Then what about the human beings shooting at them to simply defend their homelands?
>>
I think OP is looking for a very specific thing, like someone accidentally shooting someone, or just sending a letter.

There was a guy (forgot the name( who smuggled blueprints into the U.S. for the first textile mill, which probably started the Industrial Revolution.
>>
>>25403762

They are brainwashed from birth to think war is cool m8. But every soldier I've met young or old wishes they hadn't joined. I guess it takes experiencing it to realize how wrong it is, but your average normie is too dumb to realize that because DUDE EXPENDABLES 2 LMAO
>>
>>25403731
World war 1 and two are directly related, I personally think the actions of world war 2 were the most significant. As this person is being specific to a single event the armistance being signed signifying German defeat would be a good answer, or like my previous one the treaty of Versailles

>>25403734
No

>>25403762
I'm not taking anyway anything from you. I admire people serving in a theatre of war, but the Afghanistan war is/was pointless it wasn't glorious, it was horrid

There is at least honour and glory in war world 2. Literally every other male you know joining the war effort. Fighting off the invaders from your homeland, liberating towns from oppression, the coming of age aspect
>>
>>25403787
Both sides are actually quite interesting. The Nazis didn't surrender until the Allies were well past the gates. Putting your life on the line against impossible odds is quite formidable.
>>
>>25403787

>le edgy contrarian meme

What you mean the nazi soldiers defending the country they were occupying? D- see me after class, maybe you have an angle on the battle of berlin but you clearly don't understand D-Day
>>
This is the biggest fedora tipper thread on r9k right now.

>Glorifying the suffering that these men went through in the hope others wouldn't have to do it in the future at the hands of the enemy.
>Defending the people of the future from having the experience past horrors.
>Many were poor or uneducated, didn't know better.
>War profiteering and political manipulation was rife during WWII, to the point the MI complex is still feasting on its memory.
>Ate shit headfirst on a beach, slaughtered in droves and watched each others intestines hang out while screaming for mother.
>"d-dude i'm sooooo bored i wanna be a war hero"

>>25403762
Listen to him and me, having done service.

You have no fucking idea. I bet you're all middle class fedora tipper boomer children.
>>
File: 1451634807202.jpg (38 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
1451634807202.jpg
38 KB, 600x840
>>25403734
that's retarded friend
>>
>>25403800
The industrial revolution started in England...

>>25403771
>>25403771
Conscripts being thrown into a meat grinder, being forced to face enemy Fire or face a firing squad.
>>
>>25403833
>What you mean the nazi soldiers defending the country they were occupying?

Every country has the right to defend itself and to exert its strength. It is not the strongs' fault that the weak are weak.

Those men knew that if they let their enemies into France that Germany would be next. There is nothing wrong with doing anything in your power to defend your home.
>>
>>25403615

The invention of writing.
>>
the agricultural revolution
>>
>>25403859
>There is nothing wrong with doing anything in your power to defend your home.

They worked with the world they had, not the world that someone else wished they had.
>>
Chanology.

When this happened the internet exposed itself to a greater society of normies. It started the beginning of the decay and filth which now rapes and perverts the internet for normie needs.
>>
Agriculture.

>Fucking suck my cock you shitty robot I honestly don't know why you faggots like this originality filter holy fuck
>>
>>25403762
feel like D Day and the events that followed were less about glory and more about doing what had to be done. Obviously, it's easy to say war was a good thing in hindsight when you weren't the one experiencing it, but it seems 'glorious' to defeat a tyrannical regime like the Nazis, even if the means were pretty shitty.
>>
>>25403877
Fool me once, shame on you
>>
>>25403615
The first time a woman told a lie
>>
Probably the invention of fire, or writing. Next most important event will be extraterrestrial contact whenever that happens or colonization or moon/Mars
>>
>>25403877
>the most defining moment in world history
>>
There has never been a single moment worth remembering in all of human history
>>
>>25403822
Yes

>>25403851
You know it's true.

I mean for fuck's sake this presidential election is being decided by memes.
>>
>>25403902
it's bait
jxjwii-$-7%38%;
>>
>>25403902
>Implying /r9k/ and the internet isn't your world
>>
File: 1430616403406.jpg (36 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
1430616403406.jpg
36 KB, 607x608
>>25403859
>It is not the strongs' fault that the weak are weak.
please dont get me mr robot
>>
the manhattan project.

the discover and manufacture of nuclear weaponry resulted in mutually assured destruction and a completely different global political climate--one where aggression could be met with hellfire and responded with in kind. the subsequent cold war waged entirely through vassal states, espionage and subversion set the stage for the aggressive non-violence that defines the struggle of every western country since. the frankfurt school etc resulted in all the ridiculous drama on the internet (the new intellectual battlefield of all humanity) and governments across the globe.

no one wants to fire a gun at anyone that matters, and the "anyone that matters" club is only entered by obtaining nuclear weaponry.

"now i am become death, destroyer of worlds" indeed
>>
>>25403859

Nobody's saying the Nazis weren't human too, but an occupation is an occupation. They knew they were in a place they didn't belong and had to face the consequences. Sucks for the guys pulling triggers considering that they never asked for the conquest to stretch so far, but it's a big motherfucking jump to assume defenders of Normandy were fighting to defend their homeland. Their honor comes from the devotion to duty and their fellow soldiers, not defense of occupied territory
>>
>>25404013
They worked with the world they had and used whatever advantages they had available to defend their homes. In this case it was using French territory as a buffer because it sure as hell is better than bringing the destruction home to Germany and defending it there.
>>
>>25403615
Man discovering fire, I guess.
Or whatever it was that birthed the first form of life on the planet.
>>
>>25404038

No, what they did was hop on to fight for a huge variety of different reasons and then ride along as the politicians and generals determined where it all should go. They bought a bus pass without any information about where the bus was stopping, same as any soldier and were unlucky that it went shitty places. People are individuals, even in groups. The idea that the trigger pullers on either side were united in some crusade is far too simple.
>>
>>25403615
Probably something like the foundation of the first nation-state in ancient Mesopotamia. It essentially signaled the rise of civilization(s) and was arguably the best thing to happen to humans in terms of increasing their odds of living and propagation, while being one of the worst things for the human psyche.
>>
>>25403615
The creation of the internet
>>
>>25403615
Maybe this doesn't qualify, but the dual combination of the Enlightenment & Industrial Revolution really accelerated human civilization. I mean, shit has really been taking off ever since then.
>>
File: image.png (16 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16 KB, 657x527
The moon landings. The fact mankind managed to get a human on the surface of another massive body in space with technology still in its infancy says something. This doesn't change much on the surface but it's a defining milestone for
our space-faring future.

>tfw you will never be a space trucker carrying cargo from Earth to Phobos and gaze at the stars

An honorable mention is the mass colonization of the new world, which is essentially just a mirror of space colonization.
>>
>>25404176
>>tfw you will never be a space trucker carrying cargo from Earth to Phobos and gaze at the stars
Don't kid yourself, that will all be automated.
>>
>>25403709

This. All the vomit in hell came from that wretched event.
>>
File: meme magick.jpg (1 MB, 1872x2594) Image search: [Google]
meme magick.jpg
1 MB, 1872x2594
>>25403734
More likely it was Project Chanology. Specifically when Anonymous broke into L Ron Hubbard's house and stole all that alien technology. This is the source of 4chan's "meme magic".
>>
>>25403709
Gonna have to go with this.
>>
>>25403660

This right here. The death knell for western society.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhanite

Jews literally caused European colonization of The New World, Africa, South Asia, Australia, and Southeast Asia.
>>
My birth
>>
>>25403940
>It is not the strongs' fault that the weak are weak.
Technically it isn't
>>
>>25404286
Shosh don't tell them that. We don't want people knowing.
>>
French Revolution.
It sort of ended the old feudal Yuropia and was a new beginning even if things actually did not change much.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.