[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you suppose would happen if it were publicly revealed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 81eVnOh4UJL._SL1300_.jpg (307 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
81eVnOh4UJL._SL1300_.jpg
307 KB, 1300x1300
What do you suppose would happen if it were publicly revealed to the world that we only had five yeas until an asteroid destroyed the Earth?
>>
>>25362650
Work as hard as possible to prove I am worthy of a ticket to spaaaace
>>
WHAT A SUPRISE
>>
Good news
World will turn into chaos
Beta uprising can begin
>>
In all seriousness, I probably woudln't want to even think about it. It'd be so horrible.

The first few days would either be total quiet or utter chaos. Either way the end result of the first week is going to be the same: Mass suicides.

Then, after the first week there'd probably be an absolute atomic explosion of crime and looting. Shit would devolve relatively quickly.

I imagine things would either settle down again, and we'd all live in quiet discomfort with a good portion of the planet dead from suicides, or things would basically turn into Mad Max right up until the meteor hit.

Either way, it's not a nice future.
>>
Why not just nuke the meteor? We have enough prep time
>>
>>25362902
nigga you can't just break the rules. It clearly states that earth will be destroyed.
>>
>>25362902
I imagine it would be very, very difficult to actually get the right trajectory so it hits, as well as having enough firepower to destroy the meteor.

It's not good enough to just split into pieces, since even those would do some absolutley devastating damage. You'd need to practically vaporize it.

Also society descending into total anarchy would probably fuck with organization.
>>
>>25362902
Not the point of the thread, chump.
>>
What would you do if you were the scientist that discovered the asteroid.
>>
I'd make a transformation as a rock 'n' roll star.
>>
>>25363051
Keep that shit to myself nigga

Better to live in blissful ignorance, for as long as possible.
>>
>>25362971
We've landed probes on moving objects in space and that was with very little incentive to do so beyond scientific curiosity. With the full funding of major governments it would be quite easy to nuke something coming straight towards us. Trajectory algorithms track the paths of objects up to years in advance.

There's also been plans for high powered lasers to take care of smaller incoming pieces but it's been considered a huge waste to try (many, many billions of dollars) but again, that's small potatoes compared to saving the world.
>>
I would immediately quit my job and live it up
>>
>>25362993
Yes it is. Because the thread asks what do you think would happen. The most logical conclusion would be this. NASA or some space agency discovers the asteroid is on a path towards hitting earth. They will then figure out a way to destroy the asteroid, or to alter its course. This is exactly what would happen.
>inb4 OP here I forgot to mention there's no way for it to be destroyed or for its course to be altered
>>
>>25362971
>you would need to practically vaporize it
What is a nuclear warhead launched into outer space
>>
>>25363171
The point of the thread is about society and what you would do personally.

We're not on /sci/, we don't want boring, dry scientific speculation.
>>
>>25362835
If you knew you were going to die, why would you kill yourself early?
>>
>>25363208
Ok, I would hear about this meteor from the news. They would report that NASA or some space agency has discovered a meteor with a trajectory towards earth. The new would then say not to worry because NASA or some space agency has already come up with a plan or solution to stop the meteor.
>>
>>25363260
Fucking hell you're an autistic twat
>>
File: 1433068402393.gif (939 KB, 255x164) Image search: [Google]
1433068402393.gif
939 KB, 255x164
>learn that the we're all going to die
>was going to kill self anyway, no choice now
>relax and chill listening to your favorite music, watching your favorite movies and getting in touch with nature
>yfw the fucking normies rampage through and burn all your shit down
>>
>>25362902
You fool.

Even all the nuclear weaponry on the planet wouldn't stop a small asteroid that would wipe out all life.
>>
Spend the next several years being as hedonistic as physically and psychologically possible.
>>
>>25363445
All the nuclear weaponry could wipe out earth 100 times
Im sure it would be enough to deal with one space rock
>>
>>25363698
Uh, no. That's not how it works buddy.
>>
>>25363698
You could kill most of the life on the planet but you wouldn't leave a mark on the planet itself. Nukes are nowhere near as strong as you think.
>>
Buy a ticket to Canada and meet my first love again, this time I'll spend 5 years with her and die a happy man.
>>
File: 1451504606372.jpg (40 KB, 800x446) Image search: [Google]
1451504606372.jpg
40 KB, 800x446
>>25363171
>NASA proposes a plan to change the asteroid's trajectory
>congress turns it down because there's an election cycle coming up and they don't want to spend any more money
>private businesses start to fund NASA themselves
>looters and rioters start destroying property/infrastructure and end up preventing the supplies from getting where they need to
mankind is doomed
>>
You could survive an asteroid impact of you were up in the mountains on the opposite side of the planet from where the asteroid hits. Problem would be the next few decades when the dust cloud above earth wipes out plant life and changes the climate. You'd need a lot of food and the weaponry to protect that food from scavengers trying to steal it. That's why the safest place to live is far away from everyone out in the country somewhere with arable sustainable land and some livestock, as well as lots of weaponry.
>>
>>25362650
>five years
too much time, m8
what about tomorrow?
>>
there'd be a ton of innawoods prepers going out and starting communities as far north/south as you can get.

isis would get a huge boost, probably conquer a lot more of the middle east.

you'd see an uptick in crime and a breakdown of societal norms. lots of fucking whoever you want because the consequences don't matter.

there might be some attempt to keep law and order but honestly society has not faced such an existential threat where even the government and law enforcement know their doomed. most would go protect their families or use their access to weaponry to build their own temporary fiefdoms.

as shitty as the movie was, it'd probably be a lot like World War Z. just replace the zombies with hedonists. complete breakdown of society and small groups of people band together to survive but pretty much know there's no escaping.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.