[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back before you could pirate almost every Chinese cartoon ever,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 460x628
Back before you could pirate almost every Chinese cartoon ever, how did you watch anime and what's some pre-Internet comfy memories of watching glorious japanamation?
>be me
>lived in a place where the local cable company didn't have scifi channel
>go to my grandmas over Christmas
>turn on the cable box and tune to channel 53 for the SciFi channel because I loved monster movies
>watch this violent cartoon about war on motorcycles
>my eyes are glued to the TV
>turns out to be a movie called Venus Wars
>It was like no cartoon I've ever seen before
>instantly wanted more
>Robotech was shown on early toonami before they had tom
>hooked forever
Too bad a lot of newer anime doesn't have the same appeal
>>
>>25347116
>went to grandma's flipping through the channels late night
>see an anime about tanks and cat girls
>its New Dominion: Tank Police
>Comfy futuristic setting
>I miss the feeling anime gave me as a kid
>>
>>25347116
There was a toonami before Tom? I just remember DBZ and Gundam Wing.
>>
>>25347523

yeah. I forget his name. I feel like I was a big purple mech or something
>>
>>25347557
It was Moltar Familia, he was from Space Ghost.
>>
>>25347523
Yeh, it was a dude named Moltar. Block used to be part anime, part old action cartoons like He-Man and Thundercats.
>>
>>25347116
>japanamation

*Japanimation

>mfw there really are people this stupid
>>
File: 1450826086538.gif (433 KB, 350x343) Image search: [Google]
1450826086538.gif
433 KB, 350x343
>>25347116
I'm not the only one, huh? I remember being like 8 and toonami playing wildly inappropriate anime. I thought it was the coolest fucking thing I ever saw, so when it was late and no one was around I would watch toonami before bed.
>>
>ask resident weeb in /r9k/ skype group what anime i should watch if i wanted to get into it
>his advice was just "don't"

i do not and never will understand the appeal of anime, especially when people who like anime recommend i just never watch anime
>>
File: 1414113832745.png (341 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
1414113832745.png
341 KB, 500x525
>>25347116
>Wake up too early one day in elementary school and see Sailor Moon come on a local network at 5:30AM
>Become infatuated with the style of animation
>All throughout elementary try and scrape together what tiny bits of anime media I can come across
>They start running Tenchi Muyo! in freshman year of high school and I am ecstatic beyond words
>Local comic mega store advertises an anime marathon night
>Finally, I meet people who have my same interests and are into the stuff I think of as cool
>Dozens of us bond over grainy bootleg video tapes for hours on end and I come away with the feeling that maybe life is going to be okay after all

This was a decade and a half ago. The comic store went out of business. I'm getting a divorce because I caught my wife sleeping with a guy from the military. I live paycheck to paycheck through an unstable job because the company I used to work for went bankrupt while I was out of the country. I want off this ride
>>
>>25347932
Bitch, you don't know what the 80s & early 90s were like. We were happy that there was even a word to describe what the fuck these Jap cartoons were.
>>
>>25347116
there is no chinese cartoon on TV anymore, anybody knows why?
>>
Columbia House Anime Video club

delivered a new tape every month

Akira, Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Barefoot Gen etc.
>>
>>25348438
there's still cartoon network

or you could try crunchyroll
>>
File: 1406556163718.jpg (68 KB, 985x767) Image search: [Google]
1406556163718.jpg
68 KB, 985x767
It's a longshot, but I'm desperate to figure out this anime.

It aired on toonami. Likely back in the 90's or early 00's.

>Art style was fairly serious looking.
>All I remember about the episode was that the male character was stranded at sea on a giant slap of sheet metal, presumably a piece of a wrecked ship.
>He had made a tent out of cloth scraps to protect himself from the sun
>qt fish girl with fangs started bringing him fish from the ocean, which he would eat alive
>Episode was almost entirely silent, little/no dialouge

And thats it.

Another one I'm pretty sure was on toonami:

>Students (?) descend into this basement area
>giant bug face thing is hanging from ceiling
>one of them shoots it with something, it explodes into goo
>mostly black and white colors
>character (girl?) proceeds to have a monolouge about not hating herself anymore
>>
>>25349512
The first one is Blue Submarine No. 6
>>
File: 1275781290751.gif (347 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1275781290751.gif
347 KB, 360x240
>>25349569
FUCK that's it. Thank you so much anon.
>>
There was basically no anime on TV when I was growing up, aside from Moomins which I didn't even know was produced in Japan until fairly recently. I remember once seeing something, but I have no idea what it was. Almost certainly movie or OVA because it seemed pretty dark.*

I'm not sure when anime started being shown on TV here. I remember a few movies in the mid 00s (Memories and the Cowboy Bebop movie, and maybe something else). Pokemon and Dragon Ball and such started running at some point, though by then I had no interest in them and was barely watching TV anyway.

It's good that I didn't grow up watching Toonami or whatever, because more often than not it gave people misleading ideas about anime.

* I think a guy put his hand in a girl's pants, or something, and then she ran away. The guy went after her and found her dead. This likely took place in a city. That's all I remember. Ring any bells?
>>
File: 5a1e3bd4.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
5a1e3bd4.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>>25347116
Hard mode cuz born in the 80's. Had to hope there was a VHS copy at the video rental store. Otherwise you were pretty much fucked until you were old enough to go the the city to browse the specialized stores who did not have shit to begin with. That's why I'm happy to still be alive in the 21th century even though SJW's exist. Thanks based satan.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.