[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For pic related do I have to use skills governed by each attribute,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
For pic related do I have to use skills governed by each attribute, or can I choose the skills I want and then efficiently level the attributes I want like Strength, Endurance and Intelligence? I'm asking here because /v/ is shit
>>
>>25384464
I think you choose the skills.
Like when you create the character you pick 8 or so "Major Skills." Only leveling up major skills effects your total level.

Each attribute governs a skill, too. If I remember correctly, every time you level up (by leveling up your major skills) then sleep you choose a few attributes to boost, which help you preform your skills in different ways. Like boosting agility or whatever increases lockpicking or whatever.

hope this helps.
>>
>>25384568
But do I have to have at least one skill for each attribute? Seems unnecessary if I'm not worrying about that attribute like willpower, where I'm mainly gonna be using complementary spells like Shield
>>
File: 1451152420305.gif (2 MB, 400x321) Image search: [Google]
1451152420305.gif
2 MB, 400x321
i find the leveling system is less shit if you use the console to give yourself the stat multipliers that you think are fair

like maybe a 5x a 3x and a 1 x of your choice

having to grind heavy armor just to get that 5x endurance every level is fucking gay
>>
I haven't played in such a long time, but I think it's like morrowind where you need to pick skills that relate to your attributes or they won't level. Like if you level up Sword or whatever and it's attribute is strength when you level up you get some points into Strength.

I think, honestly I don't remember. I was fantasizing about playing Oblivion last night, very nostalgic and comfy game. I'll need to get a good PC first.
>>
>>25384799
I'm playing right now and I fucking hate the enemy scaling. Every enemy is a damage sponge and can kick my ass along with my ridiculously small mana pool.

Unless I use Midas magics, I practically can't beat undead. I should just finish the main quest and play Morrowind instead.
>>
>>25384464
It has one of the shittiest leveling systems. Basically you have to track all the skill increases for it to be efficient. For all your questions use this:
http://uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling
http://uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling
>>
>>25384870
>using midas magic but not a leveling mod
>thinks he can handle morrowind when he lacks common sense
Go back to Skyrom, kid
>>
File: 1312494001205.jpg (53 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
1312494001205.jpg
53 KB, 640x908
>>25384913
I didn't want to alter the game too much since it's my first run. Midas was an exception because I like playing a magic character and I felt Oblivion was lacking in spells that I could dick around with.

At this point I feel it's too late to add a leveling mod since I'm 30-40 hours in.
>>
>>25384909
But why have a skill for each attribute when I don't want to make a God? I just want to know if it's just viable to have a paladin with high strength, endurance, intelligence and willpower
>>
>>25384870
lol what. I played vanilla Oblivion on the 360 for about 3 hours last year because I was bored and went into the ayleid place outside the sewer where you start and kicked everything's ass. chunk a fireball, and claymores can be whipped out instantly and don't slow you down.

Honestly I don't understand the "PC master race" bullshit. Why would you play a modded version of a game before playing vanilla first? Why would you have to rate a game based on it's modding capablities/a shit game you have to mod to be good? Vanilla New Vegas is shit but everyone pretends it's the best because they mod it on PC. That's not how it works.
>>
>>25384870
I hate how every enemy is such a sponge
I stopped playing when I got to this DLC dungeon with these giant dungeons.

TES combat has never been good, unfortunately.
>>
>>25385004
Just do whatever you want really. Min/Maxing is a really quick and efficient way of completely ruining a game for yourself when you realize 12 hours in you forgot to do something to get a certain stat.

Just play games on normal difficulty and do whatever you want, I've ruined about a dozen games for myself from restarting too much and regretting not getting a certain stat.
>>
>>25385033
I have 360, mods aside this version's performance makes me sad. It's still the game and it plays but the performance is the definition of spotty
>>
Attribute advancement on level-up is dependent on the number of levels you've gained in skills that are governed by that attribute prior to filling out your "XP" bar. They don't have to be major skills.
If you're not careful when playing a character with non-combat-oriented major skills, you'll find that combat quickly becomes extremely difficult as your enemies level up. If you just want to play on normal difficulty and not have to worry about min-maxing, pick at least a few combat-oriented major skills. You can still do fine without picking combat skills as major skills, but you'll have to be more careful leveling if you want to be able to clear dungeons.
I've found that playing squishy stealth characters was a huge chore, at least in the first couple of hours, which is too bad. The game really does force you into a lot of close-up combat.
Of course, you can just toggle the difficulty up or down if things are getting too hard/easy.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling
>>
File: Hlaalu_Plate_Dunmer_by_Vilamen.jpg (113 KB, 441x574) Image search: [Google]
Hlaalu_Plate_Dunmer_by_Vilamen.jpg
113 KB, 441x574
>>25385033
>. I played vanilla Oblivion on the 360 for about 3 hours
I was complaining about the enemy level scaling getting dumb later in the game, if you played for three hours you obviously haven't dealt with this issue yet.

And I'm using only visual mods and bugfixes asides from Midas which I'm mostly using for the utility spells and one or two specific spells.

>>25385092
I had my fun with Morrowind after the initial hurdle. It wasn't all that good but messing around with magic and using artifacts made it an alright experience.

Not that I'm not enjoying Oblivion, just the combat is kind of annoying me at this point.
>>
>tfw you cant harvest squash flowers from gourds in fo4
>tfw you will never eat a stuffed squash blossom full of sausage and rice.

'c
>>
>>25385120
like lag and stuff? Yeah it's a shitty old game, if FPS and shit matters you should probably play it on a PC.

>>25385146
I played Oblivion for like 300 hours, probably more than that, in 2008 negro, and I played morrowind for DEFINITELY more than that in like 2007 on the original Xbox.

I'm aware of the enemy scaling but I never noticed it, nor did I care. There is absolutely no reason to mod a game when you first play it, unless it's something like Europa Universalia or Total War that needs to be modded to be good.

visual mods gameplay mods, fuck those, not even bug fixes until you've dumped several hundred hours into it and are aware of what they actually change.
>>
>>25385270
I might have agreed with you in the past but I can't justify not using graphic modes, first run or not.

Also, unofficial fixes.
>>
>>25385346
>I might have agreed with you in the past but I can't justify not using graphic modes, first run or not.
They completely fuck up the flavor of the original game. but whatever. I modded morrowind once a few years ago, and I only individual textures and meshes to make it still look tasteful and "morrowind". lots of mods completely change the textures like the floors will be fancy hardwood mahogany home depot shit instead of the original ratty looking planks.

I honestly do not care though. There are too many people who download pre-modded games and I just couldn't give a shit about what they do, it does not matter to me, do whatever you want.
>>
>>25385270
Morrowind on xbox was fucking pathetic compared to the computer version.
>>25385452
Someone on /v/ recommended
>http://pastebin.com/7gF2VLaf
Haven't tried it out because I played so much Morrowind I had a nightmare that I was in an Ashstorm getting chased by monsters irl and decided I needed to do something else for a while.
>>
>>25385714
>Morrowind on xbox was fucking pathetic compared to the computer version.
The FOV was really low, but honestly that gave everything an air of mystery. When I played it on PC I realized you could see Vivec from Seyda Neen and it blew my mind. Felt like it was on the other side of the world to walk there.
>>
>>25385714
Were the monsters...cliffracers?[/spoilers]
>>
>>25385827
cliffracers are a meme. The worst was getting lost in a game where you can't see 20 feet in front of you, in a fucking storm where you can't see 5 feet in front of you, being chased by a pack of blighted kagouti who will 1 shot you or a scamp without any silver freaking out and being scared you're going to catch the Blight by being outside too long (you actually couldn't, it was bugged or something).

having a scamp chase you to a imperial fort and then watching it destroy everybody for a 30 minutes and taking their armor was good fun though. Though it wouldn't last forever as some script would kick in and the scamp would die even though the guards have no silver.
>>
>>25384870
are you familliar with the difficulty slider?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.